Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Need Your Record Mastered?
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 8:42 pm

L. Nix gotta a new website y'all

http://www.lnixmastering.com/
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 9:41 pm

cd mastered...
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 10:07 pm

Actually, Larry has not retired his lathe yet - if you would like to get technical.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 10:52 pm

I thought they were "donating" it to STAX as a "showpiece"?
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 11:12 pm | Edited by: eric o

okay, he didn't list it as a service offered or list his lathe in his equipment on hand on his groovy website. when i mastered the reatards record there 10 years ago he said he was getting out of the vinyl mastering game. figured he had.

btw, he has mastered some amazing sounding records. i almost felt bad bringing him guitar wolf & the reatards. but he was great about it.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 11:17 pm

I mean, if he'll still do it, I'd love to get that last Blackout show mastered for vinyl by him. But his e-mail said he was getting rid of the lathe.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 11:21 pm

First page, bottom right:
"STAX RECEIVES HISTORIC LATHE

L.Nix Mastering's classic Neumann VMS 70 cutting lathe is headed to the Stax Museum! This magical lathe was used to produce nearly all of the hits from Stax back in the heyday of Memphis R&B."
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 11:24 pm

It has not yet been donated - his office is right next to mine.

He hasn't gotten rid of it yet - and John Fry and I recently had a long talk about the only thing people seem to be actually purchasing these days is vinyl.
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 12:56 am | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

I know it is your mission in life to prove me wrong -

but not today, Jack Stands, not today.
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 1:02 am

Plus - on another note - I wonder if Kevin has any interest in mastering for vinyl.

I've talked to a lot of bands this summer about their vinyl pressings selling out much more quickly than their CD's!
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 1:53 am

You have got to be shitting me.
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 9:37 am

Can we make this into a vinyl vs. CD debate?
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 3:07 pm

All of the popular artists I know prefer the warm tones of wire recorder, but they have really been moving wax cylinder. Let's face it. Laser to brain downloads are OVER.
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 3:25 pm

From my experience , vinyl deffinetly moves more...and faster.
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 3:31 pm

Totally glad everybody is figuring that out this summer.
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 3:36 pm

you know me....born in a barn!
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 3:36 pm

Does anybody know if there is a store in town where I can get this "vinyl" stuff? Do I need any special equipment? How do I get vinyl on to my ipod for dj night?
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 2:33 am

How do I get vinyl on to my ipod for dj night?

You need a PLAN!
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 11:03 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

You have got to be shitting me.

Ok, let me restate - in my LIMITED experience there seems to me to be a surge in mainstream bands (not just niche market or specialty limited pressings) that wouldn't normally even have an LP pressed that have jumped in over the last few years and have been surprised at how well they have sold. at least that is what I have been told.

So, I guess the ball is back in Eric's court -

Have you noticed a surge in in popularity for more mainstream bands to have special vinyl releases over the past few years?

Obviously, there was quite a decline for some years which led to the idea of just donating the lathe to Satx due to lack of use. However, with a surge in popularity - there might be a reason to keep it around.
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 11:16 pm

I said "You've got to be shitting me" because I don't know why you still post here and read so little of it.
This board has been discussing this new "trend" you are seeing for years.
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 11:39 pm

I didn't say that that was the first time the idea had popped into my head -

I said that the other day I discussed it with John Fry -

which just happened to be the first time the opportunity arose. And again, if my words were misleading - I should have said more bands that might actually sell more than 1000 copies.
Posted: Sep 3, 2007 3:21 am

Records are forever (unless you mistreat them). CDs lose the code on them after blah blah amount of years. End of debate.
Posted: Sep 5, 2007 3:52 pm

bands have been selling THOUSANDS of vinyl records for many many years....shit, Daptone has sold over 30,000 45s in the last few years. new bands' vinyl pressings generally sell out, while the CDs linger in the bins forever...Sympathy is a good example of that...people really into music know that vinyl never went away. Its funny how many disconnected folks will walk into the shop see all the vinyl and say shit like, actually very rudely, "do you actually sell these records? Who buys records?" and giggle like people who buy records are out fo their minds as they buy their CD. The people who are out of their minds are the people that pay 17.99 plus tax for a silver coaster. Good thing that important studies and focus groups led by the "industry" are making this valuable music marketing information known to us consumers...what on earth would us music lovers do without "trend forcasting" and "purchasing behavior" reports?
Posted: Sep 5, 2007 5:38 pm

Good thing that important studies and focus groups led by the "industry" are making this valuable music marketing information known to us consumers...what on earth would us music lovers do without "trend forcasting" and "purchasing behavior" reports?

Thank whatever deity that Rick Rubin has started a "Word of mouth" division at Colombia to tell us all that we really like The Gossip.

Can we make this into a vinyl vs. CD debate?

Success!
Posted: Sep 6, 2007 1:57 am

and i should tell the ladies that i am available for ass mastering.
Posted: Sep 6, 2007 7:07 pm

I spoke with Kevin and Larry has never even taught him to master records.

They are probably going to go through with the donation. But what Kevin brought up that I wasn't aware of (and I'm sure most of you were) was that the main reason they decided to stop mastering records was the rise in price of petroleum.

He explained the whole process to me but if anyone is interested I'm sure they can look it up for themselves.
Posted: Sep 6, 2007 10:46 pm

Vinyl is made from petroleum. Back in the 70s, when people actually listened to and purchased music, and there was a big oil crisis, record orders were consistently f'd up ...
Posted: Sep 6, 2007 11:36 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

Vinyl is made from petroleum. Back in the 70s, when people actually listened to and purchased music, and there was a big oil crisis, record orders were consistently f'd up ...

hence the rareness of a lot of big, in demand records that shouldnt be rare in theory(major label LPs from popular artists). A good example of this is Johnny Hammond's "Gears"...It became a big record with UK DJs in the 90s, so demand got pretty big...turns out, since it wasnt a big seller when it was released( as most funky Jazz LP is the 70s were commercial flops) most copies were destroyed in the 70s during the gas crisis, in order to recycle the vinyl....hence the trend of "virgin vinyl"(unused) as opposed to slutty vinyl(recycled)...
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 2:03 am

Larry Nix mastered 2 songs (7") for me 7/06 for $275 and said he was done with mastering vinyl after that one. Since he no longer offered his vinyl mastering services for my next release, I used Prarie Cat in Illinois for 4 songs (7") 6/07 for $165. Only bad thing was I didn't get to sit in on the session. It doesn't really matter how much he charges if he doesn't do sessions any more, but the price had definitely risen to the point where competition was worth checking out.

You can't beat being there for the mastering if possible, though--always a plus back when Larry did the mastering of vinyl. Rachel, if you had gone across the hall and asked him about it before publicizing a service that is no longer offered, then this whole discussion would have been moot.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 5:07 am

then this whole discussion would have been moot.

i just took a picture in japanese
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 9:12 am

Pardon me, Sherman...

All I said was the lathe is still there and John and I had a discussion about how it actually hadn't been donated yet if a reason came up to use it. I could be wrong, but I would be willing to bet that if John wanted to have a record mastered - it would probably get done.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 3:54 pm

Sounds like this should have been an in-house memo if you have to own Ardent Studios to get vinyl mastered there.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 6:31 pm

you know, it was just a flippant comment on a message board Sherman.

chill out.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 6:42 pm

I smell another 'no car mommie' thread coming on~!

LOOKOUT!

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 8:18 pm

I mastered a 7" at Ardent in the mid-90's and I'm not telling who did it!!! Vinyl was around in the 90's, too!! Believe it!! Call Time-Life Books!!
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 8:22 pm

Sorry, I'm chilled now. I misinterpreted your wrong information as a promotion you were touting (for your employer, I assume) for a service that doesn't exist any longer. Sorry to correct you, but there are people who read this stuff who actually need vinyl mastering services, which you were pimpin' and don't exist any longer. You were wrong and I corrected it with current information. Had you gotten off your ass and crossed the hall, you may not have wasted everyone's time.

I'm totally chillin' with a blizzard from Sonic, a Wendy's jazz cap, and a Bartles & James wine cooler.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 8:28 pm

Hey ya'll this is gettin' ugly ya'll!!!
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 1:27 am

I was just posting a link that Kevin sent me - who isn't my employer. I called an album a record instead of a CD. The vultures jumped - I tried to keep things light. Oh, and then I think I did come back and corrected myself and and said that they were probably going to go ahead with the donation. Or did you miss that part too?

But thanks for keeping everyone straight Sherm!

Enjoy your Blizzard!
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 1:48 am

It's not bad! Not as good as a freeze from Dixie Queen, but I'm drunk and D-train isn't around to drive me there right now. (Help, D-Train, we need your sax playing in Mempho!) Eric corrected your error then you continued to spout nonsense about which you should know if you are across the hall, but you still couldn't get it right. Just correcting the record for the many people on here who put do out records and need the service that was once provided there. It's all good! I know you don't understand all this technical stuff about vinyl/cds/intellectual property and that's why I fixed it for ya. It's all good. Whoo, Party!
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 1:56 am

a blizzard from Sonic,

Come correct. Blizzards are from DAIRY QUEEN!!!!!
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 2:03 am

Yeah, really, you got a BLAST from Sonic!
Good to see you again, sherman. Let's all hold hands and be united in this greatest little city in the universe...Midtown and Memphis music!!
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 2:35 am

I'm so busted! I'm gonna stick with my B&J wine coolers. You gals sure know your fast food!!!!! Hee=Haw!
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 3:11 am

actually, the cream pie shakes at sonic are the shiiiit!
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 3:42 am

Posted: Sep 10, 2007 8:58 pm

Rachelandthecity said blah blah blah

Man, I am really starting to realize why you are attacked every time you post on this board.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 9:38 pm

The sax needs a complete overhaul. Dusted off that thing a few weeks ago and the thing need a SERIOUS re-padding. There's some dents in the front from some COPOUT show,......it's in ruff shape. But it still PLAYS! I wouldn't wish my sax playin on my worst enemy.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 9:40 pm

wouldn't wish my sax playin on my worst enemy.
that's not what you said that night at green's lounge!
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 9:53 pm

this is like professional wrestling.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®