Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / IMPALA and AWO, Aug. 17th, Buccaneer
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 9:17 am

OK, everyone here certainly knows who Impala is, but I need to explain AWO. It is me on organ (Big Dad Jay from the Pendletons), Tee Cloar and Greg Easterly (both from NTJ) on guitar and bass, Steve Parkinson (Wallendas) on drums.

I'm not gonna describe what we're doing, because I hate trying to do that, and I'm not gonna tell you what "AWO" stands for, because it's stupid. I just pronounce it "Ah-Wooooo", and act like that was the name of some fantasy beast from an old issue of Heavy Metal magazine, which I read one day when I was wacked-out on pot-weed.

Also, for those of you who remember last August's Buccaneer show with Impala and The Royal Pendletons, I want to let you know that the Buccaneer has since added an additional air conditioner.

Now, I'm gonna do a cut and paste onto the Upcoming Shows board, so hopefully no one else goes and books any other shows on that same night.
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 4:28 pm

what are our chances of JET either:

1. lighting his sax on fire?
2. playing with his shirt off?
Posted: Jul 4, 2007 11:18 pm

i love you.
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 12:27 am

I was wacked-out on pot-weed.

You smoke pot-weed?
Posted: Jul 5, 2007 6:37 am

No ...and I don't read Heavy Metal magazine either.
Posted: Jul 17, 2007 3:27 am

This is gonna be good. Ah-Wooooo!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jul 17, 2007 3:30 am

o ...and I don't read Heavy Metal magazine either.

I DO!! I DO!! I DO!!!
Posted: Jul 17, 2007 4:49 pm

o ...and I don't read Heavy Metal magazine either.

I DO!! I DO!! I DO!!!

East Coast (E.C.) Rocker!
Man, what a crappy read.
Posted: Aug 12, 2007 7:22 am

Reminder. Gonna be fun, but your level of fun will depend on the quality of your weeeeeeed.
Posted: Aug 15, 2007 4:01 pm

T-minus two days on the Weirdo sighting.
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 5:29 pm

How is this for shameless self-promotion?

---------------------------------------------------
from Andrea's Impala write-up in the Flyer:

Asked if the group will have any new material in their repertoire, Stivers laughs.
"We wanted to work on some stuff," he says, "but it's so hard to get everyone in the band together. I think it's gonna be a struggle just to get through the songs we know."
---------------------------------------------------

Paraphrase: "Almost definitely, we'll suck, so y'all come on out."

For many years, I've been working on a theory that John Stivers might possibly be insane.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 3:55 am | Edited by: jerryd

I've been working on a theory that John Stivers might possibly be insane

Have you seen how low he sells those mattresses ? Only an insane man could offer those prices!

I'm about to go eat and then see this show. WOOHOO!!!
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 11:13 pm

Missed most of AWO, but got there in time for the finale. I am convinced AWO have created the Memphis Song Of The Year, "Ophelia, You Ain't Hittin' On Nothin'", complete with soundclips of "the rant". A love song to Opheliua with a farfisa. Fucking perfect, I believe, and they need to record it as soon as humanly possible. Or play out again, and I'll come down and record it.

Overall show, though, minus 2 punk points for toolbag Dee running around everywhere with a video camera. It wasn't the bands' fault, though.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 1:17 am

gooooooddddammmnn you fucking "not technically striking" pilots at NWA. Thanks for stranding me in godforsaken Newark airport last night and making me miss this. If I had had to pay for my room last night at the Airport Marriot instead of my company (since Northwest so politely declined) I would be at your homes slashing the tires on your BMW's. You fucks.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 1:19 am

but I did get loaded thanks to the first class upgrade and will likely do things I will regret tonight, so thankss for that!
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 1:19 am

Northwest is basically the Memphis of large corporations. too bad it's not based here. Our hometown FedEx is much more like an Atlanta or a Raleigh -- smart cities with their shit together.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 1:42 am

Northwest has been been trating their employees like shit for a decade - it's not the pilots fault.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 2:45 am | Edited by: Will

I totally believe it, and look, I'm as left-leaning, "fuck The Man" as the next guy, but you're talking about folks who are making close to six figures by their 4th year (as an FO, waayyy more than that as a Captain) and get time and a half after 80 flight hours a month. Plus, I was reading about some deal they brokered guaranteeing $1000 bonuses for pilots who didn't miss any work during this time. Wow, a bonus for showing up to your job as scheduled. I can't fathom. See, where I'm from, big boys and girls have to GO TO WORK.

I'm sure NW are evil fucking bastards, but of all the NWA employees who certainly get the shaft on a routine basis, pilots are probably going to be towards the back of the line to elicit any tears from yours truly.

Again, it wasn't that big a deal, I got home thirty hours later than scheduled. Whatever. But if the $200 dollars spent on a shitty airport hotel had come out of my pocket, something really bad might have happened at EWR last night... (like me being tasered!)
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 2:47 am

[seriously though, if any NWA pilots are reading this, please make sure you are getting plenty of rest and you know, not getting hammered or anything before flying my plane. Thanks bros (& hos)]
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 3:58 am

Big D, I was about to give you props for giving Heavy Metal mag a shout out. I have like 20 issues of that motherfucker with Moebius/Alejandro Jodorowsky comics, interviews with Tom Verlaine, J.G. Ballard, Phillip Glass, Lou Reed. I even got the issue where they're like, This new movie is supposed to come out called Blade Runner! But then you renegged and said you didnt actually read Heavy Metal.
I thought you were a real nerd, dude. Come correct!!
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 3:59 am

Oh yeah, great show AWO and Impala . . .
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 7:49 pm

Missed most of AWO, but got there in time for the finale. I am convinced AWO have created the Memphis Song Of The Year, "Ophelia, You Ain't Hittin' On Nothin'", complete with soundclips of "the rant". A love song to Opheliua with a farfisa. Fucking perfect, I believe, and they need to record it as soon as humanly possible. Or play out again, and I'll come down and record it.

Here's the problem. Our big future hit, "Ophelia", would currently be recorded, pressed, burning up the airwaves and earning us fame and fortune, but NTJ fucked it all up. Ya see, when Ardent switched to Christian Rock format, NTJ was on Ardent's label. NTJ had the keys to the kingdom, but they decided to decline the opportunity to take advantage of "salvation". Yep, they stuck with the devil's music and got dumped from the label. If it weren't for Satanic influence and NTJ's stupid decision, AWO would be on the Ardent label...

"Ophelia", by AWO, produced by Jody Stevens... IN STORES NOW.

Oh, well. Thanks Satan. Yeah, thanks a lot.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 8:01 pm

I thought you were a real nerd, dude. Come correct!!

I briefly put down my 1983 issue of "Twisted Tales" comic book, to check the Goner Board... only to find someone telling me that I'm not a nerd?

I can only take so much.
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 9:19 pm

thanks for dancing with me, Brendan.
AWOOOOO!
just over my hangover now...
Posted: Aug 19, 2007 9:27 pm

Me thinks the Ardent"salvation" train de-railed the Taint Skins deal too....
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 8:59 pm

Were we dancing, Andria? I thought you were holding me up so I wouldnt fall down!!
Just kidding, we were the best couple there. And by best I mean wasted.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 9:45 pm

JS, I agree with you, we should record Ophelia ASP....BTW my wife, was asked to vidi that song, by the band........since you are bashing her (unintentionally I hope) on a thread about a show I just played, why don't you make amends and record the song at Rocket Science?
For Free! .....makes sense to me.....be nice!
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 10:38 am

URL

Impala's first song @ the Bucc
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 12:50 pm

Me thinks the Ardent"salvation" train de-railed the Taint Skins deal too....
But I thought the Taintskins were wholesome Christian rock?
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 4:14 pm

BTW Impala was excellent.......it had been a long time....Blurred Madison memories.....
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 5:45 pm

I... uh... um...
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 6:15 pm

I don't know, Jack. This all sounds like a big set up. Friends? Be nice to Dee? hhhhmmmmm?
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 6:22 pm

I don't know either. I REALLY like that Ophelia song. And Steve's been in there before.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 2:16 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

This has been a philisophical conundrum for me all day.
Can Music overcome Libertyland?
Maybe. If we all believe.
And Ophelia is far too important.

I've decided to figure out some way to make this happen.

Let's do it. For the children.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:04 am

very nicely done....the music must supercede Liberty...I believe in Ophelia........she's what I want

For the Children!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:23 am

pussy.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:26 am

SHUT UP, DTRAIN!!! THERE ARE HIGHER POWERS AT WORK HERE! HIGHER POWERS!!!!

OPHELIA IS THE SUMMER JAM OF '07!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:41 am

oh shit...
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:55 am

Who are you and what have you done with Jack Stands?!!!!!
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 3:59 am

This song is TOO important, dtrain. You should have heard it.

If she shows up and even mentions the "L" word, I will be forced to yell "No-car-mommy", "tool", and "EGGPARTY". Probably all at once.

This is a truce. For the common good.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:01 am

I'm afraid I don't understand the connection.....
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:03 am

eve-Stay is arried-may to ee-Day. he's in the and-bay.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:22 am

uh...ok...I must hear this song then.....hmmm...
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:24 am

Ask jerryd. Wait, I think he missed it. Andria will testify, But jerryd would love it.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:34 am

Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:50 am

This evening it was proposed;" First of all, I think that "Toolbag" should be the general term for any AWO bandmember's wife....." funniest shit I have heard in a long time..tyj

The L word has no business near the rock, agreed.

Jack, please stay focused

A Feel Ye

Ophelia

shes's what I need
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:54 am

My inter web is to slow right now to pull anything like that down....
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 4:58 am

This evening it was proposed;" First of all, I think that "Toolbag" should be the general term for any AWO bandmember's wife....." funniest shit I have heard in a long time..tyj

The L word has no business near the rock, agreed.

Jack, please stay focused

The terms are agreed.

Ophelia

shes's what I need

Amen.
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 5:03 am

...and then for the other punk rock point you can come and record the puppy dogs live sept 9
Posted: Aug 22, 2007 5:05 am

I hate my dog. Why would I record a bunch of little ones?
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 3:09 am

This is going to be fucking brilliant.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 6:11 am

we had to cancel because of the rain, but the dawgs will kill you
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 6:41 pm

Status update: It is fucking brilliant.
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 9:46 pm

OK! Finally got to see it!

HOLY SHIT.... I had no idea , someone like that COULD get elected. Who let that crazy woman be a senator? There should seriously be an investigation....
Posted: Sep 10, 2007 11:48 pm

Memphis Weirdo, if Imay be so bold, I like the name "Ophelia (She Don't Love Me)"
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®