Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Cooper/Young Fest - Booth A120
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 4:44 pm

I'm sharing a booth this year with my woodworking friend. We're in A120 - which appears to be right outside Tsunami. STOP BY and see the new me, my stuff, and Cheryl's stuff too!

Anybody else have a booth?
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 4:47 pm | Edited by: eric o

We got one!

We're sharing space with the Midtown Soccer Club, so come over to see some ad execs in soccer shorts. Right in front of the store.

Andria's knitting circle's got something or other- very crafty!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Andria's knitting circle's got something or other- very crafty!

i think they are in front of celtic or so
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 4:56 pm

I cannot wait...the weather looks like it's gonna be PERFECT
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 6:12 pm

My girlfriend has one she's sharing with Lightyear Vintage in front of their shop. Here's a link to her boutique to see what kind of stuff she's selling (jewelry, paintings, stuffed dolls, etc.) I'll be the guy next to her getting drunk.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 6:30 pm

Man....Andrias mom used to make the coolest dead frog art Ive ever seen. She would take daed dried up frogs and then put them in frames with painted backgrounds. Some genius shit for sure. Any more of those Andria??
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 7:01 pm

very crafty!
it's jeannie saltmarsh, alicja trout, amie plumley, bonnie lau, lori mcstay, and me! we're called craft redux, and our booth is right in front of light years/2 chicks and a broom.

Andrias mom used to make the coolest dead frog art Ive ever seen.
golly, colin - can't believe you remember that! dave dunlap has a betty lisle original... a few other folks too. she hasn't done it in awhile, but we still talk about it!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 7:42 pm

Betty Lisle is a great artist. The best part about your mom's pieces is how morbid they were - ie dead frogs - but positioned in these lovely landscapes, done by one of the most chipper sweet people you'd ever want to meet. Your mom is a genius.

Alisa - I took a sculpture class w/ Chery years ago. She's amazing.

I'll be in the Glenview Neighborhood Association booth. I'll be easy to find b/c it will be me w/ five or six black women over 65.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 7:44 pm

so come over to see some ad execs in soccer shorts. Right in front of the store. ....as well as some rockin record label/record store owners, english as a foreign language teachers, students, computer geeks and appraisers. New just in Midtown Soccer Club t-shirts for sale support the local lads.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 7:47 pm

i'll be running around on skates with the roller derby ladies passing out championship bout flyers! we're set up in front of tear it up, sharing a booth with them.
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 7:54 pm

Alisa - I took a sculpture class w/ Chery years ago. She's amazing.

She sure is! In many, many ways. Among other things, she makes these beautiful sushi sets that are really reasonably priced. I've given one to every single person I know that has gotten married in the last coupla years.

Andria, I'd love to see your mom's frog art. It sounds wonderfully disgusting.
And, I want to learn to knit!

I'm glad to hear so many of y'all will be there. Yeehaw! Party!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 8:36 pm | Edited by: andria

Betty Lisle is a great artist.
awww, thanks Lemissa!
say, do you want to work in the art dept on that matt dillon movie? i interviewed today but doubt I'm gonna do it...

wonderfully disgusting
ohh, it is... the first time she showed me some stuff was after i'd already moved out, and i went home to do laundry/eat dinner... she showed me all these flattened frogs she'd put into various scenes ("has anyone seen daddy" featured a squished frog thrust into a goldsmith's ad, as if he was sitting on the couch watching the game), and showed me all these other frogs she painted as if they were patchwork quilts, and then when i went to wash my hands, she said "oh, no, i varnished em..." a few months later, she had a show at marshall arts and sold a ton...

I want to learn to knit!
false rumor - none of us are knitting.

glad to hear so many of y'all will be there.
i just had this silly vision of all of us in our booths, lined up down cooper, like a dozen little lucy's in the psychiatry booth...
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 9:19 pm

i just had this silly vision of all of us in our booths, lined up down cooper, like a dozen little lucy's in the psychiatry booth...

5 cents for advice!!!!
Posted: Sep 12, 2007 10:10 pm

Yeehaw! Party!

we're having our annual bash during the festival over here at bubba and justice's! third year threatens to be the biggest ever!! three kegs!! already 10 pounds of boudin (including alligator and crawfish boudin) already on the way!!! we have 42 shot glasses and at some point 42 of us our going to have to toss one back at the same time so come get schnockered with us!

858 South Cooper (Right next to Soul Fish)
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 1:08 am

Whooo!!! Three kegs! Jerry and I will be there early! PAR-TAY!!!
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 2:25 am

Go Vols!!!! Eat Gator
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 5:34 pm

nice faye!! i've got some special sausage for ya!
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 6:12 pm

Hey Now!
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 6:41 pm

Man....Andrias mom used to make the coolest dead frog art Ive ever seen.

wow, I did not know this. Andria, have you ever seen "Cane Toads" you can rent it for your mom at Black Lodge in documentaries, vhs only.

one of the best scenes is when they are showing their strong will to breed, and a toad is trying to fuck some road kill (pardon my french)
Posted: Sep 13, 2007 7:10 pm

lady, please!
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 8:42 am

5 cents for advice!!!!

and lo and behold, look at this:
http://gawker.com/news/advice/ask-tionna-live-299531.php

"Cane Toads"
thanks, alicja -- will rent it next time she comes to town -- but ironically, while she loves to make art from dead frogs, she's not a big frog/toad fan. she is perennially annoyed by her friends who buy her kitschy frog stuff! still, last time she was here, I made her watch scenes from grey gardens again and again, so I am sure she'll see cane toads as an improvement...
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 2:47 am

good to meet you alisa!
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 3:21 am

really, you too, dirtywhite...and en famille!

I can barely fucking move. I mean it. That is one long assed day!
And, the next time I hear techno I'm shooting to kill. GOOD GOD!!
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 2:14 pm

You can thank our buddy Stevan for that down at Lux!

Loved everybody's stuff. I'll get there earlier next year.

Cool to see people I hadn't seen in eons too.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 3:42 pm

sorry I didn't get to see your booth, Alisa -- only wandered around for about 5 minutes (that brief interlude when I saw you) -- bc it was so damn crowded, and I couldn't leave my stuff unattended. sales were pretty good! crowd watching was amazing, from the safety of our booth. Stevan's techno was godawful, as was trying to load out at the end of the day. but all in all, I had a blast, especially on just three hours of sleep!
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 5:07 pm

Yeah, good times, amazing weather!

Didn't get to see everything- Cooper south of Cafe Ole was basically deadlocked. Glad we couldn't hear the thumpa thumpa outta Lux all day, too. Yikes. And they were mad at us for having Louie play in the street after swimming out of Alabama after Katrina? Please.

Andria & Co's knitting booth had some amazing stuff- Jeannie's metal goodies are especially tough & stood out.

Thanks to everyone who came by to talk about helping out with Gonerfest or about the Midtown Soccer Team... co-ed is coming, I'm sure!
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 6:07 pm

I was in the middle of the battle of the techno! There was Lux, and then there
was the big apartment lawn party with dancers across the street from us! It went on from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. LOUD and, I mean it, it was like one of the circles of hell!! I did take a minute to go watch the dancing though, and that was pretty entertaining.

I only moved fifty feet in either direction of my booth all day. At one point I left to walk around and wound up just going right back to the booth, as it was so crowded! But yeah, crowd watching was incredible.

I had a good day...sold Memphis cards hand over fist, and saw a lot of people I hadn't seen in a long time too. It was indeed good times!
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 6:47 pm

there
was the big apartment lawn party with dancers across the street from us!

i was wonderin if the ecstacy they were on was any good
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 7:45 pm

At first, I thought the apartment party was actually at the Quaker church. Since the Quakers got their name from the ecstatic dancing at their early services, I thought "Cool! They're getting back to their roots!"

Turns out, it was just X-crazed Midtowners. But they sure were having a good time.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Andria & Co's knitting booth had some amazing stuff- Jeannie's metal goodies are especially tough & stood out.

Are y'all selling anything on etsy?
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 9:45 pm

i'm reading that as ebay?
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 10:04 pm

regarding jeannie's stuff, there's a few things in goner of there's stuff at the metal museum, i think she's got pictures on this computer somewhere that i could e-mail with prices
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 10:10 pm

good lord i'm tired today. floated all three kegs by 6:30 p.m., and cooked everything except four pieces of chicken. unbelievable amount of food! had to be like 60 or 70 pounds of meat! everybody was great, nothing missing and everybody having fun! unbelievable weather!!! the 42 shots was probably something in the area of 35 shots but it was still awesome!!!
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 10:12 pm

miss linda's was big enough to be considered 2, if that helps
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 12:48 am

etsy?
i'm reading that as ebay?

ETSY is a great site for homemade/arts/crafts items. I just discovered it from some bridal webshits and blah blah blahs. It's pretty bitchin.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 3:19 am

I dunno if any of us do Etsy, Lori might, but I think we are gonna have a pre-Christmas bazaar.

http://loribag.com/

It was a beautiful day.

Jeannie's metal fish sculptures did attract a lot of gawkers for us.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 3:53 am

fish cam
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 5:41 am

I had a good time, other than being burnt to a crisp.
Big thanks to the folks at Light Year's and 2 Chicks!

Here's some of the stuff that my girlfriend does, from the fest, on Etsy- http://www.shuusei.etsy.com
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 8:54 am

I dig them robots
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 8:11 pm

co-ed is coming, I'm sure!

ooooh! i wanna plaaay. i still gots ma cleats!
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 7:46 pm

miss linda's was big enough to be considered 2, if that helps

I don't remember a whole lot after that.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®