Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / My house just almost burned down!
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 1:06 am
Well, not really, but it's filled with smoke!
GET A SMOKE DETECTOR!!! It saved us!!

No kidding. Jeremy and John just put the new A/C in upstairs, but had to plug it up rigged because the old plug was "old school". The thing they plugged it into also had Alex's old (very old) stained glass torch attached to it, and it was sitting on top of a box of glass and such. After about an hour we hear this BEEP BEEP BEEP and traced it to the upstairs room (TK and the Driver, you know what I'm talking about) and it was FILLED with smoke. The damned glass torch was on, and it caught the box on fire! The downstairs filled up too.

And all our shit, too.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 1:28 am
I am so glad you are safe. Thanks for reminding me to get the new 9V for ours...I get so paranoid.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 2:13 am
I just changed the one upstairs (where the fire started) in May. Before that it had been like five years.
Yeah, thanks, I'm glad we're safe too. Talk about paranoid, I mean, what if we'd gone out to dinner to celebrate the new A/C???
I REALLY do not need the house burning down now. I might take it as a sign and jump in the river!
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 7:43 am
actually, i was thinking when you were telling me about it that you need to find an electrician to re-wire your house.... i remember looking for a grounded outlet last year....

anyhoo... i'm glad you're safe.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 1:02 pm
Geez Alisa! Glad you're okay!
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 1:51 pm
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 9:39 pm | Edited by: the 1 and only
you can replace a two-prong outlet with a GFCI recepticle and it will provide a three prong outlet as well as ground fault protection.

it is a quick fix and is building code friendly.

table lamps, etc. can still use two-prongs.

just make sure the power is off on the circuit before you do it!!!

@ 12 bucks and 10 minutes with a srcew driver.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 10:17 pm
Well, I guess it's a little late but NEVER plug anything else into the same outlet as the AC is plugged into. It can't handle it. Overloading outlets is one of the most common causes of house fires. ( Keep your dryer exhaust cleaned out too) Please don't tell me y'all bent the ground prong out of the way or broke it off on the plug.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 10:51 pm
No, no. The AC plug is the kind that my kid called "old school". It's got some little extra plug lines in it. It's not just the regular three pronger, but it is a three pronger. The AC wasn't what started the fire. They plugged the AC cord into a 3 to 2, and then plugged the 2 into this reostat kind of thing (why they just didn't plug it into the outlet I don't know) that was plugged into the outlet and has two or three outlets on it, and turns on and off with a punch type knob. I don't think it's a real reostat...just had an on/off "knob". Alex's stained glass soldering tool was also plugged in that thing, and it does not have an on/off switch...like a glue gun you just plug it in and it's on.

This whole contraption was on top of a box of stained glass and glass oil. The soldering tool is what caught the box on fire. I should have checked the whole plug in process, but I was so happy to get an AC up there finally, and I was in the middle of cooking dinner. It burned down a side of the box, melted and burned the plastic container that the oil was in, and was starting to shoot little flames. The upstairs is the only room in my house that is carpeted. I swear, three more minutes and we woulda been in deep shit.

And, TK, those plugs should be grounded. The room was put in less than ten years ago, with all new wiring up there.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

  Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®