Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Anybody ever plan a wedding in Memphis before?
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 4:20 pm

Because I sure haven't. I need some pointers.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 4:28 pm

what do you need to know?
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 4:32 pm

pretty much everything - I'll be doing almost all the planning from out of state. We have some ideas for sites and such, but no real idea of costs involved. Referrals for good people to work with would be preferable to just finding links to random florists, photographers etc.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 4:39 pm

I have one suggestion. Don't let your drunken buddies set off a bunch of fireworks in the middle of midtown. The cops don't like that. Then again, it ain't a real wedding reception 'til the cops show up and threaten to take the bride to jail.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 4:49 pm

we got almost everything free or trades, except food liquor band, so i'm not much help with costs
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Memphis for "traditional" weddings is sort of a rip off. Most reception venues charge $1500 for rental and then require you to use their horrible caterer and buy your liquor from them, which gets very pricy. If you are going small or nontraditional you will have a better time of it. Doing it yourself is also a plus, but being out of town would make it hard.
You also get a much better deal if you do things like have your wedding on a Friday night v. a Saturday. Winter is always less expensive than summer or spring. There are lots of good, but pricy venues in midtown such as the Brooks Museum and the Zoo. What are you trying to spend?
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 5:33 pm

Not sure on budget - we are most likely paying for everything ourselves. We definitely want small - less than 100 (is that even small any more?). I don't have a problem doing things myself. I know my family will help. I'm mostly trying to avoid a wedding in my parents (junky) backyard and BBQ courtesy of dad. Friday night is ok w/ me. Catering and cake shouldn't be much of a problem as we are family friends w/ Draper's and they do both.

Our main plan is to have a very small wedding/reception and set up/book a show later that night for our real wedding "party"
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 5:56 pm

Occasions on Cooper between Union and Linden is a small venue, and I know they give the Friday night discounted rate (it is still like $1200 or so I think).
The Magnolia Room next to Side Street is also a great small venue, but I'm not sure on the rates.
The Nineteenth Century Club can also hold about 100 inside and more outside, but again not sure on their rates.
I know Occasions and 19th Centruy do allow you to bring your own caterer etc., but I don't know about the Magnolia Room.
Is this helpful at all??
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 5:58 pm

The Magnolia Room next to Side Street is also a great small venue
we brought seperate catering in here as well as a band
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 6:00 pm

yes, thanks. I actually had magnolia room in mind. you have to use their caterers and it could be pretty pricey, but set up and clean up is included as are tables chairs and linens - still looking at other options. I really like the feel of the magnolia room - i attended a reception there once. That's more my type of place. Also checked out the 19th century club's website, but they don't give as much info.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 6:01 pm

we brought seperate catering

really??? how long ago was that? Maybe I misread their site . if that is the case, it's definitely looking better and better.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 6:02 pm

that was 3 years ago, but friends with the owner so that might not have been a normal allowance
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 6:03 pm

Maybe I misread their site .

I read it on there.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 6:03 pm

Do it at the Stax Museum.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 6:17 pm

Occasions on Cooper between Union and Linden is a small venue, and I know they give the Friday night discounted rate (it is still like $1200 or so I think).

Ed O had his reception at Occasions. It was nice.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 7:13 pm

This wasn't Memphis, it was Portland, but if you wanna get married in a park, don't assume you have to pay the fee cos Ryan and I did our ceremony "guerilla-style" at the Portland Rose Gardens in the middle of a Thursday afternoon and avoided a silly charge. It was really short but gorgeous. Then we just left and went downtown to a swanky old bar for drinks and had the reception the next night. Gave us a night to recover.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 7:17 pm | Edited by: Alisa

I had a wedding, and my friend Sarah also had her wedding at the Ornamental Metal Museum. I think they only charge $500, but she also had to rent a tent. There are not catering facilities, but that didn't pose a problem.
It's a beautiful setting...here are some pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alisa_in_memphis/sets/72157594177366791/d etail/
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 8:06 pm

Also checked out the 19th century club's website, but they don't give as much info.

I've been to a quite a few receptions around town and the 19th. century club is still my favorite.

Although, a Fall wedding at Ornamental Metal Museum can't be beat.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 8:19 pm

Ornamental Metal Museum

Now that is an idea!

anybody ever been to one at the Jack Robinson Gallery?
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 8:22 pm

Jack Robinson Gallery?

not for a wedding, but was just there for an art opening, it's pretty standard banquet facility
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:07 pm | Edited by: elle

yes, thanks. I actually had magnolia room in mind. you have to use their caterers and it could be pretty pricey, but set up and clean up is included as are tables chairs and linens - still looking at other options. I really like the feel of the magnolia room - i attended a reception there once. That's more my type of place. Also checked out the 19th century club's website, but they don't give as much info.

aurora had used the magnolia room for her wedding. i'm not sure how the prices went but they did make her use their caterer. she was allowed to bring in a different cake though.

the ornamental metal museum if it is outside is great. i went to a baby shower there for someone who worked there. the place is gorgeous as the sun sets. :) generally speaking, you can rent a tent app. 30'x30' for around a couple of days for a little under 500 dollars. but then you may have to worry about the floor too.

chair rental is approximately one dollar per chair unless the facility has them there. which i am sure that the magnolia room and occasions both have chairs already there. just don't think the metal museum would.

you can also get married at the woodruff-fontaine house out in the garden. the wedding itself is 250 dollars and then you get to pick from a list of caterers (but i'm not sure if draper's is on the list...there are quite a few listed.) and then the rental of the stuff for the reception is 850-1050 depending upon whether you have it in the carriage house or in the club rooms. (i work at the place so i know the rates there.) this place you wouldn't have to rent chairs for since they already have them, as well as the linens.

i think occasions is slightly more expensive than the magnolia room and there were a few more stipulations upon the wedding. aurora just recently had to deal with all that so you may want to ask her.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:14 pm

but then you may have to worry about the floor too.

Nope, the Metal Museum has a concrete pad that the tent goes over. It worked well.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:23 pm

i couldn't remember what the floor was like there when i went to that baby shower. thanks for clearing that up, alisa. it was a few years back.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:26 pm

Metal Museum has a concrete pad that the tent goes over.

I was thinking of the covered area where the bands play at blues on the bluff

still liking this idea

thanks, Elle

keep the suggestions coming folks! I'm sure there are places I haven't thought of, or just plain don't know about.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:29 pm

I was thinking of the covered area where the bands play at blues on the bluff
that's where you could do the ceremony, but you need the tent for the people watching
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 9:30 pm

true
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 10:35 pm | Edited by: Alisa

The tent goes over the pad, and you get married in the gazebo with the catfish on top. Basically, Sarah just ordered the tent in case it rained, and had the food, tables, cake, and drinks in there. You could also have the band and a dance floor under there, but Sarah had the band at the side of the gazebo. Chairs were set up in front of the gazebo for the infirm and family, maybe just twenty or thirty chairs, and the rest of the guests stood - outside and also a bit under the tent. There's a wide sidewalk that leads up to the gazebo, and that was used as the "aisle". Check those pics (quickly, cuz there's a lot!) for orientation.
It's really a beautiful, beautiful place for a wedding, and those folks are so nice and accomidating.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 10:42 pm | Edited by: Alisa

Another nice thing was that guests also lined the walk up the "aisle", and threw petals at them as they walked to the gazebo.
Well, not that you want anybody throwing anything at you as you walk up the aisle...but petals were okay.
But, if you're in the gazebo the vows are relatively private, which can be nice too.
Email me if you want to talk to Sarah about it. She knows it ALL!
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 11:10 pm

Ornamental Metal Museum
That is the best outdoor site by far - but think about risky weather. I was down there for a catering gig and a storm blew into W. Memphis, so it was windy as hell. It calmed down though.

I had a wedding at Occasions in 2001 before they built that atrocious chapel. The main building is perfect for a smaller group (ceremony up and reception down - NOLA-style courtyard out back). They provided chairs, it's already decorated with really tasteful twig, white light and dried flowers (or it was then) so no florist needed, there's a kitchen and banquet tables for your caterer, BYO: photog, band, booze, minister, etc., I paid $800 then. Not bad and the pics were so pretty because they were all kind of rosy. Nice woman to deal with too - helpful, but totally not up in your business.

I also went to a really cool reception at the Center for Southern Folklore in Peabody Place. Whatever that house is on Waldran (?) off Poplar by the freeway is really nice too. Went to a wedding there many years ago - there's a dungeon, which is where the band played. Big Sandy and the Fly-Rite Boys if I'm recalling correctly.
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 11:15 pm

bus station
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 11:20 pm

bus station

thanks miss linda
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 11:43 pm

Occasions in 2001 before they built that atrocious chapel.

that is just ugly, and scary!
Posted: Aug 14, 2007 11:56 pm

Boman an Mary got hitched at that nice place in Victoria Gardens.....that was nice...
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 4:18 am | Edited by: luteinizer

A tent will run about a grand (includes set up/take down). Depends on the size, but they are pricey, get quotes. You will have to have a site picked out, b/c they will come out to the site to quote.

Photographers are expensive too, get quotes from many and make sure they will do what you want. Our pics are on Dan Balls site, you can see if you like them.

Take everythings price and double it, when it is for a wedding they jack it up.

Be creative. And check out makeupalley.com, theknot.com etc they have an entire section for people planning weddings. They can help with basic ideas, cakes, flowers. And will give advice, especially on money saving tips, good sites to go to.

I did my flowers myself, saves a ton.

Macys and the wedding channel have a free wedding website that is pretty nice too.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 12:15 pm

Depends how highbrow you wanna go! Our wedding was minimum hassle, pretty cheap to do (which was good, cos we're not monied folks) and all sorted via email, thanks to our Memphis friends...

* Guests stayed at what's now called 'The Artisan' on the corner of Union/McLean or at 'French Quarter Inn & Suites', both of which were reasonable, price-wise, and within walking distance of eating/drinking spots.

* We got spliced inside Sun Studios, but I dunno if they generally let people do that you'd need to contact Nikki, the manager... Susie Hendrix married us, and we just hadta sort the license out at City Hall...

* Our wedding dinner wuz at the Bar-B-Que Shop on Madison, which has a nice side room, and they don't charge for it, but you pay a slightly higher than normal 'per plate' food rate.

* The reception was at the Buccaneer, which don't charge, either, but we did slip Buck Wilders (who DJed and provided his decks), Jeff Evans/Ron Franklin/Jack O some money'n'drinks well, ya gotta!

'Course, if you're going more highbrow, then this is no help at all!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 12:18 pm

Oh, and we gotta give props to our pal Tad, whose '55 Caddy was our wedding car (complete with blue suede shoes hanging from the back bumper!) www.americandreamsafari.com

Folks also suggested the wedding chapel at Graceland, which seemed expensive, and also I think it was Eric O who said bout the 'metal museum' in one of the parks as being a good venue...
Posted: Oct 24, 2018 6:25 pm

You should look at [url=http://www.magnivents.com ]Magnivents [/url] they do amazing party favors photo booths and giveaways.
Posted: Jul 5, 2019 8:43 am

If you want to organize the whole wedding day yourself, you definitely need a wedding planning checklist - you could easily find one in the Internet. Besides, it's very important to think about the activities and entertainment you need to provide. Again - Google will certainly help. But for that I can suggest one article that (I'm sure) you'll find helpful: If you want to organize the whole wedding day yourself, you definitely need a wedding planning checklist - you could easily find one in the Internet. Besides, it's very important to think about the activities and entertainment you need to provide. Again - Google will certainly help. But for that I can suggest one article that (I'm sure) you'll find helpful: [url=https://www.poptop.uk.com/blog/23-wedding-entertainment-ideas-for-your-big-day/] [/url]
Posted: Aug 7, 2019 7:02 pm

A divorce, maybe. You need to get Mike Stone involved.
Posted: Aug 29, 2019 12:07 pm

Jesse Garon:
A divorce, maybe.

too soon!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®