Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Attention unemployed peeps
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 5:09 am

Petra on Madison needs an evening server. Call em up or go by and harass Sue. I work at the Kwik Chek (who owns Petra) so I dunno anything bout workin there, but the owner claims tips are great during September and October. Probably worth a shot...
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 5:52 am

Still looking for someone who wants to run sound Sun-Thursday at Murphy's.
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 6:29 am

Q - hours? experience? audition?
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 7:10 am

WOW! Mdore jobs in Memphis than NYC right now!
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 7:12 am

the relay center is always hiring!
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 8:17 am

the relay center is always hiring!

never again. whew. i don't think i could take any more days of saying "GO AHEAD" and repeating myself fifty times. i would so get fired in a matter of an hour there now anyway.
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 9:30 pm

what is the relay center?
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 9:44 pm

I think it's a massage parlor.
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 9:48 pm

it's a call center that makes ip and state relay calls for the deaf. the strangest and probably most annoying job i've ever had! oh and lauren....did you hear we're getting sold again?
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 12:24 am

like, TTY calls? how come it's so annoying?
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 1:16 am

I'm just guessing three reasons:

"What?"

"Are you really telling them what I am saying?"

"I don't care if it is a phone sex number, call it and tell her I'm jerking off so hard right now."
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 1:48 am

Wire- The hours would be whenever shows happen that I can't make it to because of my office job, which I work 7pm to 2am Sun-Thur. Email my myspace account if you are interested myspace.com/quinnpowers. Audition: Can you get along with the folks at Murphy's? Experience: Do you know how to wind up mike cables and put them away? Do you know the difference between the male and female ends of an xlr cable? The job may also include ejecting bums and making sure none of the equipment gets damaged or stolen. I believe we met briefly Mr. Wire, you're a friend of J. Stands correct?
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 3:09 pm

What is the PA there or is PA too big a term still?
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 6:21 pm

What is the PA there or is PA too big a term still?

Yamaha EMX 5000 12 track mixer (1000 watt self powered)
Plus 800 watt outboard rig for monitors.
JBL mains and Yamaha monitor speakers.
Peavey 18" Black Widow subs.

Not all acts are rock. There will be times when all inputs are used, and you must know what you are doing. D/I boxes with acoustic instruments and extremely hot inputs, etc. It can get a little hairy sometimes.

So, if you want to make jokes thats fine.

Let's see what you've got, Bubbah. I bet you couldn't mix a bowl of soup!

For those who are serious, we would be happy to discuss this at the bar where we can talk about the system in a hands-on environment.

thankyaverymuch.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 6:37 pm

like, TTY calls? how come it's so annoying?

yes, tty calls but also there is an internet site you can go to as well and it works essentially like a tty.

it really is annoying because of the large number of prank calls, nigerian scam calls, and bitchy deaf folks that use the service and also the idiots that don't understand the concept of relay that you have to explain the process to fifty times and they still won't get it right. it made me want to put my fist through the computer a hundred times a day. but it was rather hilarious at times because of the funny things people say. deaf people talking about sex is kind of hilarious to me as they're talking in asl.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 6:41 pm

I still don't understand relay. What are you relaying there calls too?
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 7:17 pm

yes, tty calls but also there is an internet site you can go to as well and it works essentially like a tty.

it really is annoying because of the large number of prank calls,

please, Please, PLEASE post the link to the internet site!

I promise I won't pull any pranks!

but I can't speak for my drunken alter-ego.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 7:23 pm | Edited by: heyradio

Posted: Aug 29, 2007 7:54 pm

you are relaying the deaf person's (or whoever else uses the service) to whatever phone number they are calling.

say you got on the website or tty and you type in a number for me to dial as the operator. i would have to dial the number and then when the person answers, you tell them that they are getting a relay call (unless you specify not to announce relay) and then you say whatever the person on the tty or website is typing to you. then you say "GO AHEAD" and that tells the person on the phone end of it to talk. when they talk, the operator types back what they are saying to the person on the tty or website and they can read it.

basically, it allows for deaf folks to make telephone calls like the rest of us.

but yeah...
http://www.ip-relay.com

i don't give a fuck if you make pranks at all cuz i don't work there anymore, thank christ. now april on the other hand...she still works there. heheh.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 8:52 pm

lauren, that's hularious. what were some of the sex stuff you would have to say to peopoe?
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 9:20 pm

is the pay good?
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 3:19 am

god, i've said everything i could imagine and then some. sometimes i actually like the people who are pranking more than the real deaf people. the pay isn't great. i make 10.20/hr. the benefits are pretty good since it's a big corp.

i usually use aim if i prank people on relay. there's a robot you can add to your buddie list called "my ip relay"
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 3:24 am

wow....that sounds like the best job in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 10:56 pm

ehhh. i felt a sense of impending doom every time i pulled into the parking lot of that place.

the deaf stuff was the most hilarious to me. one instance of it was that this pregnant girl was mad at her boyfriend for not having sex with her and he was saying "well you're so big..." and she was yelling him saying "i want u have sex with me i want u eat my cherry". i had to mute the whole thing while i busted out laughing. also, many deaf people misspell "pepperoni" as "peppernoi" or "peppernonni" and many other variations and usually would spell "cheese" as "chesse". it was CONSTANT. they were always ordering pizzas, especially the deaf kids at gallaudet. the worst calls from deaf people were to AOL. it was AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL because AOL has all those rotten ass scripts and they won't take no for an answer and nine times out of ten, the CSRs are in india, making it difficult to translate all the way around.

the prank calls just got super annoying after hearing the same prank made 50 times in one day. really really annoying. "who is this?" "it's your worst nightmare!!!" over and over again.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 12:26 am

go ahead.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 12:40 am

"i want u have sex with me i want u eat my cherry". i

so you had to repeat that or type it in. . . . there is no way in HELL i could repeat that without laughing. and what if in the argument, the hearing person on the phone wants your input?

that is so hularious. . . i can just see you now, lauren.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 3:40 am

yeah i had to actually SAY it. the dude i was telling it to was kind of laughing because of his wife saying this too. he was apologizing to me for it. if people ask for your input, you are supposed to tell them that you are not allowed to engage in conversation. :P super stupid. a lot of shit made me laugh but there is a mute button.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 5:31 am

god i could totally get fired for this but i don't even care....my favorite tn relay guy is named ryan. he calls people outta state all the time. people he does not know to ask them if they know any single young black hard of hearing or hearing sisters age 23-29. he's jehovahs witness and is calling people from church directories or something. i can't quite figure it out. these people get sooooo annoyed, but they're christians so they try to be nice to him. i love it!
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 7:03 am

you talk, they're deaf. sounds perfect.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 5:05 pm

you all do not know how bad i need a job right now but i just do not think i could do that. april, it would be so funny if during one of those calls you used your sexiest voice EVER! haha, would you get fired for that>?
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 6:07 pm

as long as you are consistent throughout the entire call, you can pretty much talk in whatever voice you want. i used to do entire calls in a cockney accent. other times i would talk like lois griffin from the family guy. sometimes i would use a heavy nasally minnesota type accent. other times i would talk like a total hick. it's difficult to do a particularly long call that way, but if you can pull it off, they cannot say anything to you at all about it. it kind of makes the job fun. and a lot of people on tn relay will hang up if they get a relay call with an operator speaking in a british accent because they think that it's costing them money because it's an out of country call or something. hilarity.

the jehovah's witness guy....dude i used to get his calls all the time.

my favorite tnrelay person was barbie. she's so wrong it's amazing.
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 3:19 am

haha barbie's boyfriend hit on me one time.

man.....i dunno if we're allowed to use accents anymore. did you hear about the guy who got fired for using a chinese accent? he freaked out and went running all over the center knocking shit over and cussing everyone out. it was pretty crazy. haha made the day more exciting
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 7:11 am

hahah that's funny. but i never heard about him. that sucks. i used to have so much fun doing that shit. speaking of knocking shit over, i used to play "baseball" with those wrist rest things all the time. we'd knock around one of the stress relief toys with them and hit them over aisles. there were these people who were super fucking annoying that played cards and one time we completely knocked their game over off the chair by playing our baseball game. the guy flipped out and screamed at us and then we just denied the whole thing to the supervisor and she got on the dude and told him to calm down and quit playing cards on calls anyway. it was so fucking hilarious.

used to take 2 hours lunches too. heheh. those were the days. i would never work there again. it's people like me that probably made them want to crack down though. well, me and a handful of others. heheh.
Posted: Sep 2, 2007 3:49 am

man. now i kinda wanna work there. just for a minute. i really need to check this out. . . .
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 6:47 pm

Back on the hunt. Any advice? I've got a pretty handsome resume. I think I have seasonal recession.
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 10:34 pm

I talk to walls everyday it seems!
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 10:36 pm

as long as they don't talk back...
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 11:42 pm

quinn, are you interested in working in the production office on a movie? it's 5 or 6 days a week, long hours, but they feed you etc.
Posted: Oct 11, 2007 12:08 am

If you've got a bachelor's degree, you can always sub for MCS. The pay's good - around $80/day. Just sayin'.
Posted: Oct 11, 2007 12:13 am

Andria, sounds good, I have a bit of production offfice experience. Im a git yo number from Eric O.
Posted: Oct 11, 2007 12:44 am

Andria--hit me up at
k dot irene dot young at GMAIL

Thanks baby dolls.
Posted: Oct 11, 2007 5:55 pm

Man those hollywood folks are cheap! Thanks anyhow Andria.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®