Goner Message Board / Memphis / I need a job
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:02 pm

Like, fast.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:03 pm

for real?
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:05 pm

For real.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:07 pm

And, unfortunately, my cell phone belonged to the company, so don't call that number.

I'm going to pick up a Memphis Business Journal tonight, and send my resume to every name I can find.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:07 pm

"Moderator" ain't payin' the bills?
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:12 pm

Hee=haw, no! This is a labor of love, the daytime gig done crapped out, though.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:14 pm

And by the way,

Dear Memphis Venture Capitalists,
Any time you want to step off that bankroll, let me know.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:19 pm

sucks!!! they been hiring computer people out here, don't know what kind of stuff it is though or even if they have filled all their needs can look into it if you want
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:24 pm

Thanks, man. Anything'll help. E-mail me if you hear something.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:45 pm

Time to go take out a small buisness loan, man.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 10:45 pm

oops--saispas here and there.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 11:05 pm

You really shouldn't be doing anything fast, unless you're going to the ER. Take a moment. Whether it was termination, redundancy or ennui, you should rejoice, relax and rock out. Don't be so fast to get back on that hamster wheel - there's lots of cagers out there, so don't worry. You should spend this week relaxing; the weekend, reflecting; next week, perhaps, strategerying. In between, apply for unemployment and revise your resume (and do it at least a few times, lazy ass). Don't rush just out of necessity, I mean, you're not Dishwasher Pete. Family's can weather amazing things. Happiness is key.

Fuck off, I'm not helpful.
-Yours,
blah
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 11:42 pm

What do you do? You know, professionally?
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 11:45 pm

Oh, let me know and I'll spill on the backdoor to the VisionPlus software, if you guys used that at all...

...not that you would use it to commit any illegal acts, or, hilarious acts.
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 11:46 pm | Edited by: eric o

Dude SHOULD be cleaning up with some roasted coffee biz, but his current skillz are more in IT/data processing from what I can gather... his coffee rules it, though.

so far, no haircut!
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 11:53 pm

ooohh, I didn't know FD acquired PaySys. Ha ha ha ha....
Posted: Apr 4, 2007 11:59 pm

Robin, follow those instincts and go get a loan and start your coffee business. I hear you've got that roasting down to a science. Don't work for the man, BE THE MAN!!! Then you can keep the hair. You can even dread or braid it if you want and no one can say shit to you. Except us, of course.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 12:02 am

robin... sorry to hear your regular paycheck has gone the way of the dodo

email me later, man!
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 12:02 am | Edited by: saispas

Don't work for the man, BE THE MAN!!!

YUP. This is your chance. Get the unemployment, enjoy some spring, start writing up the business proposal and get down to the loan officer/community development office.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 12:41 am

Robin, I'm so sorry to hear that. You need to start charging for recording those bands (right after you send me a few copies of some shows for my birthday!!)

Rocket Science Audio! Jack Stands' Coffee!

Move to Michigan, where it snows in April! You can live in our basement it has lots of room and you and the Millionaire can start a band. The jr. stands can play with the jr. millionaires. Perfect!
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 1:33 am

wha???
wha happen?
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 1:36 am

Lay off, or otherwise? I got some advice if it's the former. Went through it about 3 years ago. Outsourcing.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 2:17 am

Lay off, or otherwise? I got some advice if it's the former. Went through it about 3 years ago. Outsourcing.

Andy, everybody knows you were a male prostitute for a few years. I guess "Outsourcing" is another way of putting it.

And Robin, you could go down and offer your services to the ladies going into Burlington Coat Factory. It's close to your house and it's not really cheating on your old lady if you're getting paid.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 2:54 am

Jesus Robin, drop me a line to let me know what's up. We may be on different parts of the boat (me, a rower, you, a drum beater), but damn, it's the same ship. Even if my part ain't going down, it'd be good to hear from you. My e-mail's in my profile.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 2:55 am

Fucking bastards (sorry, I needed to add that).
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 4:11 am

Sorry Robin.
BUT, you have to admit that Coffee Stands has a nice ring to it...
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 6:40 am

Dude SHOULD be cleaning up with some roasted coffee biz, but his current skillz are more in IT/data processing from what I can gather... his coffee rules it, though.

For real. In Vollintine-Evergreen please!!! You could get a bay right across from Snowden and rake it in.

Failing that, good luck Robin.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 4:41 pm

Coffee Stands is great.

DO IT!!!!
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:06 pm

Dusted off the resume, updated, hit the bricks and submitted to three places.
Dusted off the business proposal and re-vamped, but probably going to get another set of eyes on it.
Want to check out the unemployment thing, but the language on the site reads: "Unemployment insurance benefits provide income to individuals who have lost work through no fault of their own."
After 8 1/2 years I was terminated for "underperforming" (three days after the company was acquired in a $29 billion transaction, mind you), so we'll see what the UI people have to say about that.
It's going to suck trying to find another place to work, but in a way, I always felt like I was working for people that were working towards the decline of the western civilization as we know it. So now, I'm just going to find a place with different bullshit, I guess.

Troll, you're never helpful and you don't care (but thanks for the wise words, and I intend to do exactly what you mentioned, but I'm still gonna get my resume out to somebody everyday).
Junior Council and Eric O, I am certainly looking into the coffee thing (roasted up some today, in fact).
Wire, I used to be a director of product for a very large electronic payments company. I designed, tested and "brought to market" credit card terminals for the past few years, but prior to that I was in charge of all of the systems that maintain those little electronic boxes (there were a lot of other things I did, too, but this stuff is boring enough). And thanks, man. I did do some VB6 back in the day with MSSQL and Oracle 8i, but I guess I should really brush up on it; my main expertise was Cisco design and implementation.

Anyway, thanks y'all, and if you do hear of anything opening up, send me an e-mail, please!

In the meantime, any news/periodical people need a hand? For a small fee, I'll follow around, dig up dirt and do an expose on Mike Matthews.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:11 pm

I'm telling you, VisionPLUS backdoor...

Don't rush into anything, either. You should welcome the break from inertia. Go to a matinee. Take junior to the zoo. Build a deck in your backyard.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:20 pm

Take junior to the zoo.

In fact, he's got the day off tomorrow, too.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:36 pm

YOU LEAVE MIKE MATTHEWS OUT OF IT!
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:40 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

Andria, Earles, Mehr, Mary Helen and Rochambeaux won't do investigative print reporting.

SOMEBODY'S GOT TO DO IT!

If you want, though, I'll hold off and do a piece on the manatee murder.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:43 pm

you should holler at me tonight
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:44 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

I don't have your number anymore (I don't have a cellphone anymore).

You never answer my calls, anyway. Jody says Cooley can play. And that you're a fag. Any luck with Coble?
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:56 pm

then get off your fatass and ride your fuckin bike over.
jody is just trying to divert attention from his faggotry
no luck with coble though.
sorry about your job man.
i'll pay ya a dime if you give me a rim job
you gotta shave first though
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 10:59 pm

Well, Cooley says he's down, but in another band, too. I think Jody said Tues. and Sun. are good for him. Just before he called you a queer.
Posted: Apr 5, 2007 11:17 pm | Edited by: uncledaddy

you're dangling your participle
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 3:48 am

Andria, Earles, Mehr, Mary Helen and Rochambeaux won't do investigative print reporting

Actually, I will. I just never have. And Andria wrote a great piece for Grand Royal re: Al Jackson's murder.
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 3:49 am

And I have a story cooking in my head right now. It will be my first attempt.
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 4:27 am

I am investigating Andy's investigative idea.
Email me!
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 5:21 am

I'm looking for my dignity.
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 11:39 am

St. Jude has some IT jobs up, I hear it is pretty nice to work there. I am not sure about the IT dept, but it would not be so much working for the "man" as for the kids. If the coffee thing dosen't pan out.
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 9:05 pm

St. Jude would likely be pretty dreamy compared to Six Sigma hell. And for a "nonprofit", they gots profit. Whoever is handling development these days over there deserves a jillion dollar raise. Check that out and in the interim, keep that business proposal going.
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 9:13 pm

Jack, my friend Sarah works at St. Jude, and really loves it there. Says they treat their employees really well.
Also, I know a ton of people in IT out at IP. Let me know if I can put in a word for you out there.

Good luck!
Posted: Apr 6, 2007 11:47 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

There are websites all over the internet with various pros offering consulting services that may provide more immediate income without cutting into your unemployment eligibility. You could list your qualifications and services offered.

Would starting up a one-man (for now), gun for hire, IT company be a feasible option or even of interest? If so, I'd spread the word, and probably find several people unhappy with their current service in no time.
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 6:42 am

uh...I needed a job too guys? ...jeesh!
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 1:39 pm

Sorry Robin.
And Robin
Jesus Robin

Who the fuck is "Robin"? Is his name NOT Jack Stands? No wonder he got fired. I feel duped.
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 1:48 pm

Jack is Mike's brother and the son of Grand...try to keep up.
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 7:31 pm

Jack is Mike's brother and the son of Grand...try to keep up.

I did'nt understand a word you just said. All pops & clicks over here.
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 8:19 pm

Me neither
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 10:06 pm

Feet on the bricks today. Resume on off-white, heavy-weight paper. Cover letter customized for each establishment.
Really ought to find my answering machine in the attic, though.
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 10:35 pm

Good luck, Robin. You'll find something in no time.
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 10:40 pm

Yes....best of luck to ya brother
Posted: Apr 9, 2007 11:21 pm

demolition derby driver?
Posted: Apr 10, 2007 5:30 am

They had a mechanical bull out in the back of the Lucero show the other day. The club owner announced over the PA that if anyone could stay on for 30 seconds, they would win $100 dollars. It cost 5 clams to ride the bull. I smell a new proffession for mister Robin!

Proffesional mechanical bull rider!

ANOTHER PROBLEM SOLVED BY DTRAIN!
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 1:49 pm

mechanical bull...if anyone could stay on for 30 seconds

This, I have done more than once. Standing ovations even. The trick is to let your backbone slip. Be loose. You see all these meat heads putting their muscles into it, they alway fall. Stay fluid Grasshopper, stay center.

I hear Lucero likes to "milk the bull".

By the way... hows it going "Jack".
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®