Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Best of Memphis Grafitti
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 2:39 am | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

Best:

Theme Involving Law Enforcement:
"Pigz Can Suck It!" -on the Goodwill wall behind Brother Junipers

Theme Involving Ex-Chief of State and Teutonic Ass Fanatics:
"Gerald Ford was no jerk[,] Butt Germnz R.R.R.R.R.(symbol that looks like a lower case gamma)" -backdoor of Los Compadres

Work in Concrete:
"Chuck Vicious" accompanying a drawing of an acoustic guitar -train bridge underpass on Cooper

Work Involving a Crudely Drawn Mexican smokin' a doob:
"Guacos Spark It Up!" next to Crudely Drawn Mexican -Hi-Tone bathroom
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 2:44 am

Smoking area/stairwell at Young Avenue Sound:
Number of signatures on wall preceded by Lil'.
There must be a million short people in Memphis.
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 3:22 am

Best Cunnilinus Simile:
"Pussy Tastes Like Fish" (while the sentiment is cliche, the execution-backwards lettering so it "can only be read in the mirror"- brings new life to the old classic) -RP Tracks Men's Room paper towel dispenser/reflection in mirror
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 4:02 am

Superman Dam Fool - that's not around anymore is it?
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 6:00 am

Superman Dam Fool

that was my favorite one EVER. it's gone now. been painted over.

*cries*
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 7:59 am

The "ism"s on the men's bathroom walls at Alex's ...

"Shaq cain't hit no three frows!"

"Memphis Steak done beat up on a cripple team."

"Foam ringin!"

Etc.
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 8:03 am

Nostalgia: "Goddammee Square Head" - Over urinal in Antenna Men's room.
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 8:11 am

I was driving along Park Ave. with my mom, on the way to a quiet lunch at one of the innoffensive eateries that she enjoys, when I turned to look at the infamous grafitti magnet...the railroad bridge over Park and Ridgeway (across from M.U.S.). I burst out at a sloppily done "I LOVE TO TEAR UP PUSSY!!" and couldn't bring myself to answer my mom's "what's so funny?"
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 8:13 am

Oh, that wasn't that long ago, which means I'm pretty sure I'd passed the age of 30 when it occured.
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 4:29 pm

gone, but not forgotten:

URL
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 5:31 pm

...and just to the right with a 'X' thru it..."Superman Jaws."
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 6:29 pm

I kind of liked the one I saw at a rest stop years ago on the way to New York that simply stated... " I rape children"

This guy didn't beat around the bush. Well, I guess he did but it was very young bush.
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 6:39 pm

at the Buc -

'I sucked Rob Zombie's dick in this stall."

(No, I did not write it.)

But my all time favorite bathroom stall graffiti was at the old Perkins in downtown Nashville:

"God is dead."
~ Nietzsche

then directly below it:

"Nietzsche is dead."
~ God
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 11:09 pm

Tan 'N GoNADS was on the back of the Tan'N Go next to Midtown Video for a short while.
Posted: Oct 31, 2006 3:08 am

i liked whenever someone had painted over the C on the "CHUNG" sign of that business (whatever it is...i'm still not sure) on cooper...
Posted: Nov 1, 2006 12:17 am

The Toad Hall Penis is still my fave (mostly because it appeared in the Memphis Business Journal)
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 7:20 am

I know the culprit on that one. My fav bathroom graf is "give your gifts freely to the world and one day god will repay you...and someone wrote next to it "and fuck your mom." Also there's a tagger called jazz that writes "that's enough jon mayer" And the time my friend was putting up flyers that said 6-6-06 with a guy with a bandana over his face and some people from a church near buy tagged it with pics of jesus.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 1:32 pm

I remember this. Best ever. I drove by it every morning on my way to work and it made me happy.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 5:57 pm

"give your gifts freely to the world and one day god will repay you...and someone wrote next to it "and fuck your mom."

oh yeah that's a favorite of mine. I'm thinking t-shirts.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 6:32 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

"Superman Dam Fool"

I knew that sounded familiar...

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/beifuss/archives/2006/10/the_indie_m emph_2.html

In creating "Nobody," Murphey and Spearman - despite their newspaper background - weren't sticklers for documentary authenticity; the movie contains recreated scenes and staged inserts, although these non-photojournalistic images aren't as revealingly stylized as they are in the documentaries of Errol Morris, for example. Originally, "Nobody" was 90 minutes long and titled "Superman Dam Fool" after a famous bit of Memphis graffiti; the shorter edit is tighter and more coherent and certainly more audience-friendly, but in a way I miss the longueurs of the feature-length version, which seemed to more accurately recapitulate the Jerry Bell experience - the sense of rounding mysterious bends on a journey toward the unknown and losing oneself in uncharted mental territory.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®