Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Did anyone see the Jim Dickinson letter in last week's Flyer?
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 1:33 pm

Sorry if this was already posted...but it is pure JD.

Yeah, that's just what we need: "a multi-Grammy-winning producer coming to town to build a studio."

Tell that to multi-Grammy-winning producer Norbert Putnam of the sadly flawed and failed Cadre studio.

Does the name Chips Moman mean anything? The Moman-return scenario was tragic for everybody concerned and all but ended the career of the most successful producer in the history of Memphis music.

House of Blues studios A, B, and C stand empty. The Three Alarm and 315 Beale studios are gone. Easley Recording is in ashes. Posey Hedges shut his studio down.

Other Memphis studios teeter on the brink of extinction: Knox Phillips will keep Phillips Recording open until it falls over in a heap. Willie Mitchell is going nowhere, thank God. Stax is a museum and a label destined to fail, owned by out-of-towners. John Fry at Ardent has enough money to burn a wet mule. Ward Archer is in the process of renovating the old Sounds Unreel studio into what will be the most modern, world-class studio in a 200-mile radius. God only knows why.

As anyone with any knowledge of the music business knows, studios are going toes up all over the country.

The new ideas touted by the new music "leaders" are just as unrealistic, though not as self-serving, as former commission head Rey Fleming's.

I've seen them come and go the saviors of Memphis music. And we the musicians will be here when the latest bunch is gone. We will have to live with the fallout and clean up the mess.

Memphis' musical strength is not in studios or venues or festivals. Our strength is our musicians. In the years since the self-destruction of Stax, many a deserving artist has slipped through the cracks: Kevin Paige, Wendy Moten, and Eric Gales, to name three. The great O'Landa Draper was on his way to true superstardom when he suddenly died, far too young.

Music is a business where how good you are doesn't necessarily matter, and sometimes even genius is not enough.

Phineas Newborn Jr. and Shawn Lane both died in relative obscurity and financial distress. How many others have there been? They give up or move away or struggle along against impossible odds.

Witness the success of Cat Power a mediocre talent who came to town, recorded a successful record with great Memphis musicians, and toured with the recording band. So much of it is dumb luck. Getting a job at Tater Red's on Beale Street will do more good for musicians than a tax break for rich folks with investment capital.

Don't take it personally, Memphis. It's not happening just to us. It's just happening. Studios on Music Row in Nashville are standing empty. The best studio in the state recently went out of business. Artists make recordings at home. Mick Jagger records on a laptop.

I have a near-religious faith in Memphis music. Our music endures. Pop culture is disposable, designed to become obsolete and create a demand for more and more. Art is for the ages.

On a recent trip to New York to play Carnegie Hall with my sons, we had a meeting in the Sony Tower. After the meeting, we rode the high-security elevator down past six empty floors that used to be the once-mighty R.C.A.

Things are tough all over. Hang on, Memphis. Suck it up and tough it out. As the late, great Charlie Freeman once said, "They don't call it the Bluff City for nothing."

I applaud Three 6 Mafia. I applaud Saliva. Getting out of town is no easy task, but it is necessary. Our music has power worldwide. Once upon a time there was this teen-age truck driver from Tupelo ...

Jim Dickinson has been playing, recording, and producing music in Memphis since the late 1960s.

Subtle as a flying mallett
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 2:44 pm

Oh, JD! Pretty much on the money, as per...
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 4:08 pm

I agree completely. Studios in NYC are mostly pro tools and charge an arm and a leg except for the place I record and produce at. It's 1 inch anolog and then we put it in the computer. It's fantastic and cheap. Good songs carry way more than any advertisement you put in any magazine.

Where's the new Easley studios anyway?
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 4:31 pm

Where's the new Easley studios anyway?

Haven't heard...but I'm tellin' ya...Rocket Science Audio is fantastic!
Totally enjoyed tracking there and the sounds are amazing...Luke Warm is THE MAN!
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 4:38 pm

And Kyle and Robin are mighty handsome too! One of these days I wanna come make a wreck chord there!
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 4:58 pm

Hey, Golightly, how's that AC15 working out for ya? You sell the other amp yet?
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 5:35 pm

AC15 is gonna get a workout at the BUCC next Wednesday...other amp will probably go to Taylors on consignment.
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 5:42 pm

Hey JG, I should be able to do that Bucc thing. . .
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 5:55 pm

Hey JG, I should be able to do that Bucc thing. . .

With love...from Memphis to Liverpool.
Thanks Jeremy...it should be big fun
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 8:38 pm

AC15 is gonna get a workout at the BUCC next Wednesday
JG, who all is gonna be involved in this besides you? I may have to scrape the barnacles and cobwebs off my ass and come down for this.
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 8:49 pm

JG, who all is gonna be involved in this besides you? I may have to scrape the barnacles and cobwebs off my ass and come down for this.

{'scuse me whilst I get up offa the floor....}

The cat is out of the bag...the good Baron asked me to do the normal Jeff and Ross gig whilst Mr. Evans takes care of family business up north. The shoes are large to fill and I won't even try...bet hey...they don't even have to change the bill...it's The Other Jeff and Ross show...kinda like pork...the other white meat.
So...we are taking a trip to the British Isles and doing as many 60's British Invasion tunes as we can think of...Jeremy Scott has agreed to play bass that night.
It's early by Bucc standards...9-12.
I've wanted to play music with Ross forever.
So I'm gonna have fun regardless.

You would honor me sir to have a chance to make up for misdeeds in that other band.
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 9:46 pm

So...we are taking a trip to the British Isles and doing as many 60's British Invasion tunes as we can think of...
I wanna hear "No Milk Today"!
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 11:29 pm

Golightly, that sounds awesome! Here's some cover suggestions perfect for ya, esp as they're mostly Brit beat arrangements of standids:

Dave Berry My Baby Left Me
Tony Jackson Fortune Teller
Billy Fury Nothin' Shakin'
Nix Nomads You're No-One Til' Somebody Loves You (perfect for RJ!)
Johnny Kidd Shot Of Rhythm & Blues
Kinks Milk Cow Blues

To cement the transatlantic theme of me 'umble (and easy to work-up) suggestions, howsabout you copping Little Jimmy (Page) on Brenda Lee's awesome Is It True? G'wan, ya know the AC15 needs it!

Sorry, came over all beat crazy, like a Pretty Things fan from Den Haag!
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:10 pm

BKS...it'll be more of the stuff that was AM radio hits over here...plenty of Beatles (I know most everything through Revolver), Gerry and the Pacemakers, Manfred Mann, Herman's Hermits, Dave Clark 5, Donovan, Kinks, Peter and Gordon, The Who, The Rolling Stones....stuff like that. I'm sure we'll do some Byrds and Creedance too.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:05 pm

Ah, sorry Golightly, I gots a bit carried away, innit?

I'm sure it'll be great!!!!
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:05 pm

Golightly, do you know that awesome Peter and Gordon b-side, Morning's Calling? Kinda like the Beau Brummels or summat, it's the flip of Lady Godiva...
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:14 pm

BKS, is that ex-Searchers Tony Jackson?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:25 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

Re: JD's comments, it's true that the age of the studio is over, point well taken; musicians are where the focus belongs (although I think it's adivsable to not record oneself if a musician can afford someone else to assist).

Did JD truly learn something from his pronouncements on the music talent being the strength though? Or does he still fall back into the old ways of thinking where the studio engineers who get all the record budget are the real "talents" involved?

>>>Witness the success of Cat Power a mediocre talent who came to town, recorded a successful record with great Memphis musicians, and toured with the recording band. So much of it is dumb luck. <<<

Her success has nothing at all to do with either Memphis or luck, Jimbo.

She came into the studio with years of experience behind her writing songs she recorded on labels like Matador, touring, and building a large fanbase. She didn't really need a man to help her achieve this, which is probably a little threatening to some male egos, so Mr. Good Ole Boy has to explain her success as caused by the men around her. Ain't so, Jimbo.

Cat Power had already been on Sat. Night Live and all the late night shows in previous years before she ever did the album at Ardent, and her least memorable album was one she recorded previously in Memphis in the 1990s when she also was trying to give Memphis a chance as a recording place and buying into the phony hype Bluff City has tried to generate about itself.

She had gained a rabid following from her hard work over a period of at least a decade even despite her own past drunken self-sabotaging at concerts. She could have easily recorded that album in L.A. or Boston and it would have sounded just fine, but she did it in Memphis because of her personal production taste and artistic sensibilities and she should be applauded for that, not casually insulted by a representative of Memphis' music scene.

Memphis is the most patriachal place in the world, which is why you got what you deserved in the re-election of the 25-term power-hungry narcissist yesterday because you couldn't accept the idea of a woman with an independent streak and a solid past office-holding background as a candidate deserving of respect. Memphis' boys' club is so moronic, the city deserves what it gets, both in its faded music scene focused on the past and its pathetic and incompetent city leadership.

I wish Chan had not wasted a minute of her time here. Her album sold well because of her avid fanbase. We hear her often on tv ads, not because of "Memphis" but because of her own connections in the national scene who seek her talent, not Memphis's.

Cat Power recorded in Memphis as a nod to a city she briefly lived in as a child and in misguided tribute to its heritage since she owed the city nothing. Yet even though she lived part of her early life in Bartlett, she's treated as an outsider.

She didn't need to come here to do a darn thing nor did she need to go on that soul excursion tangent last year except she's such a massive talent that she can write fluently in any style and sell a bunch of records, something one cannot say for Jimbob Dickinson. (A lot more people have heard of her than can tell you who Jimbob is, by the way.)

Some of her longtime fans even criticized her on message boards for doing what they viewed as a mainstream album employing what they viewed as bland session musicians, and they'll be a lot happier now that she's moved on past the Memphis sound she used on that album although I would certainly disagree with those fans who said that and I loved the sound that crew made together. But among her fans, I think I'm in the minority on that score.

When you hear that woman's voice on an tv advertisement you know it's Chan Marshall right away - she is a stylist on a par with all the greats I've ever heard on the radio, plus extremely creative in her writing. There are even other vocalists out trying to sound like her now because her voice has such an identifiable sound.

It is sickening to see one of our own braying about how "mediocre" Cat Power is when in fact none of the players in her band could have drawn a fly to a concert on their own and all were lucky to be asked to play with her. She would have drawn the same at her concerts had she appeared alone with her piano.

The only thing I see drags down her reputation is her past history of self-indulgently getting up drunk and making a jerk out of herself live in years gone by (which could always happen again) but she didn't do that touring with the Memphis crew, and when on her game, she is a world class talent.

It's not that I don't think Memphis has some good players or that Cat Power's album's players weren't good, but when I see people from here offhandedly diss her despite her efforts to appreciate and include Memphians in her work, then I lose respect for everything connected to the city and that is why I am dissing us in this message -- to bring us back down to earth.

When Memphis musicians make patonrizing comments disparaging a successful woman and simultaneously trying to give Memphis credit for her work, they make me embarrassed for my stupid, sexist hometown. You ought to be backing her and encouraging her success, not shooting darts at her jealously from behind.

All Memphis understands is your old boys power system and your own destructive negativity, and that is what you will always have, all you will ever have left if you are not careful, and it's taking you down.

Rise above it, you might make some progress. Respect independent women, such as those whose successes you can't really point to as something deriving from yourselves. Stop being afraid of or jealous of them.

When you build people up instead of tear them down, you help yourselves a lot more too. I am sure negativity issues are traits common everywhere though, not just in Memphis. But self-centeredness, fear, jealousy and negativity are some of the main obstacles to future success in Memphis. I hope the honchos in the music scene and the city government strive for better in Memphis' future, empowering everyone they can, not just the "same old same old".

Other than JD's comment about Cat Power that prompted this inane outburst, I don't really have a problem with the rest of his remarks. But I'm tired of seeing people constantly overlook their own creeping sexism, their unconscious disrespect of women. We're so attuned to watching out for racism that we never notice our own sexism, and it's regarded as uncool to care about equality.

Today you're a "feminazi" or "too politically correct" if you care about respect for women. We've institutionalized a dehumanized, paternalistic view of women in this city and this nation, and we've devalued the work of 1/2 our citizens in doing so. We want our women up wearing bikinis in M-tv videos (much as in years gone by Jimbob had them dancing nude onstage as a prop at a Mudboy and the Neutrons show), not challenging men in the studio.

There is no one in Memphis who is writing songs on a creative par with Cat Power, and she deserves better from Jimbob Dickinson.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:38 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

I misspelled "patronizing" by the way. Sorry for the rant. Bye.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:38 pm

There is no one in Memphis who is writing songs on a creative par with Cat Power,

You have obviously never seen TSOT.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:42 pm

I stand corrected then. Since I haven't.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:42 pm

:-)
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:44 pm

Uh...EXCUSE ME?!!!

Hello?

Those of us who really live in civilization actually KNOW how miss cat power actually got her record deal, and it wasn't talent sweety.

Trust me!

Buy my perfume!
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:49 pm | Edited by: Golightly

There is no one in Memphis who is writing songs on a creative par with Cat Power,

That's just as broad (no pun intended...well maybe a little..) a statement as I've ever heard around here.

I can guarantee there are people recording four tracks in their house in Memphis that are writing songs as good or better than most of the crap on the radio today....or what you hear in commercials or the movies.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:54 pm

Harlan is better I think.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:56 pm

Or even Jack. Yes, Jack Oblivian is better than Chan Marshal! Now, if we could only find someone at Matador for him to sleep with, we'd all be in fat city!

HAWW!
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 6:07 pm

That rant was totally out of hand and depressing. Wow. I don't wanna be snarky, nor is there a real need to, but it was rather frightening and an over the top emotional defense of someone who shouldn't require so many defenders.

But hey that is my opine--buy MY perfume!
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 7:28 pm | Edited by: Will

there is no one in Memphis who is writing songs on a creative par with Cat Power

Stop it.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 7:36 pm

and seriously, I don't see in Dickinson's rant where he dismisses Chan Marshall because she's female. He made a quality judgment based on his personal assessment of her "talent." Last time I checked, that was fair game.

you wouldn't want anyone calling you a nazi, would you?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 7:43 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

I don't think there are many people defending her, saispan, just noticed myself in here doing that. Sorry I frightened you.

I came back just now intending just to say that if I had written it over, I'd have not been so harsh on Jim D. It was too easy a target to use the "good ole boy" phrase, and I should have toned that down. I like his work fine and I should not have used that phrase about him. Sorry, J.D.

As far as Chan Marshall goes, I really do like her writing better than the music of those you mentioned after my post. And of course I find the "who she slept with to get a record deal" comments unfair and malicious though I know nothing about her past.

For instance, any woman who dates someone at the same time as she plays in a band could be targeted for that sort of "you slept with so and so" accusation later and the only way to avoid it is to not date. If you don't date, you don't have as many experiences to write about. If you're a female musician, you are going to have a lot in common with another musician as far as someone to date because those are often who your friends are.

So judging from this thread, the best thing to do is never date another musician to make sure you avoid that sort of trashy accusation from someone jealous later if a record label hears your music through friends of yours, likes what they hear, and signs you. Best to shun dating anyone musical at least or people will trash you behind your back.

As far as Chan Marshall, I only know what I hear on her records and it's good work. Sorry if I hit a nerve when I said her work is better than anything else currently coming out of Memphis in response to JD's "mediocre talent" remark. I do stand by it though even though everyone here has stated they disagree.

But I do feel sorry I said "good ole boy" about Jim D and I regret that part of the post even though I was mainly intending sarcasm about his "mediocre talent" comment and wasn't being literal.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 7:51 pm

I don't think there are many people defending her, saispan, just noticed myself in here doing that. Sorry I frightened you.

I just meant in general, not on this board. I am not over here quaking in my boots or anything, but all that "Memphis deserves a shit mayor because it is total shit" (paraphrasing) talk in relation to one word Jim Dickinson said describing Cat Power just seemed way vitriolic and off the mark.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 7:52 pm

So judging from this thread, the best thing to do is never date another musician

Great idea!
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 7:54 pm

Yes, Will, I believe the statement was dismissive of her talent because she's is a woman. He seemed to not realize she already had a career before she came to Memphis and was smugly attributing the "success" of the album to Memphis' musicians and not to her talent and hard work. And his past work with women includes having strippers on stage as props, so I just don't think of him as that enlightened with regard to female musicians. My personal opinion, so you can go and shoot me down with about 15 people repeating the same mantra of "oh stop" if you like, sorry if I upset so many people it requires so many defenders of JD.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 7:59 pm

Oh and I don't like Jim Dickinson in the least, not my cup of tea at all. And I own a couple of Cat Power records. Still, she is an incredibly annoying woman with more annoying fans. She is akin to the high school bitch who starts a bunch of drama and then steps back and lets her boyfriend and the guy that has a crush on her fight it out.

And that Feist song that sounds just like her for the iPod commercial is better than Cat Power's DeBeers ad song, though both grate after repeated listens.

Carry on.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:00 pm

what a load of crap! Cat Power's wild success with her last record had everything to do with her (Memphis) band! They made her previous records pale in comparison in both sound and sales. Please don't confuse your love for Carol Chumney with the great sounds of Rick Steff, Teenie Hodges, Roy Brewer, Jim Spake, Doug Easley et al.

She'll be lucky if she ever replicates the sound & sales without this great band backing her. & p.s. chumney was not much of a candidate for mayor--a female dick hackett with no real vision for the city other than a "I'm better than Herenton" campaign--which isn't saying much at all.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:07 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

Sorry, Sherman, but most of her fans prefer her previous albums to the recent one. And she went and got another band. And I repeat again her success on that album did not have everything to do with her band and she could have appeared in concert without them and drawn the same number of people. Some of her fans complained about that band in fact.

As for Chumney, I'm glad you're secure with keeping the status quo.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:10 pm

As for Chumney, I'm glad you're secure with keeping the status quo.

It's a real black-and-white world for you, isn't it?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:12 pm

You're a moron! "most of her fans prefer her previous albums"??? Did you ask them all? HEE-HAW! She sold more of the last record; therefore it was her most successful. Go cry a Chumney river. I never said I'm secure with the status quo; I said your girlfriend was a mediocre candidate who ran a poor campaign and was not much of a better choice than the status quo. Had she been an ok candidate with a decent campaign, she might have won. However, she can hold up a nice big mirror she can look in if she wants to know why she lost.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:19 pm | Edited by: saispas

Memphis helped this girl out before. Hugely.

What Would The Community Think CD
Cat Power

Street Date Sep 10, 1996
Studio/Live Studio
Mono/Stereo Stereo
Personnel
Davis - Moog
Doug Easley - pedal steel
Chan "Cat Power" Marshall - guitar, piano
Tim Foljahn - guitar

Also: Steve Shelley
Recorded: Easley Studios, Memphis, TN
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:22 pm

whistlindixie....did you call in to the morning talk show on WREC AM600 yesterday?
The tone of your post and the the tone of the lady that called in a very similar...just asking...no harm no foul
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:31 pm

i now know more about cat power then i ever wanted to
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:32 pm

Yeah, I think I need to take a bath.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:47 pm

Yeah, I think I need to take a bath.

A cat bath?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:55 pm

So, just to review:

If you don't like Herenton, you're a racist.
If you don't like Cat Power, you're a sexist.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 9:04 pm

and most of her fans prefer her previous albums to the recent one
...this person speaks for all Cat Power fans.

Nothing to see her folks...move on.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 9:13 pm

sorry, coming in kinda late on this, but these quotes bugged me:

When Memphis musicians make patonrizing comments disparaging a successful woman and simultaneously trying to give Memphis credit for her work, they make me embarrassed for my stupid, sexist hometown. You ought to be backing her and encouraging her success, not shooting darts at her jealously from behind.

All Memphis understands is your old boys power system and your own destructive negativity, and that is what you will always have, all you will ever have left if you are not careful, and it's taking you down.

Rise above it, you might make some progress. Respect independent women, such as those whose successes you can't really point to as something deriving from yourselves. Stop being afraid of or jealous of them.

JD is one musician. its almost offensive when one person claims an entire community is biased in a certain way becuse of something someone says.
while at gonerfest i can't remember how many bands i saw females taking strong roles in. not to mention powerhouse songwriters like alicja trout and probably others i can't place.
one of my favorite things about current memphis music (in the goner sense at least) is the strong female involvement.
if you want to talk about patriarchy come to where i am in utah. women in music have little to no respect here. i hate it. i decided to have at least one woman in every band i start if possible. i feel its the most important thing i've done with myself. and i do it because of the example set by my experiences with memphis music. my best friend and most consistent songwriting partner is a woman. i can't write without her. and she always gets credit.
i could care less about cat power, but i do care about ignorant comments about patriarchy, especially in more progressive scenes like the goner one, which JD has had more than a little influence on.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 9:41 pm

Jeez...Next they'll be wanting to vote an shit!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 9:45 pm

that sort of "you slept with so and so" accusation later and the only way to avoid it is to not date.

Uh EXCUSE ME???!!!!

Honey, I KNOW it was no date. I even know the executive whom had the pleasure of "closing the deal".

And I'm a very powerfull woman in the buisness you know. I alone had 36 guatamalin children sold to my perfume plant just to sweep the parking lot. You should have seen who they had to sleep with to get those jobs sweety pie!

My perfume, BUY IT!
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 1:22 am | Edited by: Luke Warm

Yes, Will, I believe the statement was dismissive of her talent because she's is a woman.

Why?
Let's review...

Witness the success of Cat Power a mediocre talent who came to town, recorded a successful record with great Memphis musicians, and toured with the recording band.

That's it. That's all he says in relation to her. Nothing about gender at all.
So, again...why do you automatically jump to "Jim Dickinson is a horrible sexist"?

I believe the point he was making was that attracting big names (artists, labels, studios, MTV, etc etc) to come to Memphis is all well and good but it's not what Memphis needs. Yet the commission and foundation seem to want to throw money at out-of-town pipedreams rather than using those funds to support everything that's already here...and struggling. Jim's entire letter was a direct response to Deyo's dipshit plan to financially lure some "hot" producer to build a big fancy new studio in town despite the facts (A) that the days of the big fancy studio are over, and (B) we've already got about a thousand studios who would be happy to receive some financial help yet do not. But somehow you've translated it as "Cat Power sucks because she's just a dumb broad." His inclusion of her was simply an example of a "big name" coming to town with little, if any, long-term benefit for Memphis music as a whole. It was anything but a sexist stab.
I understand 100% where Jim's coming from and what he means...I can relate. Based on what you've said in your posts, you can't say the same.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 1:37 am

I'm ready to sleep with Matador.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 1:37 am

Ole, big boy...
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 1:43 am

I think she is still pissed Carol didn't get elected...can't say i blame her...cause if I did ...I'd be a racist using her logic.
I think she googled some info on Jim Dickinson and found out about the go go dancers...God forbid...so that makes him sexist.

Go pour a stiff one whistlindixie...and put on some Cat Powers if it makes you happy....it's not a bad showing for Carol...maybe next time...but do yourself a favor and go buy some stuff Alicja Trout is putting out...River City Tanlines, Mouserocket or any of the other 20 bands she's been affiliated with...if gender is so important to you.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 1:45 am

And this statement!
Are you out of your fucking mind?!!!!
Don't strain for an answer...I'll help...
YES! You are out of your fucking mind!
Until you understand the discussion, please go back to your world of accounting or cheese-carving or whatever you do to occupy your life.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 1:52 am

OK.

ANY label will do....really...I just took my pants off....

HAWW!
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 2:04 am

Goddamn it!

I mean, have you even listened to Harlan?!
In the hall of musical genius, that guy's gonna be right in there between Willie Nelson and Stevie Wonder!
Memphis has lost more talent due to it's own musical blinders than Cat Power could ever hope to cultivate.
Greg Cartwright! Holy shit, how did we let him leave town?!
And Ross Rice...that dude's shit's are hit songs!

But no no no!
"Dickinson is a sexist!
Memphis music is nothing but a boys club!
And we should all kiss the ass of mainstream mediocrity when it happens to grace our horrible little backwater with it's brilliance!"
Fuck you!
That's exactly the problem..."Ooo, ooo, ooo, maybe we can bask in someone else's glory! Wouldn't that be great!"
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 2:07 am

OK OK....

I'll even throw in a bottle of Sailer Jerry's...Jeez you guys run a hard bargain....
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 2:14 am

I mean, let's get real, in the scheme of things, Chan Marshall is Phoebe Snow. Mediocre. Not gawdawful, just mediocre. Let her prove me wrong.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 2:51 am

Memphis helped this girl out before. Hugely.

What Would The Community Think CD
Cat Power

Street Date Sep 10, 1996
Studio/Live Studio
Mono/Stereo Stereo
Personnel
Davis - Moog
Doug Easley - pedal steel
Chan "Cat Power" Marshall - guitar, piano
Tim Foljahn - guitar

Also: Steve Shelley
Recorded: Easley Studios, Memphis, TN

I think this should set the record straight.

She was traumatized and could only have pulled the album AND tour off with what?... the Memphis musicians.

That is what Jim Dickinson is saying.

We have ALWAYS and ALWAYS WILL have some of the best fucking musicians in the UNIVERSE.

And sure as hell, they usually get under rated.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:15 am

You're a moron! "most of her fans prefer her previous albums"??? Did you ask them all? HEE-HAW! She sold more of the last record; therefore it was her most successful. Go cry a Chumney river. I never said I'm secure with the status quo; I said your girlfriend was a mediocre candidate who ran a poor campaign ....

Yes, hee haw, my comments about what I'd heard fans say about the album were comments I remember glancing at in fan message boards last year when album was just released and when I'd look at youtube live videos from the tour and read the comments. Though I wanted to see more posted about the musicians, the fans were mostly not interested in talking about them or would occasionally make a snide comment from time to time, but I didn't expect them to have the same listening priorities as me since I am a fan of the band. Maybe things got better in there too though.

Her fans buy all her albums, so purchasing does not equate with liking an album best nor does it indicate a backup band they're not familiar with is the reason for the purchase. Her ever-expanding fan base, the label's marketing push, and the promise of another Cat Power album to anxious fans are what led to her fans buy it, not a sudden desperation to hear the Memphis backup musicians. I personally wanted to hear them on it because I'm their fan and I loved the album, but I am not her normal fanbase.

My point was that the album didn't achieve whatever sales success it achieved just because of the band, despite JD's comment about her mediocrity that I was originally talking about that set off the firestorm in here although I later apologized for overdoing my comment about poor JD.

Some who bought the album liked it best, and some didn't like it as much as prior albums like You Are Free. Despite the occasional snide comments I saw from time to time on a stupid message board or video, I'm sure mostly people were fine with the band. I did just check the web and see a person or two mention liking the band, so that's great. The band got some publicity by the label trying to market what's different about the album's sound to the public in their press, but mentions of the band also help the band members more than it does Chan. It's not all about "dumb luck" of a mediocre talent but hard work building a fan base, bringing the material, and touring. Just my opinion.

As for calling her mediocre, fine, whatever, but I still think she can sell a lot of records writing in a variety of styles and the musician offering his "professional assessment" of her abilities in the original quotation cannot do the same himself, as I said.

These were her own fans that she's garnered from her years of touring buying the album, not the band's fans. They couldn't draw on their own like she does. Let's see them pull in as many people on a tour without Miss "Mediocrity" on their own. I never said it was a bad album; I said this "mediocre talent" didn't require Memphis to sell her records despite the attitude JD had in the quotation.

Though some critics included comments about the Memhis backup band gleaned from the label presskit, I also read things by fans that called the album the "apotheosis of safe indie rock" complaining on their own website:

<i>At this stage in her career (her seventh record; I was surprised, too) one could logically argue that Marshall could only take the Cat Power "thing" moody, depressive and somewhat atonal music, insular and breathy (though strangely sensual) and somewhat atonal singing so far, and what she needed was a clean break with some spot-on, legendary session musicianship. Fair enough, but having listened to the thing a good ten times now, I'm convinced the opposite is true. This is the Cat Power record that's been in the works for some time now: it's streamlined to the point of being thoroughly anodyne, shorn of many of the qualities that makes her so striking and compelling,...</i>.

About The Greatest, another fan wrote, "I hope she feels like she's stretched and had some breathing room, and perhaps her next album will find the voice that was so self-assured on You are Free (still her best album)." Another fan on Amazon wrote that what was "missing" from The Greatest are "those gripping moments found on You Are Free".

But of course we can find favorable and unfavorable things online about any album.

And I'm sure Marshall herself would have nothing but praises for the band since that was the reason she put them on her album and tour. I personally like the album a lot because I'm a fan of Memphis recordings but I'm not part of her fanclub and I was explaining that it wasn't fair to trash her as mediocre and build up the band as the reason for all her success.

Also, to saispan, I already pointed out in my original post that the previous album from the 1990s she did in Memphis does not contain her best known songs and wasn't as memorable to me and to patronizingly say "Memphis" helped her when she recorded the 1990s album is to reverse who helped who. She helped the studio put another name in its resume by recording there and did not have to come to Memphis to have a place to record that one either.

(To sarah jessica, I give up, I'll have to buy the perfume.)

The bottom line in Chumney's loss, regardless of my views of problems people have in respecting a woman candidate, is she obviously didn't get her message out to the voters who went for Herenton, which I forgot about when writing about sexism. So in that respect it's her campaign's fault. While she's no church-backed conservative Dick Hackett, you are right that neither she nor he years ago did what was needed to draw more Black voters. So my comments missed that point. I voted for Herenton over Hackett, for that matter because I don't want to see anyone in power long enough to potentially abuse their power or become too apathetic to be effective any more. A fifth term was ridiculous for any person.

But I'll grant you that she basically didn't do what had to be done to win and will assume it's not mainly about people being unwilling to take a female candidate seriously.

As to the Utah poster, I never said there weren't women in Memphis music. I just said the city sometimes has some problems in its respect for women and it has nothing to do with my views of "Goner" since that was mentioned as a red herring.

My posts just provoke anger, so there's no point in having said anything although I was only trying to state my own views. I was giving a reaction to part of an essay that was being quoted, and I'm sorry it is so upsetting for me to have this view. And I can expect more "you're a moron" etc. types of answers so it's not possible to talk here, and I've already said what I had to say anyway.

Since they're so irritating, you might as well delete my posts and move on to more productive discussions like you were having before I made my comments on the topic. Only the moderator has the ability to delete them, not me, unfortunately, or I would. I'm bored to tears repeating this stuff and I know you are too.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:18 am | Edited by: whistlindixie

Someone posted: I think this should set the record straight.

She was traumatized and could only have pulled the album AND tour off with what?... the Memphis musicians.

That is what Jim Dickinson is saying.

That is not in fact what he said and you're changing it to say what you wish he had said. Sure, I think she did a better job touring with those guys than with her drunken friends. And I am a huge fan of the people in the band personally.

But what Dickinson talked about was her mediocre talent and chalked up her album's success, in a discussion on the industry not her personal problems, to her band and dumb luck. That is what I was replying to, not your convenient rewrite.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:31 am | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

Dickinson has a lot of nerve calling someone else mediocre. He might have played on a couple of decent records but his own albums are so shitty. That old S.O.S. should shut up and play his fucking piano ( when his morbidly obese ass is not riding around in his motorized shopping cart blocking the aisles in Kroger).
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:33 am | Edited by: whistlindixie

saispas said, I mean, let's get real, in the scheme of things, Chan Marshall is Phoebe Snow. Mediocre. Not gawdawful, just mediocre. Let her prove me wrong.

More like a southern Rickie Lee Jones.

Seems like this topic really is something people really seem defensive over, so I'll just assume the picking over bits of the post and nervous heehawing will continue on for a few days.

Re: Lukewarm's comments, I already explained what I thought specifically in my post and why regarding Dickinson's comments and I also apologized for the "good ole boy" comment later in one of my first followups but what I said is not of interest here, just the urge to gang up and win some sort of contest - have at it.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:37 am

Rumpelforeskin wrote: Dickinson has a lot of nerve calling someone else mediocre. He might have played on a couple of decent records but his own albums are so shitty. That old S.O.S. should shut up and play his fucking piano ( when his morbidly obese ass is not riding around in his motorized shopping cart blocking the aisles in Kroger).

That kind of sums it up. Much better than my whiny post about sexism did.

I guess I'll grant you all that I did a poor job of posting and trying to bring too many topics together after looking at the better composed post I quote above. Good night. All of you had some good points, particularly Sherman's points about Chumney made me realize where she missed the boat.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:58 am

The sexism argument is just stupid. Chan Marshall ain't hittin' on nothin'. And her fans aren't anything you'd want to talk to after you fucked anyway. If "what's your favorite Cat Power album?" is your idea of foreplay then you deserve to sleep in the wet spot of your dorm room futon.

a tax break for rich folks with investment capital.

I think this is where the real argument should begin. Jim's right about the studio deal but he neglects to offer any bandaids. I could also point out what's wrong with the Memphis music scene, but don't have any ideas how to fix it -the economy. People like Jim, and most of the other white flighters I work with, etc. who gave up and moved out of town and took their taxes and their loud annoying voices with them. I think, if the economy were better, better day jobs for night rockers, those empty studios wouldn't be so empty. Musicians would be spending the cash they'd be making off of the bourgeois, out-on-the-town honkies with money to burn.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 5:02 am

OK! If I can get a record deal by tomorrow, I swear I will now include a REACH AROUND!

Jeez, I'm just trying to be as mediocre as she is!
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 7:59 am

JEEZ US FU K ING CHRIST ALREADY!!!
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 8:09 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

The Staags need a fucking publicist.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 9:28 am

Uh, EXCUSE ME?

Did somebody say publicist???

I would gladly have Pepe contact my publicist to have them contact you if I thought you could honestly afford them. Can you? If so, drop me a line mister Stands and I'll put in a good word. But you must understand that I come first and am in constant need of a publicist. Therefore your "band" must be a hobby or a weekend warrior type of thing cause I don't want to be put on the backburner for ANYONE. You understand right? Especially while I'm shooting the upcoming number 1 movie in America SEX AND THE CITY: THE MOVIE!

If you wanna be a winner, you gotta smell like a winner!
So buy my perfume !
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 12:44 pm

whistlindixie, the problem is that you wrote several long, rambling, run-on-sentence filled posts about something that was based solely on your offense at Dickinson's OPINION of Cat Power while completely missing the overall point of the piece. You Bill-O'Reillyed up a sexism charge and then let your fingers vomit out insults to the entire local music community.

trying to give Memphis a chance as a recording place and buying into the phony hype
none of the players in her band could have drawn a fly to a concert on their own and all were lucky to be asked to play with her
There is no one in Memphis who is writing songs on a creative par with Cat Power

You were upset that he picked on an artist you like and you went on a baseless tirade that was completely irrelevant to the issue at hand.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 2:49 pm | Edited by: saispas

I already pointed out in my original post that the previous album from the 1990s she did in Memphis does not contain her best known songs and wasn't as memorable to me and to patronizingly say "Memphis" helped her when she recorded the 1990s album is to reverse who helped who. She helped the studio put another name in its resume by recording there and did not have to come to Memphis to have a place to record that one either.

Dis-a-gree. Chan Marshall came HERE (uh, to Memphis) to record specifically with Easley due to the work he was getting much recognition for in the early 90's recording the Grifters, Guided By Voices and god knows what else. Cat Power came in to record that LP, released it and voila, she had some of that magic. Her first record was half ass and didn't sell a lick--trust me, I was a buyer for a record store at the time; no one cared about this woman.

She was barely known until the Easley recorded LP. To me, that is my favorite record of hers. I likely couldn't listen to her self-indulgent, egotistical ramblings on that or any other of her LPs today, but when I was particularly self-absorbed, it hit the spot, go figure.

Good call on the Southern Rickie Lee Jones, though.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 2:56 pm

People like Jim, and most of the other white flighters I work with, etc. who gave up and moved out of town and took their taxes and their loud annoying voices with them.

Preach it, you white devil engineer!!!!
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:02 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

Luke Warm, I didn't miss the point of his piece. I put it in context in the very first two sentences of my original discussion which you conveniently ignored in your angry critique so as to twist everything I said into something that suits you. That's like how several people rewrote Dickinson's statement to sound kinder and to martyr him.

You resorted to pulling individual sentences I said out of context to make to weaken them instead of simply replying and moving on. I did not write them in the order in which you display them, so of course you can try to use those sort of chop-up techniques magnifying one sentence here and there to win some contest in your mind.

And that is because some of you have a need to tar and feather anyone saying something less than praiseful about Memphis or your hero's pearls of wisdom.

Why it takes so many people to jump on and strangle one new person in here I have no idea. You could have moved on by now but evidently I struck a nerve and I apologized already for that. Ganging up like that and saying it's all worthless if you don't like what I say doesn't make me respect Dickinson's comment or change what I think about Memphis.

If it's so worthless, then one would think you would have something else to talk about by now. I hit a big nerve and already apologized for that and for the old boy phrase.

I have nothing but respect for the band on that record.

My point was that her talent is what brought her success, not Memphis, despite your attempts to reframe and trash what I said about your demigod's comment.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:06 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

She was barely known until the Easley recorded LP.

Recording at Easley did not make her famous and none of her fans outside Memphis could care less about that. Her biggest sellers were albums she recorded other places, particularly You Are Free. It's her songs that made her fans, not that one album, but of course Memphis is desperate to take credit for whatever successes she has.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:10 pm

Please listen. When that record came out, it made a big impact and made her as famous as she was gonna be for that time. It put her in a position where she could actually tour the entire country and earn money off her music; it did that well. The industry was entirely different over 10 years ago. Matador was basically a brand new label. From that crap "Myra Lee" to the Easely recorded LP, she most certainly did become slightly "famous" and yes, indeed her fans outside Memphis could care about it! Her FRIENDS outside of Memphis are the ones who got her down to Memphis to record there. Why are you so anti-Memphis? Sure, there is a lot of hype, but there is a lot of realness too. Hype exists everywhere.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:16 pm

Why it takes so many people to jump on and strangle one new person in here I have no idea.

I know it feels intense, but that initial rant of yours was so out of hand. Of course the words you were speaking were going to hit nerves on this message board! It was so full of vitriol and condescension. You came in 6 guns a blazing and when people defended their stance, you ran off. The old "dish it out, you gotta take it" thing applies. Believe me, I have been beaten to a pulp verbally on this board over the last 4 or so years. Brush your shoulders off.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:20 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

The reason the 1996 album sold better than the first two is it was her first album on a bigger label, Matador, and that would have happened whether she'd recorded it in Memphis, NY or L.A. It was not thanks to "Memphis" that she was signed to Matador. You're twisting the facts to suit yourselves and flatter Memphis more than we deserve.

She wasn't on a label pushing her recordings before, so it's the fact she was on the bigger label with that 1996 album that brought it more exposure and sales, plus her development as an artist, not because of where she recorded it. It's Steve Shelley of Sonic Youth who caused her to go to Easley, not because it required Easley or Memphis for the album to sound good.

The fact you guys are so desperate to give Memphis credit for someone's talent underscores what I said about a paternalistic attitude in Memphis. I'm done with this. It's just pathetic even reading all this worshipping of Memphis and studios as the cause of someone's success.

Next you'll be saying Sonic Youth became successful because of Memphis too. Ridiculous. They were helping out Easley by recording there.

There's nothing wrong with Memphis studios, but they are not the cause of people's success. And I'm tired of repeating this. Just keep on complaining about me, whatever.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:23 pm

They couldn't draw on their own like she does. Let's see them pull in as many people on a tour
This is making me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry... Seriously though, how totally unfair. You're comparing sets of musicians with separate fanbases, disparate capital, and different agendas for their careers. These Memphis guys (and gals) work their asses off and don't deserve to be insulted by you just so you can back up your sexism charge. Lame.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:30 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

They couldn't draw on their own like she does. Let's see them pull in as many people on a tour
This is making me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry... Seriously though, how totally unfair. You're comparing sets of musicians with separate fanbases, disparate capital, and different agendas for their careers. These Memphis guys (and gals) work their asses off and don't deserve to be insulted by you just so you can back up your sexism charge. Lame.

Oh cry me a river. I said specifically in a sentence you failed to quote in your quest to martyr the band that I have "nothing but respect for the band".

Before you pulled the sentence out of context, the point was that Memphis and the band are NOT THE REASON for her success despite what god Dickinson implied. It's not about insulting the band! I said the woman can draw with or without the band, not to insult the band but to answer the charges that the band and Memphis studios are the only reason for her successes.

I brought up the band to compliment them at times in the past other places where Cat Power fans were talking about everything but the band because I like the band! I've tried to give info about the band to her fans before in fact! My point here today was that it's false to think that her main audience cares about the band so much as you and I do. Memphians care about that but not her fan base.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:36 pm | Edited by: Miss Faye

Sorry. All the other quotes like There is no one in Memphis who is writing songs on a creative par with Cat Power were already taken. The "no one" part made me think you were referring to Memphis musicians as a whole.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:13 pm

Cat Power was responsible for 9/11.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:17 pm

And you people all hate fun and children.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:37 pm

OK OK! I swear I will bring out the assless black leather chaps for this one,with a bottle of Sailor Jerry AND a reach around!!!! Christ! I just wanna be as important as Chan Marshall! Is that too much too ask? I mean, I doubt she put THAT much effort into her "deal" that evening. Seriously....It's Columbus Day weekend people....WWCD?
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:41 pm

does jim dickinson smoke ???
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:50 pm

Cat Power fans: agitating public internet music forums since 1997 with their sycophancy.

me: lamely reading public internet music forums since 1997.

Dickinson has a lot of nerve calling someone else mediocre. He might have played on a couple of decent records but his own albums are so shitty. That old S.O.S. should shut up and play his fucking piano ( when his morbidly obese ass is not riding around in his motorized shopping cart blocking the aisles in Kroger).

:o snap!
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 4:52 pm

Sailor Jerry'D' AND a reach around

fixed.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 5:31 pm

It's 83 degrees outside on a saturday. You people need to leave the house and go do something productive. Jesus.

Miss faye- go to Yoga
Robin- come help me save my back yard
Saispas- hit the beach or disneyworld
Will- go see the liberty bell
Whistlindixie- go to lesbo bar with some of your dikey friends, listen to some catpower and relax.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 5:36 pm

I'm gonna ride the subway! whoo-hoo!
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 5:38 pm

Jerryd--we just went to the bay and the Saturday Market. Come back to this and just laughed. This crazy woman doesn't know and refuses to learn her history. She can't stop gazing in the borderline personality visage of Chan Marshall long enough to weigh some other arguments on the topic in what is left of her mind. Hey, I know the truth. And Will, I hear you re; lamely reading message boards. Guilty as charged.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 5:40 pm

But I'm tired of seeing people constantly overlook their own creeping sexism

Whats wrong with being sexy?
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 5:45 pm

haha already back, holmes. I've got a hangover to nurse. Plus, I'm going to Overton Park for some co-ed tag football at 3pm.

is it "pay what you can" day at yoga, Miss Faye?
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 5:48 pm

whistlindixie ...not that's it's the most important question asked in this thread but did you or did you not call in to the morning talk show on AM600 and get into a verbal spar with the host about Carol Chumney?
Were you affiliated with her campaign in a higher up position?

Come out to the Bucc Wednesday night and let us buy you a beer.
It's "the other Jeff and Ross show"...(sorry gang...had to plug it)
Shameless...
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 5:57 pm

As for calling her mediocre, fine, whatever, but I still think she can sell a lot of records writing in a variety of styles and the musician offering his "professional assessment" of her abilities in the original quotation cannot do the same himself, as I said.
Britany Spears can sell a LOT more records than either dry drunk Chan or washed-up Dickinson. Does that mean her "professional assessment" means something?

You Are Free is unlistenable. The string chirp in the title track drives me up the fucking wall.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 6:03 pm

s it "pay what you can" day at yoga, Miss Faye?

She said theres a pay what you can tonight at 5 p.m., but she does the pay what you can sunday morning at 9
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 6:07 pm

or as I like to call it: three-dollar yoga.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 6:32 pm

OR...maybe Whistlendixie IS Chan Marshall!!??? Didja ever think of that?
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 7:06 pm

They were helping out Easley by recording there.

i would think that anyone who records anywhere - memphis, ny, muscle shoals, paris, london - records there because they liked the records made there, like the city/vibe, etc

i seriously DOUBT sonic youth were HELPING doug easley. i'm sure they wanted to soak up what easley, memphis and the mississippi river have to offer

how many musicians made the schlep to muscle shoals for that magic sound?
what about electric lady?
abbey road?

were they HELPING out those studios? doubtful

i know musicians who travel the world in search of neve boards, rooms made of a certain kind of wood, proximity to personal totems...

but to HELP a studio? never
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 7:10 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

True, Golightly, I ran the campaign single-handedly and am responsible for the defeat from my miserable planning strategy that failed to properly reach out to more of the community. This is why I was caught off guard by the attacks in this thread on my campaigning skills. Dtrain, go sleep with Matador.

I love the Jeff and Ross show, Golightly. Teresa, I didn't say they didn't like recording there. And taking the one sentence out of context slants the point I made which was that the studio is not responsible for her talent, which was the aspect of this that started my comments
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 7:34 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

A lot of people are going to start making the "trek" to their home computers next time they want to record an album to get that "magic sound" out of it because ultimately success is down to the artist, not the studio.

And that's what Dickinson originally was talking about to begin with aside from his one sentence I objected to. As I said in the original post, I generally did agree with his overall point that people need to realize that the world has changed as far as studios and big labels being the focus. That's why he said that bringing a famous name to town to restart things with the industry here might not do any good.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 7:35 pm

do not quote whistlindixie cause your just taking it out of context, everything she says is right when kept in context and your just wrong ol boy
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 7:37 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

Bruce, I was saying a person can reply to the point of a long post without pulling out one sentence here and there to change the main point to suit themselves. But I would have thought there were other things to talk about besides one person's post by now.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 7:50 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

Well, regarding my previous comment, I do think there's a place for studios even today despite home computers, and it's possible an innovative leader might be able to jumpstart things so it's hard to say. I do understand why Dickinson doubts it though. To me, it's more ideal for an artist to focus on playing and let a studio do the recording when possible.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 7:57 pm

I am starting to be a big believer in the old "If you hate living here so much, leave" philosophy propagated by old rednecks circa 1971. Hey, that is what I did (a few times) and I am about to come back again... Memphis looks reallllllllllly good in many ways when you are living somewhere else. It truly does.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 8:02 pm | Edited by: Golightly

I ran the campaign single-handedly

With all due respect, if that was you on the radio, you did more harm to Carol than good. Even though I cannot stand the politics of that little Limbaugh wanna-be on AM600 in the morning (since we lost Air America I'm back to that crap in my car only...I still stream Air America at my office)...you came across on the radio exactly like you came across here...accusatory and down right hateful.
There was a audience FULL of undecided voters ripe for the picking...you pushed gobs of them over to Morris...many of them called in the next few days and said just that.
I'm sorry Carol lost...she would have made a fresh start for the city.

A lot of people are going to start making the "trek" to their home computers next time they want to record an album to get that "magic sound" out of it because ultimately success is down to the artist, not the studio.

There is still a place for recording studios...there is plenty to be said about the feel and performance you can get at a place like Easley's and Rocket Science...a lot of it is down to the room itself but also the freedom of having a good support staff ie: engineers and producers. I think the "magic sound" is found in the above...room, engineer and producer...and a good song never hurts either...but like Mr Dickinson said...the musicians make the magic...and there are a lot of Memphis musicians that are as magical as anyone on the planet. Those are the ones I that I am proud to breath the same Memphis air with...and look forward to the ones that are coming up next...they're out there...breathing Memphis.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 8:02 pm

I don't hate Memphis or it's musicians. I think the musicians and studio talent are very good and I'm proud to be from here. I was objecting to the notion that Memphis's musicians and studios are responsible for the success of some "mediocre" someone who recorded there instead of her "mediocre" talent. But whatever, I don't care any more. It was silly for me to argue about it.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 8:04 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

Christ, Golightly, I was making a JOKE when I said I ran her campaign. Just like I was trying to kid with dtrain when I told him to sleep with Matador! I had nothing to do with talking on some radio station, and I do not have time to listen to any station but WEVL! I already said in a post a minute ago there's a place for studios. I do not get on the radio to talk about politics. Sheesh!
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 8:12 pm

If I read another sentence about breathing Memphis I'm going to puke.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 8:12 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

HAW.

We all need to get over ourselves. That includes me!
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 8:17 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

I just am sorry Golightly didn't understand I was trying to get along with and kid with him when I joked about running Chumney's admittedly poor campaign. Somehow he read in hateful and hostile. I've already acknowledged in a previous post last night that I agreed with Sherman's assessment of Chumney's campaign failings after thinking about it. I'm sorry everyone is so touchy about all this. I wish I could just delete the original post I made and the others I wrote on this topic since it bothered everyone.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 8:20 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

Those are the ones I that I am proud to breath the same Memphis air with...and look forward to the ones that are coming up next...they're out there...breathing Memphis.

where is Sarah Jessica "smell my perfume!" when we're breathing Memphis?
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 8:44 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

I can hear Marc Cohn breathing with us. Heavy breathing...

Eww. "Walking in Memphis" breath.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 9:13 pm

Just please shut up about Cat Power.
This has nothing to do with Cat Power.

And sure, sure...I just took you out of context, you never insulted anyone...repeatedly.
And Limbaugh didn't say "phony soldiers."

You don't know what you're talking about.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 9:18 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

Luke is still angling for a fight and can't let go with that stanky Memphis breath we're all breathing. Poor insulted Luke. The insult concerns began with the "mediocre talent" bit, and I simply answered that comment with what it deserved, then the whining began about the poor insulted musicians even though I like the Memphis band's work. You're the one bringing up Cat Power again, not me, like 10 messages late. If you don't want to hear about the Cat Power issue that was included in Dickinson's post then stop bringing it back up.

We're busy breathing Memphis at this point. Nobody is thinking about Cat Power, Luke.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 9:33 pm

Someone needs their mood stabilizers.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 9:34 pm | Edited by: whistlindixie

Walking with my feet ten feet off of Beale
Walking in Memphis
But do I really feel the way I feel

Oh, my LAWD! Marc Cohn's Memphis breath just set off the tornado sireen! Where is Sarah Jessica?

"Someone needs their mood stabilizers." Poor saispas, pleeze get to Walgreens immediately!
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 10:41 pm

Christ, Golightly, I was making a JOKE when I said I ran her campaign.

Oh...okay...but wait....Aren't jokes supposed to be funny?

Actually....I'm starting to get the joke here.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 11:03 pm

I like the Ramones
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 11:12 pm

whistlindixie=dee?
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 11:14 pm

That is what I was thinking, so VERY Dee.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 11:36 pm

Someone needs their mood stabilizers.

I think she was talking about me.

I like the Ramones

Duly noted.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 11:40 pm

not dee.
dee is way into mike mcCarthy movies, and this lady has a problem with sexploitation.
dee-esque, for sure, though.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 11:47 pm

Hmmmm.

Is it proven whistlindixie is a lesbian?
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 12:17 am

Right, I'm a lesbian Chan who runs Chumney's campaign and talks on the radio.

Can we please stop bringing up people's names like this Dee person and making assumptions about people such as film tastes? I never came here before finding this place yesterday and already it's like some small town where people are trying to find out ways to harass me privately by finding out "who I am". I didn't ask you your private names and I don't know you.

I am sorry I argued about the Cat Power comment by Dickinson. Please stop being invasive about my privacy. I'm sorry this Golightly person thought I was serious about running a campaign and I'm sorry to have offended people.
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 12:19 am

Uh...EXCUSE ME?

Sorry I can't just appear when you little people in Gooner Land snap your fingers (that's Pepe's job), but some of us actually have a movie to make. Maybe you've heard of it. It's called SEX AND THE CITY: THE MOVIE. Soon to be #1 worlwide I assure you. So, alas, you may have to figure out your petty differences on your own , especially this Catfight or whatever you call them, until I am done shooting my current masterpiece. And there's a suprise ending too!

You'll love it!

Buy my perfume Catfight!
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 12:52 am

I never came here before finding this place yesterday

And to think it was a thread I started...to Goners everywhere...my apologies.

Last response from on this thread for sure....the Leave It to Beaver Marathon is about to start on TV land....somehow seems appropo...
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 12:57 am

Golightly, I really did enjoy reading your original posting of the Dickinson comment and the things in his comments made me think. I should have skipped making a big deal out of the Cat Power sentence. Sorry about all that.
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 1:32 am

OK...OK... How about this...

Assless chaps, Sailor Jerry's, the Reacharound, AND I'll bring the KOMEDA cd for ambiance....And you get to sell my records! Christ, it's like I'm parading up and down Danny Thomas Blvd with a sandwich sign on my body already!!!!

I draw the line at glitter body paint. I aint fallin for THAT one again!
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 11:22 pm

Chan is having another of her crying fits right now. I bet her makeup is all fucked up.
Posted: Oct 7, 2007 11:37 pm

Can we please stop bringing up people's names like this Dee person and making assumptions about people

HA!
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 1:04 am | Edited by: whistlindixie

Was talking about film tastes someone earlier decided for me that had nothing to do with me. In retrospect I don't think Dickinson is a "sexist". He mentioned female artists he respected the work of in that comment. I do think there's some paternalism most places on the part of both men and women about who is responsible for the success of women artists, but that's just my opinion.

That doesn't mean I should go off on Dickinson as more paternalistic than other people. He's probably not.

I understand why Luke thinks my post was over the top and I'm sorry it was so badly written and anguished. Seeing JD's comment at the same time as enduring the election brought out too many thoughts that didn't belong together.

Rumpelforeskin's post was much more on point than mine about the one thing in Dickinson's comments I didn't like that I was addressing.

As far as Chumney goes, she most likely didn't win because of not getting out into the black community aggressively enough to interest them in her ideas. The next time someone runs they need to make a strong effort to appeal to all races and make it clear they intend a multiracial administration.

So I was over the top on the tangent I went on of why Chumney didn't win, as I acknowledged the other night.

As far as I'm concerned, the whole thread starting with the part where I entered could be removed and it would be an improvement, but I don't have the option to self-delete my posts.

So I apologize to Luke Warm, Golightly and the rest of you for going too far in some of the statements I made, and of course for the "ole boy" comments I already apologized for earlier. I'm not planning to mess up your boards further by posting, and I'm sorry.
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 1:53 am

Well, this certainly isn't Dee.
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 2:44 am | Edited by: deadcityrebel

Poor insulted Luke.
late once again, but:
luke is a fucking bad ass. don't trip on him. its dudes like him who know what the fuck they're doing in a studio that have made and continue to make so much of that stanky memphis breath awesome.
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 3:57 am

I don't know Luke but I'm sure he's badass. Most Memphis musicians are. Even though Cat Power could have recorded The Greatest anywhere, it wouldn't have had the same soul as it did with our musicians like Hodges, Spake and Easley, to be sure.
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 4:22 am

'just assumed that if you didn't like go go dancers on stage, you wouldn't like movies about girls in their panties.
'not trying to decide for you by any means, though.
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 5:11 am | Edited by: whistlindixie

I'm sorry, dirtyw, I was confused by the references to minute parts of my original post that I'd forgotten and that's why I didn't follow at first. I understand better what you were talking about now when you mentioned sexploitation.
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 5:19 am

OK, I'm no longer annoyed.

luke is a fucking bad ass.

Thank you, sir.
But I'm really just more of an ass.
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 7:35 am

OK, I am now pathetically walking up and down Crump BLVD trying to get ANYBODY's record label to sleep with me. I can't believe it's come to this....Maybe I'm not wearing the right outfit....Miss Linda , HELP!
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 12:31 pm

Oh my lordy, lord...

"We have ALWAYS and ALWAYS WILL have some of the best fucking musicians in the UNIVERSE."

Amen, next piece of biznezz is...

Yup, SixelSix, that's Tony Jackson outta the Searchers...

Listened to that Cat Power LP once, was OK, even with Teenie, etc. Am still being wowed by stuff that Greg, Jack & Memphis peeps recorded, like, two decades ago... JD's importance is really as a catalyst, IMHO, who else woulda brought funk to Lulu (the LP with Dixie Flyers on), RL Burnside stuff to Nashville (the second Southtown 45 is a cover of Roll 'Em On Down), put up with Chilton's extremism (specifically, the 'whizzing up the wall' at Ardent stunt) AND recorded Replacements doing Cruella de Ville and the awesome All He Wants To Do Is Fish? JD is cool as all hell, electric cart or not...
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 12:34 pm

OK, so JD's LPs ain't that great, but he did get Primal Scream to make an at least listenable (ONCE!) record (gawd, that band are shite), and Oh How She Dances off Dixie Fried & the Mudboy stuff is great!

Problem is peeps who plug into the 'canon of great works' shite, even if someone only ever made one great 45 or cut a single dynamite track, that makes 'em equal to the Beatles, Stones, etc, ad nauseum this is what r'n'r is all about, THE MOMENT, or a series of such, not the size of yer expanded & remastered back catalogue!
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 6:31 pm

I can accept that certain places have a certain something that enables musicians to reach outside themselves and move to a different level.

I respect JD for his past and think he made some good points in general, not all only pertaining to Memphis music. But I was mighty disappointed by his greatest hits live release which was, let's face it, LIMP. But he's really more of a writer & producer, right?

People have been journeying to record in other places since recording started, and it has made a difference in their body of work, that they can grow with and change with.

I went all the way to Memphis to see one of my favorite bands perform because I love Memphis and felt that being there for that would be a good time & good experience. and I wanted some good BBQ.
there is something about Memphis (and Tennessee in general) and its geographical situation that makes it a center for sound and music and how it develops. you can't change that or give it away or relocate it.

music recorded on home computers will exist more & more but you cannot bottle or digitize or download inspiration that flows from an environment and moment in time

places have feeling and that can inspire an artist to attempt different things and succeed with them ...

we can give credit to Chan Marshall for outperforming her lousy back catalog by heading to Memphis but still prefer the real thing.

and that Raiders album recorded in Memphis still is weak ... and Mitch Ryder/Bob Crewe's "Detroit-Memphis experiment" did not succeed either ...
so just going to Memphis to record is not an across-the-board success. really it's a easy way out --- the true sounds of Memphis & nearby will always come from the talent that springs up there

"you got to give Tennessee credit for music"

i'm waiting for somebody to record a hit single at the Al Green Rest Area on Hwy. 40
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 6:44 pm

i'm waiting for somebody to record a hit single at the Al Green Rest Area on Hwy. 40

I prefer a really good #2 to a #1 anyday...
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 8:18 pm

....Miss Linda , HELP!

Try the Bus Station
It seems to work for Blag
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 4:44 am

Go pour a stiff one whistlindixie...and put on some Cat Powers if it makes you happy....it's not a bad showing for Carol...maybe next time...but do yourself a favor and go buy some stuff Alicja Trout is putting out...River City Tanlines, Mouserocket or any of the other 20 bands she's been affiliated with...if gender is so important to you.

Alicia kicks Chan's ass, any day of the week. Also, I only went to see Cat Power play in London during The Greatest tour because of the Memphians who were backing her up. In addition to their amazing musical contribution to her music, they seemed to give her some emotional stability, as well.
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 8:19 am

I only went to see Cat Power play in London during The Greatest tour because of the Memphians who were backing her up. In addition to their amazing musical contribution to her music, they seemed to give her some emotional stability, as well.

Thank you, and good night.
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 6:43 pm

I will be at the bus station tomorrow morning bright and early dancing a "jig" for all who wanna come and throw pennies at me.

Thanks Miss Linda!
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 6:54 pm

early dancing a "jig"

that's called shaking the haters off
Posted: Oct 9, 2007 7:31 pm

I will be at the bus station tomorrow morning bright and early

on 42nd st? you'll make a ton of money.
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 12:49 am

I've never listened to Cat Power, but damn does she look good in her two Men's Vogue shots ...
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 10:04 pm | Edited by: miss linda

I've never listened to Cat Power, but damn does she look good in her two Men's Vogue shots ...

You crazy lenny!
She's terrible!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®