Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 10:57 pm

who are you thinking about voting for in the mayoral election?
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 12:21 am

I don't know if the other candidates can do any better than Herenton, but 4 terms is enough. I am strongly leaning towards Morris, but I am going to wait and see til election day and do my own polling. If Chumney has a better chance of overcoming Herenton, then I am voting for her to make it more likely that Herenton does not win.

Reading the questionnaire responses on www.bettermemphis.org has been really insightful.

Also funny is Lit's tirade against Hedgepeth:
http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A33925
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 12:40 am

One more really funny thing, the only negative comment about Lit comes from Hedgepeth's brother. Nice.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 1:46 am

Mongo.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 3:13 am

Mongo.
I voted for Mongo in 1992 - the election where Herenton won by only 150 votes.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 3:15 am

Lawler (I voted twice).
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 3:48 am

I'm leaning toward Morris too. I'm kinda with you though Hemant. I just really don't want Herenton to win again. Although I'm afraid it may be inevitable.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 3:58 am

I voted for Mongo in 1992 - the election where Herenton won by only 150 votes.
Me too.

As of right now, I am leaning strongly toward Chumney. After reading the questionnaires she clearly has the most experience, and can construct a conherent sentence that doesn't sound like her publicist wrote it.
It's funny, but all of my political friends are voting for Morris because they think that he has the best chance to beat Herenton. This morning I saw a crawl on the a.m. channel 5 news that said Chumney and Herenton are running neck and neck.

I do think that there's a good chance that Willie will be defeated. Memphians are pretty fed up about a lot of things. The only thing that worries me is my aforementioned liberal minded friends who are voting for Morris because they think HE can beat him.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 1:13 pm

Where can I go to get an accurate report of who's got the best chance of beating him? 'Cause that's who I'm voting for.

I'm hoping that all that divine purpose stuff pissed a lot of his constituency off. That shit ain't cool with religious people. Plus the MLGW crap affected everyone across all socioeconomic levels. I doubt anyone would forget that - unless the ~$40 "refund" is still the thing that's fresh on their minds. Woohoo! $40! Nothing surprises me when it comes to him and the people who continue to vote for him though.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 1:27 pm

Seems to me like Morris is taking votes from Chumney and vice versa...Herenton wins.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 1:58 pm

Seems to me like Morris is taking votes from Chumney and vice versa...Herenton wins.

That's exactly how I'm seeing it. Unfortunately, guys going to be our mayor again.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 2:01 pm

One of those two is a spoiler...and it may be intentional...I haven't figured out the angle yet.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 2:55 pm

Where can I go to get an accurate report of who's got the best chance of beating him? 'Cause that's who I'm voting for.

Exactly. I don't think Herrington has a solid backing from the black community and that Chumney or Morris could actually squeeze through and win.

I think most black Memphians will vote for Morris before Chumney, which is why I will probably vote for him. Unfortunately, I do think he'll be a puppet mayor. Chumney, on the other hand, doesn't give a fuck about what other people think - based on her divisive city council tenure. That use to bug me, but now I'm kind of liking that about her. But again, I'll only end up voting for her if by the time election day comes she's more clearly got an edge.

I was told that Memphis use to have runoff elections but it ended around the time of Hackett b/c black candidates would never make it on the ticket. Well, things have changed and I think it's time to revisit having runoffs.

ughhh...I'm so frustrated. I want to early vote but I'm still so uncertain.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 4:36 pm | Edited by: tigergreen

i'm holding off until election day to vote just so i can watch the last minute drama unfold (there's always something) and change my mind if i want.

as of right now, though, i'm leaning toward morris. i agree with lemissa that i think black memphians will more likely side with morris than chumney, and therefore, may have a better chance of beating herenton than anyone.

my area has a ton of chumney signs, but then if i drive 5 minutes in any direction, they all disappear.

one thing is, i look at nashville from 15 years ago, and they had a businessman, bredesen, in the mayor's office at that point. we all see the changes nashville's undergone in the years since that time. morris is the only businessman, not career politician, in the group (screw willingham - he's just adding to the split of the vote, imo).

besides, i think whoever wins this time is in for only one term....my money is on AC running for mayor next time, with or without consolidation.

for what it's worth, lemissa, i think the CA is coming out with another scientific poll (like they had in the spring) on sunday...
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 6:21 pm | Edited by: hemant

i'm actually surprised at how little scientific polling there has been in this election. I guess news sites have replaced polling with stupid web polls, but those only show how those with internet access at that website would vote.

Polling is what tells the politicians to accept that their not going to win, and to toss support behind a politician who actually has a chance. There's 14 candidates in this race, and only 3 people who have a chance. The others pretty much are taking votes away from either chumney or morris. They should have stepped out of the race a long time ago. Either Chumney or Morris needs to go ahead selflessly step out now.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 6:24 pm

morris is taking some black vote from herenton
chumney is taking some democrat/liberal vote from morris
willingham is taking some republican vote from morris
prediction:
herenton 34%
morris 26%
chumney 22%
willingham 10%
crazzzyy people 8%

it's a free for all!

herenton takes the belt.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 6:45 pm

i am writing in earles 's mom
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 6:58 pm

The Flyer is reporting today that Chumney is narrowly trailing Herrington. I had been holding off making a final decision on who to vote for until I saw the polls, but I think that means I'm voting for Chumney.

Normally, I don't like that kind of gamesmanship. I think democracy produces better outcomes if everyone votes for the person whose positions and policies they most agree with rather than who they think has the best chance of winning or protest votes or whatever. But in this case, I think the best thing for Memphis would be to dig the Herrington machine out of city government and get some fresh faces in there. Corruption is the problem, and Chumney has the both the proper throw-the-bums-out attitude and the best chance to win.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 8:21 pm

is that in the print edition, CBG? can't find it online.

i voted at white station church of christ on Colonial today. city council candidates where fighting over people walking in. embarrassing. and i think i saw reid hedgepeth. he apparently exists. or maybe it was a cardboard cutout.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 9:47 pm

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/Content?oid=oid%3A34041

Thats good enough for me. Morris, bow out now!
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 11:23 pm

Normally, I don't like that kind of gamesmanship. I think democracy produces better outcomes if everyone votes for the person whose positions and policies they most agree with rather than who they think has the best chance of winning or protest votes or whatever. But in this case, I think the best thing for Memphis would be to dig the Herrington machine out of city government and get some fresh faces in there. Corruption is the problem, and Chumney has the both the proper throw-the-bums-out attitude and the best chance to win.

All my sentiments, exactly.
And, lemissa's are mine too.

Personally, I got totally fed up with Willie when he wouldn't mow the city parks because he wasn't getting what he wanted budgetwise. I really believe that there are tons of Memphians fed up with his arrogance.
And, I would much rather have a politician in office than a businessman. I mean...Morris doesn't have exactly a shining example of being a businessman if you're basing that on his helm at MLGW.
If you haven't read the questionnaires, they are highly enlightening reading.
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 11:50 pm | Edited by: andria

god, i hate to be this way, but after reading the questionaires, I think I might vote for the uber-shrill chumney.

it's like settling for a root canal vs an impacted wisdom tooth or a half-dozen cavities.
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 12:17 am

i still don't underestimate the fact that if morris steps down, that black voters will end up voting for herenton because they hate the white devil. heh. herenton and his stupid screams about how early voting is disenfranchising voters still makes me think that he is shakin' in his boots though.
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 1:39 am

Willingham 2%. Bow out buddy. Give that 2% to someone else.

I'm with you Andria re: Chumney. Someone insisted that I meet her at Tsunami one night. I think he just assumed I was voting for her. I was immediately unimpressed with her demeanor. Now it looks as though I may have to vote for her. Super.
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 2:28 am

i still don't underestimate the fact that if morris steps down, that black voters will end up voting for herenton

I don't think that Morris pulls any of the black vote just because he's black. If blackness of mayor is an important quality, you're voting for Herenton.

Somehow this tri-state defender endoresement says the same thing, just not as bluntly.
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 2:29 pm

Hemant, I think there are some, not many, but some black Memphians who will vote for Morris before Chumney, my neighbor included. She said she's tired of Herrington's arrogance and it's time for change - same thing we're all saying. But she did say that she didn't think "Chumney would be good for everybody b/c she had trouble with peole on the city council." Now I do think the 'voting for Morris b/c he's black' may be only 2% of the black community, but that 2% could have an impact in this tight race.

In the in end though, it looks like I'm voting for Chumney too b/c she's got the best chance. Andria, your metaphors of the pain of this election isn't causing couldn't be more perfect.

Sadly, Memphis mayoral races at this time needs to be between two black men. Hopefully that wil change to be more inclusive, but for now any other ticket hands Herenton four more years.

Black Memphians vote for weaker black politicians over stronger white ones b/c they had no political representation at all until the 70s. It's not logical because it's emotinal. Maybe in fifty years these scenerios will be different, but at this moment in time, just a historical nanosecond after Jim Crow and King's murder, the weaker black politician will win everytime. It's history's ripple effect - deny a group a voice for so long and they are going to hold on tight to it once it's gained, maybe irrationally so at times, which is why Herenton on the cover of the Tri-State Defender and the long line of Ford representation is no surprise at all.
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 4:00 pm

whoa -- this in today's CA:

Criminal records, bankruptcies among burdens being carried into elections
By Marc Perrusquia

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Young and idealistic, Reid Hedgepeth says he's running for Memphis City Council to restore integrity to a government derided in recent years as a den of waste, inefficiency and graft.

Yet the upstart politician has imperfections of his own.

Hedgepeth was delinquent on his city and county property taxes, with arrears exceeding $33,000 Tuesday before he rushed Downtown to pay off a chunk of it after speaking with a reporter. On Wednesday, he paid off the rest.

Hedgepeth's urgency stems from an obscure provision in the City Charter that says anyone "in arrears for taxes'' is ineligible to hold elective office.

And he's not the only one on the ballot facing that dilemma.

Background checks by The Commercial Appeal found 10 candidates who were behind this week on their property tax bills. They range from incumbent Councilwoman Barbara Swearengen Ware, who owed $1,300

in back taxes on a rental property, to City Clerk candidate Latroy Williams, whose $124,000 in tax arrears began accumulating in 1997.

The newspaper found much more than unpaid taxes, however. Among 93 candidates running in next Thursday's mayoral, council and clerk races, 48 of them had some blemish in their past. That includes either a criminal conviction, a bankruptcy, an unpaid judgment, a loan or contract default, child support arrears, delinquent property taxes or a federal tax lien.

Some, like Veronica Castillo, had a multitude of financial woes. A leading candidate for the District 7 council seat, Castillo has filed for bankruptcy five times since 1995. She tops a list of 20 candidates who've sought protection from creditors in bankruptcy court at some point in their past.

And at least 14 candidates have local arrest histories, ranging from council candidate Tiffany Lowe, a felon convicted of forgery and reckless endangerment, to incumbent Mayor Willie Herenton, who paid a $50 fine for disorderly conduct following a 1960 arrest involving an alleged sexual encounter.

"Memphis voters are very forgiving,'' said University of Memphis professor Larry Moore, who sees a variety of factors behind the large crop of candidates, many carrying baggage from their pasts.

Shifting American political standards, lowered expectations of elected leaders and a mass exodus out of corruption-tarnished City Hall have converged in a perfect storm that's cast a tidal wave of 76 candidates seeking 13 City Council seats.

Forty-eight contenders are vying for a record seven open seats, and the six incumbents seeking re-election have between one and seven challengers.

Top of mind for Moore is outgoing Councilman Edmund Ford, who was broke and desperate -- he had filed three bankruptcies in two years -- when first elected in 1999.

On the council, Ford found a $30,000-a-year job along with developers willing to give him loans and help him buy luxury cars -- and eventually an indictment charging him with bribery.

"Memphis is basically ground zero for all the major corruption in the state for the last two years. That will be a major factor for how voters will look at these things,'' said Moore, a longtime political consultant.

"It may make Memphis voters a little more critical (and decide) you don't want to put into office the same kind of person who just left who will give you the same kind of problems.''

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 4:01 pm

A more immediate concern may be whether some candidates now delinquent on property taxes are legally qualified to run in the first place.

The City Charter states that "no person shall be eligible'' for mayor or a seat on the council "who is in arrears for taxes.''

The obscure provision stemming from an 1879 law poses potential trouble for candidates like Hedgepeth, a homebuilder who was behind on taxes on several properties he's developing.

"I try to do the right thing,'' said Hedgepeth, 30, owner of Hedgepeth Construction. He said he typically pays off late taxes when he closes a sale on a home he's built.

"We've been building for a while, and that's how we've always done it,'' he said of a business decision echoed by his campaign manager, City Councilman Jack Sammons.

"It's industry practice for a builder to pay the taxes on a house at closing,'' Sammons said.

However, records reviewed earlier this week show Hedgepeth's tax debt also included $8,400 in delinquent city taxes, penalties and interest owed on his personal home in East Memphis -- something he disputed at first when speaking with a reporter.

"I keep that paid up,'' he said.

Hedgepeth did pay most of the 2006 county taxes owed on his home on Aug. 7 -- five months late, said Paul Mattila, a top aide in the County Trustee's Office.

After speaking with a reporter Tuesday afternoon, Hedgepeth went down to City Hall and paid the delinquent city taxes on his home -- $8,402 in all, records show.

On Wednesday, Hedgepeth paid off his remaining city and county delinquency -- about $24,000. "He didn't want there to be any doubt about the issue so he went ahead and paid it,'' Sammons said.

Still, it's unclear exactly what legal ramifications such delinquencies pose under the City Charter. Court decisions challenging similar city laws in other parts of the country have been mixed, and authorities contacted by the newspaper said they were unsure if the Memphis law had ever been enforced or ruled on by the courts. Sammons said he and colleagues seem to recall that the charter provision was overturned about 20 years ago.

Politically, however, tax delinquency is a no-brainer, said Sean O'Brien, executive director of the University of Virginia's Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership.

"Do you really want someone who doesn't pay their taxes to collect your taxes?'' said O'Brien, summing up an argument often made by candidates whose opponents owe delinquent taxes.

Shelby County Trustee Bob Patterson, the elected official charged with collecting property taxes here, has heard arguments like those by Sammons and Hedgepeth before and he rejects them.

"Running for an elected office, you have an onus to pay your taxes,'' Patterson said. "You have to set the example.''

No candidate has a bigger delinquent property tax bill than city clerk candidate Williams, whose First Supreme Trust Co. owes $124,000 in delinquent city and county property taxes on a commercial building in Whitehaven. Arrears on the building date back to 1997. Properties generally are put in a delinquent tax sale after three years, yet Williams has filed a number of legal challenges to block that, Patterson said.

Still, Hedgepeth and Williams have plenty of company. City and county records reviewed by the newspaper this week include these candidates and delinquent taxes, interest and penalties:

Council District 8 Position 1 candidate Ian Randolph, $6,846, on his Midtown home and a second vacant property.

District 6 candidate Clifford Lewis, $5,966, on a home in Southwest Memphis.

District 1 candidate Jesse Jeff, $7,748, on his Frayser home.

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 4:01 pm

In some council contests there's hardly a horse in the race that doesn't come with some baggage, financial or otherwise.

So it is in District 7 where 13-year incumbent Barbara Swearengen Ware, already criticized as a cog in the old City Hall machine, owes $1,379 in delinquent city and county property taxes as of Wednesday on a house she owns in the Cooper-Young neighborhood.

Challenger Veronica Castillo said she asked the Election Commission Wednesday to remove Holt from the ballot because of those unpaid taxes.

"I asked them to investigate the issue and talk to the attorney regarding her status, if she's qualified to run," said Castillo.

But Shelby County Election Commission administrator James Johnson said that was an issue that would have to be decided by the city attorney.

Records show Castillo and another of Ward's challengers have their own financial troubles.

With four previous bankruptcies on her record, Castillo, 46, filed for bankruptcy again in January, seeking protection from six creditors who are owed $180,000.

Preston Poindexter, 51, a pastor who vows to "bring honesty and integrity back to government'' has filed for bankruptcy twice in 12 years. He recently moved into a Downtown apartment, having lost his Raleigh house in March in a foreclosure sale. Nonetheless, his campaign found the means to launch a vigorous fight.

Bigger than life he smiles from a giant rented billboard overlooking Interstate 40, framed by a red-white-and-blue background and an inspiring campaign message, "A Change Is Coming!''

"A lot of us go through (financial) issues and have problems,'' he told a reporter, saying he doesn't believe his struggles will bother voters. "It doesn't make us any different than others in Memphis.''

Memphis often leads the country in bankruptcy rates, and just about everybody knows someone who's taken a bankruptcy at one time or another. Yet some say City Council members -- fiduciaries who vote on a $537 million annual budget -- should be held to a higher standard.

And someone who's filed multiple bankruptcies should get even less benefit of the doubt, said George Stevenson, Chapter 13 trustee for the federal bankruptcy court in Memphis the past 25 years.

"You should suspect that they might have decision problems,'' he said.

The Sorensen Institute's O'Brien said marginal candidates are getting into politics in greater numbers because the best and the brightest have been driven away by fear of scandal and media scrutiny.

But there are more pieces to the Memphis puzzle. First there was the sense of Mayor Herenton's vulnerability -- he has 13 challengers -- and the decision of seven council incumbents to not seek re-election. And the bar for getting on the ballot is low: Mayor and council candidates need only collect 25 signatures and pay a $100 fee.

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 4:02 pm

Laura Davis Aaron bills herself in campaign literature as a proven leader who's doing double duty running for mayor as well as president of the United States.

What the long-shot candidate doesn't tell voters is that she has a criminal rap sheet and a history of financial troubles. As Laura Carter, she pleaded guilty to common assault in 1980 after shooting a man in the leg, and she pleaded guilty to open and notorious lewdness in 1985. She's filed for bankruptcy protection four times, including once in Memphis as Laura Davis; in Chattanooga as Laura Carter; and again in Memphis as Laura Ibitoye.

Aaron, 56, couldn't be reached because the number listed for her campaign headquarters was disconnected. Yet others were readily available to talk about their pasts, like mayoral candidate James McKay, who had a string of alcohol- and drug-relatd arrests in the 1980s and '90s.

"That was a long time ago,'' said McKay, 60, who's running for mayor out of his Downtown apartment. Judging by a mug shot from a 1991 arrest -- he appears half dead, droopy-eyed and slouching -- it's hard to know why McKay wants to be mayor or why he thinks he has a snowball's chance.

"My platform is literally law and order and political reform,'' said McKay, a self-described born-again Christian who says he has a legitimate shot at winning. "I have people in high places who have promised their votes to me.''

Among 14 candidates with at least one local conviction, the newspaper could find only one, Lowe, with a felony.

A couple with a misdemeanor in the distant past include Myron Lowery, who's seeking a fifth term in the council's District 8 Position 3 seat. Records show Lowery pleaded guilty to assault and battery in 1982.

"People know me in my calm demeanor as a councilman,'' Lowery, 60, said this week, explaining the incident stemmed from an emotional child custody battle.

"Had that not been a child custody case, it would have never come up. She (his ex-wife) filed charges to gain leverage.''

Even less known is Mayor Herenton's 1960 arrest when he and three friends were picked up by police after they were accused of a sexual attack.

Herenton suggested to The Memphis Flyer in 1991 when he first ran for mayor that his arrest stemmed from racial bigotry.

"Being picked up and hauled off in a patrol car was a way of life in the South in the neighborhood where I grew up,'' Herenton told The Flyer.

Records show Herenton was arrested after two women said they'd been abducted by a group of four young men. According to the report, at least one alleged she was sexually assaulted.

The women told police the men forced them into a car in South Memphis and took them to T.O. Fuller State Park, according to the report of the Aug. 20, 1960, incident.

Herenton and his friends "admitted taking these girls to the park and told the same story as the two'' women, the report said, "except that no force or threat was used.''

The records don't explain how police worked through the conflicting stories and decided to not file more serious charges.

Herenton declined comment Wednesday.
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 4:40 pm | Edited by: lemissa

Between that article and our new #1 ranking as the most violent city, I'm speechless. Speechless I say! It's so surreal. Makes me want to hook up with Miss Linda on election day and do nothing but eat pizza. mmmm....pizza...it really does make everything better.
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 4:42 pm

if i could vote, i'd vote for Chummney
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 4:44 pm

Well, sugardaddy, it being Memphis and all, I think we could figure out a way to get your vote in.
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 6:49 pm

This just in: Some Memphis politicians may be crooks!
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 6:51 pm

vote early and vote often
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 6:51 pm

It's shocking.
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 10:26 pm

and depressing....i hate the fact that the CA waited on that story until early voting is almost done. unfortunately, some of these jackwads (hedgepeth) will get elected.
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 11:14 pm

Here's some math to think about: According to the Yacoubian poll, Herenton's at 30%, Chum at 28, Mo at 21 --- BUT 18 % are Undecided! Willie's gettin' none of that. Which makes Chummers chances look pretty solid. Say she gets half, putting her at 39 %. Willie won't get there. Even Morris could beat him if he gets half the undecideds. Willie's sweatin' snakes about now. 'Course new polls could alter that between now and next week.
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 11:41 pm

Between that article and our new #1 ranking as the most violent city, I'm speechless.

So, I suppose considering a move home is ludicrous?

Everytime I send articles like this to my friend Carlos who grew up in Memphis and worked at Youth Villages with me and now lives in Baton Rouge, he totally laughs and says, "And you think THIS is bad? HA! Move to Louisiana."
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 11:49 pm

Well, sugardaddy, it being Memphis and all, I think we could figure out a way to get your vote in.

Yeah, but you'll have to die first.
Posted: Sep 28, 2007 1:28 am

So, I suppose considering a move home is ludicrous?

Move back. Sure, Memphis is getting to be more and more like a New Orleans or Baltimore with crime and corruption, but all of that doesn't cancel out the value of a city entirely. Cheap housing, friends, family, good music, good artists, good food, and lots and lots of trees keep me here. That defines my quality of life, not the knuckle heads down at city hall. All the craziness frustrates me so much b/c I feel protective over my city and am pissed off such a gem is being treated so poorly.
Posted: Sep 28, 2007 3:19 am

We're thinking about it. I did some house price searches at Zillow.com and was STUNNED to see that cute little place I lived on Lee Place went recently for only 130K!!!! WHAT?!?!?!?!
Posted: Sep 28, 2007 3:59 am

And we need intellgent voters down here to vote the knuckleheads out.

btw, zillow is absolutely crap for house prices in Memphis
Posted: Sep 28, 2007 2:55 pm

I was wondering. The price they got on my family home on Peabody is LOOOOOOW balling things big time. That property is not in the best of shape, but it is huge income property.
Posted: Sep 28, 2007 5:41 pm

Makes me want to hook up with Miss Linda on election day and do nothing but eat pizza.

I'm assuming that "pizza" is code for Bourbon!
Posted: Sep 28, 2007 6:39 pm

I'm a natural antagonist, so even though the angel on the left shoulder says "miss carol.........vote for Carol Chumney" I'm voting for Wild Willie Herenton! Four more years of entertainment!

Hail SATAN!!!!
Posted: Sep 30, 2007 6:45 pm

Another poll in CA today, with Chumney and Morris tied, but trailing Herenton!
Posted: Sep 30, 2007 9:39 pm

Yeah, but 20% were undecided! It's anybody's race to win. And my guess is Willie doesn't have a lot folks who are undecided about him. This is going to be crazy on Thursday. I think Morris wins by a moustache hair.
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 1:15 am

I hope so, Lettuce Knot, b/c I early voted and went with Morris. I based my decision on talking to people, the fact that CA backed him (any influence? maybe - maybe not) and that in the end I really don't like Chumney. But, hey, that's just me. Just vote!
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:26 pm

New poll from Rasmussen commissioned by Fox 13:

Herenton: 36%
Chumney: 35%
Morris: 22%
Willingham: 2%
Undecided: 6%

Herenton and Chumney in a statistical dead heat. Morris is out of it. If you don't like the mayor, vote for Chumney. It's going to come down to Herenton and Chumney''s get out the vote effort. I'm betting on contested results and a recount before this thing is over.
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:32 pm

has anyone noticed the unusual amount of people cleaning the streets and doing city work in general, paid off to vote for herenton?
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:40 pm

has anyone noticed the unusual amount of people cleaning the streets and doing city work in general, paid off to vote for herenton?

Hell yeah. They're all over Mendenhall/Mt. Moriah. I get to see it every day on my work commute.
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 4:58 pm

Yeah, I've never seen so many people mowing and edging parkway and city school lawns.
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 1:36 pm

I guess I'll vote for her then. Dangit.
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 3:55 pm

still on the gosh damn fence, here. I was all set to go with Morris because I figured he had the best chance insomuch as inner-city afro-americans are NOT going to vote for a white lady. But these poll numbers are throwing me for a loop (I know, I know fuck a poll etc.).

OTOH, I just spoke to my sister and she and all her rich, cracker-ass E. Memphis friends are voting for Morris. I'm confused. All she/ they care about is getting Herenton out, so why vote for the dude trailing?

my cynical prediction: Herenton for another four. Go Memphis!!
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 4:17 pm

are there any current polls going?
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 5:43 pm

There have been three big polls done during the last couple of weeks. The first was the Flyer poll, which was done by Yacoubian research. Berj Yacoubian has been polling in this town for at least 20 years. I was an exit pollster for him during the 1994 Congressional election. He knows the city and how to run a poll here. His poll, done at the end of September, showed:

Herenton 30%
Chumney 28%
Morris 21%
Willingham 2%
Undecided 18%

It should be noted that the Flyer endorsed no one for Mayor.

The next poll was done by the Commercial Appeal, who hired a polling firm I had never heard of. This poll was done after the Yacoubian poll, but there was some time overlap. It showed:

Herenton 24%
Chuney 19%
Morris 19%
Undecided: 22%

The Commercial Appeal endorsed Morris.

Now what happened? Did everybody but Morris mysteriously lose 5% of their support in less than a week, while Morris held steady? And then, when the Fox poll above came out, did Chumney and Herenton gain back that support?

The way I look at it, we've got two polls done by reputable organizations that show similar results (Herenton and Chumney in a dead heat, Morris trailing significantly) and a believable trend (Undecideds going down while candidates' support goes up) and one poll, commissioned by a party who has endorsed a candidate and done by an organization of unknown origin and reputation, whose results favor the endorsed candidate of the commissioning party.

And that, pretty much, is why I voted for Chumney this morning.
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 5:46 pm

sorry, i've seen those was looking for exit polls
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 6:24 pm

Oh. Sorry!

I'll post exit poll info if and when I find it, but I wouldn't expect it before late this afternoon.
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 6:25 pm

yeah, i've been looking but not seeing anything, wondering if i threw my vote away
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 7:10 pm

chumney didn't even have campaigners at our polls, and the morris girl was listening to headphones and staring into space, while the herenton lady sat in a fold up chair and glared at me. it truly is anybody's race.
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 7:31 pm

chumney didn't even have campaigners at our polls, and the morris girl was listening to headphones and staring into space, while the herenton lady sat in a fold up chair and glared at me. it truly is anybody's race.

So funny one second, so infuriating the next.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 1:51 am

OK, still no exit poll information, but apparently turnout is low--like 42% of registered voters. Jackson Baker and Berj Yacoubian were just on channel 5 speculated that meant that the Mayor's get-out-the-vote effort weren't as effective as they could have been. Turnout was apparently light in Hickory Hill and Frazier.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 1:59 am

I voted at 7:45 this a.m. and there was no one ahead of me in line. I was very surprised. What if all those undecideds just didn't vote?

I got a very RAH RAH HA HA email from my Morris supporter friend a couple of days after I emailed her the Yacoubian Poll. I think I deleted it, but basically it was a forward from the Morris camp saying that the poll was suspicious. It bothered me, because we have always been on the same side politically, and she bout bit my head off about HERMAN MORRIS IS THE MAN!

I also was terribly offended by all the "ONLY HERMAN CAN WIN" signs that have been showing up around Midtown. Uh...is that because he's BLACK? How can these liberals swing both ways with the race card??
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 1:59 am

So good news if true.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:14 am

Berj says his numbers say Chumney is ahead in Midtown.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:26 am

Herenton ahead in early voting numbers.

H 30121
C 22625
M 17824

H 42.68%
C 32.06%
M 25.25%
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:34 am

How many polling stations reporting?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:39 am

Uh...is that because he's BLACK? How can these liberals swing both ways with the race card??

I don't think they're playing the race card but rather accepting that it exists. I think that if you want to get the black baptist/cogic vote in memphis, you've got to be a black candidate...

Or Steve Cohen.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:39 am

How many polling stations reporting?

And which ones?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:50 am

That's just the early and absentee votes.

Berj Yacoubian says Herenton's lead may be insurmountable.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:51 am

The real question is, "who voted for dee?"
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:01 am

We're fucked.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:16 am

i think i voted for dee...well i'm still soooo fucked up from gonerfest.. everything was blury... good luck huey p. long
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:16 am

Yep, we're fucked.
But, I am taking some satisfaction in the fact that I can say to my friends "All Herman did was split the vote" instead of them pointing the finger at ME!

And, I think I just saw that Dee may actually be ahead in her race!!
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:20 am

Sigh. Where's AC when you need him?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:27 am

i voted at noon-thirty, and there was no one ahead of me in line either. wtf?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:29 am

What race is Dee in?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:30 am

And, I think I just saw that Dee may actually be ahead in her race!!

no...Dee's at 6% compared to Stricklands 74%
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:41 am

ehhhh shit. king willy's once again going to be our damn mayor. what an asshole.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:43 am

He's entertainment. Look at our mayor! BORING DORK.

http://www.stpete.org/mayor/index.htm
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 4:04 am

okay, I am now 500 miles away from memphis and just read on the wrec website that morris and chumley conceded... damn... and yep. i did vote for dee!
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 4:13 am

Anyone into a little thing a free society likes to call "term limits"?
Guess not. Congratulations Willie Herenton on a virtual landslide and a 5th term as a civil servant.
Shake those haters off, Willie!
PS My dad sad he met Lawler and rapped with him a little when he was running for mayor and he totally dug him.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 4:15 am

Remember when there was that Lawler for Mayor/Partnership Memphis party at P&H years ago? Or was that two separate events? Good times. Fucking Herenton...yeah, and what happened to the concept of term limits when Memphis was drawing up its charter? Poli Sci majors out there?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 4:24 am | Edited by: Alisa

no...Dee's at 6% compared to Stricklands 74%

Oh yeah...the stacking of all the candidates was a bit confusing!

Man, Herenton's just wack. Talk about divisive...
His whole acceptance speech is just flat out mean spirited.
"I don't have the problem...they have the problem".
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 4:32 am

I mean, really, he might have well stood up there and said, "Fuck Whitey".
Unbelievable.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 4:45 am

Herenton is A DOUCHEBAG.
Unbelievable is right. I am disgusted.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:05 am

I think "Fuck Whitey" was actually Herenton's campaign slogan, wasn't it?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:18 am

He needs to go back to The Picadilly and get robbed again.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:22 am

I pulled for Willy, 'cause Willy's always stuck up for me.
But I didn't vote for him.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 6:31 am

He needs to go back to The Picadilly and get robbed again.

fo' real. who the fuck would want to eat at picadilly anyway? an asshole, that's who.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 7:50 am

anyone but dee. sorry.

herenton's machine beats mlgw smug beaurocrat asshole and combative white female city council rival.

memphis.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 9:48 am

oh i just figured out who dee is.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:03 pm | Edited by: saispas

I know this is no salve, but at least you know what you are dealing with. Apparently he won by his least amount of voters ever, so while the next 4 years will be filled with more bullshit and guffaw-producing press conferences, people can start now on working towards a more viable candidate.

And, oh yeah, Ryan and I are moving to/back to Memphis. So we'll be there to cry/laugh with you by Summer '08. Seriously. YAY!
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:36 pm

I think there should be some kind of diagnosable disorder one gets from living under the reign of idiots. Machiavellian fatigue? Between eight years of Bush and 16 years of Herenton, sometimes I feel like my head is going to burst.

I daydream of high tailing it to some Dutch village, where I ride a bike everywhere, the violent crime rate is virtually non-existent and its legal to partake. Oh well, here I am, here I stay far from la la land. Sometimes living here is so harsh.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:46 pm

where I ride a bike everywhere, the violent crime rate is virtually non-existent and its legal to partake.

Well, this was almost Portland and lemme tell ya, baby, it can drive you just as batty. Sometimes it can be fun to be up against it.

Hey, email me at k dot irene dot young AT gmail dot com, lemissa, OK?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:17 pm | Edited by: saispas

From the Flyer:

After thanking his supporters, Herenton began reciting a litany of grievances against various "haters" and "mean people," including a Liberty Bowl crowd that booed him -- a crowd that was, in Herenton's words, "90 percent white."

Herenton went on to say he now knew "who was for him and who was against him." and
Herenton did single out his "few white brothers who have stuck with me," including developer Rusty Hyneman and used-car salesman Mark Goodfellow.

Returning to whites other than those few, Herenton warned, "If you're not careful, they'll work a game on you. They have psychology." -

WOWWWWWWWWW. Does Memphis feel sorta like that tense feeling immediately post-OJ verdict today?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:28 pm

"few white brothers who have stuck with me," including developer Rusty Hyneman and used-car salesman Mark Goodfellow.

That's hilarious! Who doesn't want Mark Goodfellow on your side?
I would love to know the actual number of white votes Herenton got.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:32 pm | Edited by: saispas

I am telling you--the psychology and games we white people have are off the chain. Watch it. How exhausting!
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:41 pm

Sigh. Where's AC when you need him?
I know. So sad. He would have been a shoo-in.

Ryan and I are moving to/back to Memphis
When?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:46 pm

Summer 08--hopefully end of May if we can talk our landlords here into letting us out a month early and still get our deposits back.

Email me and let's chat about it--we are very excited, though I am having a tendency to break down the negatives/realities for Ryan. I probably need to stop that, huh?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 4:02 pm

What a fucking disaster. I got about a minute into Herenton's speech before I turned it off and broke out the Dickel. Just think about all of the terrible precedents set by this election:

1. You can win an election in Memphis by dividing the races. It was true fifty years ago, and it's true now. It's the easiest, shortest and surest way to victory. Just think what the congressional election is going to look like next year.
2. You don't ever have to show up at a debate to win. You don't even have to address any issues at all.
3. Job performance doesn't matter. You can fail, and fail spectacularly, and still win.
4. Cult of personality trumps everything.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 4:20 pm

Welcome to the US of A. The race aspect is more of an obvious issue there, but ultimately, we are talking shitty, beyond arrogant politicians being able to manipulate their way into office time and time again.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 4:40 pm

At least we have an almost new city council. Still have a couple of pure idiots (Joe Brown and Swearengen), but the old council was an absolute joke. When's the last time we changed laws in our books that actually helped the city progress?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 4:44 pm

Yeah, as much of a Pollyanna thing this is to say, you gots to look at the positives in order to use that to make any change. Complaining about the negatives is OK the day after the election doesn't go your way, but after that, time to move on and see what needs to happen. I seriously think if more time had been spent finding and building up a good candidate, Herenton would have been gone. This just was not the time.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 5:46 pm

Yeah, as much of a Pollyanna thing this is to say, you gots to look at the positives in order to use that to make any change.

I agree...I was shocked as hell, but the sun DID come up this morning, right along with my headache from drowning my election sorrows last night.

I'm glad to see no "that's it; I'm getting the hell out of Dodge" comments. Every other website I've been on today is full of them.

The bright(er) side is,

1. although the city council is iffy, they're all new (well, most of them), and will want to make waves, which means standing up to willie.

2. there may be some truth to the rumor that Willie may not stay in office all 4 years. Supposedly that Le Chardonnay dinner between AC & Willie was about AC not running if Willie steps down in 2 years.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 6:11 pm

"that's it; I'm getting the hell out of Dodge"

After being one of those people when I lived and was miserable in Portland, I too am glad to not see it. I learned a painful lesson in that: If it ain't happening for you, look in the damn mirror. Herenton is depressing and ludicrous, but talk about shaking a hater off...fuck that dude, things get done there without his say-so.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 6:16 pm

so, who won?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 6:17 pm

if mr. crump don't like it, it ain't gonna happen here
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 6:19 pm

2. there may be some truth to the rumor that Willie may not stay in office all 4 years. Supposedly that Le Chardonnay dinner between AC & Willie was about AC running if Willie steps down in 2 years.

I like that rumor! How the hell did WREG get wind of that private discussion?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:03 pm

I don't. County government should remain a separate entity. Memphis got what it deserves for the 5th time in a row.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:38 pm

Um, pardon me, but why all this "Memphis gets what it deserves" chitter chatter? Total schadenfreunde; I don't get it, esp. on this board that is centered in Memphis. Goner Records would never be in fucking Bartlett.

Or Millington (hello Justin Timberlake!)

Just saying, all the nastiness is so annoying.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:43 pm

The first I heard of the abdication rumor was Jackson Baker bringing it up on the WMC digital cable feed. I think the way he put it was that "if these numbers stay the same," which I took to mean if Herenton is not able to get his approval numbers up in a couple of years he would step down and appoint AC. Sounds pretty fishy to me. What do the city and county charter say about what to do in case the Mayor's office is vacant between elections? Can the Mayor just appoint his successor? I've never heard of that happening outside of the Russian government. I'm all for consolodating city and county government, but are we to believe that Herenton will just arbitrarily dissolve the city government? That can't be legal.

Baker sure seemed convinced it was true, though.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 8:53 pm

Can the Mayor just appoint his successor? I've never heard of that happening outside of the Russian government. I'm all for consolodating city and county government, but are we to believe that Herenton will just arbitrarily dissolve the city government? That can't be legal.

Baker sure seemed convinced it was true, though.

I have no idea how it would work, but Jackson Baker knows his stuff usually, so there must be some way it can be done legally....

I wonder if it means they'll start making the moves to get the consolidation ball rolling asap, or if there's some other oddball thing in the city & county charters.

But speaking of mayors leaving....Atlantic City's mayor is awol - their city council is going to ask a judge to okay them appointing a replacement.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hfaZ9RNGiN3DAF7vzsioUAzkcX9QD8S37V1 80

nothing would surprise me these days.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 10:15 pm

I can't find the link anymore, but AC Wharton specifically addressed the rumor and said that there wasn't a deal made, and that the mayor can't appoint his successor.

Personally, I think all the people who left town for the suburbs can't criticize because they chose to give up their vote. In this case it was the equivalent to voting for herenton.

There was talk a while ago of the city dissolving its charter to consolidate with the city. Its something that would have to be voted on by all of Memphis. I'm all for it. Right now the cheapskates in the county aren't paying their fair share to keep the metro area headed in the right direction.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 10:17 pm

which of the candidates smoke ?
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 10:25 pm

Right now the cheapskates in the county aren't paying their fair share to keep the metro area headed in the right direction.

No joke. I also think we should have tolls from Mississippi and Arkansas into Memphis.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 11:10 pm | Edited by: tigergreen

Right now the cheapskates in the county aren't paying their fair share to keep the metro area headed in the right direction.

No joke. I also think we should have tolls from Mississippi and Arkansas into Memphis.

I'm all for that....part of the problem is, the people who get fed up & move to the 'burbs seem to forget that 'as the city goes, so goes the entire metro area.'

crime and all the other problems make their way out to where all these people have moved, and then what do they do? move further out.

some life - you spend all of it running away, where if they had stayed & fought for their city, memphis could already be in the process of turning around.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 11:13 pm

Um, pardon me, but why all this "Memphis gets what it deserves" chitter chatter?

They chose for the "stick it to the man" candidate over two highly qualified and accomplished challengers. If the majority want more urban blight, more crime, and less business development, they've elected the right guy.

Memphis developing and improving benefits me, and I do live within the city limits. But I lack empathy for people that constantly do things that go against their best long-term best interests, particularly when their decision was fueled by anti-white bigotry.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 12:04 am

Exactly. What they need to understand if they aren't part of keeping Memphis healthy, then they are just devaluing their own property and livelihood, esp. if they work within city limits.

Shit, put a toll on Sam Cooper.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 5:03 am

I've been thinking this and the toll idea ever since I moved here.

I was outraged by how those horseshit motherfuckers out in Germantown trying to get their neighborhood declared a "quiet zone" so as to reroute the trains that have been running through there for 150 years.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 9:04 am

god herenton just infuriates me beyond all recognition. the audacity he has to call out "whitey" and basically turn this shit into some bullshit race issue when the real issue is he is a fucking terrible mayor. fuck that guy. he basically rallied his troops to vote for him because he instilled this fear of the return to the days of jim crow and real disenfranchisement in the brains of the black voting populace. it's a real sick move since some of the older black community that comes out and votes in droves still can remember the days of that, despite everything that herenton does really is not in their best interests. it's the same shit that bush does getting an older crowd to vote for him on the basis of being anti-gay marriage and anti-abortion, instilling a fear into them of the world going to hell while taking away any sort of health care for them and education for their grandkids. it's a distraction. don't pay any attention to what i'm really for, just look at this pile of bullshit that i'm feeding you instead. makes me goddamn ill.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 2:54 pm

When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost.

-H L Mencken
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 3:02 pm

I was outraged by how those horseshit motherfuckers out in Germantown trying to get their neighborhood declared a "quiet zone" so as to reroute the trains that have been running through there for 150 years.

OK, if I didn't know this was so East Shelby County, I'd think you were lying. Oh my god, they are pathetic. The dumbest thing Memphis ever did though, is not usurping all of Shelby County as a tax base. Let those cities do all their NIMBY bullshit, just gimme the money. I hope it isn't too late but if it is, we need to erect tolls all over the place. Oh and maybe a City of Memphis, teeny time-limited income tax that is excised on people not only who live in Memphis, but earn in Memphis. Just a little one to help out, but enough to have them wake the fuck up. Go ahead and blast me for that last one, but it worked in Portland.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 5:07 pm

elle...y does herenton bother u so much...he doesnt smoke .
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 6:03 pm

They aren't trying to reroute the trains in Germantown.
They are trying to cut down on the horns blasting in the wee hours in Collierville.

Collierville resident petitions to silence blare of whistles from passing trains
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 11:01 pm

i just can't stop thinking about it. did anyone else's polls lack a chumney person on election day? i vote at rozelle elementary.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 11:04 pm

That is pretty bizarre to not have someone repping in an mayoral election. KG, don't worry, we'll be there soon enough and we can focus on the true meaningful things such as tile color selection, painting my kitchen and the farmers market. Chin up lil camper.
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 6:42 pm

mannnn about 9 minutes into his acceptance speech, Herenton goes Hollywood and delivers some of the funniest shit I've ever heard out of a coke heads mouth. I haven't laughed that hard in a lonnnnnng time.
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 8:21 pm

Hooray for wild willie!
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 6:19 pm

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 6:52 pm

Officials plan to lessen train noise

I hope they make BNSF foot the bill for the rennovations. They got all that fucking land for free, it's time they start paying for something.
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 8:10 pm | Edited by: Wire

BNSF would make the grade-crossing improvements needed for the city to petition the Federal Railroad Administration to declare them part of a quiet zone.

I'm just hoping that my intersection is on the list. Nothing like the ear-shattering sound of a train whistle warning the non-existent traffic. I think the flashing red lights and crossing barriers ought to be enough, at least at night.

Yes, I knew there was a train crossing when I bought the house. But if an improvement can be made, I'm all for it.
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 8:54 pm

We're about 2 blocks from the Southern Rd. line. Doesn't bother me at all. In N.O. we were about 50' from the RR line.

Agreed though. It will only improve our real estate values.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®