Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Anybody have video of old City Council meeting re: The Pyramid
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 2:58 am

I hear there is video of a pre-Pyramid era Memphis City Council meeting where one person (a Council member perhaps) gives a well-reasoned speech regarding some of the biggest reasons that the Pyramid, if built as planned, would be an expensive failure. Then a representative from the parties pushing for the Pyramid gets up to make a speech but instead of a making a speech, "Walk Like an Egyptian" starts to play, female dancers in ancient Egyptian garb come out and do their thang, and the City Council erupts in applause.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 7:30 pm

Don't know bout that, but Katrina & the Waves played the Big Dig party. Talk about a tough act to follow. Even though it was rained out the 1st time, they were still walking on sunshine.
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 8:06 pm

Wo oh!
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 8:10 pm

would love to see the "walk like an egyptian" meeting.

media folks, any help? rochambeaux? beiffus? mary helen? mr mike matthews? anyone?
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 8:38 pm

would pay for that video.

i don't have time to search through all these, but there's a bunch of old memphis news clips here
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query= memphis%20news&search_sort=relevance&search_category=0&search=Search&v =&uploaded=&page=1

you could try to contact the newsretiree fella who's posted most of them.
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 12:26 pm | Edited by: BHa

I'm still looking for this video.
A video was definitely made of the meeting.
People claim to have viewed it at least as recently as 2006.
More people need to see it.
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 5:08 pm

For a city that had buses masked as Showboats for many a year in this same era, it would not surprise me if this meeting happened!
Posted: May 8, 2009 5:33 pm

I'm still searching to find out if this even really happened but a video of it would be an awfully nice way to find out.

I should probably just ask Vance or something.
Posted: May 8, 2009 10:59 pm

I remember hearing about that. Ha!
Posted: May 11, 2009 10:36 am

I remember those showboat buses with the stairs that went up top in the back. I also remember they just barely fit under the train bridges.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®