Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Smoking Law's Effect on Local Bars?
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 6:44 pm

So the new smoking laws are taking effect this month.

Here's the deal:

As I understand it, bars and restaurants have 2 options.
Either A) Ban smoking altogether
or B) 21 and up all the time, lunch, dinnner, breakfast, period.

So bars have to choose between losing some under 21 business (esp during lunch hours) and pissing off the smokers.

I work at Old Zinnies and we have gone to 21 and up.
I heard yesterday that Young Ave Deli is going non-smoking, which I guess means the end of the smoke shop.

I haven't heard what other midtown bars plan to do. Anyone know what's up?
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 7:29 pm

I know that Boscos already went non-smoking and it was terrible.

I don't know what I'm going to do, to be honest.
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 8:23 pm

i live in a no-smoking town and moving here from memphis was a big adjustment at first, but now it's no big deal. you just have to step outside to smoke. and to be honest, it's kinda nice to crash after a long night and not reek of the stench of 1000 other peoples' cigarettes the next morning.

will smoking be allowed on patios and in outdoor areas?
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 8:34 pm

Boscos was terrible before it went nonsmoking.
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 8:46 pm

not sure what the law says about patios.

If I were a full-time bar employee, I would probably work at a non-smoking place. When I go out at night, I expect to smell like an ashtray in the morning, but if I'm working I'd rather not.

In the meantime, check out this story about <a href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in _article_id=464540&in_page_id=1770&ito=newsnow">Some English geezers who found a way around Britain's nationwide smoking ban</a>
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 8:48 pm

well, that's what i get for trying to do it on my own... here's that link fo' real:
URL
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 9:14 pm

not sure what the law says about patios.

I don't think it's allowed anywhere on the premises.

You're right! I mean, who likes good beer served by the best bartender in town?
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 9:54 pm

Yeah, I know, they dont have all-you can drink piss for $5...fuck them.
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 10:14 pm

Boscos IS losing SOME business on the front end. Not sure how that will shake out once every other place is in the same spot.

I have a feeling this is gonna hurt Tennessee businesses much worse than Calif. or NYC.
Posted: Jul 31, 2007 10:25 pm

wow i hadn't even heard about this!
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 2:58 am | Edited by: the 1 and only

Partially true- 3 choices: 21 and Over, Private Club or Non-Smoking, except...

smoking is allowed in "open-air" areas of your premises (patios, etc.)

Also allowed in areas with roofs, but have to have roll-up doors (garage type) or equivalent, with flow-through ventilation.

You may not declare yourself a "private club" just to skirt the law.

Bosco's chose to go ALL Non-Smoking.

Law goes into effect on October 2, 2007.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 2:11 pm | Edited by: Miss Faye

Tsunami (where I work) went non-smoking back in April. It hasn't hurt business any and the feedback from customers has all been extremely positive. Ben and Colleen stuck a bench and a big pot of sand out front off to the side for the smokers.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 3:03 pm

Hey Miss Faye, can you email...want to ask you a question.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 3:04 pm

i figure a lot of people would stop eating at bosco's too, if it went all 21+ all the time. they'd probably lose a lot of their brunch crowd. i happen to like their beer and they have a couple of great bartenders. it's an alternative to the dive bars that i normally go to, which is good sometimes. you'd be surprised the numbers of people that actually enjoy a place more that is non-smoking. i know i HATE being around smoke while i am eating. if it was JUST a bar and didn't have food as their centerpiece and big moneymaker, it's a difference and maybe going 21+ would be a better option for some places in that instance.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 4:51 pm

So a "private club" will require membership?

I've always been of the opinion that if it's actually good for business to be non-smoking, bars and restaurants would do it of their own volition. I don't like the gov't sticking their nose in.

The new law kinda sucks because there are places (like YAD) that do a good lunch business that ALSO do well as a nighttime bar/music venue. The new law basically forces bars to categorize themselves and limit their business to certain uses.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 7:46 pm

I'm a smoker and I love the smoking ban. For reals....
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 7:55 pm

I have a feeling this is gonna hurt Tennessee businesses much worse than Calif. or NYC.

Yep. The South in general will reel from this in many ways. I don't care if you are a smoker in NYC, PDX or San Francisco--it is in NO WAY the same as the smoking culture of Memphis or anywhere in the South. I was smoking in Portland, came home to Memphis for my first visit home in 3 years and was visually shocked by (1) How much makeup all my friends wore and (2) How many cigarettes were being smoked.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 4:32 pm

Posted: Aug 6, 2007 8:12 pm

(1) How much makeup all my friends wore and (2) How many cigarettes were being smoked.

I think those two are related! My skin actually became slightly leathery while I worked at the smoke shop.

But the restaurant ban isn't going to hurt the south anymore than anywhere else... only 25% of tennesseans smoke...which is close to the national average.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 8:22 pm

Unexpected side-effect of British smoking ban

This totally happenned in NYC as well but it goes away after about 6 months or so....
Posted: Aug 7, 2007 4:19 pm

If London can handle it, Memphis can handle it. I was in London in 2000 and those people were serious about smoking everywhere. They made Memphis look like Berkeley.
Posted: Aug 7, 2007 5:16 pm

Boscos IS losing SOME business on the front end. Not sure how that will shake out once every other place is in the same spot.

Boscos owner actually said business is up since the smoking ban... who would have guessed?

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=381449@ video.abc24.com&navCatId=12
Posted: Aug 8, 2007 5:29 pm

*Cough*

The smoking ban isn't much of a problem, if there's a garden... what is becoming a problem in the UK is HATS! Twice over the past coupla weeks, I've been refused service at pubs here in Bath cos I was wearing a hat! Even a nifty straw number from Mr Lansky at Mr Hats AND a Goner cap! How about THEM apples?!?!?! I wuz told it's a "security issue", despite no cameras being in evidence either time, and the pub full of wankers wearing fucking huge pairs of 'Beverley Hills' sunglasses!

What's happening at The Lamplighter? Ann said she was gonna sell-up if they brought the smoking ban in... anyway, I reckon it's only the Vampira poster and the blobs of nicotine on the ceiling tiles that's keeping the BUILDING up! The thought of returning to Memphis, and finding The Lamplighter gone is summat I don't even wanna consider...
Posted: Aug 8, 2007 8:33 pm

What's happening at The Lamplighter? Ann said she was gonna sell-up if they brought the smoking ban in... anyway, I reckon it's only the Vampira poster and the blobs of nicotine on the ceiling tiles that's keeping the BUILDING up! The thought of returning to Memphis, and finding The Lamplighter gone is summat I don't even wanna consider...

I don't think the lamplighter appeals to people under 21.
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 1:59 pm

Thank gawd fer that!
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 3:25 pm

they'd rather quit than fight!

no lamplighter would be no good. real no good.

damn, that place gets SMOKY!
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 5:57 pm

i can't believe they banned smoking at pubs in Ireland. those were the smokiest drinking establishments I'd ever quaffed at.

It's been years out in Cali ... can't say I miss how my clothes used to smell after a rockin' night out

only way around it here is if the bar is strictly staffed by the owner, because the law specifically says nobody can smoke in a "workplace", liquor/music has nothing to do with it....
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 6:57 pm

Another good plus about the smoking ban (if yer into this type o thing) is ...the rave/dance clubs over on the west side have long lines of people smoking outside at once usually. This is a drug dealers dream come true. They just hang out and sell drugs to them while they are smoking. Everybody wins.

Unless you get someone in the building who don't like all the noise outside, they've been known to through garbage, water, even toilet water on the club goers outside. Thats kinda sucks....
Posted: Aug 10, 2007 5:48 pm

Oxford is a much better place to live since our smoking ban became law. Now, if we could only do some about the goddamned frat boys from Germantown...
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 3:54 am

Boscos owner actually said business is up since the smoking ban... who would have guessed?

I was being purely anecdotal. We went in on a Sunday night (usually pretty busy) and there were like 3 people in there. Bartender speculated it might've been due to the no-smoking
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 4:32 am

which I guess means the end of the smoke shop.

I asked the guy about that tonight while I was in there. The smoke shop is, apparently, its own separate entity so they're going to turn that into a smoking room where patrons of the big room can go to smoke when it's cold outside and where a table of two can dine and smoke simultaneously.
Posted: Aug 13, 2007 5:55 am

word is - Hitone is going non-smoking
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®