Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Anybody in Cooper Young want to start a neighborhood association...
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 3:29 am

...that doesn't want to ban the Barksdale Market from selling beer?

What a bunch of fucking assholes trying to close that guy down by lobbying the state to pull his permit. Jesus, if I wanted this horseshit I would have bought a house in Germantown.

Fucking racists want to close the dude down because they don't want "the clientèle" to stick him up. It should be his prerogative if he wants to put his neck on the line to sell beer -nobody is forcing their honky asses to stand in front of a gun and sell forties to scum bags.

I'd much rather have a beer store there than an abandoned building where people can smoke rock and hide out and mug my unsuspecting ass as I walk by with my baby and dog. Fuck the Cooper Young Association and the fucking Lamplighter.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 4:27 am

I feel your pain man, for the last year or so my neighborhood is riddled with a minority of loudmouth self righteous yuppies who think they own the city, speak for everybody, and can dictate what businesses can take root here. They are against anything "ghetto," i.e. anyplace that sells daiquiris, urban wear stores, etc. they've been targeting bars where black people hang out as "nuisances" while the equally obnoxious but whiter establishments get carte blanche. my favorite thing is their frequent suggestions of what businesses should be opening here; i.e. wine bars, coffee shops (of which there are already FIVE in a half abandoned neighborhood), and of course Trader Joe's. Hey you fucking retards! If there was a market for this bullshit, it would already be here. You live in a neighborhood riddled with hookers and drug dealers, you get daiquiri shops! Fucking deal with it.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 5:47 am

The ironic thing is that the beer store stocks more imports and microbrews than the fucking Mapco and Circle K combined.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 6:16 am

Maybe the Cooper Youngsters would back off if dude would just stop selling malt liquor. Maybe he could keep Olde English 800, you know, just the classy stuff.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 7:17 am

they wanted the last owner to stop selling quarts, last i paid attention to this thing.

I think he's gotta play their game but damn, it's prime location for a beer store.

"Not wanting the clientele to stick him up?" where does that come from?

they don't want drunk-o's wandering their streets, and that's understandable on some level.

Time release beer bottle caps? A cop or rent-a-cop outside? What would work?

I love your new neighborhood association. If you need another member, I'm sure "Vagina Friendly" Paul Cooper would help out. His neighbor is an ex-stage workers union head and he might be able to rally some troops. \

PLUS- Cooper-Young Fest is coming up- get some brochures together and you can hand them out at our table!
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 7:23 am

PLUS- Cooper-Young Fest is coming up- get some brochures together and you can hand them out at our table!

I don't live in that area; some of us up-towner, New Spain types embrace the diversity of malt liquors to be found at un-gentrified "Olde-Ale-Merchants-And-Questionable-Gas-Shoppes".

I'll totally help with the design and wording of the CYF handbills, though. Just to stir up the locals.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 3:11 pm | Edited by: jen

Fucking racists want to close the dude down because they don't want "the client�le" to stick him up. It should be his prerogative if he wants to put his neck on the line to sell beer -nobody is forcing their honky asses to stand in front of a gun and sell forties to scum bags.

i fail to see how revoking the store's beer permit would prevent the owner from getting "stuck up," and even so, if somebody wants your cash drawer they're going to take it. i've seldom heard "this is a stick up, give me all your olde english" and if i were a store owner, i'd probably take them up on that deal.

so stupid. where do these twits live, the pie factory condos? (oh wait, nobody lives in those)
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 3:24 am

the pie factory condos?

That's where the creative class lives!
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 3:57 am

Posted: Sep 9, 2007 4:56 am

Sorry about that mis-post.

Emily Landry's added voice to this already ridiculous issue is incomprehensible to my mind (Lamplighter, September 2007 edition). Her fear of bringing in customers to the store from outside the neighborhood is ludicrous. That's what all entrepreneurs want to do and must do to survive. My God, what if someone who lived south of Central dared to shop at Schnucks on Union. We all know that only those who live in Central Gardens should be allowed to shop at Schnucks. Maybe a few Evergreeners, too, so long as they aren't past North Parkway.

Every, and I mean EVERY store, restaurant, or office in the Cooper-Young District has to put up with it's share of n'er do wells, con-artists, beggers, and crackpots daily. And lots of us have white tablecloths on our pretty tables outside our restaurants--but the n'er do wells, con-artists, beggers, and crackpots still wander along the revered "Restaurant Row."

Should we shut down Tsunami because a guy wearing a football helmet and rolling a full shopping cart full of his worldly possessions sits down at one of their outdoor tables? Should we reconsider Square Foods being in the neighborhood because they have tatooed hippy-freaks consorting with Republicans--sometimes even in front of the store where the rest of the world can see?

NO. We allow businesses to open and conduct their legal business. We allow them due diligence and give them time to prove themselves. We allow them the opportunity to serve a community.

Since Christy left the helm at the 8 til Late, the new owners have made many improvements. The windows have been rid of the clutter and the lighting within the store is much brighter. Give this place a chance, Ms. Emily Landry, by actually shopping there. Community support and input is the best way to help a Market grow.
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 10:42 pm

dont they have crack pipes for sale on the front counter?
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 10:43 pm

and switchblades and brass knuckles under that glass counter when you first walk in?
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 11:47 pm

dont they have crack pipes for sale on the front counter?
and switchblades and brass knuckles under that glass counter when you first walk in?
if this is the case, i guess the cya is hoping to stop the store from selling beer, so they can focus more on their crack pipe and brass knuckles selection.
now it all makes sense.
o.b.a.b.-i hope you will send what you just wrote to the editor of the lamplighter. it was well-stated, and the september issue was the third in a row that represented people opposed to the market. i haven't noticed anything in the lamplighter that challenges the views of emily landry and co. yet.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 3:27 am

are they opposed to midtown market too or just this other place??
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 5:19 pm

boycott this store

BUT PLEASE BUY ALL YOUR SMOKING ACCESSORIES AT WIZZARDS!!!!
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 5:57 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Jesus, if I wanted this horseshit I would have bought a house in Germantown.

You can buy forties and malt liquor all over G' town. That area has been gentrifying for over a decade, so this is no shock. The cappuccino crowd is the price you usually pay for urban renewal.

Zoning him out is a wuss way to go about handling the homeless bums, but businesses have a responsibility to prevent becoming a nuisance. Memphis police need to start enforcing loitering ordinances.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 6:36 pm

Zoning him out is a wuss way to go about handling the homeless bums,

I don't see homeless bums as having ever been "the problem" with this store. "The problem" appears to be the people who would buy a 40 or a tallboy on the way home from work because they don't want to pony up 9 bucks for a six pack. It's classist and pretty much racist.

What I had initially thought to be "the problem" was the crime that centered around the store -stick ups of the employees and neighborhood people. This doesn't appear to be the real issue to the boycotters (fuck you taterhead), which seems merely to be an aesthetic one: people who buy cheap beer are unattractive.

are they opposed to midtown market too or just this other place??

Just "this place". Nobody gives a shit about the fucking Citgo you can see from my front door where you can witness crackdeals in the parking lot and the management has refused to assist patrons who were robbed or carjacked on the property.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 7:33 pm

my post was a joke, SAMBEAUX, that had more to do the ironic Wizards ad in the Lamplighter that was calling for the boycott. I couldn't care less whether they sell beer or malt liquor.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 10:16 pm

Ahhhh, I get the joke now.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:06 pm

the place closes at 8 anyways, who cares. I actually used to buy the their choreboy/glass rose/lighter combo pack.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:08 pm

i used to buy crack in the library bathroom when it was on peabody. right next to the police precinct.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:19 pm

years ago, I got evicted from my place on n willett for getting a dog (r.i.p., deluxe model), and I ended up subleasing a dumpy duplex two doors down from the 8 til late or whatever it's called, at nelson just west of barksdale -- same store, right?

the other side of my duplex was broken into once, and there was a LOT of foot traffic coming from west of mclean, which is what probably has the CY residents in a tizzy. but trying, via banning beer sales, building gates, or whatever, to ban the riff-raff from your community ain't the answer.

what is? re-investing in the "other side of the tracks" could be a solution, as long as it doesn't ALWAYS equate moving those people somewhere else and gentrifying that block for the upscale folks.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®