Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Best Car Rental Company to use in MEM?
Posted: Aug 5, 2007 11:55 pm

Planning our trip (not to Gonerfest, unfortunately) for my big 40th birthday return home/party/Tiger vs. Gonzaga etc etc etc in January 2008--anyone reccomend a better car rental service than another?

(We'll be there Wednesday January 24th--Sunday January 27th!!! Absolutely cannot wait.)
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 1:13 am

I've tried others, and believe it or not ,Hertz was the least bullshitty. Maybe not the cheapest but definitely the least stressful. Of course ,it's been at least 8 years since I've rented a car in Memphis .
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 4:18 am

Enterprise didn't fuck us over last time we used them. Go to the one about the 3300 block of Poplar.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 4:37 am

rent a van, i'm pretty sure that's the name, out summer right next to the driving range
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 2:18 pm

Whatever company you decide on, if they have a shuttle bus to and from the airport ,that's a definite plus. Not having to deal with cabs or begging rides from relatives eases the worry of missing your flight.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 3:03 pm

just rented a Honda Accord for my trip to Chicago from Hertz -22.99 a day - they do compacts at 15.99 a day - they came and picked me up from my house.

pretty painless
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 3:06 pm

Enterprise has been good in the past; we'll check out all the deals. Are these shuttles free?
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 3:39 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

Are these shuttles free?
Yes, but a nominal tip for the driver (couple bucks) is customary. Lightyears cheaper than a cab though.
PS: I don't know if you've rented a car before but you do know that you MUST have a credit card with a sizeable credit limit ?
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 3:58 pm

thats not necessarily true

i used my debit card and I only had about 150 in the bank - was on my way to deposit a check after i picked up the car...
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 4:17 pm

Well, I guess the rules have changed in the past few years. It was just my experience in the past that car rental places were fascists about their insistence on credit cards. I almost got stranded in San Antonio by Budget because my limit wasn't high enough. No problem with Hertz though . I never used anybody else after that.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 6:41 pm

I have rented a lot in the past year and they haven't held anything on the car; a few years back this was different though.
Posted: Aug 8, 2007 1:15 pm

Just steal a car once you get here. Everybody does it! Hahaha...ugh.
Posted: Aug 8, 2007 2:57 pm

AND all of a sudden they're demanding either proof of full coverage insurance or you'll have to take their 17 dollar/day deal... we drove oblivians all over the US in rented vans w/o such stuff back in the day...
Posted: Aug 8, 2007 5:13 pm

I didnt have to give them that either - they just asked me who my insurance company was.
Posted: Aug 8, 2007 5:30 pm

last time I rented a car they put a $1,500 authorization on my card.

DO NOT USE A DEBIT CARD WHEN YOU RENT A CAR. If something happens to the car they will charge a hefty deductible to your bank account and you'll be fucked. Often with credit cards there is some kind of built in insurance coverage for car rentals, I'm not sure exactly how it works but there is a much higher level of consumer protection with credit cards. Your bank could probably give a fuck if some car rental place fucks you over, it just means more overdraft charge $$$ for them.
Posted: Aug 8, 2007 5:46 pm

When I nicked a rental in 2004, I just got a letter in the mail and had to pay a 300 dollar deductable to my insurance - and i think I used a credit card, but I probably didn't have 1500 dollars left on it to charge.

The literature that tries to get you to take the 20 dollar a day coverage says that the credit card companies will try to make you go thru your insurance company first and then will cover anything it doesn't.

I guess each company probably had its own policies.
Posted: Aug 8, 2007 7:32 pm

Right, I was putting it on a credit card w/a decent enough limit, but I've only got basic coverage (plus a little) for my rapidly depreciating 1994 Trooper.

This was the Enterprise at Union near Danny Thomas. I'd expect that the rental places at the airport don't go through that stuff, but not sure.

Always had a decent time at Enterprise otherwise...
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 4:35 am

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do

426 Union AV, Memphis - (901) 525-8588

the downtown folks are pretty straight, I don't know about the other Memphis Enterprise's (some are corporate some are franchises, this one is the latter).
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®