Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Grizzlies Moving to Las Vegas!
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Posted: Feb 13, 2007 11:37 pm

Well, Robin Leach??!!!

But yeah, Memphis is a COLLEGE basketball town. Memphians are too tied into the beloved Tigers to support a "pro" team. Especially since they can't hit the side of the arena wall for one point.
The Grizzlies were doomed to fail from the start. Still, the Tigers got a nice new arena to play in.

I will give the disclaimer that I know nothing about the Griz because I only watch college ball.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 4:48 pm

Can we have the $6 million they defrauded out of us back before they leave?
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 5:08 pm

$6 million, it would be more like 600 million to take them out of memphis, the asking price is around 300 and then approx another 300 in by out clauses including things like the forum would have to be completely payed for at approx 250 remaining
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 5:26 pm

That would really suck if they left.
I don't think that they have been here long enough yet to have built a strong fan base. It takes more than just a couple of years. Alisa, you should really go to the game. The games are fun even when they are losing.

Obviously, half the teams are not going to have a winning season.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 5:37 pm

Alisa, you should really go to the game.

You're right, hemant. I've just never been a big fan of pro bball, but as I like bball in general I'd probably change my tune.
I really was excited when we got a pro team, though. If only for the fact that Memphis IS a basketball town. (As opposed to trying to bring a pro football team here, which I always thought was a really bad idea.)

I went to a Tiger's game a few weeks ago (first time in the Forum) and, after making so much fun of the spaceship behind Beale, I was absolutely blown away by how beautiful the Forum really is. It is a GREAT arena.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 8:26 pm

I think you have to approach it from two different ways: One, Good for the city? and Do I give a shit about the pro game or not?

For a person more intrigued by making a city more attractive to future improvement and development, an NBA team is not a bad thing. For someone who really cares about basketball in 2007, it possibly may mean a lot of frustration and maybe even a little hate. NBA players are the some of the highest paid people in the USA today for typically playing the game in a loose, boring, no-soul manner for at least 85% of their looooong season. Many of these players are also spoiled brats who behave with the worst sort of entitled attitudes only matched in a classroom at The Hutchison School. The NBA right now is a very difficult organization to get behind.

During playoffs, I usually am not so cynical as the players usually aren't either, though.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 9:39 pm

Stay or go, I want that $6 million back. With interest. The least they could do is offer the citizens they defrauded $6 million worth of free parking.
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 12:13 am

The irony is that the parking/traffic flow is one of the must successful aspects of that whole operation. Shocking but true ...
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 12:27 am

I noticed that. I expected to be trapped in the Ford building forever, but wasn't. Surprisingly organized.
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 4:46 am

The garage "fiasco" has to be one of the dumbest news stories of last year. Nobody seemed to care except for news reporters and politicians trying to make a story where there wasn't one before. The federal government lets error like this one happen all the time. Of course after the media breaks the story, the federal government has to officially request that the money be returned.

Yeah, somebody fucked up, but all the finger pointing will never resolve whose fault it was. With a project that big, and with as many participants in it, everyone thought that someone else was taking care of the problem. the garage was okay as originally approved by the state, but when the state used federal funds as their promised contribution, new compliance issues came up, but never got followed.
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 5:00 pm

Somebody fucked up, all right. And we were left holding the $6 million bag while the Grizzlies profited and continued to profit. Oops!

Just because everybody else does it doesn't make it OK.
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 4:17 pm

I spoke with one of the people who brought the Grizz to Memphis. He said that the Grizz are staying and being bought out by local investors who are willing to put a lot more money behind the team. Onward and upward, as the say.
Posted: Feb 16, 2007 5:13 pm

"Somebody fucked up, all right. And we were left holding the $6 million bag while the Grizzlies profited and continued to profit. Oops!"

You obviously have never been to a game if you think that the Grizzlies are profiting at all. That $6 million is a drop in the ocean compared to what they're losing.
Posted: Feb 17, 2007 1:56 am

Yeah, I think it's in the range of $40 million in losses each year. Think of it another way: That's Brian Davis' entire net worth down the pooper every year ...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®