Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / danša do tropicalia...brazilian dance party Hi Tone
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 11:23 pm

Tuesday February 13th nothin but 60s and 70s Brazilian gems played loud and proud....kicking off with footage of Os Mutantes and Novos Baianos on the big screen! Its Free! $5 beer bust also! come on out!
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 2:48 pm

Posted: Feb 7, 2007 7:14 pm

sounds awesome...
What time will everything kick off?
I don't want to miss any of the footage of Os Mutantes.
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 8:17 pm

Wierd. I thought the Flyer back page said free brazillian waxes for mutants. Guess I'll leave the ol' lady at home.
Posted: Feb 8, 2007 6:24 am

this is a good idea
Posted: Feb 8, 2007 4:40 pm

This has been postponed until the 20th...some band begged and begged and begged for the beer bust night, so let 'em have it....so NOT the 13th, the 20TH...
Posted: Feb 8, 2007 9:56 pm

This year happens to be the 40th anniversary of tropicalia.

^Tropicalia: Brazil's musical revolution turns 40

(DIVERSITY) (NEWSCOM PHOTOS) (HAS TRIM)
By Marcelo Ballve
PopMatters.com
(MCT)
It was exactly 40 years ago that the musical revolution that came to be known as Tropicalia was introduced to Brazil, and the world.
Tropicalia's genesis can be dated with some precision. It came when two musicians in their mid-20s, Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil, courageously took to the stage at a 1967 song festival in Sco Paulo with compositions that they knew would sorely stress the boundaries of musical taste. Their performance was epoch-defining. It was a kind of big bang from which much that came afterward in Brazilian pop music history evolved.
Posted: Feb 13, 2007 1:36 pm

speaking of which....

anyone heard about "bread and circuses", the story of Os Mutantes.

not sure if it's actually out yet, all I could find was a trailer.

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=3612

looks pretty great!
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 1:11 pm | Edited by: scandalizer

anybody that wants to buy brasilian records, i got mountains of 'em! and know some street vendors as well. i get good prices and you will too. mutantes and tim maia originals available (but they come at a price)! caetano, gil, gal, chico, jorge ben, cartola, elis, tom jobim, vinicius, rita lee, compilations, live albums, samba, forro, tropicalia, psychadelia, bossa, axe, and on and on and on... and if you ask for roberto carlos... you get absolutely nothing. email me at scandalizer@gmail if interested. you will pay shipping from brasil.
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 3:11 pm

tonight!
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 10:51 pm

Posted: Feb 21, 2007 8:51 am

i'm really sad that i couldn't go tonight. i really wanted to but i got stuck having to work on a mountain of homework. i just now finished this monster of a paper and it's 3am. phooey. hope it was a lot of fun and hope you do it again sometime soon!
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 4:02 pm

couldn't make it, either, but did catch more episodes of CITY OF MEN.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 4:04 pm

I didn't understand any of the words while I was there.

Meawhile, Joel is making pick-ups now.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 5:19 pm

couldn't make it, either, but did catch more episodes of CITY OF MEN.
how is that?...been wanting to pick it up everytime I am at Black Lodge...

I think Novos Baianos was too Brazilian for some...overheard: "this is some discovery channel shit"...some people are not entertained by hardcore brazilian jungle hippies with fuzz pedals like I am I suppose...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®