Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / driving your car off a building.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 9:47 pm

some kid ( i presume) just drove his car off the roof of a 5 story parking garage at u of m. what the fuck?
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 9:48 pm

suicide attempt?
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 9:49 pm

Did he go to that NORML meeting last night?
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 10:03 pm

Pics please.

His parents should sue Allstate.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 10:26 pm

Pics please

it just happened a couple of hours ago. you knowthe chopper 5 was all over that shit within minutes, so there aren't alot of details. it was the breaking news that interupted the emmy award winning daytime drama Passions.

j/k i dont know if it ever won any awards.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 10:28 pm

i've got a couple of pix, don't know how to post them yet.
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 10:30 pm

The video is here
http://www.WMCTV.com/
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 1:21 am

some guy in my history class saw it happen and had pictures and shit. the girl was apparently okay.
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 3:21 am | Edited by: conner sewer

If this wasn't a suicide attempt then I'm absolutely baffled about how this could have happened. Saw the news coverage, looked brutal. She's in stable condition though (according to the mearl purvis which could mean she's paralyzed), which is good if she wanted to live. If not, well next time she should try the train trackes.
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 4:30 am

she said she "accidentally put [her] foot on the gas pedal"

what a douche. this whole situation is just really weird to me. crazy ass chick.
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 4:48 am

...had to have been haulin' ass to go through concrete wall and get air born that far from the building.

I agree, looks fishy.
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 5:02 am

Could be that she was just RAD!!!
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 1:25 pm

That's fucking XTREME!
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 4:20 pm

I shouldn't speculate, but it's fun.

Watching the footage, that top floor seems to be barren, and it was freaking cold yesterday. Why would have she parked on the top floor in an empty lot if she didn't have to?
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 4:21 pm

...had to have been haulin' ass to go through concrete wall and get air born that far from the building.

That's what I thought, but she was in a pretty big truck/SUV, perhaps a Chevy Avalanche, and the structural build may have been sub-par. It should have held even if she was gunning it. I doubt she could have gotten much above 30 mph with such a short distance for acceleration.
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 5:41 pm

Watching the footage, that top floor seems to be barren, and it was freaking cold yesterday. Why would have she parked on the top floor in an empty lot if she didn't have to?

Exactly. I was on campus yesterday at the same time and all the lots were practically empty.

the structural build may have been sub-par

That's almost a given, but the situation is very fishy all the same.
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 7:06 pm

That video is hilarious.
"We don't know at this time if the person was involved in some kind of altercation on the roof, and was forced to drive over the edge ... Right now all we know is that whoever was in that black truck right there is hurt."

Oh, and promises of "COMPLETE STORM TEAM COVERAGE!"
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 9:16 pm

I think she got the idea from the new Dukes of Hazzard Mo Money Taxes Advertisement.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 3:23 am

structural build may have been sub-par

Not likely. The panel she hit was a precast concrete panel, attached with no more than 6 fasteners. The building code requires that the panels be able to withstand a 6000 lbs load at 1'6" (roughly the height of the bumper) from the slab level. That's a static load (acceleration 32.2 ft/s2) so if her pickup weighed like 2 tons then it would easily exceed that as it decelerated from 30 mph over a distance of like 6" (the crumple distance of the bumper). Those panels are meant for cars rolling into them at speeds no more than 10mph.

Also (I work in the structural dept of the engineering firm that has been retained by the University to investigate their liability), one of the guys at work went out, surveyed the scene and found there is a lightpole directly in front of the panel. That, coupled with the fact that her truck was at angle diagonal to the edge of the slab, indicates that she must have hit the panel at an angle. She was more than likely trying to miss the lightpole, slam on the breaks and swerve (like she should) into the direction of the turn, unfortunately here, off of the edge of the building. Right now, they're trying to figure out how fast she must have been going using analysis of projectile motion (something we don't have to do too often at work).

I'm more concerened about her blood-radness level. Levels such as .8 or .9 indicate "Xtreme", while a level of 1.0 would be "pushing the envelope" but, if, as I suspect, her levels come back at 110% -then wow! Those kind of levels (technically described as "out the box") are rarely seen off of the sports fields and only in the case that a coach gives a stirring speech when the team is down by a sizeable margin at the end of the first half. Also, I would like a formal inquiry into the whereabouts of her black/asian/overweight sidekick (probably in a humorous food/marijuana/alcohol induced state of catatonia), who should have been in the passenger's seat.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 4:43 am

Sam....that's the best post you've ever made. Hope you don't mind.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 5:00 pm

Like I said, Mo money taxes.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 5:09 pm

Got an email that said I could get counseling for this if I needed it.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 5:13 pm

Counseling for stomach cramps from laughing so much?
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 6:20 pm

Unofficially, of course, the estimate of her speed, pre-impact is from 40 to 60 mph. The uncertainty in these calculations depend on the actual weight of her car and the panel at impact, the amount of energy absorbed by the impact and whether or not her car was equiped with a Dukes of Hazzard style novelty horn that played "Dixie".
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 6:21 pm

I'm just going to make up a story as to what I think happened and stick with it. You and your fuzzy math...
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 7:09 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

not likely. The panel she hit was a precast concrete panel, attached with no more than 6 fasteners. The building code requires that the panels be able to withstand a 6000 lbs load at 1'6" (roughly the height of the bumper) from the slab level.

The V8/ 4-speed/ 2wd automatic 2007 Avalanche goes from 0-60 mph in 8.6 seconds, the 1/4 mile in 16.8 seconds. The curb weight is almost 3 tons. If she was able to get an 1/8 mile, straight running start while accidentally hitting the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal on top of a parking structure, she could have reached 60 mph.

That concrete panel was a goner, even if all the fasteners were solid. Thanks for the informed info.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 11:03 pm

wow you know that when that girl heals she is going to have a fucking awsome story to tell...... insane
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 11:27 pm

Apparently, she failed to study the laws of gravity while in school. That kind of knowledge is crucial when deciding whether or not your car will fly.
Posted: Feb 2, 2007 11:29 pm

Mebbe she thought there was a rapidly decaying radioactive alien in her trunk.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 1:01 am

this.
thread.
rules.
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 1:03 am

Mebbe she thought there was a rapidly decaying radioactive alien in her trunk.

you mean there wasnt'?

what about a "thelma & louise" angle then?
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 7:22 pm

Nope, Bo & Luke Duke running moonshine, trying to evade the law by driving the "General Lee" right off the top of a parking garage. Get em' Flash!
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 10:02 pm

Miss Linda RULES!!!

I mean to be able read inbetween the lines like that. PURE GENIUS.

Hey Ms. Linda what do you think about Coy and Vance?
Posted: Feb 3, 2007 10:06 pm

miss linda does indeed rule.
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 7:57 pm

Who the h-e-double hocky stick are these Coy and Vance people?
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 3:25 am

"We don't know at this time if the person was involved in some kind of altercation on the roof, and was forced to drive over the edge ... Right now all we know is that whoever was in that black truck right there is hurt."

As I cannot find the vid now at Action News 5 online, please tell me they REALLY said the above.

And yeah, go Sambeaux with yer bad self.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 3:23 pm | Edited by: queenothetwist

verbatim. more or less
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 4:07 pm

Who the h-e-double hocky stick are these Coy and Vance people?

They were Beau and Luke's cousins who replaced them in the last couple of seasons. They were fucking horrible. They ruined the show by trying to save it.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 7:12 pm

The girl had a seizure.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 8:27 pm

They were Beau and Luke's cousins who replaced them in the last couple of seasons. They were fucking horrible. They ruined the show by trying to save it. That soundslike Arthur Fonzerelli trying to jump man-eating sharks . AAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
Posted: May 10, 2007 8:49 pm

She's here. In my office. Right now. She used to work here. I want to show her this thread so bad. I'd be like, "it's all about you!"
Posted: May 10, 2007 8:56 pm

Did she drop off anything?
Posted: May 10, 2007 9:01 pm

did you ask what she's doing for the fall?
Posted: May 10, 2007 9:04 pm

She should totally understand the gravity of her situation.
Posted: May 10, 2007 9:06 pm

did you ask what she's doing for the fall?

Perfect season for off-roading, if you ask me.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®