Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Could use an opinion or two on high speed internet services in Memphis
Posted: May 31, 2007 1:40 pm

My mom lives in Memphis and wants high speed internet to go with her new computer. She is currently and slowly using AOL dial-up.

I don't live in Memphis and have no idea what's up with the options there.

She's looking for the cheapest fairly reliable option in Memphis.

She does NOT have cable TV and does not want it.

She does have a land line telephone from whatever the main local provider is.

I would love to hear anyone's opinion. Thanks!
Posted: May 31, 2007 4:27 pm

you don't have to have cable tv to have a cable internet connection.

they usually do the first 6 months of comcast for 30 bucks a month and then it goes to 49.

personally, I couldn't deal with a slower connection than that - but since it's your mom - it might not be a big deal to her -

Your next best bet is probably Bellsouth DSL which I think runs about 21 bucks a month for their medium speed internet...
Posted: May 31, 2007 6:04 pm

Bellsouth DSL

my grandmother has this and has problems connecting lots of times. It runs closer to $40 a month with the fees and the modem normally costs $75 if you don't have some sort of special. She also had to sign up for long distance service with them for them to sell her the DSL.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks a bunch you two!

One other thing.

Is Comcast the only cable internet provider in town?
A few non-cable-TV companies provide internet cable where I live.
Just checking.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 3:42 pm

Comcast is the only cable company as far as I know - they recently bought out Time Warner down here...
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks! My mom went with DSL and is fine with it.
Posted: Nov 20, 2008 10:24 pm

We have Comcast and no cable TV. It runs through a cable (DSL?) and we pay $42. I've had it for 6-7 years with no complaints.
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 12:59 am

Been using Bellsouth for a year. No issues at all! Better connection than Cable, plus they paid me $300 to switch like the old days of long distance competition battles.
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 7:49 am

I'm late to chime in, but.. I have no cable and no land line at home, but there were telephone jacks in my house from the previous owner. AT&T is my cell phone service provider and I added wireless highspeed internet service through them via the existing telephone jacks for $37.95/month. It's worked out great. The service has been reliable and very fast.
Posted: Nov 21, 2008 8:30 am

We have Comcast and no cable TV. It runs through a cable (DSL?) and we pay $42. I've had it for 6-7 years with no complaints.

so do y'all have the 4MB speed? I finally looked at one of my bills (I've got the automatic payment deal for like a year now), and they had jacked my 6MB up to like $54/month. I really don't think I need that, so i just called and had them take me down to the economy speed. just as long as it doesn't fuck up my hulu viewing.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®