Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / My birthday dinner
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 2:33 am | Edited by: saispas

We are coming to Memphis for a whole 4-5 days (!!!) in January to celebrate the ol 40th bday of me. I want to have a nice dinner somewhere--my mom is going to come into town for that part of the 4 day celebration. Last time we came to town we had a good dinner at the Beauty Shop with FANTASTIC service by Alix, but would like to give someplace else a shot. Any suggestions?

We will be staying at my aunt's in Midtown so Midtown or Downtown is likely best, but not mandatory.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 2:55 am

Encore is my favorite today. Jose does some really good food for a reasonable price. Other standards downtown for more money than Encore are Stella, Felicia Suzanne and McEwans. All are good and have menus online.

In Midtown, Bari if you are in the mood for Southern Italy seafood.

La Tourelle is now an Italian place, but I haven't heard a review.

Circa is a new "hawt" spot downtown but has received mixed reviews. Frederic Koeppel gave it an average review. Has 65 responses on the food blog setting a new Memphis blog response record for blogs that aren't Thaddeus Matthews related.

I've heard good things about Interim out east (formerly Wallly Joe), but some service issues.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:14 am

Where is Shags cooking?

I have no idea what sort of food I want. Basically "good" is a start as things are a little bleak down here. My husband works at easily one of the best "fine dining" spots here and that description is a stretch. It is trattoria food. Service is important to me as is atmosphere--nothing stuffy, accommodating to fun-lovers (voices will be raised and laughter will be happening) and drinkers...Memphis is typically good with that. No pretentious hoo hah either; realness is luxurious.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:20 am

Where is Shags cooking?

i think it's germantown, way out east somewhere, there was a thread where he was looking for help
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:38 am

Posted: Sep 7, 2007 4:27 am

That's right. Well, I have a while to decide and plan, so if anyone has any good leads, lemme know. We'll likely do a dinner on a Thursday or Friday evening. We'll also be attending the Tigers-Gonzaga game on the 26th and I plan on being waaaaaaay into my cups and possibly even making it rain with some Monopoly money(Shirtless? Doubtful.) somewheres following the game as I will be turning 40 at precisely 12:44 am January 27th.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:25 pm

probably want to stick to Tsunami/Do/Beauty Shop/Dish if you want to have fun. The places I listed are a little more reserved. Encore could fit the bill though... best cocktails in town in my opinion.

Spindini (Judd Grisanti's new place downtown) is another place to have a good time at the bar. Really loud. Decent service. Adequate italian food. Obnoxious gel-haired, unbuttoned-shirt sleeve, fake boobie crowd though.

What about Bartlett? Is that lady cop still having naked pool parties now that her husband's out of jail? Was he the Rape Ape?
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 3:33 pm

Obnoxious gel-haired, unbuttoned-shirt sleeve, fake boobie crowd though.

This describes the clientele at my husband's job here so, no way. Please add to this description, Blackberries and iPhones sitting on the bar and/or table and answered very obviously.

I have never been to Dish...what is the word on that?
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 4:41 pm

Try Lolo's Table. Great food at a decent price. Turns out my friend's dad owns the place and is a big time Tiger fan/contributer.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 8:09 pm

i would second tsunami. they have great food and their service every time i've went has been nothing short of terrific.

interim was pretty good, but a little less creative on their menu (at least i think) than beauty shop or tsunami. but like taterhead said, i think they do have some service issues. the last time i went was kind of slow and the waiter wasn't as attentive as i thought he should be.

dish...i haven't eaten a full on dinner there since it was melange. however, i have had their tapas and they were very good and they have some great sangria (as does the beauty shop for that matter).

lolo's table is goooooood too. yum.

i've not tried spindini or encore. however, i've heard NOTHING but good things about encore though. so that'd be a good place to try.

i'm probably going to hit up that tigers/gonzaga game as well. i'm pretty damn stoked on it, actually.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 8:19 pm

i would second tsunami. they have great food and their service every time i've went has been nothing short of terrific

if you like having a pervert wait on you
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 8:30 pm

Yeah I didn't mention Tsunami because I thought it was obvious with all the mentions on here, but it's pretty much the best, most consistent, restaurant in town. I'd have to rate it right behind Encore for me. A pervert waitress would pretty much make it number one. All time.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 8:32 pm

Spindini (Judd Grisanti's new place downtown) is another place to have a good time at the bar. Really loud. Decent service. Adequate italian food. Obnoxious gel-haired, unbuttoned-shirt sleeve, fake boobie crowd though.

I didn't have any food, and the bartenders were a-ok, but seriously, worst. patrons. ever.

Tsunami's always a safe bet. Perversion notwithstanding.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 9:08 pm

if you like having a pervert wait on you

do you work there or something? heheh. jk.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 9:10 pm

Posted: Sep 7, 2007 9:10 pm

Tsunami was always my fave when I last lived there, but at that point they were one of the only games in town. If they are still up to snuff, I'd be glad to give them my biz again.
Posted: Sep 7, 2007 9:32 pm

if you go on a thursday dish has half price tapas until 10. they just changed the menu too.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®