Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Midtown Changes Going On Right Now...
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 3:41 pm

I tried to use the gas station on Belvedere and Poplar (across from Joe's) and it was closed, too

Thank god. That place needed to close down years ago. And what was with all the sick looking gay people that worked there?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 4:28 pm

rumor is whole foods is going in where bayou and le chard are moving out.

are they knocking down the whole building & starting all over?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 4:28 pm

You must be billionaire! NY'ers can't even afford that place!

I AM a billionaire! how'd you guess?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 4:30 pm

I'm psychic!
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 5:40 pm

rumor is whole foods is going in where bayou and le chard are moving out.

are they knocking down the whole building & starting all over?

Someone has gotta move into that place! It's a landmark that is slowing turning into a parking lot.

Where did you get your information from? Think it's reliable?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 5:43 pm

I tried to use the gas station on Belvedere and Poplar (across from Joe's) and it was closed, too

Here's a post from Ryan's blog at mymidtownmemphis about that ghetto mapco being rebuilt. Looks like the reality is beginning to resemble the picture. At least that's an improvement.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 5:47 pm

And what was with all the sick looking gay people that worked there?

John Parrot!
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 11:17 pm

that looks like a bass pro mapco.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 7:50 pm

Check it out! Looks pretty good and I was told the doughnuts are pretty tasty!

http://cafeeclectic.net/Cafe_Eclectic.Net/The_Cafe.html
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 7:57 pm

I'd love to know how they came up with those prices for their drinks.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Well, you know what? I'm not gonna rag 'em yet. I hadn't had their coffee yet, so.
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 8:48 pm

An espresso and 3 donuts - you can get out of there without spending a lot.

The root beer float got 2 thumbs up here.

http://cafeeclectic.net/Cafe_Eclectic.Net/The_Fountain.html
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:17 pm

I am definitely not gonna rag a place doing the fancy pants breakfast in Midtown! YES! I am not ashamed of eating food like this in the morning; slumming it at Barksdales? Not for me.

(Still. My espresso drinks could likely kick theirs down the block...)
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:29 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Just sayin', if a Macchiato Freddo is a buck sixty five, why wouldn't you just order an espresso with a shot of whipped cream for $1.45 (which I wouldn't order)?

And how is a dolop of milk foan worht 30 cents.

I'M A CROTCHETY OLD MAN WITH A TIGHT COIN PURSE!
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Ordering Illy isn't the wisest move for a small biz. Illy is really good, but it is CRAZY expensive. They use it at the restaurant Ryan works at and there are a number of local/regional roasteries making coffee easily as good or better for cheaper. I am sure some of the crowd they are catering to will eat that Illy name up, but I would rather support another sort of roaster if we have our own place...and maybe we will...
Posted: Feb 26, 2008 10:41 pm

hey, those prices aren't bad. better than the sidewalk cafe or whatever it's called on overton park.

i don't know where they get their european cafe idea (that arched building across the street seems to have more of a euro feel), but good luck to 'em.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 11:28 am

illy at home not so bad illy at a coffee house not so much... i'm going to brmgham mon this company down there is going to let me blend signture coffee for the restaurant 2 types. one is for charity one for house... pretty fucking excted.... the farm is getting bigger every day we got this badass tiller machine.. i cant stop using it ..the coolest thing since bumper cars..pictures soon
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 11:38 am

Awesome shags--what is the company?

Yeah, illy is OK. I mean, where are they roasting it is my question? I gots to get my coffee as freshly roasted as possible and for now, NC is roasting the day before or day of and then shipping overnight or 2 day. I need to be home roasting. What do I need, Jack Stands?
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 1:54 pm

better than the sidewalk cafe or whatever it's called on overton park.

yeah that place blows and they're kinda exprunsive.

dear memphis venture capitalists: give jack stands a coffee shop of his own.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 1:58 pm

I just farted.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 2:22 pm

What do I need, Jack Stands?

Correct.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 2:27 pm

give jack stands a coffee shop of his own.

That last batch was so good I don't even want anymore unless I can have it all of the time.
It's so great I'm scared of it
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 8:10 pm

dear memphis venture capitalists: give jack stands a coffee shop of his own.

We're getting in on this. Jack can roast and I can train baristas...as can Ryan. It is a draw as to whom is the better shot-puller. I steam milk better than Ryan, but maybe Ryan consistently pulls better espresso.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 9:19 pm

What do I need, Jack Stands?
I may be unleashing a new secret on you folks soon for doing your own at home. I saw it at Target the other day for about $30.I'm going to try it after payday. If it works, I'll let you know.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 9:25 pm | Edited by: saispas

Great news! My friend roasted some espresso for me the other day and I have been drinking it instead of the Counter Culture for a few days and it really is stellar! The crema is not to be fucked with.

I got a single origin microlot espresso from them the other day--Finca Mauritania Pulp Natural Espresso
Santa Ana, El Salvador
Single Origin Espresso Microlot
An experiment by our roasting department has resulted in one of most delicious single origin espressos we have ever experienced. Roasted to the perfect pitch for espresso, this unique, very limited single origin espresso offers rich, round notes of dark chocolate, molasses, cherry, and licorice above a smooth, creamy body
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 9:35 pm

That last batch was so good I don't even want anymore unless I can have it all of the time.

I'll get you some more, Golightly. I took the extra from the last batch I made down to Eric and TK at the store. I got the blend and roast consistent, and (if I do say so, myself) I really out-did myself this time. Great aroma, thickness stays the same, but the flavor litterally changes minute by minute after brewing.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 9:37 pm

single origin microlot

I looked at some of the Rwanda crops last time I ordered, because I never had it. But ever since Yamhill's comment on the Starbucks thread, I can't think of it without laughing.
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 9:43 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

i'm going to brmgham mon this company down there is going to let me blend signture coffee for the restaurant 2 types.

That is awesome!

(triple post!)
Posted: Feb 27, 2008 11:07 pm

Cafe Eclectic is easily the nicest coffee shop in town. And they have a drum riser for performances. No crazy Harris to harass the women either.
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 9:41 am

I am just happy they are serving breakfast; I hope they are good at it. Anyone had their egg dishes?
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 11:35 am

anyone know what's going on at the old walgreens at central/hollywood? it looks like they are finally working on it.

i used to see shelby foote shopping there.
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 1:55 pm | Edited by: miss linda

I hope that chain linked fence stays there, whatever happens to it.
Maybe someone will turn it into an all asian strip club.
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 2:16 pm

I just had some bacon and potatoes with a couple of biscuits. The bacon is good quality. I would rather the potatoes been more seasoned, but the texture was about right. The biscuits were the drop kind and went really well with some jelly and what seemed to be really high quality butter. With that I split a chocolate soda with my daughter and had some coffee. The bill came out to just over ten bucks.

I have no idea how they can keep up the prices on the food, but it's probably a good idea to get your five dollar spanish omelet with chorizo and manchego cheese while the getting is good.

The place looks great too.
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 3:34 pm

j9 and amanda attempted to drop in for coffee, and that was a no go... place was swamped - weather's great, and everybody wants to try the new place.

there's a drive through... which looks hilarious. down an alley, into another alley... ????

sounds promising for the food, though. will give it a shot.
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 6:34 pm

The Drive through action cracks me up...stop the madness!
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 7:20 pm

It's really a great place for a coffee drive through, since half of the county is coming into work that way every morning. I'm just curious as to what happens on trash pickup day.
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 7:38 pm

Yeah, I just have a problem with driving through a window and idling your car for minutes just to get coffee...though I did it in Portland a few times for sure!
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 10:06 pm

anyone know what's going on at the old walgreens at central/hollywood? it looks like they are finally working on it

There's a piece of cardboard twist-tied to the fence that says "Church of the Redeemer" or some other Christian shit.
Posted: Mar 1, 2008 11:54 pm

gas station at lamar / airways back in bizness...
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 10:41 am | Edited by: street

Small article buried in Friday's CA about possible opposition to the new Chick-Fil-A at Union & Rembert:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/feb/29/heritage-opposes-plan -for-new-chick-fil-a-site/

Chick-fil-A's plan to raze Cumberland Presbyterian Church's archives and administration building at Union and Rembert has prompted opposition from preservationists.

Memphis Heritage Inc. is opposing the Atlanta-based fast-food giant's plans to demolish the church building to build a restaurant.

"Their plans are to use the entire site for the fast-food restaurant in the middle with parking on both the east and west sides," said June West, executive director of Memphis Heritage. "Now don't get me wrong, I want a Chick-fil-A in Midtown, but not by tearing down this structure.

"We're not trying to be a headache. We just want to bring it to the attention of the neighborhood," she said.

Chick-fil-A is under contract to buy the property, which was built in the 1930s, and has filed a building permit for a new restaurant at 61 S. Rembert in Midtown, said Henry Stratton of Colliers, Wilkinson and Snowden, who has represented the church in its efforts to sell the property.

Cumberland Presbyterian has already bought new property on Varnavas Drive near Interstate 240 and Germantown Parkway in Cordova.

Officials with the Memphis and Shelby County Office of Planning and Development said they have no plans on file for a new restaurant.

Stratton described the Gothic archives and administration building as virtually unusable.

"It is functionally obsolete and we couldn't get anybody to pay $100 per foot for the building," Stratton said. "If Memphis Heritage wants to buy it, we'll be happy to sell it to them.

"On certain buildings, I couldn't agree with (Memphis Heritage) more," he said. "It's a pretty building, but there's no other use for it."

Stratton also said that a new Chick-fil-A restaurant would bring much-needed tax revenue to the city.

"We'll take a nonprofit building that is not on the tax rolls and get some tax revenue from Chick-fil-A," he said.
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 11:09 am

Stratton described the Gothic archives and administration building as virtually unusable.

"virtually unusable". Please.

While I am of course biased (June is my aunt), I can vouch she definitely wants a Chick-fil-A in Midtown! That is no lie!

Go check out that building; it is a hidden gem. I never knew it was there.
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 1:09 pm

it's a beautiful building. as far as "virtually unusable", surely someone would use it for an office space.
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 1:09 pm

Posted: Mar 2, 2008 2:45 pm

An idea that Memphis Heritage was floating around was to contact the Chik-Fil-A founder and appeal to his Christian credo. I suppose you could scare the shit out of the man; "God might be very angry with you if you purposely destroy His Home."

However, I think they man is an Evangelical; he probably thinks Presbos are going to Hell anyway.
Posted: Mar 2, 2008 3:04 pm

I need to be home roasting. What do I need, Jack Stands?

@~@~Bray!@~@~
Posted: Mar 3, 2008 12:51 pm

gas station at lamar / airways back in bizness...

Good times!
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 5:45 pm

Quiznos on union gone... did it move? horrible location.

that lenny's on cooper is always slammed.
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 9:14 pm

No, that Quiznos just up and closed several weeks ago. As much as I dug their subs, I hated the service there. Sort of the textbook definition of half-assed. I finally quit going when the Sunday paper had a full page insert of Quizno's coupons... and a day later, the Union store posted a sign on the door saying that they weren't going to honor them. Eff that.

Anybody else familiar with the Wawa chain of deli/convenience store/gas stations on the east coast? I would KILL to have a Wawa's in Midtown. Awesome subs that you order by touchscreen, telling them exactly how you want it. Then you wander around the convenience store for a few minutes or go pump your gas while they make it, or hit the biggest beverage bar I've ever seen... something like 20 kinds of coffee/cappuccino, and any fountain drink you could possibly want, with optional shots of cherry or vanilla syrup. It's good, it's fast, it's how you want it, and it's fairly cheap. If God had a convenience store, it would be Wawa's.
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 9:35 pm

I was very disturbed by one one visit to Quizno's and viewing that whole system of the conveyor belt toaster thingee...blech.
Posted: Mar 4, 2008 10:27 pm

viva la Wawa's
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 12:26 am

ate some new haven wawa's one summer... 99 cent hot dogs obliterated by free chili. yes!

and re: quiznos, a couple of mis amigos got food poisoning from that location... not my #1 eating locale (i ate there once, no problems), just observing what's coming & going in the retail landscape...
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 12:32 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

On the outskirts of midtown, I noticed someone painted the crazy radiation symbol/flat map statue by the Walnut Grove/Poplar/Union exchange thing. Some band was getting their picture taken by it. I should really pay more attention to driving though, because the train overpass is now down to one lane. Almost beefed.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 12:59 am

I got the blend and roast consistent, and (if I do say so, myself) I really out-did myself this time.

was my first time w/ your coffee but it was superb!

Cafe Eclectic is easily the nicest coffee shop in town.

yes - it was FAB! good coffee, nice environment, the room has great potential for music & more too
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 11:05 am

Wawa's tea by the gallon on tour on the east coast.

Quizno's was good early in the franchise. Then they decided it would be a good idea to only make subs topped only w/ meat and totally DRENCHED in some kind of disgusting sauce. The one on Main st. has opened, closed, re-opened, and re-closed.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 5:18 pm

I should really pay more attention to driving though, because the train overpass is now down to one lane. Almost beefed.

Try it while it's raining, I was a-scared for my fenders.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 6:29 pm

nice environment, the room has great potential for music & more too
I smell a TSOT show just to kill the vibe.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 6:45 pm

Staags will play, too. We're all about burning bridges.
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 9:10 pm

i heard miss linda is thinking about becoming a brunette...
Posted: Mar 6, 2008 1:06 pm

I need a change!
Posted: Mar 10, 2008 7:23 pm

we gots a vintage store going in where monte shane's gallery was, between pizza & yvonne's studio... great!
Posted: Mar 11, 2008 9:16 am

Yes!

Now all we...errr I...need is a decent clothing store that doesn't reek of tacky/2003 or way too much money.
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 4:12 pm

Paulette's out. Happy Mexican in.
Posted: Jan 4, 2011 6:05 pm

Paulette's out. Happy Mexican in.

Win/win!
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 4:06 pm

not that I care, but Paulettes moving to Mud Island is the worst buisness decision for an established place Ive ever seen. Terrible. Happy Mexicans aight.
Posted: Jan 5, 2011 10:29 pm

WaWa rules!
Posted: Jan 6, 2011 8:25 pm

loved some wawa chili cheese dogs back in what, '87? lived on 'em.

spot next to lenny's at corner of cooper / young is going to be a YoLo (?) frozen yogurt shop...

the cleared out space where the target was supposed to go is HUGE.

no neighbors next to goner on either side, yet.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 7:17 am

Cooper/Union for YoLo? YoLo's yogurt is...yogurt, buy they do pimp a lot of local businesses' toppings.

Agreed, Paulette's move to Harbor Town is a hilariously bad move.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 10:12 am

Yolo is tasty but super, duper pricey..unless ya wanna get like 2 bites worth. Its sold by weight.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 10:49 am

happy mexican t-minus and GO!Paulette's out. Happy Mexican in.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 10:52 am

Bring back the mexican buffet.
Posted: Jan 7, 2011 12:20 pm

spot next to lenny's at corner of cooper / young is going to be a YoLo (?) frozen yogurt shop...

Jackie Chan's is out?
Posted: Jan 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Yep, Jackie Chan is out.

Reef (ex-Blue Fish) seems to be closed... hope something goes in there. Hate that 2 corners at Cooper-Young are going to be empty. They are doing construction in the ex-Dish, so hopefully something will be in there soon.

Went to new Casablanca's on Poplar by Clark Tower... busy and as always really good. Good to see Amir.

Went to Mexican that is now in the ex-Taco Bell that was Los Garibaldis (forget the new name...) really REALLY good. Excellent salsas (3). Carne Asada was in strips but was a huge portion. Homemade beans. Good prices.

Other stuff going on?
Posted: Jan 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Kiss Mike should put his Kiss museum in one of those places.
Posted: Jan 20, 2011 11:32 pm

Eggleston museum is being considered...
Posted: Jan 21, 2011 9:09 am

Yeah man...the ex-taco bell/ex-los garibaldis is great. Cant remember the name either. Had breakfast their recently as well. Tasty, lots of food and on the cheap!
Posted: Jan 21, 2011 10:06 am

They are doing construction in the ex-Dish, so hopefully something will be in there soon.

An Italian place, I am hearing.
Posted: Jan 21, 2011 10:49 am

As Richard James about Italian in Memphis...
Posted: Jan 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Somebody should put a barbecue place in the old Marena's/Roustica/Pizzestone and call it Overton Pork.

It should have sandwiches on poboy loaves.
Posted: Jan 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Yeah man...the ex-taco bell/ex-los garibaldis is great. Cant remember the name either. Had breakfast their recently as well. Tasty, lots of food and on the cheap!

Los Piscos!

Agree it rules. I went there a while ago thinking it was still Garibaldis and it wasn't until after I ate that I realized it had changed hands.

I did try to go to lunch there Tuesday though and they weren't open? Not sure if it was just for the day or what? Ended up hitting the Michoacan joint on Macon that totally rules instead.
Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®