Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / First Tennessee can blow me.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 1:23 am

I've had an account with them since I was 19, but I've been fucked by them more times this year than any previous. For the new year, I'm switching all of our accounts.

Who have y'all had good experiences with?
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 1:30 am

I have shitty experiences with First Tennessee too this year. They can suck it.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 1:30 am

I have been OK since switching to Bank of America this year. I always was a member of Union Planters and Memphis Teachers Credit Union...loved both. Is UP still around?
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 1:37 am

shitty experiences with First Tennessee too this year

Seriously. It's fucked up that at the ATM, the automated phone service and online can give you three completely different answers as to how much money you have.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 1:38 am

Union Planters got bought by Regions. I've thought about looking into them since they're close at work.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 2:24 am

if washington mutual has branches in tennessee, you should look into banking with them.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 2:31 am

i'm over bank of america. they done pissed me off. a few times over.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 2:56 am

I hate Fifth Third Bank, but only because they were complete assholes when I pointed out how they had cost me lots of money for something that was their fault. They had some "processing problem" and because of that I bounced over $1000 worth of checks, and then they tried to charge me an overdraft charge for each check (that THEY fucked up). When I demanded that they credit my account for the charges, they said "well, we'll see what we can do". Eventually I got it straightened out, but it was FUCKING HELL along the way.

I know nothing about First Tennessee and realize that this post adds absolutely no value to this thread. I should probably be sorry for posting it, but my I am not. I blame my hatred for Fifth Third Bank.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 3:17 am

Bank of America is AWFUL...go with Washington Mutual...
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 3:19 am

Independent Bank. They hire people with comprehension AND customer service skills. You can also use First Tennessee\'s ATM machines without a fee.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 3:40 am

I go with Regions, but only because they have a good deal on small business accounts. Although earlier tonight I was checking my stuff on line and discovered they debited my account in the amount of $306.31 for a $75 dollar check I had written. Nobody could explain how this happened, since the check clearly said $75 on it. So now it will take atleast 48 hours to get the $231 put back in.

But besides little shit like that I find them to be good and very convenient since they have locations every mile or so all over the city.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 3:42 am

See if you're eligible to join a credit union. Then do something else, because a bank that doesn't have ATMs is a bank that sucks.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 4:04 am

I agree with Nikki. I quit First Tennessee a year ago after dealing with their phone-bank morons one time too many. Switched to Independent Bank and they've been great and you get interest on checking. You pull up to the window and they know your name. Amazing.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 4:18 am

I keep my money in a metal tin buried under my bedroom window.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 4:31 am

See if you're eligible to join a credit union.
Actually, I'm a member of First South, but I don't use that place for regular banking.

Independent Bank
Do they have online banking?
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 5:41 am

Buy a metal detector and hang out near Luke's place. When you see him leave, ask to borrow a shovel. Use it to beat yourself senseless. It'll be just like using 1st TN, only easier.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 5:42 am

You pull up to the window and they know your name. Amazing.
Same deal with my insurance agent.

Computers and a fake smile go a long way.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 7:26 am

I fucking hate them so much.
I'm in the black, not in the red.
For the past 3 days, every time I go to an ATM or POS debit, it comes up "insufficient funds".
Dumbass customer service person told me earlier this evening, "I see your account is positive, sir. Your card will refresh at midnight."
(first of all, this makes no sense; a card and a PIN are like a user/password to your direct account - all the inner workings happen beyond the terminal/ATM, they happen between the bank and your account the "card" doesn't do anything, money is not "stored" in the card; I'm pretty up on my shit as to how this works).
After midnight, guess what happened?
Same shit.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 1:33 pm

I'm pretty up on my shit as to how this works

it's true
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Im with Independent Bank and have never had any problems. Checkem out.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 2:28 pm

Not a big FT fan either. I've had some issues with them this year.

I've actually started a 2nd checking account with Regions. We'll see how that goes; if I don't have any problems I may wind up moving everything overr there before long.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Sounds like I may be going back to "Regions" next year.

Anyone know if you once had an account with a credit union but closed it when you moved, if they will allow you to re-open it?
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 3:05 pm

I've been shafted so many times by the available balance/current balance thing on the online banking. I saw a bunch of pending transactions that were going to clear and it was like quarter to five so I went and transferred money from my savings to my checking (to cover the shit) but they overdrafted me anyway (running the first and largest one through first and then charging me 32 bucks for each other item). They said that any transaction not processed before noon at an ATM or at a branch would not be counted until noon of the next day -I was like, WTF? They said that I needed to call and have money transferred by phone. Fuck that. They were also suppossed to credit me 100 bucks as a good faith credit when that shit happens that they neglected to do.

Anyways, they decided that I had been overdrafted too many times and so recently, when I deposited a large check, they held it for five business days for some reason? WTF sense does that make? They're going to cause me to overdraft several more times as a penalty for overdrafting like 2 or 3 times this year? Fuck those assclowns.

I still need to start my fuck Speaker Services thread.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 3:09 pm

i had that shit happen to me before when i put CASH into my account. isn't that supposed to credit your account immediately? i thought it was, but apparently if your account is about to overdraft, they don't give a fuck and hold off on it til they can get every last bit of money they can out of you. bastards. i hate banks. i'm going to start burying my money in my backyard. or not. cuz i don't trust nunyas. heheh. :D
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 3:14 pm

For all the BS everyone has had with Bank of America (I have not), I do all transferring online, it posts immediately and have never have a problem.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 4:31 pm

bancorpsouth, baby. they do me right. unfortunately I have to go to Southaven or Germantown to do any banking, but with direct deposit and my habit of getting additional cash whenever I hit up Schnuck's it doesn't really matter. I prob have to go to a real life bank once every three months.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 4:39 pm

have had problems with independent. personal and business. we're still there, but looking elsewhere.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 5:16 pm

Banks suck.

One of my many beefs with Regions is that they stopped allowing deposits at the ATM because of "fraud". Which is a total fucking lie, of course. They want to make it as inconvenient as possible to deposit money while making it easy to withdraw money. More overdraft fees that way.

In conclusion, fuck banks.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 6:05 pm | Edited by: Windy

I've always had better luck at credit unions than banks. If you have a debit card, why do you need lots of ATM's? Most places will let you get up to $100 through debit...

I liked regions for the short while I had my account there.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 8:33 pm

Man FUCK First Tennessee! The past couple of months they have fucked me with overdraft charges left and right. All because you can never get an accurate depiction of exactly where your money is and how much you have. I mean, seriously, it should NOT take FOUR FUCKING DAYS to post an ATM withdrawal you made from one of their OWN FUCKING ATMS!!!

I've been banking w/ them since I was 15 and am definitely switching to Independent next year. Hell, the only reason I've been w/ FT so long is the fact that their ATMs are everywhere.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 8:41 pm

I'm not sure if it is the case with Independendent bank as well, but I know that Paragon and some of the smaller ones let you use the First Tennessee Bank ATMs without any added fees.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 9:00 pm

I've heard this is the case with Independent.
Posted: Dec 20, 2007 9:54 pm

One of my many beefs with Regions is that they stopped allowing deposits at the ATM because of "fraud".

FUCK THAT.
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 1:00 am

SAMBEAUX--- A lot of banks will deduct the withdrawals BEFORE crediting the deposits on your account, as a way to make that overdraft profit.
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 1:07 am

personal and business. we're still there, but looking elsewhere.

Check Regions for both. I use them for both and have very few problems. If there are any problems, its usually my fault for not balancing my account correctly
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 2:43 am

A lot of banks will deduct the withdrawals BEFORE crediting the deposits on your account, as a way to make that overdraft profit.

AND they do it from greatest to least, regardless of timing. Batch processing can be a mofo.
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 3:26 am

A lot of banks will deduct the withdrawals BEFORE crediting the deposits on your account, as a way to make that overdraft profit.

knock wood, BofA hasn't done that with me
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 2:47 pm

Independent Bank. They hire people with comprehension AND customer service skills. You can also use First Tennessee\'s ATM machines without a fee.

Yes! I love my bank!
Posted: Dec 21, 2007 2:55 pm

very convenient since they have locations every mile
This is good for jerry since he needs daily help fixing whatever he's messed up!

Oh and JS, Independent Bank does have online banking. My only complaint is that the ATM on Union is often down. Fortunately, there's a 1st TN right across the street.

I'm also a City of Memphis Credit Union member. I like them a lot, and you can use 1st TN's ATMs as well. However, unless you're a city employee, you have to be sponsored to join.
Posted: Dec 22, 2007 2:39 pm

we used to love our independent bank. my neighbor is a VP. people are very nice.

they just could not do anything for us. their online banking sucks & they charge for it.

we're off to Bank Of America, who are giving us a line of credit where Independent couldn't.

for some reason, Bank of America had MUCH less beauracracy than our local little Independent bank. WTF?
Posted: Dec 24, 2007 8:43 pm

I like Independent Bank...no problems so far(except when I deposited a $17,000 check..had to wait a full week for it to clear) but they had the good sense to put my cute girlfriend in a commercial...
Posted: Dec 27, 2007 2:00 pm

my neighbor is a VP.

Is that the guy whose pit bull hung itself?
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 2:52 pm

I have been happy with First South Credit Union
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 5:57 pm

nope, not those neighbors.

love their ads, love their building, love their flat-screen tvs.

don't like their banking action.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 2:12 pm

Independent Bank has free internet banking now (even though it says they charge on the terms & conditions, my new personal banker said that they're not supposed to charge and she would fix it if they did).
Posted: May 7, 2008 9:41 am

So it happened again, I'm overdrawn through my own shitty money management skills.

Anyways, Independent has only charged me the $35 NSF fee on three items (close to or exceeding the amount of $35), all the 5 and 10 dollar purchases (about 6 or 7 others) did not get the NSF fee (cool). Nothing was worse than First Tennessee charging me $35 for a $2.33 charge and like 7 others...
Posted: May 7, 2008 10:29 am

Spoke too soon. RAPED!
Posted: May 7, 2008 12:44 pm | Edited by: tigergreen

sambeaux, go back to FT & see what else they can do for you...

i only have the $10.00 fee whenever checking gets overdrawn...no NSF fee. i seem to remember that we demanded a line of credit when we opened our account with them, since that's what i had at what was then AmSouth.
Posted: May 7, 2008 12:58 pm

go back to FT & see what else they can do for you...

$35 was my standard fee over at FT.

After talked to a banker about the NSF stuff, they said that if any outstanding charges came through today, they would wave the 35 dollar NSF fees because I had made a deposit (that wouldn't technically be available today). So they're still working out better for me.

I think the lower NSF fees are for more advanced kinds of accounts.
Posted: May 7, 2008 2:52 pm

more advanced kinds of accounts.

we do have our mortgage with first horizon too, so maybe they did some kind of bundle deal for us or something. that's the only reason i can think of.
Posted: May 8, 2008 1:44 am

bank of america keeps royally fucking me every chance they get. i feel like i should be mailing them tubes of lube every time i put any money into that account.

i ended up putting CASH into my checking account and then that night transferring money over to pay my credit card. next thing i knew a few days later, the credit card rejected the money and sent it back to my checking account, saying that my checking account had insufficient funds at the time. they pretended like it "overdrafted" my checking account (35 dollar fee) and then also charged my credit card a "return check fee" of 35 dollars. EVEN THOUGH I HAD THE FUCKING MONEY SHOWING AS BEING IN MY GODDAMN ACCOUNT. i talked to the stupid fuck customer service person who couldn't remove the shit. talked to his stupid fuck supervisor who was a super cockgobbler and wouldn't take the shit off of my credit card and i had to talk to the fuckstick for at least 15 minutes before i convinced him it would be a good idea to take off the 35$ fee from my checking account. the credit card was being a shitmonger even though it's the SAME BANK issuing the card. got stuck with paying a $35 fee for a returned check that was really a transfer that shouldn't've went through if i truly had no money in my account.

the stupid fuck said that i had to read the fine print on my account because even though i could use my check card and buy shit at a store or online and would be fine and not overdraft my account, because i had put CASH into my account after 2pm, i couldn't transfer the money because it supposedly wasn't there yet. EVEN THOUGH THE TRANSFER TAKES THE BANK 3 DAYS TO PROCESS. how would they know the money wasn't in there yet if it takes 3 days to process cuz it would've been in there 3 days later. just some way to wrangle more fucking money out of folks.
Posted: May 8, 2008 1:49 am

I heard from an old friend in the "business" that the past year or so for banks is all about "covering losses" due to the housing/credit fallout. They are all "dinging" folks for anything; some will complain, some won't. Some of those that will, will move on, and that's fine because in the short term, their debt is "covered".
Posted: May 8, 2008 2:09 am

because i had put CASH into my account after 2pm, i couldn't transfer the money because it supposedly wasn't there yet.

you just gotta know at what time of day each financial institution posts, etc

i've gone thru this a few times w/ each bank - but luckily, the people who answered my complaining call reversed the fees

just because the money is there, they are STILL operating in a parallel universe where they go by "post time" rather than what is there physically... depositing cash is next to no good. i pay my b of a credit card w/ cash at ATMs instead of transferring from within the same bank - it saves headaches in the long run

on the other hand, the credit union i despise handles cash like cash. they just suck in many other ways which is why i have only $5 in their institution - just to keep my account since i've been a customer there for 45 years - it may come in handy some day
Posted: May 8, 2008 8:24 am

watch out if you're using your debit card as the gas station, too. they'll place a hold on up to 75 bucks (maybe more, now that 75 bucks buys about 5 gallons of gas) even if you only bought $20 worth of gas.
Posted: May 8, 2008 8:28 am

Aren't any of the banks/credit unions offering overdraft protection anymore?

MATCU used to offer a certain amount of overdrafts each 6 mos. no fees or charges until you surpassed the limit. that was one of the things i loved about using them.
Posted: May 8, 2008 9:13 am

3 words.

Teacher's Credit Union
Posted: May 8, 2008 9:16 am

you can get overdraft protection at first tenn but they don't offer it at all of the branches, i think you have to got to the one out by coach cal's restaurant, not in midtown or the one by wolfchase
Posted: May 8, 2008 9:51 am

do they have dum dums?
Posted: May 8, 2008 10:02 am

watch out if you're using your debit card as the gas station, too. they'll place a hold on up to 75 bucks (maybe more, now that 75 bucks buys about 5 gallons of gas) even if you only bought $20 worth of gas.

truer words were never spoken

two customer service people at credit card companies told me this after i asked them to remove authorization that were still hanging on (for $75) even though the $15 purchase already cleared/was presented/whatever you call it --- they specifically said: GO INSIDE AND SWIPE THE CARD FOR ONLY THE AMOUNT OF GAS YOU WANT TO BUY
Posted: May 8, 2008 10:12 am

cleared/was presented/whatever you call it

settled
Posted: May 8, 2008 11:38 am

I'v e been warned over and over NOT to do buisines with First Tennessee by many trusted people.
Posted: May 8, 2008 11:46 am

but you've blown everyone at First TN. what does that say?
Posted: May 8, 2008 12:23 pm | Edited by: miss linda

It says to me that you live in a gay fantacy world, and need professional help with your oral fixation.

Just because dtrain goner-reah, and littlemisshotdogbreath posted stupid bullshit while they were drunk dosent make your gay fantacy world the norm.
Posted: May 8, 2008 1:08 pm

you're a gay fantacy
Posted: May 8, 2008 1:13 pm

Teacher's Credit Union

yep and last time i checked they started taking customers that weren't teachers or family of teachers. just sayin.
Posted: May 8, 2008 1:14 pm

we just said fuck first tnsee.. i pulled out all of our savings and i put it underneath a flowerpot on my front porch..next to the habachi
Posted: May 8, 2008 3:00 pm

i put it underneath a flowerpot on my front porch..next to the habachi

road trip!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®