Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Midtown Changes Going On Right Now...
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 12:50 am

1. Pizza place next to Goner open tomorrow 7/20?
2. Madison Flame for lease
3. Mexican Restaurant & Bar opening on Union
4. Ladies Night at the Buc
5. What's up with the 2 Way Inn / Antique Lady corner?
6. Mi Thanh gone, new Vietnamese Restaurant open in its place

more? anyone know anything?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 1:45 am

Bring it back. Not Madison Flame, but, you know. You don't have to call it by the original name, but that place is primo.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 1:46 am

Where? What's up with this?

I've heard rumors that the corner of Central and Cooper (the Antique Mall that's been without a renter since the first of the year) is going to be refashioned with a fancy restaurant, and no more liquor store.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 2:21 am

I pulled some weeds today.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 2:29 am

new restaurant opens first of august i believe, but i think the liquor store will stay.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 2:41 am

I hope the liquor store stays! I live right down the street and buy my beverages here when I'm too lazy to drive to Buster's/Joe's. it's great to walk the dogs to the liquor store!

Justice, who's the chef at the new restaurant?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 3:25 am

7. Cafe Eclectic still has a long way to go before opening.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 3:38 am

The Flame (Antenna) is $2150 per month. The Flame's lease is up at the end of August.

I think it would be great to have a cool addition to the corner...

Also, the Strings and Things building has been bought (1.6 M) and the new owner says he's going to make it a retail plaza with entrance off of Willett that will feature a 1500-2000 seat smoke-free venue.

They also bought the seedy apartments to the south (Monroe & Willett) and are leveling it for the "Plaza Entrance" that will flow in to the building.

And I'm sure every one knows that Target has puchased 1 parcel of 47 properties (9.9 M) and another parcel (1.1 M) in the Washington bottoms area around Cleveland & Poplar.

I heard tale of renewed interest in the Sears Crosstown building as well.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 3:40 am

I heard tale of renewed interest in the Sears Crosstown building as well.

Andy Cates has a contract to buy it. Since he's a local who has invested heavily in this city, I feel comfortable with him, vs. some out-of-town yahoo who would put a Chili's and a Gap in the thing ...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/editorials/article/0,2845,MCA_2534 8_5631727,00.html
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:05 am

The Flame (Antenna) is $2150 per month. The Flame's lease is up at the end of August.

hmm, zubie is supposed to be back in town soon
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:24 am

come on s tibbs! zubie! Roll it on out!

something's going on construction-wise next to cotton row studios... maybe just another medical facility, but still, it's something.

the block is hottt!

oh, and by rumor:

8. Pho Hoa Binh closing?

where will midtown musicians/artists eat now?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:43 am

I hope the liquor store stays!
Central Liquors is moving to the old Humane Society building. They got the approval yesterday from what I hear. I asked because I was wondering where I was going to go to buy the old house swill!
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 5:03 am

Central Liquors is moving to the old Humane Society building.
whoo-hoo! now i won't even have to cross the street!
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 7:27 am

Yeah, I heard that the Pho Hoa people had a death in the family recently and that was the catalyst in them closing. Bummers. How's Hung gonna throw shows?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 2:04 pm

some out-of-town yahoo who would put a Chili's and a Gap in the thing ...

Never underestimate what locals will end up doing. I hope for the best, believe me. The Gap has been having huge financial issues and is under restructuring, so I doubt you have to worry about them for a little while. They did sign Patrick Robinson as head designer, so you may even see improvements. Yes, I subscribe to Women's Wear Daily.

Carry on.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:03 pm

something's going on construction-wise next to cotton row studios... maybe just another medical facility, but still, it's something.

That larger brown building t? I think its going to be another self storage place. At least they're making it look really nice..
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:38 pm

this is all too much.... i need a pimm's cup and a xanex
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:41 pm

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Oh, look out you rock 'n rollers
Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strain)
Ch-ch-Changes
Pretty soon you're gonna get a little older
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Cafe Eclectic still has a long way to go before opening.

seems like work there has come to a complete standstill
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:03 pm

Wasn't there a short-lived ladies night there a few years ago?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:26 pm

"Midtown Vault" is the new storage facility at the corner of McNeil @ Madison.

As for Pho Hoa Binh, Hung told me he was not cooking any more. He will most likely go to Washington state for a while and visit an Uncle and work. He and Nu (the owner lady/ significant other) seem to have called it quits.

Appearently, after the death of Minh (young man who helped out there) a promise was made to close the restaurant. Now, I think she will keep it open as long as she can- but no Hung.

Also, "mums the word" but the company I am affiliated with in real estate is supposedly in negotiations to aquire the Anderton's East building for our Midtown office. A further commitment to the Midtown community.

Lot's of asbestos though, and it will have to be gutted. I'll believe it when I see it.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:36 pm

Steve McGehee dropped by the other day when he saw the "For Lease" sign on the old club.

We laughed and told some stories about the good old days.

Jokingly, I said let's do it again- we'll take turns "babysitting" one night a week between family and friends.

Any who, the "Sign" came up in conversation. I told him that I had heard some folks maybe wanting to re-live the glory days and were inquiring about the sign and if it would ever go back to the Antenna.

I reassured him, as I had told Mark before, that the sign stays where it is until I close the doors. Then, it goes back to the McGehees as I have ALWAYS promised.

So, if any one is wondering...

And there you have it.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 6:52 pm

Where is the new 2-story Target with the shopping cart escalators? Have they mowed over Overton Square yet?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 7:43 pm

Wasn't there a short-lived ladies night there a few years ago?

we are going to try and do this one right...top shelf danceable 60s and 70s tunes and the drink specials are going to include special drinks created just for the night as well as regular mixed drinks...should be a good time. Also we plan on doing some themed ladies night as well...stay tuned, the first one is next week!
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 7:50 pm

Ladies Night at the Buc

All the ladies you can eat?
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 7:56 pm | Edited by: saispas

this is all too much.... i need a pimm's cup and a xanex

Oh my god. This is fucking great, Shags. Pimm's cup: My only gin drink. Though I did have this killer gin cocktail the other day with cucumber and basil in it.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 8:28 pm

I noticed El Mezcal on Union last night when I stopped by Kimbrough for my nightly bottles of wine. That'll be convenient as hell for takeout needs!
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 8:31 pm

Has anyone heard tale of any new wig stores?
Cause that's what mid-town needs
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 9:20 pm

Where? What's up with this?

El Mezcal. There's been one on Perkins Extd. forever. I used to go there to get away from all the ruckus at whatever that place is called on Highland... sorry--brain-dead at the moment. Standard stuff. Not bad.

Noticed Milo's all boarded up today. Looks like shit.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 10:23 pm

Yeah, it does look like shit, but maybe they're boarding it up because something's happening in there finally?

the strip where midtown books was is still dead, too.
Posted: Jul 20, 2007 11:28 pm

the strip where midtown books was is still dead, too.

I heard this was being turned in to a Hooters-type bar by the dude who owns T.J. Mulligans/Dan McGuinness. It had a pseudo-witty name that I can't remember.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 12:32 am

aw crap - thats right across the street!
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 4:37 am

Melo's now controlled by Dan McGuinness owner.

Will compete with the Monkey.
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 5:29 am

Bar Wars!
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 11:06 pm

8. Pho Hoa Binh closing?
nooooooooooooo

and I almost think Hung's departure from memphis might qualify as a separate entry in the list..

also, was I dreaming when I heard there's an "independent" ice cream shop opening in Cooper-Young? Actually I'm pretty sure I was dreaming. But.. wouldn't that be a great idea if it was real?
Posted: Jul 21, 2007 11:34 pm

Pizza place is open! and good!
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 3:06 am

whats up with the desert place?

is it open yet?
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 3:19 am

7. the Brown Jug Beer Barn/cheap cigarette auxiliary on Summer Ave... or has that been there for awhile?
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 3:32 am

7. the Brown Jug Beer Barn/cheap cigarette auxiliary on Summer Ave

about three months, maybe a bit longer.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 7:43 am

Ladies Night at the Buccaneer will be interesting. I've been a full-time regular at the Buc since I moved to Memphis, and I haven't yet seen anything resembling a "lady" there.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 10:52 pm

went to vien dong lasterday... not so hot yet.

interesting interior changes, but i miss me some mi thanh.

will give 'em another shot, very nice service, but needs to be fresher and maybe they're redoing it, but no vegetarian sections in their menu.
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 10:59 pm

someone burned the house 4 houses down from alix and i down last night. it was nucking futs. was ridin' back and noticed big billows of smoke comin' out of the house down the street. the whole house is utterly fucked. just lucky that the house next to it wasn't taken down with it.

the house was empty and apparently it had been set on fire by someone who was backing out of the driveway rather fast. i didn't get a good look at the car, but someone was trying to get the hell away from there. it was the second time they tried to catch the house on fire too. the 4th of july apparently they had an unsuccessful attempt. crazings. i hate to see one of those cute 1920's bungalows go up in smoke like that. just glad that no one was hurt.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 1:36 am

jeff gunn hates bungalow houses
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 3:58 am

I haven't yet seen anything resembling a "lady" there.

given the buc's proximity to all the "ladies" on Claybrook Street, it should be no problem filling it up on Thursdays. I hope the "ladies" like rare funk/soul sides ...
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 9:10 pm

after reading this i went to have lunch at Pho Hoa, and fuck if Tam(the what? 18ish? old girl there) didn't say that they were closing as somebody buys it... damn,damn,damn.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 9:41 pm

Danvers still kicking ass
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 10:30 pm

I BEG YOUR PARDON...
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 10:35 pm

I BEG YOUR PARDON...

I was wondering how long it was gonna be before dude got called on this.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 10:58 pm

And, Michelle and miss linda are "ladies" too!
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 11:20 pm

sometimes ya gotta just take a deep breath...
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 11:43 pm

Angry Bob told me that Miss Linda got gonorrhea from a dog? Not very ladylike in my book.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 11:46 pm

she's always a lady to me...
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 12:21 am

wait a minute...I think that's "she's always a woman to me"...
I'm confused.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 12:56 am

given the buc's proximity to all the "ladies" on Claybrook Street, it should be no problem filling it up on Thursdays. I hope the "ladies" like rare funk/soul sides ...

and top shelf ye' ye' sides, raw 50s and 60s RnB, 60s and 70s brazilian and latin sides, garage, euro au go go, psych....the best sides in town, no shit...come on out! real ladies or pretend ladies, fun for all!
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:45 am

Can the ladyboys who work the corner at Monroe and Cleveland and hang out at Tops Barbecue get free drinks?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 5:33 am

this just in, Ghetto Kroger is no longer 24 hours, now 7 AM to 1 AM.

i miss My Tahn like bad.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 9:18 am

Pizza place is open! and good!

How many times can this dude open the same $35 pizza place?!?!
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 3:46 pm

add RIP Wild Bill to the list, fate of club as of yet unknown.

if there is a worst time to go to that kroger, very late night was one of 'em.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 9:13 pm

Hell yeah! I live at the Kimbrough, so I can add another bar and Mexican food (Taco Bell doesn't count) to the list of great shit I can walk to from my place!

Margaritas anyone?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 9:32 pm

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! fuckin' suckola. what the hell am i going to do when i want a pizza at 3am? i don't wanna go to schnucks! fuck.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 9:52 pm

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! fuckin' suckola. what the hell am i going to do when i want a pizza at 3am? i don't wanna go to schnucks! fuck.

call destiny diner 725-9809. I think they deliver till, like, dawn.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 10:25 pm

fuckin' suckola

this has made its way into the "phrases you love" thread on the ???? board.
Thanks, elle...nice!
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 10:26 pm

The Piggly Wiggly is still open hell of late, I believe.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 10:41 pm

a song in the making
concept album
FUCKIN SUCKOLA
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 8:19 am

yeah, I think fuckin suckola is a good'un
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 2:44 am | Edited by: the 1 and only

I noticed THE COMPLEX is for lease...
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 5:15 am

this from http://halfbakered.blogspot.com/

Better News Than the Paper!

Lots and lots of news about closing and opening businesses in this thread on the Goner Records board. Seems there's a flurry of activity in my little area of Midtown of late.

The info about "Hung" of Pho Hoa Binh is amusing to me, as on my block (right around the corner!) it's widely assumed he's the big drug kingpin for the crack dealers in the area. I've heard this several times now from a variety of people. We see him all the time just walking the block, watching everything that's going on. Sometimes he'll wander back into the apartments and just stand there., looking around and watching Sometimes he'll just stand on the corner (Monroe & Avalon) for hours, watching the street. He never speaks to anyone.

I'm sorry to hear about the closing of PHB, as they make a killer curry-potato soup. The first time I ate there, I was halfway into a plate of the lunch buffet before I realised it was tofu!
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 8:02 am

If I smoked crack, I'd buy it from Hung.

He's always been cool with me.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 4:59 pm

me, too... and the, uh, people i know who might be interested in that kinda stuff have never mentioned him so i dunno... pretty weird behavior though... monroe & avalon ain't main st.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 5:40 pm

Any who, the "Sign" came up in conversation. I told him that I had heard some folks maybe wanting to re-live the glory days and were inquiring about the sign and if it would ever go back to the Antenna.

I reassured him, as I had told Mark before, that the sign stays where it is until I close the doors. Then, it goes back to the McGehees as I have ALWAYS promised.

So wait, if someone wanted to re-open the Antenna in it's original location, you wouldn't part with the sign?
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 5:41 pm

I wish I could do this.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 7:36 pm

I think I played in a band with Andy Cates...in high school...
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 7:42 pm

"Hung" of Pho Hoa Binh

I saw him fall over in his chair at Murphy's once. He was at a table on the "outer-edge" (that 6 inch step up) of the pool tables, and one leg of the chair slipped off. He went down hard. Very hard. He laid there for a second just looking around in disbelief, but I don't believe he said a word. He just got up and took a sip from his drink.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 8:06 pm

Fox Ridge Pizza closed down. oh, sorry...wrong city.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 8:45 pm

this makes me sad beyond words...best Pizza, I grew up on it.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 9:09 pm

yeah, i was thinking of you eric when i drove by there last week and saw the sign saying they had closed. i was like, eric is gonna be bummed to hear this.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 10:17 pm

I just drove by the Flippen piano building on McLean across from Snowden. They are renovating one third of that building now...have no idea what is going in there or if the whole little block of storefronts will be included.
Posted: Aug 1, 2007 10:56 pm

I heard the building on the same block as strings and things, but on the other end, across from the leather shop i think, is being turned in to storage units- ugh!

I'll miss that not so little introverted brother at Pho who would buzz/fuck with patrons with a remote controlled car as they walked in the parking lot.just great. Drunk hung dumpster diving the salvation army drop at the pig too.

i spend a lot of time in that neighborhood by pho(Willet, Clark,..) and it seems that car break-ins have stepped up, even more if ya can belive that, so watch yo stuff.
Posted: Aug 3, 2007 8:48 pm

Thanks for the link, Eric. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same guy, but I asked the older gentleman I always see walking around my neighborhood (who I assume is "Hung," I don't know his name) if his restaurant was closing and he said, "No." Although, I also had lunch there today and they were completely out of soft drinks -- only tea and water today. Not sure what's going on there.

BTW, to answer the poster above, the Mad Pig is 24/7.
Posted: Aug 5, 2007 5:02 am

We saw workers going into Cafe Eclectic today. I figured they ran outta funds. Maybe they scrounged up some more dough. I'm just praying for good coffee.
Posted: Aug 5, 2007 5:44 am

Oh god. I grew up in Fox Meadows. That pizza was ridiculous. I have an insane story about that place that I'm going to save for when I come home tonight at five in the morning.
Posted: Aug 6, 2007 8:21 pm

I'm just praying for good coffee.

Starbucks
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 3:59 pm

i'm leaving cooper young..que sra sra
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 4:02 pm

Where you going? Sanderlin????
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 5:26 pm | Edited by: eric o

shag's gone WAY OUT!

Storage Units on madison are done (at least look done).

Inz & Outz got a new sign (don't know when that happened).

Building is for lease next to 2 chicks & broom / lightyears vintage... might be spency, but cool location.

doesn't sound good for pho hoa binh.
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 9:59 pm

I noticed the Sweet dessert shop next to the new Burke's Books has a beer permit sign up ...
Posted: Aug 9, 2007 10:10 pm

what is that big building going up on the Highland strip? Where the old bakery used to be...
Posted: Aug 10, 2007 7:14 pm

where will people who think they're going to see/meet a bunch of lesbians dancing and making out, go now?
Posted: Aug 10, 2007 7:15 pm

Goner.
Posted: Aug 10, 2007 7:20 pm

it's happening. NOW!
Posted: Aug 10, 2007 7:53 pm

We all head over to "One More" after 8:00pm
let the gay times roll honey!
Posted: Aug 11, 2007 11:37 pm

shit i ignore the goner board for like a month and all hell breaks loose

PHB is closed? Wild Bills? Madison Flame for lease?

christ.

i feel like i just got kicked in the gut.
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 12:28 am

ignore the goner board and you don't know whassup!
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 2:32 am

sometimes its better not to know
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 2:34 am

Madison Ave. is about to be one gigantic vacant lot.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 4:24 pm

CA reports Andy Cates officially bought the Sears building... no comment from him.

Should be interesting.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 7:30 pm

someone burned the house 4 houses down from alix and i down last night. it was nucking futs. was ridin' back and noticed big billows of smoke comin' out of the house down the street. the whole house is utterly fucked. just lucky that the house next to it wasn't taken down with it.

the house was empty and apparently it had been set on fire by someone who was backing out of the driveway rather fast. i didn't get a good look at the car, but someone was trying to get the hell away from there. it was the second time they tried to catch the house on fire too. the 4th of july apparently they had an unsuccessful attempt. crazings. i hate to see one of those cute 1920's bungalows go up in smoke like that. just glad that no one was hurt.

memphisflyer-------
If Mayor Herenton's penchant for straight talk is well known, that of city councilman Myron Lowery doesn't yet own the fame it deserves. How's this for a commentary on the recent rash of fires that have consumed known "crack" houses in the city?:

"I smile when I read about these arsonists, because somebody has taken it upon themselves to be the vigilante..... Somebody's has gotten smart, and they're not waiting on due process. I'm just hopeful that nobody gets injured or killed in some of these fires and they don't spread the other homes in the area. But somebody's smart. They're thinking about what they're doing.

"These fires are not happening by themselves, and they aren't being caused by the homeless people who live there. And they aren't being set by the drug folks who do their deals there, who need those places to operate.".
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 8:53 pm

Ka ching! Insurance time!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 9:02 pm

Madison Ave. is about to be one gigantic vacant lot.
No shit, the south side of Madison, from cooper to around rembert is an almost unbroken chain of vacant buildings. The recently boarded up greek restaurant and book store looks real classy.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 9:05 pm

They've started rehabbing the old cleaners across from Snowden, too. That little strip of McLean looks like it might be happening again!
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 9:17 pm

Word is Eric Martin bought some land near Joe's liquor for a new music store.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:02 pm

They re-opened on g'town pkwy at dexter in east jesusland.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:12 pm

Word is Eric Martin bought some land near Joe's liquor for a new music store.

Right next to burke's former location?

Mapco across from Joes is apparently is going to be torn down soon and rebuilt as nice convenient store.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:15 pm

That self storage place on Madison looks terrific! I can't believe that the owners were able to turn the eyesore into something nice.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 10:18 pm

LoMad rules!
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 8:56 pm | Edited by: indiepop

Destiny Diner is going to be closed during lunch starting September 1st and Printer's Alley doesn't open until 10pm these days. No more waking up at the bar.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 9:45 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

"I smile when I read about these arsonists, because somebody has taken it upon themselves to be the vigilante......

Local reporters have become so sanctimonious and concerned about the rash of house fires. Almost all of the abandoned homes burnt to a crisp were freakin' crack houses.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33874
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 10:49 pm

Anyone know about this new music venue TCB is supposedly opening where Strings and Things is?
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 10:53 pm

Almost all of the abandoned homes burnt to a crisp were freakin' crack houses.

FIRESTORM WILL PURIFY!

I bet those apartments at Hawthorne and Poplar that have "CRACK HOUSE" painted on all the doors are next on the list.

Someone told me that the former owner of Squash Blossom bought the Burke's land to open some sort of deli.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 11:14 pm

um, vacant lot = new development right there. the whole street will likely change soon.

crappy apartment bldg at willet & monroe being destroyed today...
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 11:35 pm

TCB has already moved their offices into the old Strings and Thieves building. They are tearing down the nappy apts. behind it as well as the parking garage deal on the east side of the building. There is a going to be a smoke free music venue, some retail(possible Ben and Jerrys etc.) and a pub with a huge outdoor patio suroounded by a rather large brick wall. Going to be pretty nice looks like.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 3:48 am

Hey hitone -

hear that?

you should stay smoking now so there will be an alternative!!!
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 4:51 am

you should stay smoking now so there will be an alternative!!!

no, don't. Your venue is a fucking hotbox. The smoke is so thick in there it burns my eyes.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 5:25 am

Seriously. I'm no cool scene example, but the last time I was at the Hi-Tone I left when the smoke (mine, too) started turning my eyeballs to leather.

And I still wanna hear that "hot night, crack pipe" song again.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:43 am

non-smoking babies

he-haw
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 9:48 am

Chances are very good that the Hi-Tone will become a non-smoking venue like everyone else that wants to stay in business.

The positive? We'll probably build a patio.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 3:42 pm

I ate at Bosco's last night...what a breath of fresh air...literally.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 4:16 pm

The positive?

the Hi-Tone will become a non-smoking venue
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 10:36 pm | Edited by: miss linda

i SMOKE CRACK IN THE LADIES ROOM AT YOUNG AVE. DELI!

it's true ....4 times now.

ladies are NICE to ms. linda............ sometimes
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 3:42 pm

non-smoking babies

he-haw

Hehe.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 3:30 am

Speaking of the Hi-Tone, I heard a rumor from a not-particularly-reliable source. Joel or Dan, can you comment?
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 3:58 am

If it involved anything bad, it\'s 100% false. Rock, rock, and more rock is in our future.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 4:32 am | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

right on! I think I'll go check that place out!
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 10:13 pm

Hi Tone has a new owner.

Dan still rules!
Posted: Aug 27, 2007 6:58 pm

what is that big building going up on the Highland strip? Where the old bakery used to be...

it's going to be called The Stratum on Highland...part of the whole redevelopment plan over there.

it's going to have retail on the bottom floor, parking on the next 2 floors, then apartments on the next 3-4 floors. opening by the time fall semester starts in 2008.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 8:48 pm

so, I go out of town for 4 days and they throw this stuff at me...

My BP at the corner of Union & Cooper= closed.

Doing work inside of the old Square Foods building, too. Maybe just demolition?
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 8:51 pm

Doing work inside of the old Square Foods building, too. Maybe just demolition?
bayou and le chardonay are moving there
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 9:01 pm

Are they renovating it? I hope they start selling beer in there.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 9:13 pm

bayou and le chardonay are moving there

Really? I like that Bayou patio.

Doesn't look like BP renovations. Looks like sayonara-ville.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 9:20 pm

Yep...it was in the CA Sunday. Same folks own both and they share a kitchen. I guess they will split up that old Squre Foods building. I agree..kinda weird cause I like the Bayou patio as well. Moving cause they need more room and because current owners of the Square stuff continue to not be able to make a decision on what they wanna do with the property. I like the Bayous wings too after some cold beers.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 9:20 pm

Yep...it was in the CA this weekend. Same folks own both and they share a kitchen. I guess they will split up that old Squre Foods building. I agree..kinda weird cause I like the Bayou patio as well. Moving cause they need more room and because current owners of the Square stuff continue to not be able to make a decision on what they wanna do with the property. I like the Bayous wings too after some cold beers.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 9:23 pm

i was talking about this the other day figure they are making room for a target in the square
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 10:17 pm

I noticed another one closed too - the one at Poplar and Evergreen maybe? I always hated that place...
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 10:28 pm

The BPs down here all turned into Shells...maybe this is gonna happen.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 10:35 pm

the one at Poplar and Evergreen maybe? I always hated that place...
That one redefined sketchy, but its being torn down to make room for a "Mapco Mart"... supposedly like a higher end convenience store.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 10:42 pm

i always liked the union/cooper one. no beer, but not idiots behind the counter, either.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 10:51 pm

I heard that BP/Amoco have jacked the owner (family business there for years) so bad that he is closing and re-locating his family.

Something about the profit split and they doubled his rent.

Said he would sell at pennies on the dollar so they won't make any more off of him.

Any one else hear this?
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 10:55 pm

The Square's buildings are supposedly eaten up with termites, etc. and are being considered "functionally obsolete".

Target is supposed to be going in at Poplar & Cleveland area (Washington Bottoms). Spent $10 million on land.

I don't see how you could retro fit Square Foods building to accomodate two restaurants. Will be interesting as well as cozy unless they add on.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 10:59 pm

being considered "functionally obsolete".

This is some new construction/developer's total bullshit; that development is the most underutilized spot in Midtown, ripe for some creative retail. Now, if it is being considered "functionally obsolete" due to extreme termite damage, I take that all back.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 11:02 pm

That is total bullshit. They're out of town owners who don't give a shit about Memphis and will gladly tear them down for a quick buck to build some other crap.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 11:07 pm

They're out of town owners who don't give a shit about Memphis and will gladly tear them down for a quick buck to build some other crap

This is Fact.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 12:59 pm

That is indeed the case and has been for years. The Bayou and La Chardonnay are pretty small places as they are now. The Square Foods building is pretty big and the 2 places share a kitchen anyway, so theres plenty of room for both.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 4:28 pm

yeah there was even some talk of a possibility of having small music shows at the new bayou. don't know how serious they are though.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 6:15 pm

Who owns it (Overton Square)? I want to write them. Have they ever tried to sell it? I wonder if any Memphis groups are interested in preserving it in any way? I think the area would be prime for a Small Business Development Center in conjunction with the city to do some kick ass stuff. But only if Mr. Termite hasn't destroyed it beyond total repair. The facades in the main structures are worth saving, in my humble opine.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 6:55 pm

Man...the square has been crappy for years, really ever since the Video Suite/Ice Rink/Game Cock/Swensens days. I always heard that the owners held onto it for some sort of "write off". Not sure whats up with that, but Im sure almost every option has been explored with those folks. I mean its been 20+ years. I heard they are really hard to deal with and basically dont give a shit. I mean how is it that the old Chicago Pizza Factory has been vacant since like the late 70's or so??
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 7:18 pm | Edited by: hemant

I think it is separate owners. Maggie's pharm and Chicago pizza are owned by Carruthers who supposedly is using it as tax write off. The main portions that are right at the corner are owned by someone in Denver (at least according to the commercial appeal article and a blog I saw). Absentee owners don't care about Memphis heritage.

I think the buildings are beautiful, and you can't beat the location for commercial property, especially when the new playhouse opens. I'm actually moving my law offices to area in January.
Posted: Nov 6, 2007 9:00 pm

I heard they are really hard to deal with and basically dont give a shit.

Let me at 'em.

I think the buildings are beautiful, and you can't beat the location for commercial property, especially when the new playhouse opens.

This is what I am saying. I mean, it is laughable that nothing has been done. Well, laughable because it is fucking pathetic. I wonder if anyone has even approached the Denver group lately; the real estate market has taken such a nosedive that they may be more amenable. Maybe it is just wishful thinking, but that area just stands out as a no-brainer, esp. after living in other places for so long and seeing what others have done with redevelopments that aren't even half as obvious.
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 3:12 am | Edited by: hemant

Sounds like the Mapco Mart is going to be a huge change compared to the tiny shack. Heres the daily news story on it.
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 4:00 am

They should put a grateful dead museum in the square. Instant $$$$!!!!!
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 3:05 pm

modern lighting

are they talking about that new fangled eelectreecal stuff?
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 3:16 pm

Sounds like the Mapco Mart is going to be a huge change compared to the tiny shack
I bet you still can't buy no gas "till dey get through shiff change!"
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 3:34 pm

There's a guy that works (worked?) for years there named John Parrot. When I first moved to midtown I lived in a triplex at 1250 Tutwiler. He lived next door and would sit out on his porch swing all the time with a big green parrot on his shoulder.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 9:47 pm

Man...I know im late on this one cause I remember someone talking about it, but what is this new place Marys down on Cleveland next to the Salvation Army and across the street from the Jehovahs Witness church/Lucero compound??
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 11:00 pm

Lesbian bar was what I was told. The Jehovahs Witnesses got that place looking nice, too bad they are crazy. New men's clothing store just opened up next to the RSA/ Makeshift space. Bet they got some snazzy suits and shoes (ATTN: Barbaras.)
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 11:19 pm

Cleveland..rivaling Summer Ave. for my favorite Memphis St.
You want it, they got it.
MELTING POT!!!
Plus vegetables! (Easy Way)

I did see that they were painting over that "A Dong" market sign. What a pity.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 11:20 pm

isn't overton square basically owned by jimmy lewis, formerly of the squash blossom market? that's about as local as you get!

lewis & rasberry is the name of the company, i think?
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 12:07 am

Naahh..they dont own any of it. They are just leasing(or trying to) for the owners. If Jimmy Lewis had any ownership in it Im sure it would have been open and happenin long ago.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 5:08 am

Are they really going to open a Melting Pot on Cleveland? I hate it that I have to drive to Wolfchase to eat Swiss.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 8:27 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^

now that's funny...
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 6:50 pm

whoa!
memphis is gonna look like a ghost town at xmas!
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 6:05 am

Anybody know what's going on in the building next to Fresh Slices?
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 8:13 am

Speculation based on reading the CA: sodomy and murder.
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 5:11 pm

the cove(?) opened last night in the beer joint space and they do have the old bar from anderton's
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 5:17 pm

JUST about to mention this, bruce! Anyone check it out; as promising as it sounds?

The Cove Opens (Softly) Tonight

DECEMBER 7, 2007 - 11:58 AM
When Midtown dining institution Anderton's closed last year, interior designer Jim Marshall managed to acquire most of the decor -- the ship bar, the retro chandeliers, and the nautically-themed murals. He also managed to acquire the old Beer Joint location on Broad Avenue.

So Marshall decided to open a new bar using Anderton's sea-faring decor in the old Broad Avenue dive. It was the perfect marriage of two former pillars of Midtown. The Cove, as it's being called, will host a soft opening tonight beginning at 5 p.m. at 2559 Broad.

Since the bar has yet to acquire its liquor license, they'll only be selling beer, oysters, and pizza. But a full bar and a full menu are coming soon.
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 12:18 pm

That sounds like my first stop the next time I'm in Memphis!
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 12:43 pm

i went to the cove on saturday and they do serve oysters and pizza. they weren't serving liquor yet, but they did have beer! it looks cool with all the stuff from andertons in it. several paintings, the bar, several light fixtures. pretty cool. and yes, they have smoking too. can't wait to see what the place turns out like once they get going full swing. i think i have a new place to go throughout the week.
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 2:59 pm

Yeah, I cannot think of a better combo of Andertons decor, oysters and beer. Except maybe if Andertons itself came back.
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 3:33 pm

I heard that Young Ave Deli people were involved with the Cove somehow?
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 5:33 pm

The Young Avenue Deli just has one owner..Tiger and Im pretty sure he has nothing to do with The Cove. He owns part of Soulfish though. I drove by the Cove Sat night but it looked pretty "half opened" still. I like to give new places like that a little time, esp. before I eat there. Sounds cool though.
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 6:47 pm

i didn't eat there myself. i was just more concerned with imbibing some beer saturday. i can't remember who the owner is, but i'm pretty sure when someone said something about it the other day, it wasn't tiger's name that was brought up. i met the general manager who happens to be the brother of a friend of mine and got to talking to him about doing some derby afterparties there. really nice guy.
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 7:54 pm

I could sure a dig a new place to slug some down myself. Gotta check it out soon.
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 7:55 pm

Owner is Jim Marshall. See Saispas' post about five above this one.
Posted: Dec 31, 2007 6:29 pm

Talked to some Bayou employees last night, apparently, that building, the termite ridden one, is slated for demolition and the Bayou and Chardonnay are moving across the street to share the old Square Foods space (which is probably a good move for them because they'll be closer to the movie theatre and probably catch some of Bosco's business).

The Overton Square building is so cool, it's a shame they're tearing it down and putting a parking lot there. Talk is that they'll put another building where the current parking lot is.

In happier news regarding Midtown changes: gorillas have returned to the Memphis Zoo.
Posted: Dec 31, 2007 7:15 pm

Tearing down all of Overton Square????!!!! wha?....
Posted: Dec 31, 2007 7:23 pm

what happened to the gorilla that was there last year? (last time i was there)
Posted: Dec 31, 2007 7:47 pm

Yeah, are ALL the original Overton Square buildings being town down? If they don't save some of those--at least the facades--that is just ludicrous.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 1:37 am

Koga the Gorilla, who moved to Memphis from the Bronx zoo in 1995 with three other gorillas, has been moved to the Buffalo zoo. He's in a social setting now, and is much happier now that he has some friends.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 4:06 am

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 4:24 am | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

Koga the Gorilla,

We got a better gorilla now! I'm glad that bitch left town, he should have taken Pau Gasol with him!
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 4:50 am

Target is supposed to be going in at Poplar & Cleveland area (Washington Bottoms). Spent $10 million on land.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/jan/05/midtown-makeover/

so finally they are talking about what they're going to do with washington bottoms. i hate the term "lifestyle center". it makes me wanna throw up in my mouth a little.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 5:46 pm

building next to starbucks is gone. perfect place for an indy convenience store?

cafe eclectic still not open, but cool-looking building across tutweiler is for lease.

taylor's guitars closed. square foods closed.

not midtown, but Dyers near Guad is now a mexican restaurant.
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 5:55 pm

Really...they have been adding onto that deck at Dyers forever. Guess I figured they were doing good biz. Im all for a new mexican joint..I could eat it every day. Had dinner at the Happy Mexican last week before the Tiger game. Not bad but nothing special. Ritas were pretty strong and sure beats a 7$ draft beer at the Tiger game.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 9:14 am

cafe eclectic has started to take the paper off their windows. we peeked in on Saturday and it looks nice. looks like they are going to have a drive thru as well.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:01 am

There's drive-thru window, but it's in the rear parking lot. Perhaps there will be access from the alley?
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 11:56 am

cafe's. changes. complaints. compliments.

early morning dilemma. Cooper Young TN.
Roughly December 27th 2007.
continued difficulty proceeding for a # of days.

No coffee to be found. Java Cabana was closed in the morning AS USUAL. which is par for the course since the dawn of that establishments existence. Always Always Always closed in the AM. Why? It's a coffee shop. Please prove me wrong. Every year I'm home in the hood and every morning of every day java cabana is closed in the morning. Is there a secret door i'm missing? At least this year they posted hours-which were obviously a lie as they weren't open in the morning as the sign said they would be. No one else that was open had coffee made (we;re talking 10;30 am...not particularly an early bird shopper's complaint here)the health food restaurant (square foods?)was opened but didn't have any brewed. I finally got a turkish coffee from cafe casablanca (when I asked for regular black) which tasted like motor oil siphoned thru kittly litter. What's my point? not much. just wanted to complain about java cabana's hours. Not hating...I actually have liked that place since day 1. It's just that when you want/need coffe you want/need coffee. And of course this often an early morning thing. AM.

I dint' smell any coffee brewing at goner that morning either but I did buy a used hot snakes cd and talked moms out of buying a live bootleg Nirvana cd. Such confusing emotions when a son says to his mom 'I heard that one, it's not so good').

Later in the day and for a few days after get coffee from Sweet which is a fine establishement. I can't speak for their hours but the coffee's good enough.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Burger King sells coffee, whithout all those annoying hipsters standing arround.
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 1:08 pm | Edited by: miss linda

Posted: Feb 12, 2008, 11:56 am Quote

cafe's. changes. complaints. compliments.

early morning dilemma. Cooper Young TN.
Roughly December 27th 2007.
continued difficulty proceeding for a # of days.

No coffee to be found.

The LIQUOR STORE is two blocks east on Cleveland Mike.
The open at 9:00 a.m.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 9:51 am

cafe eclectic looks to be ready for action, if not open. are they open?

i dunno.

is playhouse on the square bummed out that the BP next door went under after they'd already committed to building their new place across the street? they coulda expanded into that whole corner at cooper & union.

what is up with that space? i would think you could get a gas station to work at cooper & union. lamar & airways, too.

very early planning going on for a monthly Cooper Young Night Out... stay tuned.

in collierville news, congratulations to John A Kupiszewski for getting an on-premises beer license for BOOYA'S! 954 W Poplar.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 9:54 am

hold on... looks like this is actually BOOYA'S BURRITO BEACH!
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 9:57 am

BOOYA'S BURRITO BEACH

WHAT?!?!? Gimme details.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:23 am

BOOYA'S BURRITO BEACH

Ouch.
Right next to Crunk's Bar & Grills, I take it.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:28 am

What is happening with the gas stations around Midtown? I was so peeved when the one on Cooper and Union closed (as Eric O referenced) and soon after I tried to use the gas station on Belvedere and Poplar (across from Joe's) and it was closed, too. Argh. Speaking of the Poplar and Belvedere area, what's the update on the old Burke's Books building?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:32 am

It looked to me like they were revamping the gas station on Belvedere and Poplar, but I guess I was wrong...how much is gas up there this week, by the way? It went up like 10 cents overnight here.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:34 am

i think old burke's had some healthy food place going in there - there was a "coming soon" type of sign for a while, but looks like they backed out.

speaking of the gas station across from joe's, what IS going in there?
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:44 am

Cafe Eclectic - still not open. Says "Open Soon - we promise" on the window. I think they are taking applications for employment though if anyone is interested.

Across from Joe's - I've heard that it is either a new revamped Mapco OR Martin Music is opening a midtown location (or both?)....
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 2:05 pm

i think old burke's had some healthy food place going in there - there was a "coming soon" type of sign for a while, but looks like they backed out.

that's exactly what happened...it was going to be jimmy's market (owned by the guy who ran squash blossom years ago), but b/c whole foods bought wild oats, he decided against trying to compete.

(you'd hope that meant there would be a whole foods coming to midtown, but i haven't heard anything.)
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 2:19 pm

I've heard that it is either a new revamped Mapco

I think this is what's happening there.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 2:26 pm

they knocked down the old ticket hub next to joes. thats where martin music is going up.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 2:57 pm

you'd hope that meant there would be a whole foods coming to midtown

You must be billionaire! NY'ers can't even afford that place!
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 3:34 pm

rumor is whole foods is going in where bayou and le chard are moving out.
Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®