Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Midtown target axed by the mayor
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 6:09 pm

damn the mayor. Ryan's midtown blog reports that the mayor put an end to Target plans. This is really the last straw for me. Do too many haters shop at Target? Who the hell wants a wal-mart?
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 12:20 am

Well, this is a rumor about a rumor, so I wouldn't get too excited about this "outrage" just yet.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 1:57 am

\"Judge: Mr. Hutz w\'ve been in here for four hours. Do you have any evidence at all?

Hutz: Well, Your Honor. We\'ve got plenty of hearsay and conjecture, those are \'kinds\' of evidence.\"

He quoted nervously.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 4:26 am

this made me throw up in my mouth a little.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 5:45 am

Thanks Lettuce Knot, I'll hold my outrage until its too late.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 1:53 pm

All I'm saying is before you start getting all pissed about a story posted on a blog citing a "friend who has a friend" who says Herenton quashed a deal, you might want to make sure it's true first. Or not. You can do whatever you want with your outrage... hold it, pinch it, use it as a coaster. Don't care. And if the rumor's true, I'm on your side.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 12:43 am

Now I love Target as much as the next fool, but they are easily as "local business crushing" as Wal Mart. They just look better doing it. Much better. And they sell Method. Let's just keep things honest.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 6:42 am

There's no local business to crush in Crosstown, unless they get a killer vietnamese section. I would hate it if they cut into Kroger and Walgreens's business though. Corporate Minnesotan bastards.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 6:47 am

Then again, I lost all indy cred the first time these ears heard Maroon 5, so what do I know?

"Is there anyone out there, cuz it's gettin' harder and harder to breath?"

Too true. Rock on Target!
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 5:47 pm

Hey, I am all for Target, but I just get a little annoyed that they escape the condemnation that hits Wal Mart, Home Depot etc etc, because they are exactly the same, they just are merchandising and marketing experts.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 7:40 pm

Target escapes condemnation by keeping their stores and parking lots clean and by catering to urban dwellers as opposed to rednecks. They donate heavily in the community and try to present themselves as responsible corporate citizen as part of their marketing and merchandising plan. Its all about the dollars per share, but it also makes for a better fit in most cities.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 8:29 pm

Those reasons you listed are the reasons they escape condemnation for me as a consumer, but not exclusion from the "local business crusher" /shitty wages etc gang. You won't get any argument from me about it being a better place to shop when compared to Wal Mart or K Mart, though.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 8:52 pm

has there ever been a "good" publicly traded company?
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 9:53 pm

>has there ever been a "good" publicly traded company?

Cosco is listed as a "buy blue" company. Whether that makes them "good," or just smart counter-marketers, I couldn't say. But they sure as hell ain't coming to Crosstown. I've asked around about the Herenton rumor, and haven't been able to confirm or deny with some fairly inside sources. Most say they haven't heard anything about it. But, hey, it could be true.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 9:59 pm

And here's a comprehensive list of "blue" companies, rated on their human rights positions, employment practices, etc. fyi.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 10:10 pm

one of my major beefs with walmart is just the way they treat their employees. that whole shit with them making their employees work overtime without pay is a load of crap. that corporation doesn't need volunteers when they're raking in that amount of money per year. i'm sure that their ceo's certainly don't work for free.

and i wouldn't bet on that "blue" list too much. they're a profit-minded company, and i would think that somewhere in all that, they're getting some sort of kickbacks in some respect.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 10:29 pm

I think they buy their way onto the list... I am pretty sure that Nike and Gap are not known for great wages; Bed Bath & Beyond and Staples crush their local competition just like the rest of them.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 10:58 pm

target may be a local business crusher, but not quite on the same scale as wal-mart. i go to college in a town of under 100,000 people: it only has one target, but it has FOUR wal-marts. all of which attract the cream of the crop, as you can imagine.
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 11:11 pm

Blood Bath & Beyond!
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:00 am

I guess we can all agree that they are all somewhat "bad" to some degree, but I rarely meet anyone who truly does not spend money in any Big Box business. Hell, we went to Walmart on Thanksgiving because they were the only game in town open up in the boonies where my dad lives. Our culture has become so accustomed to instant gratification that we actually forgive and/or overlook a lot of nasty things. I am not talking down on anyone, cos yeah, like I said, Me. Walmart. Thanksgiving. Money exchanged for goods.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:23 am | Edited by: the 1 and only

I think that it boils down to the NIMBY theorem.

Who would you rather have go up in your neighborhood- Target or Wal-Mart?

And why?

In three words or less.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:23 am

blah. blah. blah. i hate everyone.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:24 am

that's six. sorry, you're out.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 7:20 pm

this certainly isn't meant to come across as holier-than-thou grandstanding, but I really never, ever go to these places*. I think I went to Wal Mart exactly 2 years ago with jerryd and Yvonne and I've probably been to Target exactly one time since then. I'm spoiled in that I'm literally a block and a half away from Walgreen's and Schnuck's. I can easily justify the extra $$$ I spend there when I factor in the time+gas+headache. Also, shopping in general gives me the hives.

*caveats:
It would probably be different if I had to buy for other people.
I go to Home Depot. A lot.
If Target were in midtown, I would probably go.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 7:41 pm

Where do you get basic stuff like socks?
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 7:48 pm

the last time I bought socks was when I was in Tupelo for work and I hit up a JC Penney.

This was over two years ago. I am a disgrace.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 7:57 pm

Where do you get basic stuff like socks?

hemant, doesn't mary knit?

i mean, really. this doctoring is all fine and good, but her man needs socks!
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 7:58 pm

If I could knit, I would totally make myself clothes.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 8:03 pm

Now you're just knit-picking.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 8:13 pm

maybe i'll knit-picket walmart
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 8:42 pm

I'm spoiled in that I'm literally a block and a half away from Walgreen's and Schnuck's.

the way Walgreen's pop up on every corner, they're almost as evil as Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 8:50 pm

but her man needs socks!

no kidding! my dogs and dryer eat all of mine.

but knitting needles could be deadly weapons, so I'm not asking her.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 9:09 pm

the way Walgreen's pop up on every corner, they're almost as evil as Wal-mart, Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

Not to mention the people who work at the Walgreen's @ Union and MacLean are so damned slow. Need to budget at least 45 minutes whenever I go there.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 9:10 pm

true that. I just can't be bothered to fight traffic on my way out east (or W. Mem), park in their massive lots, deal with the aisles and lines of consumption-frenzied mouth-breathers, the sour (rightfully so, prob.) and often imbecilic clerks. it just loses all vestiges of "convenience" IMHO.

but again, I would likely go to Target if it were a hop, skip and a stumble from my house. It's really more a matter of convenience than politically-charged righteousness.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 9:13 pm

fuck a Wal Mart though.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 9:22 pm

and to be fair, my recollection of the infrequent trips to Target off Colonial (?) weren't that awful.
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 9:57 pm

Walgreens sucks because they don't carry any booze here. Schnucks is overpriced, Kroger is a horrible company that treats their employees like shit and Target has clothes I'll actually wear. Rite Aid wins.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 12:51 am

Three reasons why rite aid is better than walgreens:

A. Walgreens will have 3 dozen people in line, while Rite Aid across the street is almost empty. Always great if you're in a hurry.

2. Rite Aid has trees in the parking lot, which is nice.

D. Rite Aid sells beer. Since everything I buy from there goes into the budget as "drugs", I like the symmetry.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 12:59 am

rite aid has better clerks. the "new" girl with scars up and down her forearms is especially helpful. the stuttering dude is all cool, too.

and whatever the manager's name is, percy? something. he's all right.

all rite!

more bonuses: access from madison, mclean, and union!
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 1:13 am

another rite aid plus: panhandling action nowhere near as bad.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 1:24 am

The Rite Aid was hated when it initially came in an obliterized Helen of Memphis, but after getting to see the sweet smile of that awesome teenager wearing the WUTANG name plate and the long rolled plaits, well, I was in love with Rite Aid, right there and always.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 2:59 am

Rite-Aid is the stuff. They also don't lock down their condoms like Kroger, for instance ...
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 3:10 am

Rite-Aid typically sells beer cheaper than most grocery and convienience stores. I wish we had one in New Spain.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 3:49 am

I love Midtown Rite-Aid for all of the above -- more beer and less panhandling is enough for me, but yeah, they do have cool folks there too. Gotta mention the Grizzly Adams looking pharmacist who always seems to be catching smoke breaks in the parking lot when I stop by after work. Love it. (Props to one of their other pharmacists who pointed out that my $50 copay pill was in fact available as a $10 generic.)

The Rite-Aid in Poplar Plaza on the other hand, is one of the most surreal stores I've found in this town. It's always pretty much empty... and it's always DEATHLY quiet. No Musak, no retail hubbub, no nothing. Plus all of the shelves are still low, but there's nothing really to catch your eye up high. Sort of feels like a ghostly closeout store. But I sort of like that the cheap beer is in the very last cooler all the way in the farthest back corner of the store -- it almost feels like a death walk going all the way back there in such complete silence.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 4:05 am

I wish we had one in New Spain.

We did have one but it closed and hubbards hardware moved in. But that's o.k. because the old dude there knows his screws and can tell you the thread size from 8 paces.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 4:35 am

are you talking to yourself now jack?
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 5:20 am | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

Ive said it once and Ill say it again...The "New spain" thing bugs the shit outta me...who nick-named it that? There aint any spanish folks around there I bet...lets call it "New Michouacan" or perhaps "New Honduras", How about "New Chihuahua"..."New Central America", anything but "New Spain", I wish there was a "New Spain", I would love to have a place to get Paella, or perhaps 37 different varieties of ham...The Spanish dont deserve to be included in poor geographic and ethnic misrepresentation, they fucking invented cured meat...CURED MEAT, fuck the printing press, the artifical hip joint...CURED MEAT
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 5:50 am

Shit, VR, you live in "New Stadium"
Big box? Last one I was in was Home Depot when my brother needed PVC rated for drinking water.
Other than that, I'm all about "think personally, act mean"
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 5:50 am

And nothing mixes like alcohol and the internet!
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 5:53 am

I'm all about "think personally, act mean"

isn't that the credo of oh so many people?
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 5:54 am

Where is new spain? Can we call Pau Gasol's digs New Catalonia? I wonder if he has one of these in his outdoor nativity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer

Is it just me, or does it seem like the panhandlers sleep in the Rite Aid lot, but work at Walgreens?
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 6:25 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

The "New spain" thing bugs the shit outta me...
Spanish is a fine language that I don't speak, mostly; except to describe for the clerk at the gas station that "the gentleman in front of me would like $17.00 on pump number four" after she looks incredulously at him saying "You wnt what?"
Where is new spain?
Here.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 4:45 pm

I think that would be
" el caballero delante de mí quisiera diecisiete dolares en la bomba número cuatro del combustible"

but I have only a tenuous grasp of spanglish
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 11:07 pm

now this is why i read.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 11:15 pm

oh ok. Noot-boosh.
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 11:18 pm

or "ighland ights"
Posted: Nov 29, 2007 11:26 pm

I do not shop. I hate to shop.

Target: two or three times a year...but the best of the bunch for me. Their clothes are soft. They have everything I'd ever want or need. Much more preferable than

WalMart: out Highway 14 (Jackson) once a year when I am desperate for cheap shit for my way extended family for Christmas.

Home Depot: absolutely my favorite Midtown acquisition in the last five years. I do a lot of gardening, for clients and otherwise. I must go there.

Walgreens: I love me some Walgreens. And, I don't drink much beer so that doesn't matter. There's one a quarter mile away from me on Jackson (hell, there's one a quarter mile away from anyone on any corner!) I found some incredible pink toe socks with monkeys eating bananas on them there that I'm going to give a lot of people for Christmas (I have a large extended family). Also, they give me buck off two packs of my cigs every time I go there. If things don't pop "career wise" you will find me working at Walgreens after the first of the year. I do think they drug test, though, and that might be problem. Also, (caveat) after two years of insanely frustrating pharmacy experiences I just quit giving them my monthly sixty bucks Rx business and took it to...

Ikes: Good for Rx and weird shit. Also good for benydryl in bulk.

Rite Aid: Don't think about this much because Walgreens is a quarter mile from me. Though, I did go there to find crutches for Alex not too long ago, and they were very, very helpful.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 12:48 am

My favorite things about Target are

*Method cleaning products
*Boots skincare products (good cheap foaming facial cleanser)
*Deals on shaving cream and toothpaste
*Good pillows, also cheap
*Decent wash cloths, bath rugs and towels
*Basic tees, turtlenecks, jackets and trousers for work that you can find on sale
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 12:51 am

Damn girl, that's a long and detailed list!
"The clothes are soft" is about the best I can do. Oh, and they do have those wasabi peas in the can that John loves.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 12:55 am

pillows! that's what I need. I don't think I've bought a new pillow, um... ever.
Seriously, I'm a mess.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 1:04 am

I shop there at least once a month. Like I said, I like it but it bugs me that I like it because I know they are just reallllllly good at the marketing con. I am not fond of being conned.

There are better looking cheap clothes at Forever 21, by the way. Hint: NEVER by a printed top from Target because you'll think you are looking all cute then you will pass some generic girl down the street about 3 days later wearing the same printed top. Keep it basic.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 1:14 am

"ighland ights"

Highland Heights is not New Spain.
Property value goes up almost 30K on that side of sam cooper.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 4:42 am

Archer Farms stuff is really good. The target brand canned foods look nice when you line them up in the pantry too.

Highland Heights is north of Summer between Graham and Nutbush, which used to be just the area right around National Cemetery. High Point Terrace is where you buy a $100k house for $300k.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 4:44 am

Highland Heights is north of Summer between Graham and Nutbush
You are wrong. This area is called New Spain.

High Point Terrace is where you buy a $100k house for $300k.
You are right about that.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 5:35 am

I stand corrected.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 5:45 am

I went to the Pancho's in New Spain for dinner tonight. My 2 year old daughter, who is now in the habit of looking for christmas lights, said she loved the beautiful purple lights as I turned into the parking lot at white station and summer.

I just threw up in my mouth for the fourth time tonight.

Speaking of things in my mouth tonight (HI-0H!), I don't know if real New Spaniards eat tamales with gravy, but those things at Pancho's are de-licious. Plus, they served me Yuengling in a frozne glass with a lime and salt, which I thought was endearing. It showed up on my bill as a Michelob Ultra.

Michelob Ultra is now available in a Pomegranate flavor, which makes it low carb and full of antioxidants (probably). I think this is a step in the right direction.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 6:15 am

she loved the beautiful purple lights as I turned into the parking lot at white station and summer.
This is hilarious. My Jesus-freak 3rd-grade niece told my son that the girl on the sign is "praying".

It showed up on my bill as a Michelob Ultra.
This is even more hilarious, and true as the day is long. One time, for lunch (and Wire can back this up), ate there and we spent over an hour and a half waiting on service (wait for the waitress, wait for our food, wait for waitress to get off her third smoke break, wait for the bill, wait for change, etc.). The fambly still goes up there some nights, though.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 7:27 am

ikes
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 9:56 pm

I like going to the one in West Memphis better because it feels like I'm going on a trip out of town.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 10:01 pm

Rite- Aid only sells Pepsi- no coke. fuck that shit.
Posted: Nov 30, 2007 10:18 pm

True.
It sucked.
Not that they care, not that you care, but I'm never going back.
The food's pretty boring, anyway.
Posted: Dec 1, 2007 4:57 am

I like going to the one in West Memphis better because it feels like I'm going on a trip out of town.

It feels like that if you are going there from West Memphis too.
Posted: Dec 1, 2007 5:08 am

Where is new spain?

Jack made up "New Spain" all on his own.
He just doesn't like to have to tell folks that he lives in Berclair or Nutbush.
Posted: Dec 1, 2007 5:17 am

Nutbush was on The First 48 recently.
Posted: Dec 1, 2007 3:52 pm

murder at the sweden kreme?
Posted: Dec 1, 2007 4:10 pm

No, it was a robbery. Some black kid's game was holding up Mexicans/Guatemalans on Fridays in Nutbush. He held up this kid who was in some neighborhood Latino gang (I wish I could recall the name, Crazy Latinos or something) who called inside to his white friend (also in the Crazy Latinos, which prompted the white cops discussing the whole nature of the "Wigger" or "Watino", if you will) to get a gun.

That guy ran out and gave the guy a gun, the original Crazy Latino shot him.

Some old Nutbush lady heard and saw the whole thing and was not afraid to tell the police...case closed!
Posted: Dec 1, 2007 4:14 pm

P.S. The gang is called K.A.L.--Krazy Ass Latinos.
Posted: Dec 1, 2007 5:25 pm

oh my.
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 1:48 am | Edited by: olberto

Oh Life was beautiful when I could still shop at Skaggs and buy Carling Black Label and Chips Ahoy for the Friday night party in my dorm room at Southwestern....

Don't talk to me about this Target...
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 1:57 am

Did you go to Southwestern with Billy Kennedy?
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 3:32 am

He was a class or two behind me.
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 3:37 am

just wonderin. He's a friend of mine.
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 4:06 am

To give an age difference, I bought Tiger Beat's and candy at Skaggs.
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 4:29 pm

another slight age difference - I went to visit my aunt who worked at Skaggs just before they changed the name to Osco
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 4:37 pm

I remember when it was Katz.
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 5:23 pm

To give an age difference, I bought Tiger Beat's and candy at Skaggs.

I played Ms. Pac Man & Centipede at Skaggs.
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 5:12 am

I also recall Katz...my favorite store sign of all time.
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 11:04 pm

...looks like the Target may be closer to reality:

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/StoryLead.aspx?id=100502

Midtown Target Closer to Reality, Plans Suggest

ANDY MEEK | The Daily News

A 26.27-acre development plan has been filed for the site at Poplar Avenue and Watkins Street, long expected to be the future home of a new Target retail store.

Minus a definitive answer on the retail giant's plans for the Midtown development, a proposal filed Thursday with the Memphis and Shelby County Office of Planning and Development shows a major redevelopment in the works.

The project – officially called the Midtown Memphis Planned Development – is comprised of more than 90 individual lots or parcels, clustered south of Poplar and on both sides of Watkins. The developers are proposing a mix of uses for the property, including small and large retail shops, restaurants and medical offices.

Approval also will be sought to permit apartments or condominium spaces above the retail shops. Target has reportedly expressed interest in building at the site but has not yet finalized a deal for the Midtown property.

Florida-based WSG Development Co. bought nearly 80 parcels at the site back in May, an $11.6 million deal comprised of several land transactions. The company also filed a $14 million construction loan through Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.

Target's reported interest in the Midtown site has created a buzz of anticipation, especially since April. That's when the retail giant – the second-largest in the U.S. – announced it would ramp up its U.S. presence by 25 percent through 2011, opening about 100 new stores each year.
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 5:25 pm | Edited by: tigergreen

the flyer has a layout this week of what the whole crosstown/WSG project could look like...and it says that they're discussing retail with companies that aren't already in the memphis area, but are in Atlanta?

anyone else thinking maybe crate & barrel? ikea? (although they'd need a HUGE space for an ikea).
Posted: Jan 17, 2008 5:47 pm

Anybody know whats going on at Sears crosstown?

They're putting up a big fence around the whole property. Are they doing some renovations or just trying to keep the vandals out? Or both?
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 6:37 am

Andy Kates bought the Sears building. It's gonna be shops and apartments.
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 8:19 pm | Edited by: littlemisshotdogbreath

It's gonna be shops and apartments.

I hope it also has hourly rates on some hotel rooms.
Maybe the "shops" will be Head Shops, an adult book store, a strip club,a liquor store, and a music venue/full bar!
I'd never have to leave.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®