Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Very interesting info about Memphis music
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 5:06 pm

Read all the way back through Sunday August 12th...

http://smartcitymemphis.blogspot.com/

If Live From Memphis goes under, it'll be a crying shame.

Makes me wonder if it's time for all music and arts related entities to get together and find out where the money is going at the "music commission".

The commission web site is a sham and LFM is miles ahead of anything the commission has going on.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 8:49 pm

My guess is "Up the music commissioner's nose".
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:15 pm

where the money is going at the "music commission".

BEALE STREET MUSIC FEST
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:30 pm

Goddamit. I'll be the first in line to do something to help out Chris.

LFM RULES!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:38 pm

I'll be the first in line to do something to help out Chris

He's done more to promote music,film etc than anybody I know.

This is serious stuff folks.
I've got a shitload of friends in the UK and Europe and they ALL dig on LFM.

Methinks all of the label owners, studios, musicians and club owners need to unite like never before.

I'd be willing to bet that with the monies the commission has pissed away in salaries, LFM could get more return than Ray Fleming ever dreamed of....all that MTV and VH1 bullshit.

It's pitchfork and firestick time folks....BUT...unless it's a unified front, it's a waste of time.

I've said it before....don't rock the boat unless you're willing to tip the boat over, right it, bail out the water and row like a sonofabitch.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 9:22 pm

I'll hold my breath to see if all the people who post stuff on LFM would pony up some dough to keep it going. OK, maybe I won't ...
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 9:24 pm

Obviously it's not a long term solution (nowhere near it) but if we need to have a benefit show for LFM I'm in.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 9:34 pm

I'll hold my breath to see if all the people who post stuff on LFM would pony up some dough to keep it going. OK, maybe I won't ...

The picture is way bigger than that.
Chris is trying to help the whole arts community...and what he does is very important...we need the City and County to realize LFM is THE site and the monies required will reap benefits for everyone.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 9:58 pm

Would it be heresy to sell ads on LFM? Gets a ton of traffic.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 10:02 pm

Posted: Aug 16, 2007 10:07 pm

The picture is way bigger than that.
Chris is trying to help the whole arts community...

I get an good proportion of my website hits from Live from Memphis.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 10:57 pm

Yeah I link to it all the time from my blog. I just think we're barking up the wrong tree trying to get one of these quangos (music foundation/music commission) to help fund it. Frankly, not enough people in this one-horse town seem to care about the arts and musics.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 11:02 pm

I've been a musician here for a long time. I've never used or had a need for either the foundation or the commission. The best results I've ever seen were DIY events.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 7:09 am

this is going to make me so unpopular -oh, wait a minute...

I think Chris' site is the bomb too - but it needs its own revenue stream.

There has definitely been talk about incorporating Live from Memphis as the official Memphis site - but the numbers mentioned to me to make that happen were astronomical.

I may be wrong - I have not asked Chris what the rate is - but I have the numbers quoted on pretty good authority.

I mean it is a kick ass site - but I still don't understand what it does that Myspace doesn't do for free?

I mean other than list Justice's phone number

Name: Final Solutions
Email: justicenatchez@yahoo.com
Phone: 901.722.0095

I'm just askin! Don't hate me Chris!
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 7:12 am | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

Oh and I have never been a musician - however, when I went to the music foundation with a presentation about a project I wanted to make happen - they ponied up 2000 bucks. Next year I'm asking for 5000.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 9:06 am

but I still don't understand what it does that Myspace doesn't do for free?

Quality, my dear. Quality.

when I went to the music foundation with a presentation about a project I wanted to make happen - they ponied up 2000 bucks. Next year I'm asking for 5000.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 9:09 am

We want Iron Maiden. Not the Gin Blossoms.

Chris, sending you an e-mail.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 12:55 pm

but I still don't understand what it does that Myspace doesn't do for free?

Christ on a bike....I won't even address that...although Jack Stands did...

It's not about the web site...it's about having someone at the helm who knows wtf is going on and has fresh ideas.
I talked to Chris for 5 freakin minutes at the Memphis pops fest....and in those five minutes, he managed to succinctly lay out SOME of his ideas in a fashion that made me want to help.
THAT got me to thinking about the Flemings and the Schillings....and wtf they did or did not do.
ALL I'm saying is that I wonder if that money could be spent wiser than it has in the past.

It all depends on if local labels, recording studios,bands and artists want to have some say in what our government does in our names....the Memphis musicians....maybe there is nothing that they need or want the government to do...I don't know.

Chris just got me to thinking...that's all...and that can be dangerous.
I smell smoke.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 5:24 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

Christ on a bike....I won't even address that...although Jack Stands did...

why not? believe it or not, I'm not an idiot and if its not obvious to me there may be others out there that need to be schooled too. If you want to help Chris, then help sell his idea without being alienating.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 5:25 pm

Jesus, that Memphis Music site is beyond pathetic.

I do think, to a certain extent, Myspace did part of the Live from Memphis business model bigger and better--or at least spread it to more people.* But what LFM has done better than anybody is get out and record shows that only a few people would hear and put them out on the web where they have a potentially much larger audience. IMHO, Memphis' strength is its abundance of great live bands in all genres.** But live music is, of course, fleeting. So giving people a taste of what they're missing is the best possible way to support Memphis musicians. And if they can then turn around and sell your CD or link to someone who is selling your CD, both of which LFM already does, that doesn't hurt either.

But the simplest reason why the city, specifically the music commission, should give LFM money is that Chris is doing what the music commission web site should be doing, but they're doing it better and they already have a name carved out for themselves. Whether or not we should even have a music commission is a debatable proposition, but the fact is that we DO have one, and it is spending taxpayer money in a way that is not helping the music scene, whether it's Midtown rock or South Memphis rap. LFM, on the other hand, is helping. LFM is doing part of the Music Commission's job for free--no, not for free. At a loss. There's money set aside to promote Memphis music and LFM has proven that they can do that job better than the people who are currently getting the money. And the amount of money is not, in the big picture, very much. Not when you have a city government who will give away $6 million to build a parking garage that makes money for a private company and pisses away $29 million building a fiber optic network no one uses (except, ironically, Live from Memphis) and then gives the proceeds of the sale away to private investors who won't even let themselves be named in the press. Here is something that is already proven to work and costs less than the Porta-Potties at Memphis in May. Pay them already!

*IIRC, LFM and Myspace started about the same time. LFM certainly was on my radar before Myspace.

*except live rap. What is up with that? Every live rap act I've seen from Memphis has sucked balls. And I know we have good rap here. We've even got Academy Award-winning rap here! And yet, even under ideal conditions Three-Six Mafia live is painful to watch. I don't get it.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 6:02 pm

believe it or not, I'm not an idiot

Did I call you a idiot?

Why do YOU have a website beside your myspace acct?

You cannot do all of the things that is on LFM on myspace.
You know that. You've been a presence on the web long enough and you know ten times more about it than I ever will...but c'mon...think about it.

and col bat guano said it all WAY better than I have been able to articulate it.

And Rachel let me again say, I know your not a idiot and I did not call you one.

Let's not snipe at one another. The purpose of this thread is to find out how others feel about LFM and the Music Commission...and to do something as a unified front. Division will keep this ANYTHING from happening.

Dig?
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 6:12 pm

myspace is a generic front with no, come on, say it, soul. it's ugly, unwieldy, and obnoxious. maybe it's so ubiquitous that no one notices any more. i dunno.

LFM is a media creator, not just an aggregator. there's a BIG difference.

Spreading the info is important, but it has to be created first.

For all their youtube clips on the memphis music commission site, did they create any of that? pay for it? are they just piggybacking on the backs of people actually doing the work as well?

hey, they're a sponsor for gonerfest 4, so they're getting involved on a lot of different levels. and they have evil army as a myspace buddy. but there's a lot more that must be done.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 6:33 pm | Edited by: Highway Star

and by the way, that's not my phone number, that's goner's phone number. that is my e-mail however if anybody needs to contact me about the solutions playing your barmitzvah or whatever.

and christopher is only doing part of what he wants to do now because he doesn't have the funding or the cooperation needed to do what he could. and he still is running an awesome site!
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 6:52 pm

For all their youtube clips on the memphis music commission site, did they create any of that? pay for it? are they just piggybacking on the backs of people actually doing the work as well?

This is rhetorical, right?
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 8:04 pm

substantiated rumors are flying that the music commission's funding will be cut by the city next year dramatically, so don't get any high-minded ideas about their money.

LFM is a completely made-by-hand website built with care for this creative community to utilize as they see fit. Christopher has not only funded that project out of his own pocket but coded it himself. He sought to provide a cost-free (and at the time, sorely needed and missing) resource for people seeking crew positions, contact information for bands, and to connect the threads of our creative community.

It's completely fucked that people who have made Christopher promises to advertise with LFM or help support him have backed out or failed to follow up. I think he's been far too generous with his time and for all the respect it's earned him, it's very expensive to continue operating.

I've personally benefitted from being listed there, been called for a number of jobs by production companies and gotten two good jobs from it. It would be a shame if it went away.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 8:26 pm

substantiated rumors are flying that the music commission's funding will be cut by the city next year dramatically

If true, that tells me all I need to know about what our local government think about arts in this town.

That being said, is it time for "Live From Memphis: The Concert!" ??
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 8:31 pm

i'm posting this rumor because i hope that by spreading it, the city will instead increase their funding just so it looks like i don't know what i'm talking about.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 8:32 pm

That being said, is it time for "Live From Memphis: The Concert!" ??

I believe there is something in the works. . .
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 8:41 pm

If so, I'd like to be involved. Let me know how I can help.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 8:47 pm

JS, check yer SOB email. .
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 8:48 pm

Cool. I'll check it the very minute I get home. Thanks, man!
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 8:50 pm

If so, I'd like to be involved. Let me know how I can help.

Seconded. Let me know what I can do.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 9:02 pm

I believe there is something in the works. . .

I'll talk to ya Saturday night Jeremy...I deffo want to help.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 11:05 pm

I'm not saying anyone called me an idiot - who would do that? You don't know my voice well enough yet to know that most of my comments are made with an eyeroll.

I'm saying that I think my question is legitimate. If we're having a discussion why not address all concerns?

If being part of LFM is so important to you guys - would you pay for the opportunity?

It's a super cool site - there is no doubt! But there are a lot of bands that haven't updated their profiles in two years - probably about the same time they started their myspace profile.

Look, the number that was thrown out to me that that Chris was willing to sell his site to The Memphis Music Commission was $250,000. The site they had built cost 10,000. The Music Commissions yearly budget is $125,000 - so can you see how this is all not just black and white? Plus there is a whole world of musicians and communities out there that want their share of the pot.

Are any of you guys going down to the music commissions open meetings to see whats going on? Cause I haven't seen you there. I'm not saying I'm on board with everything that they do - but I do think that is all a lot more complicated than the average armchair quarterback realizes. And Memphis Music means something a little different to everyone - especially the people that make up the commissioners.

And Live from Memphis still only services a specific genre and scene - Tell Chris to go record some gospel choirs and watch the donations start rolling in.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 11:17 pm

Can I ask again...is it hard to throw up a google ad account on LFM? At least it can help cover some bandwidth costs. i can help (free)

can the solutions play my barmitzfa next year? i'm turning 40. party at tortugas on germantown parkway. carnitas!!!
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 11:18 pm

Why do YOU have a website beside your myspace acct?

my site gets 5 times the traffic LFM does and therefore gives featured artists 5 times the exposure - but I'm not asking the commission to sponsor it.

NOT THAT I DON'T KNOW THEY ARE TWO DIfFERENT THINGS.

But if the directory is such a benefit to the artist - then why not have them pay a membership fee.

And let's just be bold and get down to the nuts and bolts of the situation if everyone is really serious -

Is there really a chance that LFM is gonna go offline?

IF So - why?

Is it the cost of hosting - cause we can get that donated.

Is it the cost of hiring someone to oversee the site? Cause let's get the people using it and that it's so beneficial for to donate their time to this too.

If Chris wants to just be paid for the site because he spent a lot of time on it - even though it wasn't contracted work - well, can't you see how the situation is a little weird?

I mean this whole conversation is really kind of convoluted.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 11:20 pm

.is it hard to throw up a google ad account on LFM?

You have to be getting 1000 if click thrus a month for this to be any substantial amount - which pretty much means you need to be getting millions of hits
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 11:47 pm

christopher is only doing part of what he wants to do now because he doesn't have the funding or the cooperation needed to do what he could

aren't we all?
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 12:35 am

Ok, one more thing - cause I am invested in making Memphis a successful music city as much as anybody

If you got to http://mallofmemphis.com you can read a little story about how The Mall of Memphis is the largest mall in the United States to ever have to shut it's doors. It wasn't the crime or the anchor stores that pulled out that necessarily led to it's demise - it was probably most likely it's name.

The fear created by the media was only reinforced by seeing these things. Even though they were quickly removed, the PR damage was done.

Ron Filbert, the mall's last manager, said it was big tenants' "business decisions" that killed it: in 2001, Dillard's and J. C. Penney left. "I think it was plain and simple," he said. "The majors left us," though "the downturn in the economy hurt us, too."

"Crime," he said, "had nothing to do with it."

Mr. Filbert was wrong. Crime did have something to do with it. Perhaps not in the way people were thinking though. Yes, the Mall of Memphis did have a lot of crime. The area continues to have crime now even though the mall is gone. That's life in Memphis. But if you take a look at the Rhodes College study on the demise of the mall, you might draw a different conclusion.

Based on study information, the Mall of Memphis was safer than the other local malls compared in almost every category. Why then, did only the Mall of Memphis rise and fall so quickly? There was always a higher awareness of crimes in and around the mall, because the media covered those crimes in detail. You didn't hear much about crime and the other malls. The media created a "perception" of higher danger, usually with the dramatic tag line "Mall of Murder".

Hickory Ridge Mall, Southland Mall and Raleigh Springs Mall may have been spared such unfair reporting on their problems simply because their name wasn't as easy to work the word murder into for the early edition. The mall might stand even still if it had been named "Nonconnah Galleria" or similar instead of it's unfortunate choice. Look at the study and draw your own conclusions.

Point is - if we all just sit around posting on message boards that The Memphis Music Commission and Foundation suck - with no legitimate complaints or understanding of their mission - then we may just be setting ourselves up for a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 2:03 am

I'm going to fucking freak out.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 2:08 am

serenity now.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 2:27 am

why? can't we have a discussion without anyone freaking out?
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 2:29 am

Why do you do this to me Rachel? Why? Are you being paid by Dee?
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 3:12 am

thats low.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 3:46 am

Look

If someone wants to do a fundraiser for LFM - I am on board - I will do anything you ask.

But if the insinuation is that if LFM closes down it's the Music Commissions fault - I'm not jumping on that bandwagon.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 5:01 am

LFM as i understand it was created and intended to be cost-free to the people who utilize it, a way to generate income and opportunity for the city and to encourage people to come here to pursue creative opportunities. Over time, LFM has developed into an invaluable and useful resource for people, its not out of the scope of reality to hope (and expect) that the city which it has serviced for free and it represents would expend some portion of its financing budget to help keep it going.

if people want this resource to stick around, we know what has to happen: we have to pitch in and find a way to generate operating costs that will keep the site from going away if it matters to people. it seems like that's already happening and people definitely care.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 5:13 am | Edited by: indiepop

the one thing that i don't hear from anyone who officially represents our city regarding the arts (and i mean the overall arts, not just music) is any spirit of cooperation. they have seperate commissions for music, film, art, and yet none of these so-called commissions seem to work together in any form of harmony, yet each harbors some kind of reliance or alliance with the other (the notable exception being our film commission who have done an incredible job over the years).

i do blame the city for appointing people who haven't shown their work in the margins. so long as this administration is running things, i can only expect more of the same. this administration, in the face of serious financial crisis, does not see how funding our various arts commissions are vital to our city's survival.

the way our esteemed city's official representatives treat the arts is paralleled by the way in which they have treated live from memphis. maybe they like it, but they can't seem to all agree to take a slice of their pies and invest in a centralized resource that is already built for them. that's shame on them.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 5:51 am | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

EJ, you are articulate as ever - but again - let's not get off track.

There is a difference between what it costs to run LFM - which I would be willing to bet someone in Memphis would be willing to contribute versus what the selling price of the site is...
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:31 am

Many of you speak about the commission as if it were a damned welfare line. Quit crying, get off your asses, and do the best you can.

I'm a big supporter of what Chris has done with LFM, but anyone who expects a project like that to be subsidized is blind. The site by itself (in its current capacity) has no potential to generate revenue on a meaningful scale for anyone, especially its operator. That doesn't mean it isn't valuable, or that it isn't essential. Still, it's the sort of site where effort and cash only flow in one direction. Why should the city pay for it? Seems like the artists who benefit from it should support it in its entirity.

In short, the commission has no duty to get people off their asses to see your shitty band, or to give anyone money for being in a shitty band, or running a website that caters mostly to younger non-tourists who don't have deep pockets.

The commissions goals are oriented entirely towards getting tourists to bring their credit cards to Beale Street. They don't give a fuck about real Memphis music, and we shouldn't expect them to. That's up to us.

If you feel like Chris is doing something imortant, give something back. Help out by being part of a benifit show, make a donation to him of time or cash, or just buy the dude a beer. But for God's sake, stop crying about how the local government doesn't know how to give handouts to local rockers. Gimme a fucking break!
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:40 am

Joel? Can we make babies together?

On another note....

Let's Get Together...Tuesday, August 21...Details

To all musicians and music industry folks here in Memphis...the Memphis Musician's Advisory Council (MMAC) will be getting together every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month from 5pm-7pm at Mo's Edge Coffee Shop just to network, hang out and discuss some of the issues effecting our local music community...

These get togethers are informal and OPEN to ALL GENRES and ALL AGES...

Here is a good topic for our first one on Tues. August 21 from 5-7pm...

"With the huge talent pool that is available in Memphis across all genres are there currently enough local industry outlets to successfully market and distribute Memphis Music to the world???"

I personally think there is...comes to Mo's to ask me why...Hope to see you there...Billy Gibson /MMAC Chairman

(Oh and Nita said all drinks are 2 for 1 from 5-7pm !!!)
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 9:03 am

Yep, EJ. I didn't know that was you 'till Rachel spilled the beans.

However. I ain't talked to LFM Chris. Somebody threw out a Nov. 7 date. I honestly don't know what this means. Untill he says to me, "Man,
I'ma gettin' ready to close my doors", I say bs on all of this.
Chris and Sarah and anybody who steps into that place (their coffee, by the way, is excellent) downtown, I don't know no better.

In the meantime, I'll say something else:
I've never had a need for the "official" commission. I played gigs. Sometimes we got paid. Or not. Sometimes I bought my own drinks, full price (which is a goddamn shame for a bar; Shame on that bar. Shame.) and usually played last.

There is a problem (brought up on this very board). People have to pay for a fucking p.a. What the fuck? I understand the Music Commission came up with some kind of Insurance deal for "unemployed" musicians.
Let's cut through the crap. I never needed to use this service. I'll put a dollar on out of every musician in town, 75% might have a way to provide themselves. Sorry to be so cynical, but most dudes got jobs. You hear me?
Granted. Everybody needs health care. People should have it, period.
But what did we just have? A benefit for the Church Health Center (been there a few times as a "musician" without being on the roll of "Commission")
Anyway, I'm not just a musician in town, but, If I can do any of this stuff myself, why the fuck am I paying taxes for this "project"? If what I pay as a homeowner in Memphis goes to the "Memphis Music Mentality That Makes Up The Memphis In May Festival", then "WHY THE FUCK AM I PAYING FOR THE GODDAMN GIN BLOSSOMS FOR?" FUCKING IRON MAIDEN, YOU GIANT TOOLS WITH NO IDEA.
O.k, Commission,
why not fucking give into some fees to the clubs, so the band can clear ALL the door? There's a thread here on this board, made up of musicians who play out. Money comes through that door; PA is paid off by the band and it's cover charge.
Commission, pay the bars a minimal fee. Let the rockers take their money home. As far as I am concerned, that makes business opportunities for the ton of folk who can do sound, regardless of "what kind of PA" is there. Pay a dude, $10 an hour to run down the bad XLR for the night. Otherwise, if it's bigger, charge the band more for bringing too much shit.

I don't know what any of this means, except, let's give it up for the people who do this shit for free.
We just document it.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 9:07 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Who the fuck asked for LFM to be subsidized?

Maybe I missed it somewhere.

I just think LFM is doing WAY more important work than the commission.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 9:13 am

Let's Get Together...Tuesday, August 21...Details

Yeah, I read that shit on myspace two days ago, too, "Cut'n'Paste".

Even funnier, they didn't put an address on it.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 9:51 am

"Who the fuck asked for LFM to be subsidized?"

... everyone who wants money to flow from the music commission (or any other puplic source) to LFM.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 1:12 pm

It wasn't the crime or the anchor stores that pulled out that necessarily led to it's demise - it was probably most likely it's name.

Do you really believe this?
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 2:07 pm

It's about more than the website. I think our community can do a fundraiser as often as needed for LFM if that is the case.
It's about having someone like Chris who is on fire with good ideas that reap benefits for both the City and the local arts community.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 4:42 pm

Many of you speak about the commission as if it were a damned welfare line. Quit crying, get off your asses, and do the best you can.

civic arts commissions in major cities exist for the purpose of providing opportunity, as well as funding, for the purpose of generating valued works within the arts community.

what exactly is ours providing funding for, Jerry Springer: The Musical? i don't get where these commissions we've elected are helping anyone out except as a way to spread the money around on paper to justify what they're on about.

this directly relates to the LFM issue because we can legitimately ask what the commission(s) have done with their money while LFM has ,i'm pretty sure, been overlooked for funding requests (not for sale of the site).

Live From Memphis has a developed an online archive of material that marks a beginning. if the intent was to capture a certain period in our history's arts development, the hopes of continuing to do so for the long run is the result.

here's a thought: what about some of that library funding? LFM could be an extension of the Memphis Public Library. that would satisfy the city's seemingly endless need for justification of expenditure.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 5:31 pm | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

Theatre sucks.

Let's unite the punx and skinz so they can go beat up the thespians.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 6:49 pm

i'm just saying. JS:TM is probably not the best example of what i'm talking about but it came to mind when i was writing that.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 6:58 pm

Actually, a better example of something money was wasted on might be something like, oh, the BurnLounge online store that the Music Commission purchased a mogul package to join (a $500.00 investment). So far, the store didn't generate sales necessary to justify the expenditure.

Now that BurnLounge is under investigation by the Federal Trade Commission because it's a pyramid scheme, the company has eliminated their "mogul package" and aren't refunding anyone who bought a mogul package. There's a sizeable chunk of money which looks like it has gone to waste.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 7:59 pm

Why don't you guys take all your great ideas to the people who can put them in motion?

If you care enough to voice it here - then do what Golightly suggests and band together and get your ideas heard.

Chris probably would make a great music commissioner - if the only scene he had to deal with was ours - but thats not the case - and the music that actually generates real money for the city isn't anyone on this boards - and thats what the music commission is about - like it or not - not helping local musicians - but instead figuring out how to generate more tourist dollars - and until our local faves make a name for themselves outside of Memphis - none of this is gonna change.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:19 pm

i'm going to exclude myself from this suggestion because rachel is, hopefully, painfully aware that i've raised these concerns already to people who can put them in motion. in the methods i've employed, i've never gotten a result. your mileage may vary, of course, but i guess i'll go to a music commission meeting so i can't say i've never tried that.

but now, regarding what you've said, the message that i guess we're supposed to take away is that if what you're doing doesn't generate money and tourism for the city today then the city shouldn't dedicate resources to it. ok, fair enough. i think that's a pretty tunnel vision approach to the arts, but i guess it works for whoever's in charge.

i think without the city's support, the eventuality is that whatever is being done will either bloom without the city's help (at which time the city will magically step in and act like they've supported it all along and try to take credit for it), the creator(s) will leave memphis and never look back, or whatever is being done will die off.

we have local faves who have made a name for themselves outside of memphis, and it seems like there's this pattern where they always end up having to get the hell out of here in order to make a living at what they do.

maybe LFM has to end up like Stax, completely disappear before anyone appreciates what it is. that would be a crying shame.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:31 pm | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

it was created and intended to be cost-free

There is no such thing as cost-free. Ever.

But for God's sake, stop crying about how the local government doesn't know how to give handouts to local rockers. Gimme a fucking break!

But but but but ....
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:34 pm

you left off to the people who utilize it and that was my point. of course it's not cost-free, but someone has to pay for it in order for it to exist. right now, that person is christopher reyes.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 9:17 pm

If funding for the site's operation is all that's needed, that's easy. There are dozens of people who would line up to help. I'm one of them.

On the other hand, expecting the city (taxpayers) to buy or underwrite your efforts is a bad joke. The commission exists to bring money to Memphis, not to give handouts to local efforts unrelated to tourism. If you want to get something done about it, perhaps you should focus your efforts on raising funds from private interests instead of complaining to the most despondant and broke bunch of gonerific musicians in the city.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 9:31 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

Do you really believe this?

I think it's part of the overall answer - hell yeah

just like with what we are discussing here - I watch people constantly make up their minds about something without knowing all the facts

so sure - I do believe that folks get up in arms without taking a moment to step back and have certain claims validated before they go off all gung ho

um, iraq war anyone?
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 9:44 pm

The commission exists to bring money to Memphis, not to give handouts to local efforts unrelated to tourism.

See, that's a fallacious inference. In fact, Live From Memphis offers a resource that generates a reliable face on the web for Memphis as a live music destination. LFM can, and has, generated money for Memphis and Memphians in terms of people being able to easily contact individuals/bands/etc for jobs. Aside from their archival footage, LFM offers anyone an opportunity to connect with qualified, experienced people for their projects without having to do anything more than go to the website.

Like I said before, I've gotten two excellent jobs after being contacted by people who found me on LFM. I know that there are bands who get contacted for shows by out-of-towners through LFM. Isn't that what our arts commissions are hoping to do, to encourage proliferation of the arts community by finding ways to draw tourism and commerce to our city by connecting those who have the work with those who want the work?
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 9:48 pm

I believe what your general argument is (I think). However, just think this Rhodes study on the Mall of Memphis is more of the exact same thing you are frustrated about (people making up their minds w/o all the "facts"). I could not connect to the website you linked, but I think there was actually way more than the singular issue of crime and how the media portrayed the mall in conjuction with crime responsible for its closing...the concept of the mall itself is an anachronism and that area of town circa 1981 (heydey) was generally more acceptable for all people to be hanging out.

I would look more at the tendency of Memphis to keep spreading itself out and opening more and more malls as the main explanation of that mall's demise. Plus, it was an ugly piece of shit that was aesthetically unpleasing to begin with. I worked there for a year of my life; the place shook all the time like it was going to fall down too.

But, yeah, anyway, back onto the original topic for y'all cos I don't even know a thing about it.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 10:02 pm

Oh and I have never been a musician - however, when I went to the music foundation with a presentation about a project I wanted to make happen - they ponied up 2000 bucks. Next year I'm asking for 5000.

Rotten on the inside!

Lots of females do this, and don't even know how to sit in front of a player piano and read "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on the music sheet!

Awful!
You should be ashamed of yourself!
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 10:48 pm

I would look more at the tendency of Memphis to keep spreading itself out and opening more and more malls as the main explanation of that mall's demise. Plus, it was an ugly piece of shit that was aesthetically unpleasing to begin with. I worked there for a year of my life; the place shook all the time like it was going to fall down too.

but you prove my point - ask most people and they would say it was crime - cause that's the perception.

My point is I just think w should be more weary of spreading shortsighted theories without realizing their detrimental impact.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 10:59 pm

I am sure crime had a lot to do with it, but yeah, you right...the other things were the simple facts that neighborhood had disintegrated in many ways, other malls that were smaller opened in other areas and unless that area suddenly was gentrified, there is not enough of an economic base in that neighborhood to support a mall of that size...and thank god for that because huge concrete shopping malls are gross.

I saw that site and it is sort of sad that whomever developed it can deny that white flight isn't one of the reasons that area is what it is. Memphis is a study in white flight if one exists. It isn't that simple of course, but to ignore the racial aspect of how development occurs there is silly.

Anyway, I guess I should read about this other thing as I still don't understand what LFM is etc.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 11:54 pm | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

This idea of "support" is misplaced. It ain't about whatever jerkoff fly-by-night quango is tossing around a couple grand here and there. There are simply not enough people in this town who care about music, art, film or anything else to sustain a cultural scene here. Likewise, there are not enough people with money to sustain a cultural scene here. I'm sorry, I'm Negative Nelly, I know, but that's just the facts, folks. The entire music industry is cratering around the world; people are not buying as much music -- whether on mp3, reel-to-reel, 8-track, sheet music, piano rolls, whatever -- as they did back in the 60s and 70s. they never will again. They will play World of Warcraft or watch TV or something. It's over! enjoy what we have here; we will never be Austin. We won't even be Detroit, not by a long shot, even though Tha D has worse crime, worse schools, worse everything.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 12:22 am

What he said. ^^^
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 12:39 am

And the good news is:

You can make a living as a working musician if you're good and that's what you are dedicated to doing. Hell, I've been able to create a way to get paid just to hang out in bars and listen to music - so you can't say opportunity is not out there.

However, do bands that play twice a month only in Memphis really deserve the city to be making an effort to get behind them? I don't think so - and that's mainly what we have here. The bands and musicians that have gotten their asses out on the road (i.e. Lucero, Giant Bear, Tim Regan) are doing better and better every year. In order to push Memphis forward, you can't just focus on Memphis - you have to look at the big picture. No city is stagnant - things change and often do pretty quickly.

If you want someone to believe in you, you have to be somebody worth believing in. You might be selling them a dream, but that's what people are always gonna buy.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 12:43 am

Thanks, Afterschool Special.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 12:46 am

You might think it's a dream, but then you see the lone feather on the nightstand, and you ask yourself, "or was it?"
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 12:47 am

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 1:54 am

you have to look at the big picture.

I got your big picture right here.

Well, it's not as big as I remember it...
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 3:47 am

lord of the rings
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 6:34 am

do not click on this.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 3:46 pm

do not click on this.
in bed.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 5:34 pm

Well, it's not as big as I remember it...
i also seem to remember him wearing a larger wedding band on his left hand
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 6:25 pm

And the good news is:

You can make a living as a working musician if you're good and that's what you are dedicated to doing. Hell, I've been able to create a way to get paid just to hang out in bars and listen to music - so you can't say opportunity is not out there.

However, do bands that play twice a month only in Memphis really deserve the city to be making an effort to get behind them? I don't think so - and that's mainly what we have here. The bands and musicians that have gotten their asses out on the road (i.e. Lucero, Giant Bear, Tim Regan) are doing better and better every year. In order to push Memphis forward, you can't just focus on Memphis - you have to look at the big picture. No city is stagnant - things change and often do pretty quickly.

If you want someone to believe in you, you have to be somebody worth believing in. You might be selling them a dream, but that's what people are always gonna buy.

i' ve been willing to let you slide on alot of things, but this is an official fuck you, you haven't got a clue.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 6:29 pm

Yes, I think the city should subsidize LFM. This is the same city government who--I won't use the term "defrauded", how about "seriously bent the rules to the detriment of"--its own taxpayers to the tune of $6 million to build a parking garage for the worst professional basketball team in the Western Hemisphere. $250,000--if that number is indeed accurate--is less than 4% of that amount. This is about the amount of money the city regularly spends on hiring consultants to figure out how to spend more money.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 8:07 pm

I'm not talking about a "handout". The city clearly has an interest in promoting Memphis music on the web. Live from Memphis is doing it better than they are. Building up a web site, creating a user base, collecting information about those users, and then selling the site to someone with deeper pockets than you is a legitimate business model that plenty of other sites have followed. It's not like the city wouldn't be getting something for its money. LFM is an economic development tool. The numbers aren't as big as some other municipal economic development programs, but nevertheless, as indiepop has noted, it does help Memphis' creative class find jobs. It can be part of the sales pitch for attracting young, educated people to the city (who will hopefully stay long enough to become older educated citizens with good jobs who will buy homes and contribute to the tax base).

Maybe there is only one of the many Memphis music scenes represented on LFM. So what? Does that mean with the proper funding and attention it can't cover the other scenes, too? And why isn't the Midtown rocker scene important enough to get some cultural monies? How long have we been doing this, anyway? Can you date the Midtown rocker scene back to the founding of the Antenna club, or does it go back to Big Star? Or does it go back [url=http://www.elvis.com/]even farther[url]?
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 9:14 pm

the thing about it is, col., the people involved with LFM have been hired as videographers for a wide variety of musical events here in memphis, everything from Elvis week to the North American Folk Alliance conference to whatever is happening in Midtown to NARAS events.

to say that LFM only represents one type of music or one area of town may seem accurate on the surface. underneath, there's a vital archive of material that has already been paid for by corporate or individual sponsors to serve as a document of what has already been accomplished here in the last few years.

aside from the music part, there's the Lil' Film Festival, IndieMemphis, and others that LFM is directly involved with creating or investing time in. like, hey... GonerFest!

and mark, i hear what you're saying. but the creative class that you seem to think doesn't exist in or can't be sustained in memphis is really just missing two things: it doesn't have either a true benefactor or the tools to allow it to grow. detractors want us to believe it doesn't exist and can't survive, but we've all seen it. the creative class definitely exists and it's larger than perhaps you would like to think. we have a much tougher uphill battle to fight because there's been a curse on the creative class here for a very long time.

but the truth about memphis is that it's just oppressive enough that anyone can create fascinating works here.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 10:59 pm

is it possible that LFM could be set up as a 501-c3 or 501-c4? then they could apply for grants and fundraise on a much grander scale and the city wouldn't have to be involved as much. what about setting up a nonprofit music board/committee that isn't officially underwritten by the city, and having LFM be a branch of that? one thing that i don't think i've seen talked about here (i could be wrong, lots of scanning going on) is the fact that if the city were to underwrite LFM, they could change the scope of the website/project entirely. i doubt that the city would throw a bunch of money at something that they can't control with an iron fist.

i'm a constantly homesick ex-pat and i really, really hate seeing how this potentially productive conversation keeps getting derailed over and over again by people sniping at each other. it's the same conversation memphis folks keep having, with no results that seem to do much good. let's talk problems (we all know there are many) and most importantly, let's talk solutions (there have to be some). and there's a laundry list of obstacles that haven't even been touched yet, like how subpar so much of the local media is, lack of decent public transportation, etc.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 11:13 pm

is it possible that LFM could be set up as a 501-c3 or 501-c4?

i think this has probably been discussed. i don't speak for chris, but i think there's a good chance that he's just so busy with things which actually generate him revenue on which to live that he doesn't have the time necessary to pursue this, and many other, ends he would like to.

LFM seems to me one of those projects that a person develops when they have the desire, the personal time and resources in their life to make come to life. Then, like with all of us, life happens and things become complicated. We have to do things we don't necessarily want to do to pay the rent.

let's talk problems (we all know there are many) and most importantly, let's talk solutions (there have to be some).

funding and organization are the solution to most of the problems we're talking about.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 11:13 pm

I think the real LFM issue is being overlooked here.

Like I said, I am pretty positive that discussions to absorb LFM have happened. And that the commission was on board with spending x amount of money to keep it going - but to my knowledge - the problem is the sales price.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Building up a web site, creating a user base, collecting information about those users, and then selling the site to someone with deeper pockets than you is a legitimate business model that plenty of other sites have followed.

Ok, but those sites were purchased because the buyer intends to generate income from them.

Like I said - LFM needs a revenue stream...

If it's as useful as EJ says - why not pay a buck a month? There are 1000's of profiles right?

When I lived in NYC I paid to be part of several sites that offered useful job listings when I worked freelance.

We can keep sitting here and believe that the city should purchase the site as an investment in the cities music scene - but I just don't really see that happening (of course, i could be wrong) so, I am just trying to figure out a way that if LFM is really in actuality in trouble of being shut down - for that not to happen.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 11:30 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Chris hasn't said a word here, so I'll take your price argument with a grain of salt, and as specualtion.
Price may be a factor, but it may have been a decision to not get involved with a commission that does less for Memphis Music than the work Chris has put into promotion. Why sell the site, only to have it dumbed down.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 11:39 pm | Edited by: indiepop

Price may be a factor, but it may have been a decision to not get involved with a commission that does less for Memphis Music than the work Chris has put into promotion. Why sell the site, only to have it dumbed down.

Again, I don't speak for Chris but I think I heard bells ringing when I read this.

Ok, but those sites were purchased because the buyer intends to generate income from them

How does Flickr or YouTube generate income through means other than ad revenue?
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 12:14 am

I can't be the only one enjoying the irony underlying all this mess. Do people really want the dumbest city government in history involved with their rock and roll? I certainly don't. That would be the fastest and most definate way to screw it all up. The scope of LFM is aimed in such a different direction than the goals of the Music Commission. Their responsibility is to bring tourists who are interested in music by dead guys.

If revenue for LFM is such a big problem, raise funds! Host events and charge a cover, sell ads, sell DVD's or downloads of the footage, have a small fee for a profile, etc... Jesus, at least put up a PayPal button so people can make donations. Hint: it's 100% impossible to raise funds by telling people they're not doing enough to help you. To raise funds, you must do the opposite by showing prospective donors how you can help them.

Do you folks actually think that a single person has brought their money to Memphis because they heard an MP3 of a show on LFM? Do these film producers make their decisions to work here based on the artist profiles listed there? Hell no! They chose Memphis because there's no unionization (read: socialism) in the creative industries here and becuase Memphis is ripe with all sorts of talent that will work for peanuts. Head to L.A. or New York and just try to get a decent prod. assistant for a bill a day.

Bottom line is this: nobody is going to pay a single dollar for a website that can't directly generate money. If LFM is to continue, it's up to Chris to find a revenue stream working with the artists, not the damn government.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 12:42 am

none that I know of - ads are a great idea - one that I am sure Chris has thought of - but let's get specific...

Like I said - Google ads only generate decent income when you have a huge number of hits

So who should advertise?

Who is LFM's audience?

I bet Goner's hits are higher than LFM's daily hits and no one is clamoring to advertise here..

And I thought this whole discussion came up because LFM was gonna shut down if they didn't get some kind of outside funding - and now the theory is that Chris doesn't want to sell?
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 12:52 am | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

it's 100% impossible to raise funds by telling people they're not doing enough to help you. To raise funds, you must do the opposite by showing prospective donors how you can help them.

this is a great point...

Chris and I have sat down together and discussed working on stuff and I think I ticked him off because I didn't make a profile and join the "community" - which was really just an oversight on my part - but also, I never was sold on why I needed an LFM profile in addition like Myspace.

I can't remember the number of hits he told me they were getting but I know it was less than 1000 a day - and unfortunately you just can't generate any income from ads at that rate. EJ, you know this I'm sure.

So again - why is it supposedly coming down? The cost to run it? Or because he doesn't want to deal with it anymore? I have no idea - does anyone have a theory on this?
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 12:54 am

And I thought this whole discussion came up because LFM was gonna shut down if they didn't get some kind of outside funding - and now the theory is that Chris doesn't want to sell?

Not exactly. I think the theory is that if he sold it to our local governing bodies that they would probably screw it up based on their track record.

a project like LFM needs the support of some arm of city government (not even financial necessarily) in order to thrive. why? because those representing the city are the ones going out and looking for revenue streams. If you're a production company or a concert booker or a gallery with a call for artists and you ask one of those people where to find people to fill their needs, among the handful of places they will suggest, i would be that a majority of them will refer to you Live From Memphis.

LFM in and of itself does not have a way to either generate or provide a revenue stream. it provides a RESOURCE for people with a revenue stream. our city still provides funding for resources that have the potential to generate revenue.

LFM isn't an artist looking for a hand out. it's a resource that is substantially more complete and effective than several of the alternatives which currently exist in our city that are similar to it.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 12:56 am | Edited by: Alisa

Bottom line is this: nobody is going to pay a single dollar for a website that can't directly generate money.

Flickr does charge a yearly fee of $25 bucks to be a "pro". There are hundreds of thousands of pro users, and Flickr doesn't "directly generate money". I pay it every year because I can upload more photos to the site if I pay it. Also, it's been very helpful to say..."Go to my Flickr site, you can find tons of examples of my work there."
I also have my own website that I pay for that doesn't really generate any significant monies. But, it's THE useful marketing tool.

I'd be happy to pay a fee to be listed on the LFM site. As a matter of fact, when I signed up my first thought was, "This can't actually be FREE, that's too good to be true."
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:07 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Chris and I have sat down together and discussed working on stuff and I think I ticked him off because I didn't make a profile and join the "community"

How many mirrors do you have in your house?

Queue "I, I, I, I, Me, Me, Me, Me..."
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:15 am

Bottom line is this: nobody is going to pay a single dollar for a website that can't directly generate money. If LFM is to continue, it's up to Chris to find a revenue stream working with the artists, not the damn government.

My point is this...it's not about LFM as a web site...I think our community could keep it going if money is a problem...The point is IDEAS that generate revenue for both the local economy and the artists...and a guy like Chris has plenty of good ideas as well as other people.
AND....what little money there is, where is it going and to who and why?

I'd refer anyone who hasn't read the smartcity link at the top of this post to do so.
The info is quite enlightening.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:19 am

Amen. Memphis history is grown organically. There's a ton of people in this town who give over and over again, money or services for free, who believe in what's happening now and continue to make it happen or document it.
Outside of the comission.
Outside of the press release.
Out of their own pocket.
Chris is one of those guys.
And I salute him for doing it as long as he has.
It's a big middle finger to "the players".
Fuck you, "players".
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:27 am

anyone who uses the term "hits" in 2007 to describe anything having to do with the business of the internet does not have any idea what they're talking about in regards to website traffic and accurate measurement of such. reader beware. now surprise me with some real numbers.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:35 am | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

good god

I'm just sharing my thoughts and experience.

Its not even like I disagree with anything anyone has said - just bringing to the table why it might not be happening the way everyone thinks it should.

geez
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:37 am

that's what I thought.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:38 am

I think you've mis-read "everyone" again.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:42 am

You should invite Sandy Kane to one of your Memphis Music Committeee meetings or whatever it's called.... She'd show 'em some real 'talent'.

http://www.myspace.com/sandykane
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:50 am

I think you've mis-read "everyone" again.

I guess so, cause as far as I can tell only a few of us are talking specifics - which is the only way to move forward - while others want to muck up the whole conversation with negative jabs.

If you think Chris should be running the music commission - well thats great too - but they just named the new head - so that doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon either. If I had known this thread was just a wish list then I would have never out my two cents in - I thought we were discussing how to keep LFM afloat.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 1:59 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

I think the music commission should go away. Tired of my taxes going to it. Just like that stupid trolley on Madison. I didn't want or have a need for it. But I'm still paying for it.
It's not up to you or us to figure out how to keep LFM afloat; it's Chris. And if he needs my help, I'll be set with him. If he thinks it's time to roll it up, it's a damn shame. He did more than the commission ever did. On his own dime. Thank you, Chris.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 2:12 am

I am begging Kajun SS for permission to post the song.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 2:13 am | Edited by: indiepop

I'd refer anyone who hasn't read the smartcity link at the top of this post to do so.
The info is quite enlightening.

i agree about the information. it clearly illuminates the problem that we've all recognized: how can a city like memphis, which is considered a major cultural center for music, have a music community that generates so little revenue?

well, you folks already know it but here's the quote from the article anyways --

When you look back to why we jumped the track, people cite lack of civic support for music, lack of acceptance for musicians who were outsiders to the core, lack of venture capital or financial backing and too many musicians who saw their futures in other places.

But to us, one of the major mistakes that we made as a city was treating our music as if it's all in the rearview mirror. It's part of what we've called the "Memphis as mausoleum" marketing attitude, sending the message that everything exciting took place here between 1950 and 1975.

We've been so successful at selling our heritage, it shifted our focus away from the talent that is still here and the opportunities to reinvent the music industry from a Memphis platform. As a result, we find ourselves languishing in the lowest rung on the music city ladder.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 4:01 am

"a project like LFM needs the support of some arm of city government (not even financial necessarily) in order to thrive."

This is the biggest line of shit I've ever seen.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 4:39 am

Well, I was going to say that....wait a sec, wrong thread.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 9:36 am | Edited by: indiepop

This is the biggest line of shit I've ever seen.

Clearly you didn't get what I meant which means you must be too fucking stupid for me to repeat it to you.

Everyone on your commissions refer people to LFM as a resource. Word of mouth by city officials on behalf of the site to people who have jobs is helpful.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 9:40 am

by doing so, they are supporting LFM in a non-financial way.

good thing i didn't have to get out the lincoln logs for you. jesus h fuck.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 10:14 am

oh i'm sorry, did that seem a little harsh?
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 5:09 pm | Edited by: joel

Sorry, feel free to continue with the insults. Repeating a bad idea in ever-stronger language doesn't make it a good idea.

Mixing gov't and art is even worse than putting fruit in your beer. Since I'm so fucking stupid, I'm going to crawl back under my rock from which I am currently making a very nice living as a part of a gov't-free arts community. If Chris needs help with funding his webpage, I think he has my number. Yourself? Keep throwing insults and blame around and see how much of Das Kapital you manage to raise. Good day, sir.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 5:58 pm | Edited by: indiepop

Joel, I was just biting back at you for needlessly mouthing off since, as you can see, you started the pointless insults by calling something I wrote the "biggest line of shit I've ever seen". If you couldn't find a nice way to say what you meant, maybe you shouldn't have said it at all. Take some responsibility.

As for me throwing insults and blame, this isn't about me or you and I don't want to make it about us. I just want LFM to have the funding to stay around and I'm clearly not alone.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 6:05 pm

anyways fighting, internet, special olympics etc. i hope Chris will respond to this thread since a lot of what's here sort of requires him to move forward. for all we know right now, he's just done with it and doesn't want to talk about it.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 7:04 pm

ok, I've resisted throwing myself into this argument for awhile, but:

I make my living writing about music. god knows how or why, but it's happened this way. that said, I don't work for free, and I typically turn down jobs when people say thinks like "no one's gonna make any worthwhile money from this project anyways," although I will do my thing gratis when I believe in the project or have a hankering to take on some charity work.

so -- what I wanna know -- is why do people always make that exception when it comes to themselves -- i.e. "let me into this show for free," "give me your CD because I might someday promote it on my message board/magazine/blog/cable access show," or "well, taking that photographer's image and putting on my website without permission or a credit doesn't really matter, because after all, I'm not working for Time Warner."

when does that become okay? and how does it help our lil ecosystem of a music scene work?

I've been guilty of it too, and lord knows I receive about 200 CDs a month for free (90 percent unsolicited), and rarely pay to get into the Hi-Tone. BUT I did pay $5 to see Impala/AWO last weekend, and $20 to see Wanda Jackson the week previous. for me, getting stuff for free bc I am in the "music biz" is a lucky accident that doesn't happen every day, not a right that I take for granted.

I don't know what the answer is about Chris Reyes/LFM. I love him, and I want to support the work he and Sarah do, but I've never been solicited for a donation. I do think they blow the local music commission out of the water, on both intent and action. I also think they've devalued their work a bit by making it all free -- not that the answer is to charge viewers or subscribers, either.

okay, the gates are open. launch your attacks.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 7:21 pm

I try to always pay for shows and cds/records/whatever. Sometimes it doesn't work out. For example, the New Intruders didn't have a door person, so, I walked in, ordered up a beer and plunked myself down.

I am a man of means by no means, but the past year has changed how I do some things. I've been recording for free for years for three purposes:
1. To document what happens here,
2. So I can listen to cool shit and dork out on how some bands develop,
3. To get bands exposure, mainly through the goner board.

Well, this year, we actually have a studio, and it's not to say Rocket Science Audio has never been paid for services. But a lot of it comes out of our own pocket. And to a degree, that's fine with me because it meets the above criteria.
I believe the work Chris has to put into his side is a lot more intensive, because it's audio and visual. He's put his sweat and time and money in it, and maybe he's tapped out.
That sucks.
If you are out there reading this, Chris, shoot me an e-mail offline. Some of us have been talking in the background, and might be able to help. Sort of.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 8:28 pm | Edited by: zac

I posted this comment on the Smart City Blog, because someone linked to our thread and said all the "negativity" is why nothing gets done in this town...

The negative reaction to most of this is really pretty justified. Everyone's tired of watching the memphis music commission and foundation fail. Most of the people I know in the music community don't expect any kind of support from them because it has never been there before. so now that we see Live From Memphis, a company that has basically done the job the music commission was supposed to do (bring musicians, along w/ artists and filmmakers, together into one network and help sell their services), in trouble after 7 years of trying to secure funding... it makes everyone that cares about the community mad.

On the other hand, I am hopeful that the emergence of a new music commission that says they are interested in supporting local music will make a difference. I'm encouraged by new Music Foundation head Dean Deyo reaching out to the memphis community with a new plan that is exciting and builds from the bottom up rather than the top down. And I'm cautiously optimistic about Fast Forward talk of the music industry being a key economic source for the city (even though I don't quite understand that one yet).

All of these things seem positive. But don't think the most in the local music community, who have built what they've built completely on their own, are going to immediately embrace this new talk.

It seems to me the Live from Memphis situation will be a key test for the new Commission and Foundation. If they can find a solution that works for everyone involved, it may help thaw relations with the local music community. If not, it will prove to most that this regime is no different than past ones, despite what they say.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 8:42 pm

If not, it will prove to most that this regime is no different than past ones, despite what they say.

Well said...and I wish Mr Deyo well.
THAT being said, he's got his work cut out for him just undoing the do-nothingness of the past regimes.
If I'm not mistaken, we have a new head in Mr Deyo but how many of the commisioners are the same?
I swear, unless I'm looking too hard, I cannot find who is on the commission on that myspace account.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 8:46 pm

I think Christopher has every right to approach the local arts commissions for funding for LFM. If they think the music industry is supposed to be an economic revenue source moving forward, and they want to build from the bottom up then they need to start with LFM. What a waste to recreate what he has been doing on his own with almost no support for seven years.

I think Joel has a point too - the idea that all of a sudden the city government, who has failed over and over to do anything for the local music community, will all of a sudden help make this work... maybe there is a problem there. Maybe all they would do if they got there hands to far into it is screw it up. Maybe securing corporate support is a better idea.

I know this: LFM provides a great service to our community. They are great partners and champions of all things artistic in Memphis. Who else can you say that about? It seems to me it should be in everybody's interest to make sure they stay afloat. With proper funding, who knows what they can accomplish.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 8:51 pm

I'll be as negative as I want.
I love you guys.

Anyway, yeah, I'll help Chris, but on his terms.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 8:58 pm | Edited by: zac

Dean Deyo is head of the Music Foundation.

The way I understand it - the Music Commission was gone for a while after the Flemings fiasco - maybe for a few years - reformed last year with a new mission to repair relations with the local music community. So that group is younger, and seems more interested in supporting memphis music... Cameron Mann, Billy Gibson, Pat Mitchell-Worley are all on it and seem to be fighting the good fight. Don't know if that's supposed to be a secret or not - seems like the Commission should be posted publicly somewhere...
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Who is having the meeting tomorrow off highland? the commission or the foundation?
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 9:18 pm

when does that become okay? and how does it help our lil ecosystem of a music scene work?

it works in new york, los angeles, chicago, austin, seattle, portland, boston, philadelphia, detroit, and atlanta.

that being said, i don't know that it does work here and you have a valid point.

Maybe securing corporate support is a better idea.

this has always seemed like the best answer, zac, you're right. as i consider the possibilities, i don't know that we have the corporation that is willing to support LFM here. we don't exactly have anyone like a paul allen or michael dell here to the best of my knowledge, but it would be great if we did and i just wasn't hip to who that was.

whoever that person/company is would have to recognize that LFM is not a money-making operation and to recognize, in order to maintain the purity of what it does, it would be ineffective to shift their focus towards being a money-making operation to justify the expenditure.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 9:25 pm

Who is having the meeting tomorrow off highland? the commission or the foundation?

Nevermind. Some other music association, apparently, the MMAC.

To all musicians and music industry folks here in Memphis...the Memphis Musician's Advisory Council (MMAC) will be getting together every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month from 5pm-7pm at Mo's Edge Coffee Shop just to network, hang out and discuss some of the issues effecting our local music community...

Who are these people?
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 9:34 pm

FedEx presents...

LiveFromMemphis
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 9:37 pm

whoever that person/company is would have to recognize that LFM is not a money-making operation and to recognize, in order to maintain the purity of what it does, it would be ineffective to shift their focus towards being a money-making operation to justify the expenditure.

How many corporations that you know of would accept entering into such a venture if it DIDN'T make money?
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 10:08 pm

well, these big corps supposedly are supposedly concerned about not being able to bring "the creative class" to memphis. if this was really costing them money, they might see the value of investing in the kinds of things that at least make memphis look like a hipper, happening city. Live From Memphis does that.

myself, i think they'll have enough biz types coming out of UM to keep going without an improved local arts scene. And their websites can be done by someone in the hills of Utah just as easily as it can be done here.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 10:21 pm

I'm glad Eric and Zac are reading this...as tedious as it has been.

I'm going to start a new thread to find out how what if anything, the a City County government commission can do to help musicians, film makers, studio owners, labels etc... in this town

I'd love to get Jim Dickinson's take on all of this...he has a way of cutting through the minutia...even if he is as subtle as a flying mallet...sometimes that is what is needed.
Like when he said Beale street is nothing more than a "City owned liquor mall".

Let's keep the vitriol out of the new thread...suggestions and or problems that need solving.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 11:10 pm

ok, i will post there!
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 4:46 am

oops!
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 6:43 pm

I happened to run into the esteemed Mr. Reyes and the esteemed Mr. Sherman last night enjoying a delicious cocktail. We had a very enlightening conversation. Needless to say, the situation facing everyone's favorite Memphocentric web site is much more complex than has been discussed here. The $250,000 figure is so much bullshit. It was the cost of one proposal Chris floated to the various music commissions and foundations a couple of years ago that included but was not limited to control of LFM. Also included in that figure was an impressive amount of video and audio production. That's not the amount of money that would be required to save LFM.

90% of the "why donesn't he just do so and so" proposals in this thread have been tried. (I didn't ask about ad support, btw) Promises of funding have been made and reneged on. Repeatedly. The thing that most mystified Chris was that recently he hasn't so much been asking arts organizations for money as asking them for help in contacting some of their donors so he can pitch them for money. Even these requests have been rebuffed. This is not so mysterious to me--it's turf protection, pure and simple. It's how most of the players in the music and art scenes in Memphis have operated ever since I've been here. The perception is that it's a zero-sum game. If Live from Memphis has some success in raising money, that means less for me. If people go to the Jack Oblivian show, they won't come to my show--even though my show is the night after. There may be some grain of truth to this attitude, but ultimately it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The total market is small, but fear of other people's success that extends to the point of withholding easily rendered assistance or even active sabotage hurts everybody, and it's not going to help make the total market bigger, either.

Craig Brewer says Memphis is like a bucket of crabs. Inside, all of the crabs are clawing at each other trying to get to the top and escape. For them, it's a life or death struggle. But outside the bucket, no one can see what's going on inside. And what's more, nobody cares.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 6:45 pm

One more thing: The most revealing statement Chris made last night was "I gave it a year to get better two years ago."
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 6:46 pm

ok great, so what amount would be required to save LFM?
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 6:55 pm

If Live from Memphis has some success in raising money, that means less for me.

VERY interesting statement there...the more I think about it, the more it resonates with truth.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 7:08 pm

VERY interesting statement there...the more I think about it, the more it resonates with truth.

Truth in that this is how it really operates, or that it's truthful that many people think like this?
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 7:25 pm

No amount was discussed. My impression was that it would take a sponsor or two. We're not talking about Playhouse on the Square-level fundraising, either. Nor are we talking $250,000. But video and audio production and web hosting cost money. Someone with those skills can make a good living. That someone may have chosen to give away those skills for the betterment of the community because they love the community (or, more accurately, the music and art that the community produces) and because building up such a community aligns with their ideology. But ideology will only take you so far, and a guy's gotta eat. And where some see a tool to build community, others see competition that must be eliminated.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 8:46 pm

Ok, this is pretty much a total crock. Seriously.

If you think that people like John Fry, Cameron Mann, Billy Gibbons, Pat Mitchell Worley, Richard Cushing, and Dean Deyo are in the business of holding people in the community back for their own gain - well, shame on you.

If you aren't smart enough to know that there are two sides to every story, things are not always black and white and people sometimes dig their own grave (hey, I'm a perfect example!) then this whole discussion is way above your head.

This isn't aimed at anyone - and I hate to be negative - I really, really do - but sometimes you just hit a wall with frustration.

I don't have to be involved in this discussion at all - I love my job, the people I work with, the opportunities I have had come my way, and believe it or not, Chris is not the only one who has spent massive amounts of time and money trying to benefit the local music community.

I just don't seem to be able to grasp how some folks can really believe that life is all a "good vs. evil" game. This is the real world - people obviously have different agendas, and until you have heard theirs - it's not very beneficial to judge them.

The commission meetings are a matter of open record, so are their finances - if you or anyone really cares any more then just bitching on a message board - the door is open to your ideas - which I have heard few here other than "lets throw money at something cause we think it deserves it."

Chris knows its more complicated than all this has been made out to be.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 9:29 pm

your last statement is very true rachel, but there's not much in the rest of your message to learn here. you had already stated that the comission meetings are open, and i think this fact has got a couple of people thinking about at least investigating proposal possibilities, however these groups have continuously frustrated many of us before when we have given them half a chance. i realize that now it seems every single music foundation or commission now has a new leadership and perhaps we should try again, but as Christopher can tell you it has been a very unrewarding and demeaning process. i'm not saying to give up, i'm just saying you are doing just as much to judge those of us out here in the music world by giving us this pick yourself up by your bootstraps speech is extremely divisive and unhelpful. it is not black and white you are right. and success is not the only thing musicians are striving for. in between trying to make this whole thing work, musicians are trying to make MUSIC! They are then supposed to promote, book, practice, and play mostly without assistance. and then they are supposed to be smart enough to make good business decisions, and now asked to come up with detailed proposals and go to some government commision (or non government foundation) and ask for help. lord help them if they have to keep a day job through all this. people bitch because they are frustrated and they should be able to let loose when they want, because in my opinion memphis musicians for the most part have earned the fucking right. sometimes it's not productive to a general group topic, but fuck it. i don't care. it doesn't derail the train, you just have to read into the complaints and find the place that it's coming from. or just ignore it and move on. whatever. and if you think you've hit a wall of frustration after your time here, think about those of us who've been at it a whole lot longer than you.

this is coming from someone who does appreciate your efforts, and i know your comments are passionate because that's the way you feel, but we're talking about this subject like we're a two party system. both sides are doing it. the music commision or the foundation or the advisory council are not the answers to our prayers. they are tools. hopefully these tools have begun to do some kind of job. and hopefully it will help my friends and colleagues, but like everybody else, i can't help but be doubtful.

p.s. billy's last name is gibson not gibbons. billy gibbons is in zz top. (i think they are still playing, anybody know?)
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 9:30 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 9:32 pm

and success is not the only thing musicians are striving for

Goddamn right.
I just want to sip some suds
hang with buds
and rock out now and then.

If Chris needs us, he'll call us.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 9:34 pm

If you think that people like John Fry, Cameron Mann, Billy Gibbons, Pat Mitchell Worley, Richard Cushing, and Dean Deyo are in the business of holding people in the community back for their own gain - well, shame on you.

You missed the point...it's the FUNDRAISERS they were talking about...if there is only so much money to go around, it only makes sense that if someone gets more, someone else gets less. People protecting their share...deserved or not.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 9:37 pm

Posted: Aug 21, 2007 9:49 pm

Posted: Aug 21, 2007 9:54 pm

What's with the insults, Rachel? Why are you so touchy about this subject? Who is making you the bad guy here?

I'm sure the people you mentioned are beyond reproach. I don't know any of them personally like you obviously do. And yet, when I heard Chris' tale last night, it certainly rang true. I've been annoying people in this town with my bullshit for 18 years, and I've heard variations of the same story again and again. And I've lived that story a few times, too. Go back and read the examples I gave of the "bucket of crabs" mentality: institutional fundraising and jealousy that someone else's band is getting more attention than your band is. These are not good or evil, black and white matters, as you rightly point out. It's just human weakness that people can't see past their own perceived self-interest to realize that sometimes helping someone else helps you, too, and that someone else's success doesn't necessarily hurt you. It's not evil so much as it is shortsighted.

"Chris knows its more complicated than all this has been made out to be."

Do you have information you'd like to share with the class that might shed some light on additional complications?
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:03 pm

rachel,
don't come to my shows.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:08 pm

It's just human weakness that people can't see past their own perceived self-interest to realize that sometimes helping someone else helps you, too, and that someone else's success doesn't necessarily hurt you. It's not evil so much as it is shortsighted.

Amen. And a lot of times it comes down to a self-esteem thing, too.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:08 pm

same goes for chris
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:09 pm

a self-esteem thing, too.

not for me.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:12 pm

It's how most of the players in the music and art scenes in Memphis have operated ever since I've been here. The perception is that it's a zero-sum game.

Thank you! so many examples of this to go around.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:17 pm

Rachel,

You should get a job writing the captions for Successories posters.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:17 pm

a self-esteem thing, too.

not for me.

Well, clearly.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:31 pm

LOLZZTOP
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:42 pm

Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:44 pm

LOLZZTOP

Dear god ...
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 11:05 pm

derailed by a typo

typical
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 11:05 pm

Posted: Aug 21, 2007 11:16 pm

in between trying to make this whole thing work, musicians are trying to make MUSIC! They are then supposed to promote, book, practice, and play mostly without assistance. and then they are supposed to be smart enough to make good business decisions, and now asked to come up with detailed proposals and go to some government commission (or non government foundation) and ask for help. l

how is it supposed to work?

my whole endeavor - however misunderstood - is to simply try and make sure that the silly idea that the business of music in Memphis sucks, the commission and foundation are not beneficial to the community, and no one is having any success because "the Man" is holding them back is not memed without an opposing idea being voiced.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 12:11 am

And Bill Gibbons is the DA for Shelby County.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 12:20 am

You missed the point...it's the FUNDRAISERS they were talking about...if there is only so much money to go around, it only makes sense that if someone gets more, someone else gets less. People protecting their share...deserved or not.

Was going to mention this to reiterate (now that I have actually the entire thread). And I am sure everyone must know that this type of territorialism surrounding non-profit arts or social services or what have you fundraising goes on EVERYWHERE. In order to get around it as the little guy, you'll have to spend an inordinate amount of time schmoozing or maybe fucking a Germantown soccer mom or two. Jack Stands? Get involved!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 12:29 am

Typo number five million up there: "actually READ the entire thread."
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 12:31 am

maybe fucking a Germantown soccer mom or two. Jack Stands? Get involved!

Dear Penthouse Forum,
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 12:35 am | Edited by: saispas

My cool start up nonprofit was about to go belly up. People were even fighting on random websites about whether or not I was worth it. I was beginning to wonder the same thing myself when I saw her grab her $2500 Louis Vuitton bag and slam the sleeve of her Chloe blouse in the door of her Audi TT convertible.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 12:45 am

I also noticed that she left in such a huff that her dog was still tied off to the back bumber. I ran as quickly as i could to knock on her window before she could drive off, reaching her just in time. "Oh my, I don't know what i would do without Sunny the Bichon. She's a purebred Bichon Frise, and is a wonderful dog who loves everyone..."
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 12:58 am

...And then I fucked her.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 1:00 am

I could use a fundraiser....or two....
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 1:02 am

...again.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 1:04 am

And Germantown house wives would want to "support" "Memphis music" because .... ?

The only reason a lot of people -- arriviste nouveau riche types, I mean -- support the arts is to buy their way into a social scene. You write a check to the Symphony, you get a good table at the Symphony Ball with Rudi Scheidt and Patt Kerr Tigrett or something. I love the Buc and the Hi-Tone and all that, but people in Germantown are not gonna write checks to hang out with y'all at the friggin' Buc. Sorry.

I know that wasn't a serious example, just pointing out the obstacles at work here.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 1:12 am

And Germantown house wives would want to "support" "Memphis music" because .... ?

Because I'm hot.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 1:24 am

You write a check to the Symphony, you get a good table at the Symphony Ball with Rudi Scheidt and Patt Kerr Tigrett

Dear Rudi and Pat...please note it was the Commercial Appeal guy...not me.
I will gladly stand in the middle of your lovely appointed living rooms and play my British Invasion bit at your next party.
I'm probably the best solo act in town...in this price range.
Love
Golightly
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 1:51 am

but people in Germantown are not gonna write checks to hang out with y'all at the friggin' Buc. Sorry.

Hey man, don't underestimate the boredom in these chicks' lives.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:45 am

!!! Good call, saispas!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 5:09 am

The only reason a lot of people -- arriviste nouveau riche types, I mean -- support the arts is to buy their way into a social scene. You write a check to the Symphony, you get a good table at the Symphony Ball with Rudi Scheidt and Patt Kerr Tigrett or something. I love the Buc and the Hi-Tone and all that, but people in Germantown are not gonna write checks to hang out with y'all at the friggin' Buc. Sorry.

Actually, I spotted a king of a cotton carnival krewe at the HiTone listening to the Tanlines, think it was the WEVL spring concert. Also saw a former president of the Phoenix Club in Goner checking out Peter Case/Bluegrass Ramone.

If I was a local musician, I wouldn't underestimate the arriviste nouveau riche types. The money in this town ain't nearly as old as it used to be.

You got to hook 'em now while you're in your prime, otherwise they'll just wait you out and start an awards show honoring you when you're like sixty seven, if you even make it that far.

I can see it now: Midtown Rocker Ball. The good news is you'll get your picture in a magazine next to a bunch of society ladies.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 8:05 pm

The good news is you'll get your picture in a magazine next to a bunch of society ladies.

OK, what was the name of that ridiculous "society" mag you could get (maybe you still can, I dunno) outside Seesels in the free magazine rack circa 1997-2000?
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 8:08 pm

RSVP
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 8:22 pm

RSVP
Really Stuckup Vain People
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 9:45 pm

Which a few people on this board (not me) get a paycheck from.

We are all interconnected here so much more than people realize.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 9:58 pm

We are all interconnected here so much more than people realize.

Which is one reason I ain't sayin' who wanted the free gig...that being said, they should know better.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 10:14 pm

time to go read my collection of GAMUTs again!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 10:50 pm

GAMUT

!!! Those were heady days!
Posted: Aug 23, 2007 1:32 am

RSVP

The one down here is called "CITILIFE"...it is funnier than RSVP, that is for damn sure. But then again, I have not seen an RSVP in over 7 years. Hook me up and I will judge which city has the tackier social scene.
Posted: Aug 23, 2007 2:44 am

fear not. there's something on the horizon.
Posted: Aug 23, 2007 8:04 pm

memphis's problem is that nobody likes kissing ass. it's like when that unnamed rock star dude was in town a couple of years ago and he kept going to every show and trying to hang out with everybody. nobody wanted anything to do with him because he was weird and annoying. everybody in nashville kisses his ass all the time though, and where did he buy a house? nashville. which means, where is he handpicking bands and throwing money around? nashville.

in a lot of ways, memphis is a much more tolerable place to live than all of these other cities with more established arts communities that keep getting mentioned (new york, boston, even portland and austin). it's a real city full of real people who hate kissing ass- and most everyone with a substantial amount of money takes off the second they get it, anyway.
Posted: Aug 23, 2007 9:14 pm

memphis's problem is that nobody likes kissing ass. it's like when that unnamed rock star dude was in town a couple of years ago and he kept going to every show and trying to hang out with everybody. nobody wanted anything to do with him because he was weird and annoying. everybody in nashville kisses his ass all the time though, and where did he buy a house? nashville. which means, where is he handpicking bands and throwing money around? nashville.

Actually, what I remember a resounding "_______ is going to be at the Deli tonight!!!" "________ is at ______ right now!!!"

While there might not have been a lot of industry or music-based ass-kissing, there was no shortage of female scenester nimrods trying to get down his pants.

...and we're talking about Jack White, right?
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 12:49 am

there was no shortage of female scenester nimrods trying to get down his pants.

This is what female scenester nimrods DO, Andy!
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 4:02 am | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

Memphis kisses the ass of David Gest, Steven Seagal, Joe Theismann, and that nob who dresses up like Ace Frehley and plays with Kiss.
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 4:02 am

fuck jack white and ryan adams is a douche.
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 4:39 pm

there was no shortage of female scenester nimrods trying to get down his pants.

that was me!!!
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 5:01 pm

Even Jack White gets snobbed by the Memphis scenesters?

Wow.
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 10:10 pm

gets snobbed by the Memphis scenesters

Certainly not. It was pretty embarrassing, as Earles pointed out.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 2:05 am

I don't know why anyone would expect any differently--I am certain there are people in Nashville that look down their noses at Jack White, especially now that he is debasing himself on film playing another version of "Elvis".
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 4:32 am

dear god.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 8:20 pm

Certainly not. It was pretty embarrassing, as Earles pointed out.

You've gotta be kidding me. I remember standing in a circle of about five "scenester girls" and loudly complaining within his earshot that he smelled like farts and unwashed clothing. We were inching away from him all night long.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 8:43 pm

YOu might be right, robin. I personally didn't give two shitz either way. I did hear swooning going on, though.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 9:55 pm

Jack White's voice annoys me.
I don't know how anyone can stand to listen to him sing!
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 10:00 pm

I made fun of people who went to that show the next day.

Why the HELL did you people go?
Haven't you heard tha catterwalling before?
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 11:22 pm

All I can confirm for sure is that he smelled like a poop.
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 10:32 pm

I won't let this thread die! Not today!
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®