Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Very interesting info about Memphis music
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 12:53 am

I just read a British magazine interview where Jack got really annoyed. The interviewer brought up an old Noel Gallagher quote from around the the "Get Behind Me Satan" period when White was a little heavy and working that stupid mustache and Bolero suit look. Gallagher said he looked like "Zorro on doughnuts." Funniest line ever.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 1:09 am

^^^Post Two-hundy!!!! So worth it for the quote, merci Bob.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 7:44 am

Gallagher? now oasis is encroaching on my favorite comedian's turf?

BACK OFF, BOWLCUTS!
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 1:02 pm | Edited by: Bubbah

&tWhat does the Memphis Music comm site do? Eats big tax dollars and pays Rachel. I don't get their whole thing and the plan is like
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1562 4033

What does Live From Memphis Do?
It looks like a whole lot more.
It's a database, talent and crew, gigs, events, in many industries under the umbrella title of "ENTERTAINMENT".
I think we should do away with the "Memphis" part of the name (sadly because we have a knack for killing our best before they can make a difference) and just call it "Live From and go GLOBAL. Chris will need a new bigger drive.
I think it needs a magazine available at clubs, hotels, music stores, record shops, and all Big time Music Seminars and a constant presence at those during the year.
The Music commission hasn't got a clue what it's mission is.
The Musician's union is a joke here, although it works in other places even smaller ones than Memphis.
What does the grammy people do but buy New Orleans musicians new intstruments?
What do Memphis Musicians need? The big question!
FULLTIME PAYING GIGS WITH BENEFITS OR ENOUGH MONEY TO GET SOME!!!!!
How is the Music Commission helping US get THAT?
They're not.
What good are they?
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 3:12 pm

Eats big tax dollars and pays Rachel.

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 10:56 pm

How is the Music Commission helping US get THAT?
They're not.
What good are they?

It's not the commission's fault, although the whole thing is a big joke. The reason musicians can't get paid is there is a miniscule market for music in this supposed music Mecca. This is not Europe, not Japan, not New York or L.A. If you want to make a living in music, you are in the wrong town (and both my parents are musicians who did pretty well for themselves in this town ...).
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 11:23 pm

perhaps this is the problem with the Memphis scene, each group of fans has their snarky little comments, their own correct ideology, i'm guilty of it myself as a person who doesn't believe that there is such a thing as "decent" hip-hop. but honestly, and I think this was the point of what andy was mentioning. if we did a little ass kissing here and there, faked a smile for five fucking minutes, and managed to refrain from mentioning that someone "smells like farts", maybe people would want to actually stay in this town of ours.
Posted: Sep 4, 2007 11:25 pm

oh and by the way the smells like farts comment was so funny i was literally laughing for days, literally
Posted: Sep 5, 2007 1:01 am

perhaps this is the problem with the Memphis scene, each group of fans has their snarky little comments, their own correct ideology,

This is everywhere. Other towns with "more successful music scenes" just have a bigger population of people still going out to see bands and fully invested in and finding their identity in a music scene.
Posted: Sep 5, 2007 1:04 am

I played a piano today
Does that make me a Memphis Musician?
.......oh how I wish
Posted: Sep 5, 2007 4:06 am

Only if it was Marc Cohn.
Posted: Sep 5, 2007 11:23 pm

who the fuck is that?
Posted: Sep 6, 2007 2:42 am

Some dude who can't whistle for shit
Posted: Sep 6, 2007 4:36 am | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

Other towns with "more successful music scenes" just have a bigger population of people still going out to see bands and fully invested in and finding their identity in a music scene.

Thank you!!!

Also, MemphisRap.com is also shutting down for a while, though dude says it will be back with more features, etc. ...

http://commercialappeal-web.com/scene/2007/09/05/memphisrapcom-shuttin g-down/
Posted: Sep 6, 2007 5:39 am

who the fuck is that?

Ma'am he is tonight.
Posted: Sep 8, 2007 10:14 pm

Ma'am he is tonight.

I'm a man!
BITCH!
Posted: Oct 17, 2008 10:43 pm

hellbumping this thread because isn't it amazing what a difference a year makes
Posted: Oct 20, 2008 10:37 am

I'm a man!
BITCH!

No I'm not.
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®