Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / History of Rock and Roll
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 7:50 pm

started auditing Bill Ellis' class at the U of M last night

nice

it occurred to me that I hadn't been in the Communications building in almost a decade - they have a freaking Starbucks up in there...

that shit was bananas
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 7:59 pm

Take notes!
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 8:05 pm

Whatever happened to "It's 2006...knowbody cares where the music they play came from anymore."
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 8:22 pm

Hye,
i'm in that class.
Which one are you, and why did we stay all 3 hours last night?
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 8:30 pm

Whatever happened to "It's 2006...knowbody cares where the music they play came from anymore."

It's 2007 now. Everything's CHANGED!

Starbucks up in there...
that shit was bananas

They sell bananas at Starbucks? Yeah, probably 8 bucks or something.
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 10:28 pm

one of at least 3 starbucks locations I can think of at u of m... have you been to the tiger den lately? it is the only thing I miss about that school
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 10:36 pm

I miss Altered Beast!
Posted: Jan 25, 2007 3:03 am

What exactly does "auditing a class"? Just curious.
Posted: Jan 25, 2007 3:39 am

What exactly does "auditing a class"?

you go but don't have to do anything if you don't want. and you don'tr get bad grades from it, but it doesn't show up ona transcript. i can't remember if you have to pay to audit.
Posted: Jan 25, 2007 5:36 pm

Gotcha.
Posted: Jan 25, 2007 5:42 pm

usually you do have to pay to audit a class.
Posted: Jan 26, 2007 12:57 am | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

I bet you could totally just start going to a class and get away with it. It's not like there's a guy at the door charging cover ...
Posted: Jan 29, 2007 5:04 pm

It's 2006...knowbody cares where the music they play came from anymore.

who said that?

it wasn't me

One of the first things Ellis did say was that it was a huge misconception that music has ever evolved in any sort of linear fashion at all...blues, jazz, country, ragtime were all developing at the same time, the same way many different genres are developing today - so sure you can hear certain influences but it's close to impossible to say that anything was born directly from something else, music is too multi-faceted. It all overlaps so much that in reality everyone is just guessing because there are so many elements...and it's kind of silly to worry too much about where a song or sound comes from, if it's enjoyable than it has served it's purpose.
Posted: Jan 29, 2007 5:35 pm

the same way many different genres are developing today - so sure you can hear certain influences but it's close to impossible to say that anything was born directly from something else
except in the 1920s there werent millions of albums recorded, a bazillion websites, magazines, books..music distribution, spread of information...unless dude from Mississppi delta went down to New Orleans to specifically listen to music regularly and incoporated its ideas into his own art and was back to the farm on Monday AM to work, whihc I doubt....the "development" of music 80/90 years ago cannot be looked at the same as it is today. Being influenced is as much subconscious as it is conscious. The level of the bombardment of information in 2007 versus 1927 is too large to simplify the fact that "blues, jazz, country, ragtime were all developing at the same time, the same way many different genres are developing today " . I call bullshit.
Also why is it "Silly" to know where a song or sound comes from? I would think that a form of entertainment that warrants a college level class would deserve that kind of scrutiny. But then again, music today has been trivialized...it is now something that is listened to while one does something else, it is a ringtone, a impermanent collection of ones and zeros on a website...not many people in the mianstream public sits down and just listens to music for the sake of listening to music...shit, most of the mainstream public doesnt even like music...they like the idea of music and whatever fashion or atomosphere is sometimes promises.
Posted: Jan 29, 2007 6:32 pm

silly to worry too much

was what he said - meaning to get your panties in a wad over it. Not silly to contemplate it, or discuss it - but silly to be so dismissive over something with no clear cut answer.

There's a book out called something like "The first Rock and Roll Song" and it has 60 possibilities in it.

I guess I should have been more clear in terms of saying that what my post was referring to was the class on "The Roots of Rock and Roll"

I don't disagree with much of what you are saying - I think you are certainly correct that music does develop evolve in a different way now.

Buy there were minstrel shows and vaudeville, and jug bands and speakeasies and plenty of traveling musicians to be influenced by...or just other musicians - and I agree with the argument that in the 20's, which is the era you cite, musicians had to have been much much more influenced by the all the music they came into contact with - in the same way that we are hardly fazed by violent video games or seeing boobies - we see that shit so much we don't even notice..

Anyway, there's no reason to call bullshit either way - it's just a discussion, there's no winner.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 1:03 am

Dear rachelandthecity,
I am missing class tomorrow. I would greatly appreciate it if you posted what happened in class. I've got important business to take care of.
Love,
Stephen
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 2:48 am

What on God's earth are you lot talking about?
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 2:55 am

Oh, just the usual...
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 12:28 pm

was on a king vidor kick recently and viewed "The Champ" for which Wallace Beery won the Acadamy Award back in the 30s. In one scene early on Jackie Coogan, the champ's kid, finds his old man in the beer garden stone, drunk. The kid enters the saloon and passes a band playing in the style of the time suited for drunks. The next time music is on the sound track is coming through the open window in the champ and his kid's one room above the street at night.

next morning, the night before the champ blows an interview with promoters, you dimish the champ in the eyes of his kid. Vidor has the champ bring the kid the spoils of some gambling which include a race horse. more drama at the track, win and loss. the times seem to be fueled by these elements. no questions of school or family values for the kids. just mess around and mark twain.
Posted: Feb 1, 2007 9:22 pm

I would greatly appreciate it if you posted what happened in class

Sun Studios spawns Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis etc - you know the story - if not, go take the tour...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®