Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Tell me about Minglewood hall
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 2:49 pm

The Truckers are playing there soon. I've never heard of it. What's the story?
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 2:59 pm

Not open and wont be until May-June 2008. Its on Madison in midtown where the old String and Theives(well it also used to be on Union) used to be. Across the street and just west of the old Antenna Club. A huge area thats going to have a nice size music venue as well as some other stuff. I was by there yesterday and they have a long, long way to go but there is progress being made. I think they thought they would be open in February but thats not happening. That DBT date will more than likely be changed I would imagine.
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 3:16 pm

Is this in the old bread factory?

(thanks)

they're saying march opening now, i'm pretty sure.

will be interesting!
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 4:11 pm

Is this in the old bread factory?

Yes...the old Tastee bread factory...nothing like stumbling out of the Well at 3 in the morning and smelling that bread...
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 4:40 pm

My moneys on may.
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 8:18 pm

My money's on a late-summer date with a bankruptcy lawyer unless they change the name to something that's not gay. Minglewood Hall sounds like a dorm at an all-boys prep school.
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 8:19 pm

My money's on a late-summer date with a bankruptcy lawyer unless they change the name to something that's not gay. Minglewood Hall sounds like a dorm at an all-boys prep school.

POST OF THE DAY!
and true too
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 8:49 pm

Minglewood Hall sounds like a dorm at an all-boys prep school.

One of those ironic names? Seems like an all-male environment would cut down on the mingling.
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 9:09 pm

No chance for bankruptcy. The folks behind this deal can afford to renovate the place, get it going and if it dosent work...oh well. Although (chuckle) it does sort of sound like a dorm at a prep school, there is some lore behind it Ive been told. Apparently back in the day when blues musicians would gather and play together it was refered to as a Minglewood. Not my choice of names, but as long as they book some decent bands I hope it does well. If i didnt go to places because I didnt like what they were named I probably wouldnt leave the house. I personally cant stand the New Daisy, so hopefully this place can have some of those shows. Capacity will be about the same size I think.
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 9:19 pm

So what's up with NOCTURNAL across the street?

Sounds creepy and dark. OOOOOHHHH!
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 9:22 pm

I was told it was for the "alternative lifestyle".
Posted: Dec 19, 2007 9:31 pm

"Minglewood Blues" & "New Minglewood Blues" (updated by the Dead) = trad. blues songs

If you're ever in Memphis, better stop by Minglewood
The women down there, they don't mean a man no good

Re: Nocturnal Sounds creepy and dark. and a little like involuntary ejaculate.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 10:36 am | Edited by: zachary

i found this discussion while trying to find info about minglewood hall myself; unfortunately the skepticism about whether or not the venue would be completed by the time of the truckers show proved worth noting: according to the DBT site and DBT ticketing the show is now at the daisy with glossary opening.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 11:55 am | Edited by: paristheatre

there's a band named 'glossary'? hell, why not.
will Word Bank be making an appearance too?

I'm going to see Glossary at Minglewood Hall, Yall!

for fucks sake
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 12:56 pm

Opening acts: The Cross References, and Syllabus.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 2:32 pm

Solo performance by Dewey D. Smalls
formerly of Core Curriculum
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 2:43 pm

With a cameo by The Footnotes.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Room looks awesome! This will bring a lot bigger shows to Memphis. They got some work to do before opening, but this will be great for Memphis & mid-town.
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 6:20 pm

Glossary dates from a time when thumb-braking in a dictionary resulted in band names. The 'ol pre-plural nouns era. Though I've dug some of their Thin Lizzy-isms, "Drive By Truckers" is one of the worst band names of all time. Rank it up there with "Ha Ha Tonka" AND "Glossary." AND "State Bird." Come on, people, put a little more into it. And if someone gives their business an ironic name, they deserve to fail. You don't see "Seize the Clay" tearing up Poplar Avenue any more, do you? Or "Tut Uncommon Gifts" (sic?) having a parking problem over Madison and Tucker? I seriously doubt there's any irony in "Minglewood Hall." I would hope not.
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 1:16 am

Minglewood? Thats the most un-rocking est name I've ever heard. "hey yall, i'm goin down to the ol MINGLE to get wasted." They should call it "bands with busses". Ha!

who cares...Hope it does wonders for midtown.
Can't wait to see GONERFEST V there!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 10:33 am

they should call it DINGLE WOOD
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 12:47 pm | Edited by: miss linda

misslinda wood
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 5:31 pm

minglewood
minglewierd
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 5:44 pm

Anyone know about the upcoming Silos, Jayhawks, Blue Mountain, Dash Rip Rock, Steve Earle, Blasters show that's coming there?
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 5:58 pm

That's Gross!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®