Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Restaurant Question
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 4:32 am

OK, now I am for real...Ryan and I are in active planning (Memphis/Gonzaga game tix purchasing/airplane tix and rental car next) for our visit Jan 23-28. I'd like to have a birthday dinner on Friday the 25th somewhere Downtown or Midtown; Mom is coming down (so it can't be "weird" food) and I want to have anyone who knows me, who'd like to come, eat a nice meal and socialize meet up as well.

Last time I asked, many mentioned Tsunami, but I have an urge to try a new place. How is Circa? Encore? Any others that might be comfortable (i.e. not full of total jackasses) on a Friday evening? I guess I could always do it on the 24th to avoid that aspect of things.

So, basically, any input on the above restaurants or any others in Downtown/Midtown that a Mom with very typical food tastes as well as friends who are more adventurous could enjoy themselves for a couple of hours?
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 4:44 am

is sushi weird?
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 5:40 am

Bhan Thai? Pearls? Bari? Cafe61?
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 7:09 am

encore has 10$ burgers with fancy cheese on them and palm frittes in a star wars chic-style ambience. jose is phoning it in at this point. circa is in a mall but the cheese sampler appetizer is a whole meal & some of the tastiest I have ever had. If you like wine, circa is probably the place to go. If you book now, I'm sure either would take your reservations. Both are busy on friday nights from 7:00-9:00, but in january all memphis restaurants are hurting.

p.s. your mom would love either of them.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:04 pm

big foot lodge is memphis best downtown "foodie" hot spot... Pearls oyster house is the talk of the town, but somtimes they don't have oysters....the red lobster, voted best seafood in memphis, makes a mean shrimp scampi....fuck it just go to the flying fish shack... you'll love it, everything is fried.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:25 pm

Spindini
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:54 pm

Sushi is totally "weird".

Maybe we should just have it at Paynes before dark and go to a bar afterwards. Fuck it is right. I'm turning 4-0.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 4:23 pm

Spindini blows.

Have you ever been to McEwen's? They're very good at Mom-impressing.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 4:27 pm

Spindini

Worst name for anything, ever.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 4:32 pm

haven't eaten there yet, but lolo's is supposed to be alright
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 4:33 pm

yeah McEwens's and next-door Lolo's Table are safe bets.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 4:36 pm

spindini is pretty awesome if you're into watching middle-aged attorneys flirt with Paris/ britney-esque skeezers.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 4:39 pm

Have you ever been to McEwen's? They're very good at Mom-impressing.

I would second this recommendation.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 5:21 pm

Pearls oyster house is the talk of the town

I couldn't begin to tell you why. I ate there and it was awful.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 6:05 pm

McEwens.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 6:27 pm

Lolo's Table is great.

McEwen's is pretty good as well.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 7:50 pm

Pearls oyster house is the talk of the town

I couldn't begin to tell you why. I ate there and it was awful.

I second that...EVERYTHING is fried ...and all done with little finesse...i'm suprised my beer wasn't fried.
will NOT do that again.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 8:37 pm | Edited by: saispas

spindini is pretty awesome if you're into watching middle-aged attorneys flirt with Paris/ britney-esque skeezers

Spindini (ick) sounds exactly like the place Ryan works, but add blue hairs (before 7 PM) and fat families. And huge groups of every kind of upper middle class female having big baby or wedding showers.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 8:40 pm

In this order:
Encore (Gretchen the bartender for the win)
McEwen's
Lolo's Table

I told you about Spindini in the previous post. ick is right
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 9:18 pm

Yuck...Bigfoot Lodge sucks. Nothing special about that place except a large wooden statue of the creature himself out front. You can reserve the Cave(see pic http://www.mcewensonmonroe.com/ ) for special occasions, which is basically a wine cellar but pretty cool really. I have had some great meals there for sure.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 9:26 pm

yvonne & our girl emily built that Bigfoot statue- it's molded/carved foam, i think. pretty cool.

haven't had to eat there yet.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 9:56 pm

oh, yeah, mcewen's is the best meal downtown for sure. I just thought you wanted reviews of the foodie joints you listed...i guess technically encore is in a mall too, but you don't notice it like circa. I do like the bar at encore as well, but food is better at mcewen's.
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 10:09 pm

yvonne & our girl emily built that Bigfoot statue

and if I'm not mistaken Jerryd was the ass-model for the sasquatch

confirm/ deny?
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 10:10 pm

or was that Taylor?
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 4:03 am | Edited by: Miss Faye

I was about to mention the jerryd ass modeling for the Sasquatch. It is indeed true.
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 6:01 am

yer "shitting" me!
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 1:39 pm

Nope. They wanted the Sasquatch to have a round booty.

Oh, and I also recommend McEwen's.
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 2:48 pm

McEwens over Lolo's any day of the week. Lolo's is terrible and overpriced and you're liable to get canned vegetables with your meal.
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 10:33 pm

Has anyone tried the Daily Grill at the new Westin? The bar is quite nice there, too ...
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 10:35 pm

OK, McEwens it is!

I will tell The Husband (I hate saying it like that, but yet I always do) to arrange if people who would like to attend, please email me. Others who aren't into it can always hang with us pre and post Tigers/Gonzaga game somewhere.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®