Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / So, say you decided to go as MARTHA QUINN to a costume party...
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 2:06 am

...what would be a must?

The campier the better as I am sure 1/2 the party will have no idea who Martha Quinn is.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 2:12 am

I'd have to cut my hair and shave. Not bloody likely.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 2:18 am

Well, mista, thank goodness we are talking about MOI.

I have to get a cheap short wig (cos of my salt n pep hair) and I am going to obviously wear girly ass/new wave 80s clothing...what I would give for my haircut and clothes circa 1984.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 2:21 am

Oh! Oh, I see.

Leggings made from an afghan. The blanket. Not the people.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 2:30 am

You're going to need to wear a nametag. Still, no one will know who that is.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 2:50 am

I hope you're as HOT as Martha Q.!!!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:09 am

A tube of topical acne medication!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:10 am

You could bring a carpet swatch. And munch on it.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:21 am

I wouldn't kick her outta the sack!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:44 am | Edited by: boohyah

gotta be a horizontal striped mini dress.

black and white stripes.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:53 am

"stuffin martha's muffin"
Mojo Nixon
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:50 am

stiv bators on the side, natch
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 1:38 pm

My whole "Double Costume" idea was ruined because Ryan has to work--we were going to be Glenn Frey as Jimmy the coke smuggling pilot and Big Booty Trudy. I guess I could still be Big Booty Trudy--got the booty, now all I need is the bronzer!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:24 pm

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!

Do it! Do it! Do it!

My friend went to a costume party less than 1/2 a year ago as Tabitha Soren. Red-haired w. bangs and a homemade "MTV" microphone. Originally he was going to go as Kurt Loder but already had a Tabitha wig so...

maybe a jambox that played the MTV news theme song over and over?
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:41 pm

Ryan should go as J.J. Jackson. Maybe a corpsed-up J.J. Jackson.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:11 pm

Posted: Aug 22, 2007 5:56 pm

homemade "MTV" microphone

This will be done! Thanks!

I wish Ryan did not have to work; he could be a corpsed up, Florida retiree style Alan Hunter.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 6:48 pm | Edited by: Studio G

MTV Mics made easy

You will need:

1 pair of scissors
1 roll of electrical tape
1 box of Kleenex brand facial tissue
1 standard toilet tissue cardboard tube
1 pair of black or red stockings
4 small pieces of square cardboard
1 2 to 1 RCA cable (optional)
1 Dave Kendall "holding"
1 black Sharpie

Color toilet paper roll with black sharpie. stuff many Kleenex's into red or black stocking until you get something that resembles a nice sized 'spit guard" on typical mics used by MTV authority types. Stuff spit guard into toilet paper tube like you were making a biblical figurine for a manger scene. Cut cardboard and tape together to form a small "box" that can fit snugley around toilet paper roll. Color MTV logo on the face of each cardboard square. Choose your logo-"MTV News" or "Choose or Lose." But don't worry...this time either way you choose-you won't lose! Tape RCA cable to inside of toilet paper tube and Voila! You're ready to get to the bottom of music's biggest most pertinent questions. But dont' forget to blow some lines with Dave Kendall on your way out the door for that added investigative edge.
The most important thing to remember is HAVE FUN & BE CREATIVE! It's your night...but get going already...You must be first with the scoop!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 7:03 pm | Edited by: CrucialDude

just study this classic FAME moment between Lee Ving and Martha Quinn

crucial bonus - damone on drums!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 7:56 pm

I swear, it is a littlle frightening how much I actually looked like her (circa late 1983) in that crazy Lee Ving video. Little bit lighter brunette, but mullet just the same. Also, lasciviously eyeballing "bad bad men" too. Blech.

Studio G, you RULE with the mike DIY. I was just starting to consider that and as I sold my Mister Microphone years ago, I was freaking out.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 9:22 pm

OK, costume is almost done but needs finishing touches...gimme some ideas if you have 'em.

MTV mike is complete!
Clothing is longish purple cotton tee over grey with polka dots leggings and purple suede elfin boots.
Wearing TWO Swatch watches from 1984

I need other little ideas. How would you do your makeup? Jewelry? I am considering rolling up a purple bandana and tying it around my neck loosely...I forgot to get cheap plastic necklaces and appropriate earrings, so I have to wing it.

My wig is fucking ridiculous, like a combo of the Martha Quinn mullet and the "Rachel".
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 10:13 pm

Gene Simmons make up!

everyone remembers Martha Quinn for that!
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 10:27 pm

Studio G, you RULE with the mike DIY.

No kidding. You're handy!
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 11:44 pm

The MTV mike is the most authentic part of the costume. I ended up using a lightweight Dora the Explorer tennis ball inside a black trouser sock for the top. The base is a toilet paper role plus poster board addition wrapped in layers of gaffers tape. I printed off an old MTV logo (3x) from some graphic design site and taped it onto a strip of poster board and bent it into a triangle shape and it is taped just under the tennis ball, on the toilet paper roll. It is ghet-TO but fabulous.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®