Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / SILVER APPLES at Printer's Alley Tonite!!
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:38 am | Edited by: Daniel Clodfelter

Silver Apples @ 11:30, the Moon Upstairs and Red Hearts

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/dbclodfelter/09-06-07.jpg
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 6:51 am

i seriously missed the silver apples tonight? Fug.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:58 pm

Worst promotion...ever...
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 4:13 pm

Really pretty stunning...wha happen?
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 4:32 pm

um, waht?
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 7:04 pm

I played a little tour with the Silver Apples back in '97 and it was so disappointing because Simeon didnt have his rig anymore, he was doing it all of his stuff on Casio, cheapshit keyboards, which in theory sounds cool but the novelty wore off after about 10 minutes and then it got depressing....his he still playing keyboards or has he assembled another rig?...I didnt want to witness what I witnessed 10 years ago.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 9:15 pm

so, it really happened, uh, sort of. actually, it didn't happen, but it really didn't happen.

less than 10 people showed up... apparently Simeon, who was driving himself, got there at 9 and set up his whole rig, but, according to his tour manager who was travelling separately with some prog/psych jam band, he waited for an hour and was so discouraged when no one was there by 10 that he packed all his stuff up and left. When me, bennett, alex and megan got there around 11, there was a brief buzz among the 2 or 3 other people there for the show that he would still play if we called everyone we knew to get more people there in the next 10 minutes, but then it turned out he was already half way to kentucky.

as his tour manager explained it, they had originally asked to jump on the bill last night at the hi-tone with Jucifer, but thought they could make more money setting up their own show elsewhere, so they booked it at murphy's. Then, earlier this week, the Red Hearts contacted them and invited them to join the show they'd set up for themselves at Printer's Alley.

So...Simeon left early because he had heard somehow that it was supposed to start at 9, and both of the bands that played were surprised there was no promotion. Maybe they expected Printer's Alley to promote it? The bartender who was taking cover tried to charge me twice because she couldn't remember me paying, and failed to let anyone else who came know that the silver apples had cancelled even when the tour manager asked her to, probably because it simply never got through to her that the silver apples were any more important than any other band booked there all month. what horrible, frustrating irony.

oh well, I never at any point really thought I was going to see silver apples at printer's alley last night. The Red Hearts showed us pictures they took with Simeon and of his rig which seems to have improved drastically since the '97 show described above. The tour manager felt bad and gave pretty nice books to everyone who came, and wants to set something up in late september or early october with actual promotion... unofficial Goner Fest day 6?
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 9:31 pm

That's too bad it didn't happen. But still, it ain't the Apples without Danny Taylor. Again, Memphis' small intrest in classic underground music let's another one through the cracks.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 9:41 pm

That's too bad it didn't happen. But still, it ain't the Apples without Danny Taylor. Again, Memphis' small intrest in classic underground music let's another one through the cracks.

Judging by what I've read above, that might be an oversimplification. Looks like there were several factors involved.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 9:49 pm

i really thought it would be cool if they played here with jucifer but, like will said, they thought they'd make more $ doing their own show. maybe next time...
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 10:06 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

We were told by the bartender when we got there that they had canceled - Dale and Brandon did their best to call everyone they knew to get down there and we rallied up about 20 people total and we were told there was still hope that he would come back.

I ended up talking to the guy from The Red Hearts outside for a while and he asked me where they should have played. He said they tried to contact Murphy's but were told there was no sound person. They were from LA on their way to play Next Big Nashville.

Again, Memphis' small interest in classic underground music let's another one through the cracks.

I don't think this was really the case - it was just general lack of communication between the bands, the venue and the tour manager.

The tour manager chick did give us pretty cool http://www.penny-ante.net/ books just for showing up.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 10:08 pm

oh yeah, we left before the second band played cause the venue is jst not built to for bands to play in and it was way too loud.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 10:28 pm

lack of communication between the bands, the venue and the tour manager.
And enough people knowing who the Silver Apples were. It would have been really sad to go over to Simeon and say..."Sorry, no one is here but there are probablly under 30 people in Memphis that know who you are." All I meant by my above statement was...even with proper promotion, there might have been the same turnout. It's really hard to get people around here to go see bands they have never heard of. Even when they have a pretty big name for themselves in history. I drove myself crazy trying to get folks to go to the Ponderosa Stomp. Most people's response were "I'm not paying $40 to go see a bunch of bands I've never heard of." That's sad. Especially with a line-up like they had here in Memphis. I didn't see that many local folks there. Mainly just other people from around the world. Again, Memphis' small interest in classic underground music...
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 10:58 pm

Again, this (people not checking out little-known bands) happens everywhere. Don't beat yourself up, Memphis. Sure, you'd have a bigger crowd in the bigger cities or perhaps in the mid-sized cities on a weekend or if it was promoted just a bit more for an entire week or two of people making it "the place to be." I have been stunned at the low turnout for "legends" everywhere from SF to Chicago.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 11:26 pm

Nobodys getting beat up, were just missing out on really good shows. Thinking more of these small clubs that promise guarantees to these bands and don't even make half. It's too much of a risk and I don't blame anybody for not booking these acts. I know it happens everywhere but it's just frustrating. If you look at tour schedules, most bands go from Little Rock to Oxford and skip Memphis all together. It's not the size of the city, it's the amount of people with intrest within the city. Let's go back to the Blowfly show. It had great promotion and a full page write up in the Memphis Flyer. Maybe 10 people attended. They contacted me recently about coming back and they wanted an even bigger guarntee than before cause now they play to 2000+ venues all over the country. Maybe next time Blowfly.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 11:29 pm

Eric just informed me that we they played with the Silver Apples in Denton,TX...the show was sold out. Denton,TX?
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 11:44 pm

Denton's got a great music scene. North Texas has a top-rated music program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicians_from_Denton%2C_Texas
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 11:46 pm

Memphis had a great music scene.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 11:54 pm

Memphis had a great music scene.

Now we have a commission. And a foundation. And single digit attendance at shows (Blowfly, NOMO, Silver Apples, list goes on for days). Yay, Memphis.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 12:10 am

Gee Wiz....what happenned? I remember when shows would be PACKED. Even my old crappy band would get a 100 people to come out.....Everytime I'm at Gonerfest the turnout seems really good. Thats a shame about Blowfly. I wanted to see him here in NYC but it was really expensive and I think it sold out....10 people? Are you serious? Thats so weird..
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 12:13 am

I wouldnt go see the fucking Beatles at Printers Alley!! Bad bad idea to begin with. That shits embarassing man..dont expect to see any of those bands come thru anytime soon.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 12:21 am

well, hopefully next time, there will be a little bit more of a buzz about the show. i was kind of weirded out that they were playing at printer's alley of all places. thought they'd probably at the very least be at the hi tone so i wasn't sure if it was THE silver apples or just another band named that. i was curious enough to come out, but i ended up having an ear infection and just had to pass on the whole thing, real silver apples or not. i really hope that next time that they come through there will be more people to come out.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 12:22 am

It's not the size of the city, it's the amount of people with intrest within the city.

This is true, but I suppose what I was saying is this can happen even within cities with so-called well-informed or interested music fans. And while embarrassing and sad, you can still have fun at these sparsely attended shows...whatever, I definitely don't have all the answers.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 12:35 am

I'm not ashamed to say I have no fucking clue who this band is.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 12:40 am

I'm not ashamed to say I have no fucking clue who this band is.

And you shouldn't.
you can still have fun at these sparsely attended shows
I always do but it's at the club owners expense.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 1:02 am

I remember that Blowfly show. There were, maybe, 15 people there. After a full page story in the Flyer that week. Even if promoted properly, The Silver Apples gig would've probably turned out just the same. And I guess even if I had decided to go last night Simeon would've left already.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 1:16 am

I've never heard of this band either.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 1:29 am

i was there (at blowfly!)

i ditched our dj night at the buc to go! was not gonna miss that.

they were GREAT.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 6:36 am

Silver Apples @ 11:30, the Moon Upstairs and Red Hearts

This was posted at 9:38 PM the night of the show. Is Printer's even open before 10Pm? How come dude is pissed no one's there at 10, when the last minute announcement says the show starts at 11:30? If I tell you to meet me at 11:30 and then I show up an two and half hours early, wait around for hour, leave, and then call you asshole for not showing up, you'd think I was flake.

I find it surprising that a poorly promoted and ill attended show, at a venue that I'd say a lot people probably don't even yet know has bands, would be taken to be somehow indicative of our supposedly bastard music scene.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 9:02 am

I find it surprising that a poorly promoted and ill attended show, at a venue that I\'d say a lot people probably don\'t even yet know has bands, would be taken to be somehow indicative of our supposedly bastard music scene.

I agree
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 6:11 pm

Book him again and see what happens. Promotion does not help the unkowns around here. We still book the Spin Doctors in this town for Pete's sake.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 6:16 pm

A certain sort of promotion certainly helps...were you around Memphis for The Low Down Dirty D.A.W.G.S. show? I am not trying to argue as I do know what you mean, I just get a little frustrated with the self-defeatism endemic to the place.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 6:38 pm

It'a a righty right night now! OOOOOOOOOOOOH!
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 7:01 pm

I was there and that was years ago. Times have changed. When Baristers was still around, people still went to see shows by unkowns. Throw a local band on the bill and you had a good turnout. The last 7 years has been straight down hill. When these acts come and want $800 dollar guarantees and 50 people (which is an amazing turnout considering the fact) show up, it still doesn't pay the bill. I'm not arguing either, just stating some facts. Go talk to some of these club owners around here.
With that in mind... who would go see Andre Williams? We need about 200 people to make the guarantee.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 7:05 pm

i really hate when people shit talk this city. not all shows are going to have a lot of people. especially during the week. and especially when there is little promotion. just sayin'.

we do have a considerable number of people who go out to shows. people who would come out to shows if they were told about them and if they were sure that this was the real silver apples and if maybe it was somewhere else that does a considerable amount of their own promoting and was a more known venue. some people look on the back of the flyer at what the hi tone has simply because they are a KNOWN music venue.

and i'm sure the spin doctors probably have played cities other than memphis this year. i'm way too lazy to go look it up though.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 7:41 pm

Some points (against my better judgment):

Andrew is 100% correct regarding Memphis' frequent apathy towards something like Blowfly or The Silver Apples. Granted, I was in bed when Dale called, and did not get out of bed to attend the show. Nor did I know anything about it prior to being called at 11:00pm (not that I'm THAT tuned-in). I saw the "Silver Apples" in '97; same tour that VR mentioned above, and I found it to be incredibly tedious. I did my best to throw together an informative Blowfly piece in the Flyer that didn't alienate those unfamiliar, that presented something that might seem entertaining/fascinating/historically-relevant, blah blah blah, but we all know what happened at that show. But I'm also the guy that mispelled "Parchment Farm" in a Blue Cheer feature, so whether or not my opinion benefits this discussion is up in the air. Truthfully, the second Silver Apples LP is the only one of the two (original ones) that blows me away. The first LP never really attached itself, though I have a great story about buying an original of LP #1 from Audiomania in the late-90's. Unbelievably, it was one of the only records in the place not absurdly overpriced (he didn't know what it was), so I got it for $10. Also, let's see a show of hands from every participant in this thread that had heard the Silver Apples three weeks ago. JK. Not really. Ok, JK. And I'm no great shakes at promoting a show, but yes, this one was poorly promoted. When Neu! and The United States of America play Printer's Alley next week, someone try to call me before 9pm.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 7:44 pm

I was too busy drinking beer and playing.
I win.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 7:48 pm

Holy shit, I just misspelled "misspelled." Check please!!
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 7:49 pm

And as for all this nonsense, it sounds more like there was a venue already offerred, but dude decided to try to go it alone in hopes of a bigger cut. By the end of the night, there were probably 35 people after Jucifer. Sounds like a poor business decision. Don't blame this on fans/non-fans/indecision/memphis. Some people hold artists too high.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 8:03 pm

I'm not allowed to post on this thread anymore, but yeah, I jumped the gun a little on that one....didn't properly read everything. Now that's some laziness! I still don't believe that the show would have had a decent turnout even if it was smoothly booked/played, or a turnout that would satisfy an artist such as this that has no idea what to expect in Memphis, especially considering that he draws decent crowds in some places. I love Memphis. It can surprise you. It can disappoint you.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 8:06 pm | Edited by: sherman

I gotta strongly disagree with Buck. This is the best time for live music in Memphis last 25 years! There are more options clubwise, better local bands, better promoters, etc. The only thing that hasn't changed is radio play, which has gotten much worse (no wlyx, no rock n roll on commercial radio--hell, even shitty old rock 103 used to play current bands in rotation)

When Buck was in his diapers, 5 or 10 people would go to the antenna to see bands like Rollins and the Screaming Trees. A big Oblivians show in '92 would have, maybe, 50 people there. Now, any half-ass garage band that shows up in town at least 50 people show up--esp. if it is a beer bust.

All the competition without increased radio play means that there are always gonna be shows that don't do well. (Blasters did 60 people on a Saturday night in the fall? That's crazier to me than a non-publicized show by a haphazard "cult" band at a "club" that was known for its crazy redneck clientele and confederate flags until about 10 minutes ago).

Until and unless commercial radio changes (probably not gonna happen) or if WEVL would actually have a set schedule of post-1970s music programs--say like 8-10 p.m. or 10 p.m.-midnight--every night instead of making cartographers figure out when the couple of new music shows are-- Memphis will continue to be a confounding market for promoters.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 9:01 pm

& I might add that 2008 should be the best year for live music in mid-town in a long while. 2 new live venues(500-3000 seat potentialities!), which should bring additional music fans to Memphis and mid-town. It will be tough competition, but great for music fans to have these extra options.

May the best music promoters win! (Somehow, I don't think the Printers Alley will come out on top if that is how they are promoting shows there...)
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 9:57 pm

OK, so maybe the L.D.D.D. was "years" ago, but many of the same people are still living in Memphis, enjoying music and...well, maybe we are not even arguing the same point anymore, but I had some great times at some way underwhelmingly/sparsely attended shows in that city and honestly, I can't think of a show I ever attended in Memphis that would qualify as an insanely packed house...unless Cheap Trick, Van Halen or Prince were on stage. Rick James had to force people to leave the risers and come down to the stage when I saw him in '83! The "Golden Circle" was barely seated; this is when Street Songs was crazy popular. That show was easily one of the craziest and best I ever saw.

When I think about it, I would have likely not showed up at a Silver Apples show anywhere on a weekday in 2007. Now if you created some time machine and some quaaludes, then we could talk.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 10:16 pm

I try to stay off the message boards but I guess I should weigh in on this...

Keep in mind that this applies to music genres that Memphians care about. Some music just doesn't have a scene here. Ska, Reggae, Noise/Experimental, and Jazz to name a few.

There are numerous factors that determine a show's success:

Day of the week:
Fridays and Saturdays obviously are the best nights but most breadwinning bands can get better pay in surrounding cities like St. Louis, Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville etc. There are 104 Fridays and Saturdays in a year. Less than 15 solid national acts (like Wanda Jackson, The Blasters, Garrison Starr, The Ponys) will play on a Friday or Saturday at the Hi Tone Cafe this year. Thursdays can also be perilous and Blowfly is a good example why. While BF got a great write up, it only had one day of circulation since the Flyer comes out on Wed.

Weather:
Most good/great shows won't suffer too much from this but lesser known bands can get killed by poor weather. Anyone on the fence regarding attending a show will usually stay home if there is precipitation.

Venue: It takes a good year or two before show going people feel comfortable with a venue. If it's not at The Hi Tone, Murphy's, The Bucc, The Daisy, or The Deli, people get skittish. Not to mention, if a band doesn't play the right venue, people won't go. The Subteens played the Gibson Lounge the other weekend with Piper DJ-ing. Based on what I was told, the show wasn't attended as well as it would've been if it were at the Hi Tone or the Deli.

Competition: A promoter can book a great show in Memphis 3 to 4 months out from the date and guarantee the talent a good payday (for Memphis anyway). Then, the day of the show, a couple of good drawing local bands decide to play for free somewhere that night. Then some scenester chick will throw a party that night. Then one of the record stores has an instore the afternoon of the show. This can kill a show. The Blasters are a good example of a show casualty caused by too much competition.

Change:
If a show changes venue or lineup, it almost never helps. It gives the appearance of instability. Examples: Voodoo Fest, Jucifer, Hulk Hogan vs. Jerry Lawler/Big Show.

Lack of press You need at least 2 weeks before show date to even have a chance at getting a blurb/photo and 3-4 weeks for an article.

Any one of these factors can hurt or kill your show.

Out of town attendance usually makes the difference on national acts.

I'll have to disagree with Shermrock to some extent.

There are more options clubwise

Lack of venues aren't the problem. Lack of promoters booking acts Goners/I wanna see are.

better local bands

Totally subjective. For every current local band you name, I can name a better one from 10-13 years ago. Then you'll say nuh-uh and I'll say yuh-huh, etc, etc.

Lastly, pretty much ANY live event, be it sports, music, theater, comedy, etc. is a financial losing proposition with the best hope being breaking even.

These days I only bring bands that my friends and/or I like. At least if I lose money, the cash is going to someone I respect.
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 3:34 am | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

I disagree about radio, Sherman. I'm not sure anyone who would go to a discerning club show listens to terrestrial radio anymore (cept maybe WEVL).
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 4:13 am

Awesome theory! You're the 1st person I have ever heard posit that radio play hurts live music attendance! That's so dumb I can't even argue with it! Hee+Haw!
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 9:35 pm

Not bad mouthing Memphis. This wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't love this town. I'm not talking about the current local band scene, how many people go out to support them, or how many venues we have either. Just talking about acts like...classic underground music.

There are more options clubwise, better local bands, better promoters, etc.
I never said there wasn't. Just saying there just aren't enough folks here that show much intrest in bands like the Silver Apples. In a town of 670,000 people, 50 of them just isn't enough to keep a steady stream of artists like these coming to town. Also, time is running out to see these classic 50's,60's, & 70's acts. I know weather, day of the week, your job, and promotion(spelled correctly or not) are MAJOR factors when it comes to shows like these but not competition. To many times have I seen shows like these unattended because another local band that is probablly going to be playing 2-3 more times that month, are playing the same night. I think sometimes folks like the comforting feeling of "that's where everyone is going to be tonight" rather than "damn, I might not ever get to see this band again."

we do have a considerable number of people who go out to shows. people who would come out to shows if they were told about them and if they were sure that this was the real silver apples and if maybe it was somewhere else that does a considerable amount of their own promoting and was a more known venue.
True, but it's not enough people. My whole point of discussion here. Just sayin, in the past, good promotion has but mainly hasn't always helped. It just seems like there was more support for shows like these 10 years ago(when I was out of my diapers), than there are today. What is it that Little Rock and Oxford are doing to get acts that we don't? Rich club owners that don't mind taking a blow?

As for the Apples, truthfully I might not have gone myself. I've heard pretty bad reviews from several reliable folks who have seen him elsewhere. I'm not a big fan of synthiziers or drum machines, so just seeing Simeon doesn't sound that appealing to me. It is cool that he invented parts of synths that are still used today. Has anyone ever seen a official "Simeon" synthizier? Yep, he had equipment named after him. The best part of the Apples for me was the drummer. The beats that guy was laying down in the late 60's where mind blowing! Still are! They were both in a band called the "Overland Stage Electric Band." Story goes, one night Simeon plugged in a oscillator and drummer Danny followed by playing crazy off beat rhythms with him. The 3 other guitar players left after that, just leaving Simeon and Danny together. The rest of the members went on to form the "Overland Stage Band" which I picked up their LP a few months back and it sounds like Blues Hammer. The duo pretty much invented "House" music. If your a fan of house, you should have been down at Printer's Alley bowing down to the almighty Simeon. I still would have encouraged folks to go see Simeon though if they enjoy the deep synth. I agree with Andy about the 2nd album. It's a way better listen and damn...dude plays banjo on those tunes! Kapp records was pretty bold for releasing those records when they did. Years ahead of their time. Those records didn't sell for shit upon their release. Kapp also got sued by Pan-Am for the cover of Contact. The Apples had a friend at the airline who let them on a plane for the album shot. Got good stories about finding those records around town also. Anyways, done here. If Simeon comes back, go see him. You may never get to see such a pioneer of modern electronic music ever again. Also, I think Overjoid would be a good opener. Roy looks like Simeon's long lost son anyways.
http://cfs1.tistory.com/upload_control/download.blog?fhandle=YmxvZzkyN jJAZnMxLnRpc3RvcnkuY29tOi9hdHRhY2gvMy8zMTguanBn
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 11:03 pm

When Baristers was still around, people still went to see shows by unkowns. Throw a local band on the bill and you had a good turnout.

It just seems like there was more support for shows like these 10 years ago

Buck, I'm afraid there may be some selective memory working here. Throw a local band on? Sure, if that band was the Oblivians, Impala or The Grifters, but those guys weren't always available. I stood behind the bar at Barrister's many a night watching some band tear it up to...noooobody.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 3:11 am

tuff fuckin' business.

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies.

Then again, some times I wouldn't trade it for the world...

If there was a magic answer, every one would be getting rich!
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Uh-oh.... I feel another problem being solved.....hang on.......I'VE GOT IT!

Take yer average normal music/ beer venue, not much cash comin in?

ADD STRIPPERS!

A. the bands will love it.

B. the audience will love it and continue to come back and pay.

C. The strippers get tips, the band gets paid, everybody gets drunk = AWESOME!

ANOTHER PROBLEM SOLVED BY DTRAIN!!!!!!!!!

(i want free admission for life when you open this . thanks!)
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 6:21 pm

Actually Printer's Alley might be installing a stripper pole for halloween. I really hope that they do.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 8:52 pm

ADD STRIPPERS!

Um, half of the people who go to shows in this town don't want to pay for anything more expensive than Pabst, and you think they're going to tip strippers? These are people that whine about the cover charge being more than 5 bucks for well-known, national acts, and they're going to be sticking 5's and 10's in g-strings? I can think of only one response to that, and that's HEE HAW.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 9:34 pm

They'll forget all about there whiny bitchin when they see the strippers. Thats the magic of it!
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 10:31 pm

half of the people who go to shows in this town don't want to pay for anything more expensive than Pabst, and you think they're going to tip strippers? These are people that whine about the cover charge being more than 5 bucks

Cheap cover, cheaper beers, means more lap dances for me.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 10:59 pm

speaking of strippers, i think they were going to try to have shows at downtown dolls at some point. that made me giggle.

it's hard to buy anything more expensive than a pabst when you drink 10+ of them in a night, almost every night. i can handle only one night of exprunsive drinkin' on this budget. i'd rather have 5 than just one.

and i'll gladly pay for a show when i have the money to get in. bands gotta get from point a to point b and they gotta eat.

Lastly, pretty much ANY live event, be it sports, music, theater, comedy, etc. is a financial losing proposition with the best hope being breaking even.

that's pretty much how it is with derby. we pretty much break even and even lose sometimes, despite having a 12 dollar ticket price. shit is expensive as hell to put on. hence why we have fundraisers the rest of the year in our off season so we can pay for practice time at the rink and pay to travel to out of town bouts in other cities and hopefully get another venue not so far away from town.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 11:05 pm

I bet if you ladies started takin it off at the shows, you'd have plenty for your 'derby'.

Right? Right!
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 11:39 pm

I bet if you ladies started takin it off at the shows, you'd have plenty for your 'derby'.

Right? Right!

No shit! Whats up with that, Elle?
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 3:22 am

RUH ROH...
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:23 am

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:42 am

what is downtown dolls?

i mean, i know it's supposed to be a strip club, but it's not, right?

could be dtrain's rock club minus nudity... not so good.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:00 am

It's a GREAT idea!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:18 am

oops, GREAT IDEA!
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 3:09 pm

Now for some irony...

Last Saturday, Doug Stanhope performed at Comedy TN to a SOLD OUT show!

I saw basically no promotion for it and yet there wasn't an empty seat in the place.

??????????????????
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 5:36 pm

Dude, I LOVE that guy. I was pissed I had to miss it, but I've seen him 3 times before and couldn't miss the show at the Bucc.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 6:25 pm

Now for some irony...

Last Saturday, Doug Stanhope performed at Comedy TN to a SOLD OUT show!

I saw basically no promotion for it and yet there wasn't an empty seat in the place.

??????????????????

He played a pretty packed show at Hi-Tone last year. A friend of mine went and said he was funny as usual, but some little chinaman that opened for him stole the show.
Posted: Sep 11, 2007 11:45 pm

I try to stay off the message boards but I guess I should weigh in on this...

Keep in mind that this applies to music genres that Memphians care about. Some music just doesn't have a scene here. Ska, Reggae, Noise/Experimental, and Jazz to name a few.

There are numerous factors that determine a show's success:

Day of the week: Fridays and Saturdays obviously are the best nights but most breadwinning bands can get better pay in surrounding cities like St. Louis, Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville etc. There are 104 Fridays and Saturdays in a year. Less than 15 solid national acts (like Wanda Jackson, The Blasters, Garrison Starr, The Ponys) will play on a Friday or Saturday at the Hi Tone Cafe this year. Thursdays can also be perilous and Blowfly is a good example why. While BF got a great write up, it only had one day of circulation since the Flyer comes out on Wed.

Weather: Most good/great shows won't suffer too much from this but lesser known bands can get killed by poor weather. Anyone on the fence regarding attending a show will usually stay home if there is precipitation.

Venue: It takes a good year or two before show going people feel comfortable with a venue. If it's not at The Hi Tone, Murphy's, The Bucc, The Daisy, or The Deli, people get skittish. Not to mention, if a band doesn't play the right venue, people won't go. The Subteens played the Gibson Lounge the other weekend with Piper DJ-ing. Based on what I was told, the show wasn't attended as well as it would've been if it were at the Hi Tone or the Deli.

Competition: A promoter can book a great show in Memphis 3 to 4 months out from the date and guarantee the talent a good payday (for Memphis anyway). Then, the day of the show, a couple of good drawing local bands decide to play for free somewhere that night. Then some scenester chick will throw a party that night. Then one of the record stores has an instore the afternoon of the show. This can kill a show. The Blasters are a good example of a show casualty caused by too much competition.

Change: If a show changes venue or lineup, it almost never helps. It gives the appearance of instability. Examples: Voodoo Fest, Jucifer, Hulk Hogan vs. Jerry Lawler/Big Show.

Lack of press You need at least 2 weeks before show date to even have a chance at getting a blurb/photo and 3-4 weeks for an article.

Any one of these factors can hurt or kill your show.

Out of town attendance usually makes the difference on national acts.

I'll have to disagree with Shermrock to some extent.

There are more options clubwise

Lack of venues aren't the problem. Lack of promoters booking acts Goners/I wanna see are.

better local bands

Totally subjective. For every current local band you name, I can name a better one from 10-13 years ago. Then you'll say nuh-uh and I'll say yuh-huh, etc, etc.

These days I only bring bands that my friends and/or I like. At least if I lose money, the cash is going to someone I respect.

thanx fur saving me the trouble of typing all this.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 11:18 pm

I can't read all of this, but I read a lot. Here's the real reason no one heard about the show.

My friend from the Moon Upstairs asked me about a month before to help them with a show. I'm not a booker, I can't spend all my time booking bands and arranging shows and postering and publicity, but I did give him contacts for pres for the Memphis Flyer, CA, and some personal e-mail addresses. I gave the guy Murphy's #, show was arranged once us, the locals agreed, then later we found out that ther would be no PA, we could not work out anything with the PA, no sound guy, I'd have to get a PA for them...They were willing to pay out of pocket for a PA, Mouserocket (who no one really comes to see anyways) was gonna open But Jucifer was down the street (would have said they should go to the Hi-Tone in the first place) and then there was the show already at Printer's, which has a PA, so Beth 2 weeks before offered to do the show there. Nothing got in the Printer's ad on the back of the Memphis Flyer, the tour manager never did press, no one sent posters, Mouserocket never booked ourselves at Printers since there were 3 bands already and I can't be in smoky places right now, Murphy's is all I can tolerate...and all I could do was post on myspace bulletins and hjer on the Goner board. Sorry if no one saw, it wasn't my show to book.

But all in all, it's lame if they didn't play. Why not play to 10 people and have them each tell 10 people that they missed something great. They shoulda played.

It's not MEMPHIS...it just was circumstance. There were posts, about it, , you just maybe didn't stay on your toes.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Posted: Sep 15, 2007 12:53 am

No offense, but I'm not going to even look at thread that's topic says something about the Red Hearts, because I don't know who the Red Hearts are. Now that I know who the Red Hearts are (via that thread), I wouldn't look at a thread with that topic because I don't care whether the Red Hearts are playing.
I'd be willing to bet a lot of people don't look at every single thread that announces some band they've never heard of is playing Printer's Alley.
That's why a thread announcing the Silver Apples in the topic should have been posted before 9:38 on the night of the show. It would have taken 1-2 minutes to do so, and that is far less time than it would take for someone like me to click on every single thread announcing some show I don't care about and read through each one to find out if some living legend had been added to the bill (whether Silver Apples suck now or not, still legendary).
If "staying on your toes" means scouring through every, single post on the Goner Board regardless of the topic line, then I'm never going to be on my toes and I'll warrant few others will either. I'm not saying it's your fault as it wasn't your show to promote, but I think blaming people because they don't read this entire board is pretty ridiculous.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 1:10 am

yeah, it is too bad. Point is there was no promotion done, yeah, we understand. duh.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 1:20 am

well... its danny from the red hearts. i know everyone is disappointed that the silver apples didnt play and they didnt know about it, but im just as disappointed. we were really excited to hear the news we were playing with the silver apples, but didnt have time to properly promote it since we didnt hear the news until the day before we left for tour. also we had nothing to do with getting them on the show, it was all between printer's alley and the management of silver apples, making us think they were gonna promote the show. im sorry for everyone who came out and were disappointed and for everyone who would have came out if it were better promoted. it should have been an awesome night, and honestly it was the greatest disappointment of our tour. im sure he will be back in memphis again and when i hear about it i will let you guys know whether or not we are playing.

also thanks to the dudes in the barbaras at the pop dungeon who put us up and made it so we didnt have to sleep in the van. sorry guys for the xanax fueled ramblings of one of our members (haha), no back neck tendons were ever cut.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 2:17 am

This place sounds really cool. Where's printer's alley? We haven't had any good rock clubs in Memphis in a long time. What a great break for the local music scene.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 3:34 am

Point is there was no promotion done, yeah, we understand. duh.

Don't "duh" me. Your previous post said:

There were posts, about it, , you just maybe didn't stay on your toes.

Apparently there was plenty of promotion for people who are "on their toes", right? And by "on their toes" you mean reading every single post on this message board regardless of topic? If your post didn't include this last sentence, I would have thought, "OK, it was a clusterfuck". Instead I thought, "Why is Alicja blaming the people who didn't read a thread who's title said nothing about the main attraction?"
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 3:46 am

in other news, red hearts single is good!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:19 am

Do they have a juke box in that place where the gambling machines used to be? I haven't been since Savvy's birthday party in '96. What a creepy place it was. Hard to believe it is/was in mid-town. Could easily have been there on the way to that freak show up in Millington where Stivers wanted to play.

"Hey, you wanna book our band? We couldn't get a gig at the Hi Tone, Young Ave. Deli, Murphy's, or the Bucc (or even Otherlands) that night. I'm sure there will be a huge crowd..."
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:21 am | Edited by: the 1 and only

Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:29 am | Edited by: Wire

He said they tried to contact Murphy's but were told there was no sound person.

There's some friction in the transition, but if all else fails, try calling

Nine zero one
Three two six
Nine five eight zero.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 9:46 pm

I want some water with my PA!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 10:20 pm

What a creepy place it was. Hard to believe it is/was in mid-town.

I remember Printer's Alley being a place hip Midtown weirdos (like my aunt) used to go in the '70's. I always used to look at it in the 80's when I was at Central as an option, but we never went in, even though it would have been a breeze back in those days.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 10:25 pm

First time I went in was with Tim Mccrarry and we were playin pool. We were the ONLY people there and then the bartender put his pistol on the bar for no reason. My cue to leave...
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 10:58 pm

I remember my 90's return to Memphis and it was like the words "cocaine" were married to the words "Printer's Alley".
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 10:59 pm

I went to see the Warble at Printer's last Saturday night. I didn't see any cocaine, or any pistols. It was a lot like a typical Warble show, only it was at Printer's Alley! The sound wasn't that bad eithier, though I don't remember anyone actually running the sound.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®