Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / dont go to Firestone on Park and Mt. Moriah
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:02 pm

took my car in for an oil change and it was overheating, so I asked them to look into that. They came back with that I need a new radiator fan and fan relay...seems plausible. They wrote up the estimate to fix this and it came to over $600 dollars for parts and labor. The fan relay they said was a $150 part, the fan a $250 part and it would take 3 hours of labor at $75 an hour. Well, I said "no thanks" and they went on and on about how this neeed to be done now, that I could ruin the engine, yada yada yada. Anyway, I got the relay from an auto parts store for $30 and a fan for $150. Found a mechanic(Gary over at White Station Muffler) who put the relay in for me, and guess what, that solved the problem. The fan worked fine. I gave him $80 for the job which took a little over an hour. I returned the fan. So, for $110 I fixed a problem that they said would cost over $600. Fucking rip off artists in the extreme.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 6:19 pm

the goodyear on that same corner is great
as is the autozone in the same block
i don't like firestone on principle
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 12:14 am

what about the kid rockin' the little caesar's sign?
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 12:22 am

what about the kid rockin' the little caesar's sign?

he's back! I guess they didnt make him go out there when it was 140 degrees, but he is back in all his glory with his new Joe Strummer "Combat Rock" haricut (shaved on the sides with a long mohawky thing on top)
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 12:51 am

yes!
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 6:18 am

I'm glad that someone started this thread. Avoid Sears, Firestone, and Goodyear!!! Though I've never had too much of a problem at Direct, they could fuck you as well. I read this impulse airport bookstore purchase, The Cheating Culture, on a long flight once. I'll get to that in a sec. Personally, I've had Goodyear (Park and White Station) and Firestone (Highland and Poplar) try to fuck me. I caught them before any work was done, and left. They will totally ring up a grocery list of problems with your car, and they'll use that time-honored line, "I wouldn't even drive this car home right now" or "You've probably only got a few days left on that (insert part in question)" - These are ALWAYS lies. These chains used to be fairly honest, and it was the shade tree that you had to worry about. Tables have turned. WAAAY...back in the day, the mechanics were paid hourly and got a little bonus based on turnaround. Then, back in the day, the mechanics had a bonus system based on the amount of cars turned around and degree of money made during their shifts, but still made hourly. Now, the mechanics make a paltry hourly wage and it's mandatory to turn around a certain number of jobs and pull a certain amount of money in order for them to keep their jobs, plus there still is some kind of bonus program...sort of similar to a car lot situation. Naturally, this breeds an environment of deceit and cheating. I took my Volvo to the GoodYear on Park, then to the Swedish Solution. The former made a grocery list of VITAL problems with the car, whereas SS called bullshit on over half of the list, and showed me physical examples
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Gateway Tire on Poplar at (or near) Holmes is terrible too. They wanted $300 for a repair because "that's what the book says" and "we go by standard rates". I took it to the Shell station at Poplar and Perkins who laughed and fixed it for $100. All my non-Volvo or non-warranty repairs will go to that Shell now.

Swedish Solution is really, really good but I've paid them enough to feed those cats for 1000 years or so. They take care of me though.
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 3:36 pm

I've been doing business with Fox Plaza Tire and Auto off of Mt Moriah for over twenty years....very honest...a little pricey but they won't sell you bullshit.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®