Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / piano teachers?
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 7:09 pm

I want to take piano lessons. Can anyone recommend a teacher? I don't really want to go the UofM student/teacher route b/c although it's probably cheaper, I want to find someone that I could take lessons from for a long time. Students graduate. What I'm looking for is to learn to read music and play classical, the whole nine yards.
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 8:53 pm

Try contacting Amro Music.
Posted: Oct 25, 2007 11:57 pm

Yeah, that's what I'll probably end up doing. The little old lady piano teacher of my dreams more than likely works at Amro.
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 3:33 am

I have always wanted to learn piano too. Classical. If you get the low-down, post the details, will ya?
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 3:35 am

"The trick is, I only have to stay one lesson ahead of you."
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 4:23 am

I took piano lessons for 5 years. I really wish I hadn't been "too cool" to stop.
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 7:12 am

I sincerely hope that you people have a LOT of patience. Piano lessons have been known to drive some people insane.
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 2:19 pm

Shit, after Katrina, when we were looking for a place to live, we tried to rent from this old lady who lives on the street one north of Otherlands' street who taught piano out of her house. I could buzz by her house on the way home and get the address but you would have to go to her house and knock on the door yourself.
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 3:00 pm

SAMBEAUX that would be great if you could get me that address. I'd go by there for sure. It's exactly what I'm looking for - someone in midtown who teaches out of their house.

We got this Baldwin spinnett from my stepmom b/c she and my dad moved to a smaller place. I had it tuned after the move and the piano tuner said it's from the 60's and that it was the choice of piano teachers b/c even though it's small, the bass strings are really thick, giving it a nice warm tone.

They say you should learn new things to keep your brain sharp - or at least do crossword puzzles. I suck at crossword puzzles.
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 9:10 pm

Adam Levin is great. He plays keys in the Venus Mission, and has a degree in Concert Performance/Classical Composition.

(901)-603-2098
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 9:19 pm

Thanks, Nigel!
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 10:12 pm

i took piano lessons a long time ago and it drove me crazy to play stupid little songs. i was already able to read music (from playing clarinet for a few years already) by the time i started taking lessons so it was pretty annoying doing scales. i just basically wanted to jump straight to learning how to play accompaniment. doesn't necessarily happen like that.
Posted: Oct 27, 2007 12:11 am

Piano lessons have been known to drive some people insane.
So that's what happened...
Posted: Oct 27, 2007 4:33 am

2070 Harbert
Nice 50s or 60s ish black lady.
Posted: Oct 27, 2007 4:00 pm

Thanks man.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®