| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 5:29 pm

66 months - 2 years supervised release
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 5:42 pm

Ex - Tenn. Legislator Gets 5.5 Years

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 28, 2007
Filed at 12:31 p.m. ET

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Former state Sen. John Ford, once among Tennessee's most powerful lawmakers, was sentenced Tuesday to 5 1/2 years in prison for bribery.

Ford, 64, was one of five former lawmakers convicted of bribery or extortion in a statewide corruption investigation code named ''Tennessee Waltz.''

He was convicted in April of taking $55,000 in bribes from FBI agents posing as dishonest businessmen representing a company called E-Cycle Management. The company, which sought a change in state law for a business advantage, was front created by the FBI.

In addition to the prison term, Ford was sentenced to two years on supervised probation.

Ford declined to comment as he left court on Tuesday, but a day earlier he apologized for his wrongdoing.

''I accept the jury's verdict and take full, total and complete responsibility for my actions,'' the Democrat said Monday.

Ford, who spent three decades in the Senate and took the most bribe money by far of the Tennessee Waltz lawmakers, is a member of one of Memphis' most active political families.

He still faces unrelated federal charges in Nashville, where he is accused of misreporting $800,000 in payments from contractors with TennCare, the state's medical insurance program for the poor.

Former state Sen. Roscoe Dixon was also convicted at trial in the case and is serving a five-year prison sentence. The other lawmakers pleaded guilty; two await sentencing and the other spent nine months in prison.
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 10:02 pm | Edited by: miss linda

My prediction is that he will spend about half of his sentance he recieved today,
but wait, There's more!
He has another case pending in Nashville,and the I.R.S. is HOT on his ASS after that trial!
There's a good chance that he may die in jail.
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 10:06 pm | Edited by: miss linda

His wife made a quote yesterday for the local media
"think of the children".

That's always amusing to me when some woman spouts out that dribble.

FUCK THE CHILDREN!
IN THE ASS!
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 10:43 pm

As these are federal charges and under federal sentencing guidelines, he'll have serve the full time. The federal sentencing system does not have parole.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 12:47 am

Teflon John can play on the prison touch football team with Mike Vick.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 1:12 am

His wife made a quote yesterday for the local media
"think of the children".

Didn't this guy have issues paying child support?
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 5:01 am

You might have issues too if you had to support SEVEN churrdrennz.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 5:45 am

Do you know how many churrunz we brry?
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 7:31 am

I realize that we spent millions of individual tax dollars to put John away for 5, 6 years, but I'm glad to see SOMETHING happen to this black-hearted, corrupt-to-the-core, semi-literate windbag. I mean, he was threatening cops back in 1973 - "You'll be a garbage collector next week" - or something. Keep in mind, your mid-60's are probably not the best years to be skipping by sitting behind bars. Can I get a resounding "This is racism!!! They're just trying to keep us down!!!" from sassy DMV employees and bank tellers the city over?!?! Can I???
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 7:32 am

here's my friend Drew's (who works at a news station) very funny blog about the whole thing:

things i learned from the john ford trial today.
Category: Jobs, Work, Careers

1. if you're a lawyer, and you need to have people come into vouch for a client, PRE-INTERVIEW THEM. There's nothing that makes a jury/judge think your client is an arrogant prick more than putting his friends on the stand to say that in different ways. ways like, "john'll do anything for you, as long as you approach him and give him some compliments first." or "i've known john for 40 years, but our friendly time is all business. He doesn't want to small talk." or "alot of people think he's arrogant, by the way he talks about all the stuff he's done and what kind of suits he wears, but he's really not."

2. having alot of kids to support is not a very good reason to skirt punishment. 7 out of john's 12 are still below 18, with his youngest, john-john, being in pre-school, and the oldest being supported through med school by Ford. no wonder the poor bastard took bribes! shit, i barely have money for 2 kids. i couldn't imagine having to support 10 extra ones. if i had that many kids, i'd ask for prison to get a break from them.

3. when giving an apology for taking bribes and offering a reason why you should be excused, don't say "i trusted too much." Ford must've spent a full half minute on explaining out how the only reason he's in trouble is because he trusted the wrong people. you were convicted of taking bribes, not getting your car stolen by giving the guy your car keys. trusting the wrong people is what got your ass caught, not forced you to take bribes.

4. john ford is an excellent father...for the 11 minutes a day he has left over after making politcal deals and driving around nashville clockin' hoes. that equals out to be around 55 seconds a day for each kid. aparently that's enough. and here i am like a sucker trying to spend as much time as possible with my kids. maybe the secret to being a good father is being away from your kids for the absolute longest amount of time available.

5. john ford's game is crunk tight. even ex's that he'd been screwing around on for 10 years will come around and defend you if your game is golden. learn it-live it.

6. i really want to be courtroom security for the federal courts. those dudes are all over 60 and can't see they're penis' anymore, but they spend the weekends driving harley's and bar-b-qing and their days sitting in a chair directing people through checkpoints and living out early retirement. o, that's the life.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 7:36 am

Oh, and to my list of racial ambulance chasers, you can add U of M Financial Aid/Burser's Office employees. I'm wondering from the subject, here, sorry.....
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 7:42 am

hey, someone else with a blog! i can't believe it!

jack stands- get with it!

myspace, too!
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 12:45 pm

Too funny and WAY TOO TRUE!
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 2:42 pm

racial ambulance chasers

You forgot the clerks at 201--both the jail and police dept offices.

Great rundown by Drew on the blog--address or "url" as they say?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®