Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Music royalty revenues at an all time high?
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 2:43 pm

This blurb from the Nashville Business Journal:

Songwriters, composers and copyright owners can expect a bump in their royalty payments this year as the two largest performance rights organizations both recorded record revenues.

Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI), which collects and distributes royalty payments, announced this week that both its revenue and royalty distributions are at an all time high for the fiscal year ended June 30. The company had revenues of $839 million and it will pay more than $732 million to its members, which is an 8 percent increase over the previous year.

Can one of you music types help me with that? I thought it was doom and gloom and pain and agony for paid-for music these days?
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:57 pm

A quick guess? Music being used more in TV shows and movies.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 5:25 pm

and ringtones and downloads like that
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 5:56 pm

It would be instructive to see a breakdown of the $ paid out.
I bet it's 75% going to 5% of the members. Or something like that.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 6:03 pm

bmi made an across the board deal a few years ago guarranteeing a 9% increase each year from radio so their numbers are not surprising...it pays back out to songwriters and publishers strictly on the activity of those songwriters and publishers so as far as a percentage breakdown i would guess it would be much higher than 75/25.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 8:04 pm

also...as far as the doom and gloom of the music industry, no doubt piracy/file sharing etc has cut into record sales.however, bmi[as are ascap and sesac] are performance rights societies.they only collect revenue from radio, television, venues etc.their income stream would not be affected and if anything would go up slightly with the new technology...licensing internet radio for example.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 8:34 pm

Ahh. That makes sense, GHSONG. i'm dense.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®