Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / good place to live in memphis?
Posted: Oct 31, 2006 8:51 pm

where... I know midtown is what people tell me. planning on an early december move.
Posted: Oct 31, 2006 11:37 pm

VECA.
Vollintine-Evergreen.
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 12:43 am

Speedway terrace!
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 1:27 am | Edited by: Miss Faye

Hey, I'm in Speedway Terrace (across Cleveland from where Hemant's talking about though), which is in Vollintine-Evergreen. I absolutely love it. And it's the last vestige of affordable housing in Midtown. Although if you can afford it, some stuff downtown is cool. Cooper-Young's cool, but kinda crime-ridden. I'm sure I'll get some shit for that.
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 1:37 am

What is Speedway Terrace? Montgomery etc?
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 3:50 am | Edited by: hemant

yeah, that was a self-serving response on my part.

I'm trying to rent out a place that I renovated. But its still a cool neighborhood. I thought speedway terrace is the neighborhood west of voluntine evergreen, but Miss Faye makes me think that I might be wrong
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 3:51 am

New Spain rules.
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 2:55 pm

Posted: Oct 31, 2006, 9:51 pm Quote New Spain rules.

for heshers/mexicants that will rape your brain and ... 10 mile drives home drunk... I lived there and it sucked .. Move to crosstown.. Or Evergreen area ... everything else is wack
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 4:24 pm

I'm trying to rent out a place that I renovated.

More details, please?
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 5:14 pm

well I use to live there and shit inside the walls...!!!!
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 6:30 pm | Edited by: hemant

4 bedrooms (although the upstairs bedrooms are pretty small) 1.5 bath. Washer/ Dryer. dishwasher, refinished hardwood floors, central heat and air on first floor, monitored alarm system, fenced in back yard. I was asking $1000/ mo but the price just went up due to jay's added in-wall bonus
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 8:22 pm

How much for just the shit?
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 10:50 pm

Its a rad house....Over 2000 square feet.... somebody needs to scoop this joint up .
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 1:35 am

we're in speedway terrace... i think it runs along faxon/auburndale...
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 1:48 am

aren't we in veca? jeannie distributes the veca newsletters
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 1:56 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

I looked it up and it is mainly that area North of Jackson and N. Parkway--streets like Bellevue, Tutwiler, Montgomery, Faxon etc. It is a National Historic District! Who knew?
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 3:08 pm

Ah, jeannie said that it actually says speedway terrace on the deed for the house. Speedway Terrace comes from when it used to be farms around the area and tutwiler/faxon was cobblestone, they used it as a race track for horses
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 4:07 pm

I love all these mysterious Midtown neighborhood names...my last house there was in East End. I had never heard of that area being called that until I saw the real estate MLS list.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 5:53 pm

I thought speedway terrace is the neighborhood west of voluntine evergreen,
Speedway Terrace is a neighborhood within Vollintine Evergreen. I guess the original name as it was mapped out, but now I think they only use it for taxing us. I think it's something to do with being along Tutwiler/Faxon. Oh I just saw Bruce's post--cool.
It is a National Historic District!
Yep. But not stuffy like Central Gardens. You can pretty much do whatever you want to your house and yard around here.
So, does everyone live over here?
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 7:03 pm

I just moved from krosstown to across the street from audobon park...its nice not having dudes approach me at 3AM saying "hey big guy, I need to talk to you" anymore. I think the guns can stay in the closet at my new house. It was cool living in a big warehouse, but crackheads running amuck and trying to rob you at least once a week gets old.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 8:08 pm

VR - like it?
I moved over here in March, and so far I like everything about it except the fucking train horn in the middle of the night.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 10:20 pm

Yes I like it....the train doesnt bother me so much because I lived next to some train tracks for about 10 years in Texas and I guess I am used to it..in fact it is sort of comforting in some weird way.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 10:46 pm

i live kinda close...i live on willett between poplar and overton park - right around the corner from williamson park. :)
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 10:49 pm

I used to love living in the MSU area between Audobon Park and Highland, Park and Southern. Before we moved to New Spain, we actually looked for a house in that area first.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 1:57 pm

I just moved from krosstown
Did you live above the variety store at Cleveland and Overton Park?
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 5:00 pm

are we talkin about 1352 faxon hemant?
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 5:13 pm

Jack Stands, where the heck is New Spain?
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 5:39 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

New Spain is the area within the triangular barriers of Summer, I-240 and Jackson/National. Also can be named SE Nutbush. Some call it Grahamwood/Berclair area, but I think New Spain sounds way cooler and is far more acurate.

The "decent" section of New Spain is outlined in red:
http://www.thesonsabitches.com/New_Spain.bmp
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 5:44 pm

Also, for some reason, my neighborhood is technically named "St. Catherine". Dunno why.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 6:03 pm

I don't mind the horn when the windows are closed, but on cool evenings I like to open up the windows, and that horn is LOUD (I live 3 doors down from the crossing.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 6:34 pm

that's where Lucero lives...
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 6:50 pm

They still live in Lil Beirut?????
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 7:47 pm

no, a little further west...Orleans and Monroe by the Complex
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 7:54 pm

are we talkin about 1352 faxon hemant?

Yep.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 8:48 pm

The "decent" section of New Spain is outlined in red:

a friend of mine's dad lives over there and it is pretty nice. some bigger houses and lots of big trees. but once you get right by summer ave, ugh.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 8:53 pm

New Spain? That name has always bothered me a little bit, but I suppose you couldnt call it "new mexico" for obvious reasons...I reckon "New Guatemala" or "New Central America" would be more apt...I bet there isnt one resident from Spain in the entire neighborhood.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 8:54 pm

New Hispanola didn't roll off the tounge like I wanted, so I just shortened it.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 9:11 pm

a smart man I know once said....

"It's better to be from Memphis than to live in Memphis..."
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 9:16 pm

"It's better to be from Memphis than to live in Memphis..."

ehhhh...fuck that. i like living here.

i've been here and there and everywhere a lot and i still like being here better than most places. memphis has charm, great food, amazing music, and terrific people. and it's affordable.
Posted: Nov 8, 2006 5:18 am

I'm with Elle. Memphis has been pretty good to me. It has its faults, just like anywhere else, but overall it's a great city to live in.
Posted: Nov 26, 2006 7:29 pm

i've been here and there and everywhere a lot and i still like being here better than most places. memphis has charm, great food, amazing music, and terrific people. and it's affordable

charm???pray tell WHAT charm??

great food....I will agree with you there

amazing music.......?????not that blues/ rockabilly crap

terrific people.........yeah if you consider white hillbillies and black mammy talkers to be terrific
Posted: Nov 27, 2006 12:50 am

Memphis has a certain charm...it isn't something as obviously "charming" as Charleston or Savannah or NOLA or even Oxford or whatever, but there is no place like Memphis--even in good ways.

No one from Memphis is a "hillbilly"--unless they moved there from Lenoir City or Maryville or Siloam Springs or etc etc etc.
Posted: Nov 27, 2006 1:32 am

No one from Memphis is a "hillbilly"-

Yeah, this is low country.
Posted: Nov 27, 2006 1:47 am

Posted: Oct 31, 2006, 9:51 pm Quote New Spain rules.

for heshers/mexicants that will rape your brain and ... 10 mile drives home drunk... I lived there and it sucked .. Move to crosstown.. Or Evergreen area ... everything else is wack

i live over there and i like my street....it's not 10 miles! i'm 4 miles from the hitone. except for like 1 or 2 families all the people near me are white. i have seen mexican families down a block or 2 from me but i have no issues with that. i lived in a probably 98% puerto rican/dominican neighborhood in brooklyn for nearly 2 years though.
Posted: Nov 28, 2006 9:32 am

all the people near me are white
for heshers
Posted: Nov 28, 2006 2:36 pm

i dunno....they seem like nice families....i've met alot of the neighbors and they were all really friendly. my only complaint is there's tons of kids and they run out in the street alot.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®