Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / wevl question
Posted: Aug 11, 2007 5:06 am

so - if you can't listen to the stream of a live program, are those things archived? you know - like the daniel johnston, etc?

i couldn't listen because even though i was in front of my computer, i had a client on the phone. and dammit... i wanna hear that!
Posted: Aug 11, 2007 6:09 am

Nope. Copyright laws and not enough donations.
Posted: Aug 11, 2007 7:02 am

so how does WFMU do it? They don't even have underwriting.
Posted: Aug 11, 2007 8:58 am

WEVL ain't got the storage, nor the distribution. Not without a couple of benefits and donations, anyways.
Posted: Aug 11, 2007 8:59 am

Corporate sponsors could help, but I'm kind of glad they don't.
Posted: Aug 11, 2007 4:03 pm

WFMU = healthy NY donations
Posted: Aug 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Even if the donations in NY weren't considerably larger, the amout of people in NY compared to Memphis is quite a big difference. It's like the same size station with 10 times the funds. It costs WEVL an arm and a leg just to have live streaming.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 6:10 pm

WFMU and KEXP (Seattle) typically have six or seven-figure pledge drive goals. WEVL's bi-annual drives only ask for 62K. This may be almost enough to cover operations costs. Besides, doesn't Buck get about 45K salary there?

Kidding aside, many WEVL listeners assume that the DJs get paid from these drives.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 6:41 pm

WEVL's bi-annual drives only ask for 62K. This may be almost enough to cover operations costs.

Barely. It actually may not even cover the transmitter costs since it was moved a few years back.

Besides, doesn't Buck get about 45K salary there?

Well, see, he's special.

Kidding aside, many WEVL listeners assume that the DJs get paid from these drives.

Nyet, obviously. Although five years+ supplimental income MIGHT get me the guest house behind the Ol' Ridge Runner Mansion.

I've read that in the 60s, some Top 40 DJs in the major markets were making six figures. Amazing.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 6:49 pm

I've read that in the 60s, some Top 40 DJs in the major markets were making six figures.

That's because some of these guys were heroes to us.
It was our connection...via crackly AM stations...to some really great music.
No internet, no I tunes...just records...and the only way to hear anything new and cool was via the radio.
I know none of the local jocks were pulling that kind of money but to me and many others like me, they should have...plus they played both local and national bands.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 6:58 pm

Agreed, Jeff. The stature of even your average DJ was exponentially higher back then.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 7:17 pm

I don't mean to sound like a snot here and I know all about the very tight budgets that community radio stations face, but I do consider myself experienced with this subject. Six years ago I created, from scratch, an audio archival system for a radio station. The cost was almost negligible.

For instance:
http://www.blazeaudio.com/products/radiorecordersuite.html
this costs $30. there is probably something similar out there that's free. you could easily run this on a crappy donated computer.

At the time we were afraid of copyright issues which is why the station I worked at chose simply to use the archives for rebroadcast and posterity. They were not offered for download by the station, but some DJs chose to put copies of their shows on their personal websites.

so anyway, budget should not be used as an excuse here. reservations about copyright, perhaps. but WFMU definitely isn't the only community station that hosts their own archives.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:35 pm

how hard would it be (or, I should ask, how much would it cost) for WEVL to get hooked up with ITunes Radio. I know WFMU, KEXP, uh that one from Evergreen State (KAOS ??) are all on there, plus loads more. That would probably raise WEVL's profile considerably.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:44 pm

how hard would it be (or, I should ask, how much would it cost) for WEVL to get hooked up with ITunes Radio.

most of those for-profit outlets have a program (ie: corporately) for "social responsibility" - and since wevl is a community supported not-for-profit, it should not cost them an entry into that market place.

i don't know if there's someone in an admin/marketing/whatever capacity at wevl to do all the reconnaissance and outreach. it all takes time.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:48 pm

If I have to listen to a commercial about an iPhone instead of Bashfull Bob "with an important public service announcement about spiders", then I don't want it.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 12:16 am

I agree 1000% Jack. But hey, if they can join the roster without having to shill for Jobs et al, I think it could only be a good thing.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 6:00 pm

but some DJs chose to put copies of their shows on their personal websites
You know, there are probably some DJs who have digital (and most likely cassette) archives of their shows. Only setback is that they might not be allowed to rebroadcast/distribute their shows. You might have to hunt them down for copies.

Now, there are some of us who have archives of Bashful Bob...
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 6:48 pm

CATMAN!
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 6:55 pm

What is happening with the recent decision to start charging more for internet royalties? I knew they (whomever the people who collect these dollars are) had decided to put off charging more while they determine a new price structure dependent on--I suppose--such things as size, listenership, market etc etc.
Posted: Aug 16, 2007 7:02 pm

Indeed. If you podcast somethin....you gotta get PERMISSION from the artist to do so, or you gotta pay a royalty fee which either the RIAA or I'm guessing the artist's publishing company would set for them.....bye bye podcast.....
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 3:56 am

Indeed. If you podcast somethin....you gotta get PERMISSION from the artist to do so, or you gotta pay a royalty fee which either the RIAA or I'm guessing the artist's publishing company would set for them.....bye bye podcast.....

wait, are you saying that this is the current law, or that this is the new/proposed law?
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 4:01 am

but some DJs chose to put copies of their shows on their personal websites
You know, there are probably some DJs who have digital (and most likely cassette) archives of their shows. Only setback is that they might not be allowed to rebroadcast/distribute their shows. You might have to hunt them down for copies.

yeah wevl djs aren't allowed to make podcasts or to post podcasts/recorded shows
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 6:21 am

wait, are you saying that this is the current law, or that this is the new/proposed law?

http://www.savenetradio.org/
will give you more info than you can wrap your head around.

small non commercial web radio/podcasters have serious decisions to make
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 6:58 am

Its really all for nil if you ask me

I have 5 radio shows I do now on breakthru radio - and since all the hype with the royalty rate hiked up we are now getting blanket releases from labels and artists to broadcast their music with no royalty fees.

I'm no expert - but the way things were explained to me with the rate hike - no one band was going to make any worthwhile amount of money anyway - but take that small amount and multiply it by the hundreds or thousands of songs played each month and it would definitely put the smalltimers out of business - which is just dumb - cause the promotion is generates for a band is probably worth a lot more than the 1.28 they might make in a royalty payment.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 11:39 pm

I think real radio is getting screwed from all of this....it wasnt an issue until "podcasts" and blogs and such started "distributing" digital broadcasts of shit. Actual radio stations just wanted to play along and also broadcast on the net...but it has been increasingly more difficult because the industry wants to make some money off of Peter Podcast and actual, real radio shows are getting caught in the crossfire.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 12:59 am

i think the problem has always been that the top tier of business - ie: bean counters - have NEVER been able to wrap their head around what the internet is, what people do on it, with it, etc. and how it is and is not and may be or may not be a "threat" to their income
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 1:01 am

I don't understand your theory

please explain
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 1:18 am

I don't understand your theory

please explain

its not a theory - it is based on working in multinational corporations (media companies, record labels) and seen them struggle to adopt the changes of the world and incorporate them into their business.

since i am currently multi-tasking (have a client on phone/headset), i will actually write for you specific examples offline and then post them later.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 1:34 am | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

I was asking Eric

we posted at the same time
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Live From Memphis approached the WEVL about streaming Memphis Beat last year or whenever it was...(when WEVL was not streaming) anyway they didn't want to do it.

That offer still stands and if anyone wants to streaming local music, create a podcast and have us stream it or whatever... LFM will do it, till we run out of bandwidth, time or steam.

Christopher

http://www.livefrommemphis.com/listen/radio/localsonly
http://www.livefrommemphis.com/listen/radio/goner
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®