Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Memphis Musicians
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 3:33 pm

Where are the musicians hanging out in this town these days?

I'm looking for a bass player, maybe a drummer. I'm no spring chicken at this game, as I've been playing it for like 12 years or so. I checked out the Bandmix.com thing and actually met some interesting people. Where do you go when you're looking for those about to rock?
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 3:47 pm

beale st
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 3:49 pm

every mother's nightmare is playing at the stage stop. lotta people ready to rock, and who rocked about 15 years ago, will be there.
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 4:24 pm

and that will be a dream come true for the fans that have missed them for the last two and a half years.
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 4:52 pm

I've rocked some Aerosmith at the Stage Stop before with John Roth.

:)

But my heart's grove and rock, not glam or butt rock, esp. not YACHT ROCK. Is anybody interested in kicking serious ass around here? Are there any bands kicking serious ass around here? I want to see them!
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 5:31 pm

I fucking love Every Mother's Nightmare.
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 6:30 pm | Edited by: Golightly

Just get a plan Nigel...it'll happen!
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 6:43 pm

bear up bison, never say die!
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 7:11 pm

OMFG.

I'm waiting for the Tufnel shot, now that the XTC one has been done.

Interestingly enough, Billy Little at Strings sold me a Digitech 2101 guitar processor in the 90's that had two gain stages that BOTH WENT TO 11.

The material I'm writing these days has alot of the intensity of Siamese Dream era Smashing Pumpkins, without the whining. I just don't know many players that are into rocking fase like that. Y'all know of any?

On a side note, I'm utterly shocked and pleasantly surprised to discover that my old mechanic and breeze shootin' buddy Justin is playing drums for the Splints. I've got to fukken see that shit!
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 8:23 pm

Every Mother's Nightmare may never end, after all

By Michael Donahue
Friday, August 24, 2007

Every Mother's Nightmare is back. That will be a dream come true for fans who've missed the band for the past 21/2 years.

Lead singer Rick Ruhl, bassist Troy Fleming, guitarist Travis Hall, lead guitarist Jeff Caughron and drummer Kris Beavers will reunite for one show tonight at The Stage Stop in Raleigh.

In its heyday, Every Mother's Nightmare, which was signed to Arista records, performed for 55,000 people and appeared with Cheap Trick and Warrant. Their songs included "House of Pain," "Walls Come Down" and "Long Haired Country Boy." They had a No. 3 hit on a Billboard chart with "Love Can Make You Blind."

Until they rehearsed this week, some of the band members rarely had seen each other since the group drifted apart.

"I'm really looking forward to getting back on stage with these guys," Fleming said. "Just rehearsing last night brought back so many memories and a bunch of different old stories rehashed again and again. We just laughed."

"After we knocked the rust off -- it was probably the fourth song -- we were just falling into stuff," Ruhl said.

Ruhl, an original member of the band that formed in the late 1980s, recalled when Clive Davis, Arista Records founder, visited Memphis to hear them. "We threw together a show in a day and played in a warehouse for him. He took my shirt and boots to his office and said, 'I'm gonna keep this. It's gonna be worth something some day.' We were just ragtag. I had on cowboy boots. I had been wearing them so long the heel was gone off one of them, and I had a guitar string holding the bottom on the other.

"I signed a 12-album deal and bailed out on the third album."

Davis asked Ruhl to record a couple of songs, which were more '80s rock ballad style than Every Mother's Nightmare. "I didn't want to do it, but I did it. I compromised the band and compromised what we were about, and it didn't pay off."

After the third album, "We quit calling them, they quit calling us. Every time I play somewhere somebody will say something about playing one of those songs. I still haven't played them to this day. I recorded them, and I haven't played them."

Ruhl then put together the current lineup and the band signed with a smaller label, Perris Records. "This band is above and beyond better than the original band. It's just straightforward rock and roll."

After a bad experience with their manager, the band members took a break and began pursuing other interests.

Caughron joined Jasmine Cain, a band based in Michigan. He shared Every Mother's Nightmare stories with Cain, the group's lead singer. "He would always talk about, 'When we used to do this. We used to do that,'" she said. "I knew he really missed the band. I knew he really missed the guys."

Jasmine Cain played a show a few months ago at The Stage Stop. "I said, 'Call your friends from the band and see if they want to come out and see the show.'"

Three of the band members showed up, got on stage and jammed. "They'd been wanting to do a show and they've been getting a lot of e-mails from their fans wondering when they're gonna do another show," Cain said. "I said, 'Why don't we do one?' It's my fault."

So, is Every Mother's Nightmare back for good? "We're gonna see what happens with this show," Ruhl said.

"I never honestly thought there'd be an end to it," Beavers said.

To hear music by this week's performer and view more pictures, go to commercialappeal.com and click on music. Listen Up spotlights area performers. Michael Donahue can be reached at 529-2797.

More info:

Every Mother's Nightmare with Corey Osborn and Jasmine Cain

9:30 tonight at The Stage Stop, 2951 Cela Road. Cover: $10.
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 9:05 pm

Surely, Rachel, you know the scoop.

I've got the material, talent, time, tools and vision.

Where are the great rock bassists?
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 10:42 pm

Nigel, don't knock the yacht rock. My artists fuel their vessels with their blood ... and their broken dreams.
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 11:43 pm

I remember working at St. Blues with Joel and Darrin and geeking out on Yacht rock.

:)
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 2:00 am

Chris Swenson at Memphis Independent plays bass and likes to rock face- and if he ain't down with what you're doing - I'm sure he knows someone who is.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 2:03 am

What constitute "Yacht Rock"? Other than the skits-a-plenty, I think it is an ill-knighted genre. Change my mind, I dare ya.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 4:06 am

Chris Swenson at Memphis Independent

Where is this?
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 4:29 am

CLEVELAND

same space as Rocket Science and Makeshift
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 3:30 pm

Are you the Nigel that hangs out with my brother?
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 5:08 pm

I dunno. Who's you brother?
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 5:15 pm

On a side note, some mexican dood shot up the rally point last night and I got hit in the neck... 'Tis but a flesh wound, but man this city is gettin' crazy. I got robbed at gunpoint three weeks ago at Celtic Crossing, and my dad's coworker got pistol whipped by the 'lil black kids that did it.

I did get to meet the new bass player from Taco and the Mofos though, and we may jam.

Praise the lord! Hehe.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Are you in a band called Stardust or something like that?
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 9:15 pm

Daystar, with Beau, Daniel, John, and Gabriel.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 9:17 pm

Oh duh!!~ Ashley!!!

Shit, Beau was over here last Saturday night. We jammed and checked out the new shit. He's got some really cool music going on!
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 6:31 pm

On a side note, I'm utterly shocked and pleasantly surprised to discover that my old mechanic and breeze shootin' buddy Justin is playing drums for the Splints. I've got to fukken see that shit!

Looks like he isn't anymore - they're moving and looking for a new drummer - last show before they go is Thursday, 9/20 at Murphy's.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 10:19 pm

YACHT ROCK

someone needs to do a yacht rock mix and call it "Step into the Marina"
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 8:47 am

Hope you made it, Nigel, because the Splints were fucking great.
Sorry to see them go.
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 9:47 pm

Missed it, unfortunately.

I've been hanging out with these guys called "Yossarian."

Might do a few shows with them singing. We'll see. Still looking for folks to make a team like 311 to rock for life...
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 10:57 pm

Yossarian? Are those the guys who hang out naked in trees?
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 5:07 pm

Yossarian? Are those the guys who hang out naked in trees?

No, they're really into Sunny Day and Mars Volta and can't hold down a singer.

So, Memphis Independent, eh? I checked out the website, but alas, no info. What's their MO?
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 6:10 pm

Memphis Independent

Same place as Rocket Science Audio. Chris is good peeps. What are you looking to do?
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 6:14 pm

What constitute "Yacht Rock"?

Not sure, but it brings to my mind the deep cuts on Christopher Cross, Paul Davis, and Michael Macdonald's solo CD's.
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 6:40 pm

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 8:21 pm | Edited by: Nigel

Same place as Rocket Science Audio. Chris is good peeps. What are you looking to do?

Yeah, I get where they are. I meant what kind of music is coming out.

Me? www.bandmix.com/xnigelx

I've got some demos up, DEMOS. I want to rock like early pearl jam/MC5/Big Wreck/311/Hum/Smashing Pumkins. RAWK RAWK RAWK!
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 8:59 pm

Does anyone around here have that kind of taste? You know, great rock guitar sounds, high energy, meaningful lyrics, clean, tight, soulful bass, 400lb. gorilla drums?
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 11:30 pm

I've always wanted to start a band called "3.11".
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 5:13 pm

I could spend hours making fun of Michael McDonald and never tire of it. lol
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 7:12 pm

I could spend hours making fun of Michael McDonald and never tire of it. lol

His work with the Dan is priceless.

How 'bout those backup vocals on "Peg?"
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 8:18 pm

I mean, why keep a voice like that buried away when it should be out in the front singing such timeless classics as "Sweet Freedom"?

This message brought to you by the word "enunciate" (something I don't think MM has ever done in his life!)
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 8:24 pm

But damn, "What a Fool Believes" plays in my head in all it's majestic, harmonious glory, and I can't help but say DAMN!.
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 8:51 pm

That song is the closest he ever got to greatness, and even it is so...far...away...
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 9:03 pm

From one of my new favorite websites. . .

http://jasonhare.com/2006/09/06/what-a-fool-believesapalooza/
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 9:10 pm

What a Fool Believes

indeed
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 9:19 pm

From one of my new favorite websites. . .
That was brilliant.
Peter Cox is the Death Star of blue-eyed soul.

Did McD ever buy that house here?
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 9:23 pm

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 9:36 pm

Sha Na Na, Carl Wilson and Casey Kasem's rant all bundled together. That. Is. Awesome.
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 9:42 pm

And the hits just keep on comin'!

http://jasonhare.com/2007/03/07/adventures-through-the-mines-of-mellow -gold-23/

"Time to bring out the big guns. It's sax time."
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 10:00 pm

I was just reading the "Sister Golden Hair" one; half-sister conspiracy?
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 10:03 pm

God this sucks! Why the fuck don't the downloads work?!

GRRR.
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 10:04 pm

Ambrosia

David Pack

WHAT?!?!?
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 10:05 pm

I was just reading the "Sister Golden Hair" one; half-sister conspiracy?

Yeah, how about that?
I swear you could spend hours on this site. You should see the entries for "Moonlight Feels Right" and "Thunder Island."
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 10:15 pm

I was just wondering if "Cool Night" is somewhere on there. The muzak at this place is mostly mellow gold and Steely Dan. "Cool Night" was just on.
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 10:17 pm

I swear you could spend hours on this site.

Well, I've already spent one completely mezmerized.

Earles needs to write an essay on the "Colorado-ization of American Music" era.
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 10:21 pm

The Goodbye Girl, a Neil Simon screenplay, was slated for the big screen in late 1977. Herb Ross and Ray Stark, the director and producer of the movie, respectively, were fans of Bread's magical, gentle, non-confrontational, wimpy style. They asked Gates if he'd be willing to write a theme song in said style, and then maybe hold the two of them gently afterwards, perhaps on a bearskin rug.

Gates saw a screening of the film and returned to his ranch. While raking hay and riding his tractor, Gates had blessed, wimpy inspiration, ran inside, and penned "Goodbye Girl." You're probably thinking the same thing I'm thinking right now: the guy wrote this while on a tractor? I could imagine him writing it while riding, I don't know, a cloud, a kitten, another handsome, moustachioed cowboy named Gary...but a tractor?
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 10:23 pm

It's funny how badly stuff like this makes me want to form a one-off project for an LP of smooth.
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 10:28 pm

Now, it's no secret that Buckingham and Nicks have had, shall we say, not the healthiest of relationships. But what probably didn't help the situation was the fact that Nicks and Egan wound up sleeping together for a period of time during the sessions for Fundamental Roll. After she recorded backing vocals for his song "Tunnel Of Love" (no, not that "Tunnel Of Love"), Egan became downright smitten. He drove home from the sessions, and on the way, saw a purple Lincoln Continental with the license plate "Not Shy." Struck with inspiration, he went home and wrote "Magnet And Steel." That's right: "Magnet And Steel" is about Stevie Nicks. And guess who sings those backing vocals? That's Lindsey on the low, Stevie on the high. Awkward!

Of course, the Egan/Nicks relationship didn't last. (My wife: "Why would she date a guy named Walter?" My response: "I dunno, why would she date a guy named Lindsey?") Regardless, word is that she was honored the song was about her, although admittedly, she preferred the first draft, "Microphone Stand And Scarf."
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 4:27 pm

I was just wondering if "Cool Night" is somewhere on there. The muzak at this place is mostly mellow gold and Steely Dan. "Cool Night" was just on.

Ask and ye shall receive!

Paul Davis - Cool Night (download)

I ask you this: do they get any smoother? Any more mellow? I seriously don't think it's possible.

Like "I Go Crazy," this song is actually quite pretty. Gentle, unobtrusive backing vocals. This one actually has a drum beat to it, which means that it's considered a Paul Davis "rock" song, I suppose. There are two main differences between "I Go Crazy" and "Cool Night," however: the first difference is that "Cool Night" sounds exactly like you'd expect it to sound. Unlike track 1, we're not expecting Paul Davis to go batshit insane on a song called "Cool Night."

The other difference happens at 2:33. Paul Davis actually does go a little crazy. He lets his Gregg Allman-esque hair down and does something truly ballsy: KEY CHANGE!

I love the key change. When I sing this song to myself, I never have the patience to get to the chorus after the guitar solo. I always do the key change right away. That's how much I love the key change.

I quoted him last week, but I'm repeating Mike's quote in case you missed it. Mike sums up the emotion behind many of the Mellow Gold hits:

"I love you so much that I will never bother you again" or "come on baby, just allow me to be in your beatific presence and I will not even think of putting any kind of sexual move on you. I promise."

That's "Cool Night" in a nutshell. "If it don't feel right, you can go." I almost can't believe he's making the statement. A guy who looks like that? Come ON! I keep wondering if it's a Jedi mind trick of some sort. Does the woman stay? Does she leave him to go find the guy from Firefall? (Whoa!) It's a mystery, friends. A cool, mellow mystery.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 5:04 pm

Ok, perhaps a Yacht Rock thread is appropriate at this point.

Let's get back on topic, where DO the musicians hang out?
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 6:47 pm

I'm a poor excuse for a "Memphis musician"--I hang out at home.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®