Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Memphis Radio on Sunday nights...
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:27 am

98.1 has Little Steven, 102.7 has the Locals Only 3-hour spot. Skipping between thesetwo and Drudge, I settled a few times on the Locals thing. There seems to be a lot of the ilk coming from New Daisy and Christian-Rock College. I haven't submitted any Sonsabitches material to them yet, either, but how come I don't hear any of the bands that I go out to see with regularity on there? I figured I'd hear at least one or two (and I may have very well missed them, bouncing around on the radio waves), but never do. Just curious. I have no relation to the station or the program, but I wondered if anyone would submit? If not, why? I see bitching all the time about local radio lack of interest in local music. Just wondering why no one sends their stuff in? Haven't heard the show? Been meaning to, but never could get past the bong? Will conscienciously and politically shrug the chains of corporate radio?
Just curious. Why don't I hear y'all on the radio?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:20 am

I've spent the last 2 months trying to get our most radio friendly record ever played on 92.9, 94.1, fm 100, & rock 103. The record fits all 4 formats on many different songs. The only station that has played it is WEVL! WEVL rules! The guy from 92.9 met with me but never played it. The other people didn't return my calls nor have they played it. These guys aren't even pretending to care about playing Memphis music. Complete waste of time.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:21 am

P.S. Don't forget about Jeremy's great show on WEVL on Sunday nights!
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:22 am

Did you submit a disc to 103? As far as I know, you don't have to talk to them.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:23 am

For the "Locals Only" show, not trying to get it into regular rotation.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:26 am

Tim Spencer, program director, received a copy in early August. Yes, and he does not return calls.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:28 am

It's got "locals only" musicians on it, but it is not a "locals only" cd. I also think ghettoizing the music like that increases the likelihood of people not listening.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:02 am

Count me as a nobody for listening.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:09 am

Hey, I wish they they threw a Memphis track in once per hour on every station. That would help the local music scene/biz tremendously. (My feelings on this subject are well-documented publically). Locals-only shows once a week on Sundays are designed to fail so that they don't have to play the music the rest of the week. It's a scapegoat program.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:44 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Truly, it's against itself, and the commercials lead you to belive so. But this all or naught state of mind...
Either take over WEVL or Flynn, or use what we got. Whyb egrudge the sinking ship? 'Cause you don't know if it's sinking. You really don't.
Yes, there's schmeck on the local show. A lot of it. But what are you doing to prove otherwise? Hoping Tim is going to make it mainstream,then blame him when it doesn't? Locals only is desperate. Looking for anything, and they get everything. Except what we been hypin'.
Lame.
There's an easy output here. It probably will fail, sherman.
But WEVL ain't the only outlet, and they tend to be selective.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:48 am

I guess if it's such a great show they can borrow Tim's copy that he's not using. I don't get your point.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 8:09 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

My point is, you're going for full rotation. Not that it shouldn't happen (I'm going on a guess here, I have no idea what you're promoting; maybe it is major label worthyness?) ButI'm saying, other bands in this town could send their stuff in to "Joe Cool" and Rick Cheese. It seems like a no-brainer for un-signed's.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 2:36 pm

I also think ghettoizing the music like that increases the likelihood of people not listening.

Correct.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 2:44 pm

So, the music is "too good" for the 103?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 3:05 pm

So, the music is "too good" for the 103?

No - Just that it shouldn't be segregated from everything else on the station. It actually gives the listenership the impression that they're bringing out the jayvee team for two hours.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 3:39 pm

3 hours. WEVL doesn't play locals "all the time", either, but during "segregated shows. What's the difference?
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:24 pm

I thought about submitting, but we are "signed," i.e. on a DIY label from San Fran (Prank!). Might be able to get on with a CD-R or something, though...
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:27 pm

Oh, and add hand-drawn "sick tribal, brah" on said CD-R. Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 4:53 pm

Jack, the cd I've just put out is not a "local" band, which is a term I think denigrates the music. Memphis music currently coming out is better than most of what you hear on the commercial Memphis radio stations. Time will show that.

For whatever reasons--format style, money, payola, ignorant program directors--my releases have never received any radio play on Memphis commercial radio. WEVL has been great over the years and they do, occasionally, play Memphis music mixed in their various formats--especially Harlan T. Bobo. With this new release--a Texas band recorded at Ardent, I've been extremely pro-active trying to see if commercial radio has changed its attitude since the advent of internet radio, satellite radio, and fiercer competition in general. The answer I have found is no, they have gotten worse and harder to crack. The evidence is there when you hear artists who have traditionally been shoved down the public's throats (I'm talking about Tom Petty-type classic rockers etc. here) complaining about the lack of airplay because of Clear Channel's stranglehold and the loosening of ownership regulations that has allowed massive consolidation in each market in the last 10 years.

I think Memphis bands should give their cds to rock 103 and do everything they can to get them (or any station) to play it. (I submitted mine to the program director and he has not played it on a locals show or any show). However, I don't think their format will be heard as they are ghettoizing the music, and from what you say, they are playing a lot of dreck. Why should I listen to 3 hours of lame music? Why not put the best songs in the regular rotation? They did in the late'70s/early '80s with Keith Sykes, Target, Larry Raspberry and it greatly benefited those bands and the Memphis musis scene. (By the way, those were not necessarily the best songs, but my point is they played Memphis bands heavily in rotation...) I don't think bands should be played just because they have a cd out. I think they should be played because it's great music. I think the "program directors" (don't know why they call them that any more, they aren't programming anything anymore--just playing something off a fax from corporate) wouldn't know a great song if it bit them in their ass or else they wouldn't be playing a majority of what is on Memphis radio.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:10 pm

However, I don't think their format will be heard as they are ghettoizing the music, and from what you say, they are playing a lot of dreck. Why should I listen to 3 hours of lame music?
My point was that there was dreck, and yet I have music form local bands that I listen to, and don't hear it on the program. I agree that to an extent, the local slot doesn't amount to much for the average listener, but to say "ghettoize", well that smacks of snobbery.
For the sake of argument, let's say the listenership of said local program is %80 the bands themselves and their friends. Fine. The more bands that add their music to the show, the more listeners there are.
I think one of the unfortunate aspects of the show is that it is pre-recorded. There's no way to guage the listenership, as there is no one to take the calls from said bands or band's friends asking "when are you gonna play that song by (insert band here)".
From what I understand, there is at least one band from that show that has at least moved into the "afternoon drive time" slot on occasion.
I guess I'm just curious why more bands don't do it. I don't listen every Sunday to all three hours, admittedly, but I do check in. I'd just like to hear the Boston Chinks or Kazalok or Rat Traps or Final Solutions or Six String Jets or etc. for a nice surprise.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:15 pm

No, it doesn't smack of snobbery. The way they set up the show is condescending. "Ok, this stuff isn't good enough to compete with our normal great Loverboy tracks, so here it is in a corner in big pile of shit. We don't even care if it's good. We'll just play anything you send so that we can say we are playing local music. Now turn off your radio for 3 hours and then at midnight, we'll get back to playing boston, kansas, heart, & the eagles."
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:21 pm

personally, I'd rather listen to a show dedicated to new Memphis music than have to sift through Loverboy, Boston, Kansas, Heart, and the Eagles, to get to a few good new tracks... but that's just me...
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:35 pm

So, how is the show, Andria? It's been on for a while and I haven't heard anyone except Jack say they have listened to it. Sunday night, I check out Little Steven's show occasionally, but my favorite is Jeremy's on Wevl, which is always playing great stuff I've never heard before nor probably will never hear anywhere else.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:42 pm

...I'd rather listen to a show dedicated to new Memphis music than have to sift through Loverboy, Boston, Kansas, Heart, and the Eagles...

Thank you. I think the same is true with WEVL, sort of, too... "Here's an obscure version Manhattan Transfer doing the 'Theme from Riverdance' on rain sticks, and if we have time, we'll throw on some Coach and Four after this first set Grateful Dead from on top of the Mayan pyramids in 1988".

But I will throw in Jeremy's show into the Sunday mix. Sunday night is by far my biggest chunk of radio listening I do all week.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:46 pm

it's decent -- Secret Service, Snowglobe, Dan Montgomery, David Brookings, and Chess Club are getting lots of rotation... along with an occasionally bluesy anomaly or some Dempseys rockabilly. basically, I agree with Robin [Jack], I think Dennis Phillipi will play whatever he's sent. Robin, why dontcha send in some of your live recordings?

I believe Rock 103 was behind that local band concert series @ the Redbirds stadium this summer, like when the Secret Service played. that was definitely good exposure for local musicians!

I agree that Jeremy's WEVL slot is awesome, I also really like the Memphis Beat (mach 1 with Hayden and mach 2 with Andrew). I also liked Hayden's modern rock show, dunno who's hosting it now, but he always played a lot of good new stuff that I might not hear otherwise.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:49 pm

I guess I should throw out there that I love Bashful Bob's show, too.
"And now an imprtant public service announcement about spiders..."
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:56 pm

The way they set up the show is condescending.
yeah, but Rock 103's motto is "classic rock all day long."

they're not obligated to play ANY Memphis music. every city in the country has a classic rock station -- in Atlanta, it was 96X, home of the rock'n'roll preppie (OK, that was their slogan in '85, not sure what it is now), and they sure weren't playing any up-and-coming ATL bands, even though Drivn & Cryn etc were tearing up the local scene...

plus, Rock 103 is a Clear Channel station -- dunno how you'd get an independent album played on ANY CC station, except during a show like the local one, which it seems like Dennis does out of his own interest...

just my two cents...
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:12 pm

They are not obligated to play classic rock all day long either. They are obligated to make money or else change their format. I think they would have more Memphis listeners if they played more Memphis music during the day. More listeners=more money from advertising. Every radio station in town needs more listeners--as you should see the ratings, not good. They are not very good for most stations and they are losing more listeners every day to the internet & satellite. The world is changing and rock 103 (esp.) is headed out the door, if slowly, if they don't improve their format selections. Their growth is stagnant at best. I will not be upset when that happens.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:24 pm

Dennis

Will you please refer to him as "Joe Cool". When people call him Dennis Phillipi, I get very confused.

I think the same is true with WEVL, sort of, too... "Here's an obscure version Manhattan Transfer doing the 'Theme from Riverdance' on rain sticks, and if we have time, we'll throw on some Coach and Four after this first set Grateful Dead from on top of the Mayan pyramids in 1988".

I think WEVL plays local music that's appropriate to the show. The people that do rock shows play local rock. I've heard local jazz on jazz shows (occasionally). When I did my brief stint on Put on Your Metal Face, we played Adios Gringo and Epoch of Unlight. The thing about WEVL is, if you're listening to a Celtic show, you can't expect them to slip on some local music...unless it's Celtic. Just the way it works. And Jeremy does a good job on Sunday nights. My wife really likes his show a lot (I like it too, but I think she likes it more).

As for trying to sort through the dreck on Rock 103's locals show, man, I hear enough dreck from the other bands where we practice to last me all week. And I'm guessing they're the type of bands they are playing, because they are certainly "radio friendly". "Dude I just KNOW we're gonna MAKE IT!"

Basically, a lot of this goes back to another lengthy thread about how nice it would be to have a decent college station.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:30 pm

I think they would have more Memphis listeners if they played more Memphis music during the day.

In 103's case, I don't necessarily believe this is true. Look at the demographic (and you know who I'm talking about). Listen to the lunchtime request hour(s), and you'll know the general audience listening to that station overall are looking for "deep cuts" from Van Hagar and Journey, or the ever present "Children of the Sun". They almost have to ease their general listenership into local music. And they do, to an extent.

I'm just glad there is a station that dedicates some of their programming to local music, and I'd just like to hear more from bands that I go out to see on the radio.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:36 pm

As for trying to sort through the dreck on Rock 103's locals show, man, I hear enough dreck from the other bands where we practice to last me all week. And I'm guessing they're the type of bands they are playing, because they are certainly "radio friendly". "Dude I just KNOW we're gonna MAKE IT!"

Dennis once expressed to me the basic idea (will not paraphrase) that one particular local band would NOT be played on their show. Basically, he strongly implied that it was more WEVL's responsibility than theirs. It was one of the noiser bands mentioned above.

The last ratings I have (from august) have rock 103 8th in listenership for Memphis, tied with fm 100 & just a little above wlok (am!). Dennis is not doing any favors for Memphis. They need more listeners badly. If they don't improve their numbers, Dennis will be looking for a job.

Improved local programming is a major way radio can stave off internet/satellite competition. They might figure it out, but so far not.

NOISIER, even.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:40 pm

For whatever reasons--format style, money, payola, ignorant record label owners--my demos have never received any offers from Memphis record labels. Shangri La has been great over the years and they do, occasionally, release Memphis music but they haven't offered to sign my band. With this new demo recorded at Ardent, I've been extremely pro-active trying to see if Shangri La has changed its attitude since the advent of downloading, CD-R burning, and fiercer competition in general. The answer I have found is no, they have gotten worse and harder to crack. The evidence is there when you hear artists who have traditionally been shoved down the public's throats (I'm talking about the Pavement-type indie rockers etc. here) complaining about the lack of signings because of Sherman's stranglehold and the loosening of ownership regulations that has allowed massive consolidation in the recording market in the last 10 years.

I think Memphis bands should give their cds to Shangri La and do everything they can to get them (or any other label) to release it. (I submitted mine to Sherman and he has not released it as a 7inch or any cd). However, I don't think their format will be heard as they are ghettoizing the music, and from what you say, they are releasing a lot of dreck. Why should I buy three cds of lame music? Why not put the best music out on your label? They did in the late'80s/early '90s with the Grifters, Simpletones, Cornfed and it greatly benefited those bands and the Memphis musis scene. (By the way, those were not necessarily the best releases, but my point is they put out many cds by Memphis bands...) I don't think bands should be released just because they have a demo recorded. I think they should be released because it's great music. I think the "record label owners" (don't know why they call them that any more, they aren't owning anything anymore--just releasing something off a demo from their friends) wouldn't know a great song if it bit them in their ass or else they wouldn't be releasing a majority of what is on the Memphis scene.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:45 pm

that one particular local band ...one of the noiser bands mentioned above

That's not very specific at all...
Did said band submit anything to them?

That's kind of a shitty stance to take, though, dolling out air time responsibilities...

One thing I don't like is the lack of clarity in what can or can't be submitted; some rules are obvious, no curse words, no bluegrass or thug rap, etc., but the rules as to what is "signed" vs. "unsigned". Like, they will allow small label or no label at all, but there's variance on what constitutes a "small label"...
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 6:54 pm

that one particular local band ...one of the noiser bands mentioned above

That's not very specific at all...
Did said band submit anything to them?

I know it's not specific, and yes they did.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:02 pm

I know it's not specific,

It's killing me to know who, though...
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:14 pm

I know it's not specific,

It's killing me to know who, though...

Check yer myspace.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:21 pm

Checked! Thanks, man.

I will agree that their system isn't perfect, I'm just glad there is a vehicle out there for Local music. And they do promote it fairly heavily throughout the week on their afternoon show.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:26 pm

Oh, boy, another angry, anonymous post! How refreshing. I do listen to every demo I receive and most do not get released for various reasons--mainly because I don't love the submitted music or don't think I can sell it (or both). I give Memphis bands 1st priority over all others, but I have found that a majority of Memphis bands won't make the committment to promoting their records i.e. touring (It's great to see bands hitting the road of late, but most Memphis bands don't).

I am releasing a compilation record next as I have found the number of bands who can do a great record all the way through is just not happening very frequently. I also encourage any band who submits a demo to me to put it out themselves as you can always control your own destiny and find out how difficult it is to sell music when you have to release it yourself. If you believe in your music so much, not such a big thing, put your money where your mouth is. I do.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:31 pm

If you believe in your music so much, not such a big thing, put your money where your mouth is.

I want to do this, but I'm broke. And I don't want to have to burden another label with it, as there is no telling if/when we'd be able to tour because, well, we're basically lazy. I have a couple of recordings of others that I know would do well, but again, I'm broke.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:41 pm

How much does it cost to put it up on your website as a download release? You're a technical whiz. Take paypal & you're a record label. There's always a way--sometimes not exactly what you want but that's the attitude that keeps the music interesting to me.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:47 pm

Improved local programming is a major way radio can stave off internet/satellite competition. They might figure it out, but so far not.

Damn right. I've been cheering on the growth of satellite radio, and I am not even planning on getting one.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:47 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

put it up on your website as a download release?

I know. We talked about it before, and I looked into it a little bit.
But I'm a moron who really, really likes records.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:52 pm

You can get 200 cds cheaper than ever now. Vinyl is actually going crazy pricewise cuz of oil. 45s are really high to do now. Supposedly larry nix isn't even mastering vinyl any more, at least that's what he told me in july.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 7:57 pm

Mastering, I'm not worried about; we can do that. Just the scratch to put out 2xLP + 10" = expensive.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 8:00 pm

Then there was that "Live From Memphis" 45 series I wanted to put out...

Ugh. Somebody give me money.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 9:10 pm | Edited by: dangerouspinkie

my two cents goes like this:

i don't know tim spencer, but if i had a cd i wanted to play on the radio and somebody didn't return my calls, i might try somebody else at said station. this is how we got our cd played on rock 103 and 92.9 and have been asked to do several events for both. i certainly appreciate the frustration, but it's just wasted on this, because unless the ownership changes, the radio station's philosophy is not going to change. if memphis bands really put stock into the locals only show it could become a kick ass show. yes it might not be the show where every single song is something i appreciate, but it could be a solid show that might (holy shit i mean think about the possibilities) get a decent fucking response! logical arguments with radio executives are completely useless. there is only one thing that changes programming and that is massive response. if you want a station to change at all, then you should focus on this and the locals only show is about your only shot. it may not be what we would do if we could control the business, but we don't control the business. and it takes an awful lot of grass roots action to get a station to play music by bands that don't pay them money to play it. these stations are caught up in a monopoly that includes venues and royalties and your local dj whether it be dennis phillippi or Chris fucking Morris can only do so much. those guys are trying and putting in a lot of time to do it, and although you may disagree with their choices their doing as much as anybody to help the bands that they enjoy to get further. certainly it's easy for me to appreciate them since they have worked with us so much, but they have plenty more going than that. and no matter what your problem with tim spencer is, he's not an elected official, he's lower level management for a huge conglomerate, and i wouldn't waste a lot of time hoping for him to change or even for him to get fired so somebody else can do his job. if you think he is an autonomous force within Clear Channel you've got to be kidding.

that said, i agree with much of what sherman says about radio, and i do agree that segregating it gives it a disadvantage. but reality is reality, and i'm not about to give up on any media outlet even though i pretty much think they are all full of shit.

p.s. i really appreciate sherman's program to help get cd's to college radio stations around the country, we have already reaped benefits and it is one of the coolest things anyone has helped us do so far.
Posted: Oct 16, 2006 9:42 pm | Edited by: sherman

Hey, don't think I lose too much sleep over what rock 103 does. It's not in my business plan. But that said, if they want to play my releases, they got 'em. They never have and I don't waste much time on 'em. They always have an excuse why the don't, but that's their policy. Meanwhile, the rest of the world has no problem playing Memphis music and my releases so fuck 'em. They don't and no big deal. Their loss. As I said, the world is changing and clear channel is losing share.

I like the way you can distribute your music through blogs (rachels & the city scenestars blog is actually pretty damn influential out there & she deserves respect for getting memphis music out there, folks. She's far more important than rock 103 for getting music out to the world), myspace, and you tube now. These truly are changing the music world and see ya later, rock 103's playlist. For those whiners out there (hope I'm not coming off as one as I'm just telling it like it is in the hopelessly beyond the times Memphis marketplace), myspace & you tube have levelled the playing field like no other invention in the last 20 years. You can put your music up for free and get a tour out of it (Mick from the porch ghouls just booked a 6 week tour through myspace connections) or get your music heard & sold if it is any good.

Another thing, if a Memphis band doesn't have a live from memphis sign up, they're missing out. This is the real memphis music commission and the shit they have planned is the future of Memphis music (or any music). Most cities don't have a live from memphis type site and this is an invaluable tool for promotion.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 12:41 am

I do listen to every demo I receive and most do not get released for various reasons--mainly because I don't love the submitted music or don't think I can sell it (or both).
funny, substitute the word "released" for "played" and I can almost hear tim spencer saying the same exact thing...
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 2:44 am

Sadly, a Sunday timeslot has historically been the Siberia of commercial radio...
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 5:03 am

I know tim spencer didn't play any of the releases I manufactured & distributed for your label. I imagine he didn't get through any of 'em. Funny?
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 7:08 pm

Mind you WEVL ain't bad right now, either.

Howdy, Buck!
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 7:28 pm

Jack O. on right now!
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 8:16 pm

Every radio station in town needs more listeners--as you should see the ratings, not good.

Sherman.....almost every station in town is owned by Clear Channel.....and the listeners now have ipods stuck in their ears listening to their own radio station.......used to be if you saw someone with earphones, they were listening to commercial radio.....now it's a mix of the stuff they own......who needs radio anymore? Clear Channel signed it's own demise when they bought all of the radio stations......and their demise, while not imminent, is one I look forward to with great glee. Then and only then will radio go back to a true local format that ATTRACTS listeners.......when I was a kid, I could not wait to hear what the DJ was gonna play or gonna say......it was exciting......now it's a snoozefest.
Posted: Oct 17, 2006 8:22 pm

Even satellite plays the same damn shit all the time. They have satellite in the restaurant where Hollis works and I don't even eat there that much, but the Rolling Stones station plays the same Rolling Stones all the time. The best thing I can say about satellite--esp. for a city like Whitey Portland--is the opportunity to finally hear hip hop and rap that is current in the South and East Coast. The Portland station is so far behind, sometimes YEARS behind.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 6:26 am

i have a radio show on a college radio station in murfreesboro, tn, and one of my show's selling points was playing memphis music. if you send it to me/the station (wmts), i will probably play it. it's not much, but it's something.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 5:24 pm

thanks jenny. will you send me your info. justicenatchez@yahoo.com

if you guy think clear channel is going quietly into that goodnight, you are delusional. even if the commercial radio thing gets turned on its ear, they have a ton of money and property that they can take over the next thing anyways. and even if they don't the executives that have built it and the next generation who continues to run it will not quit the music business. they will be the people making the decisions (in fact are many of the people who make the decisions now) at sattelite radio stations.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 5:38 pm

I know tim spencer didn't play any of the releases I manufactured & distributed for your label. I imagine he didn't get through any of 'em. Funny?
Sherman, I will always love ya and be grateful to you for manufacturing and releasing Sugar Ditch product -- but never, ever, did I think that any of our releases -- Othar Turner, Jim Dickinson, Big Ass Truck, the Simps, whatever -- were appropriate for Rock 103's playlist. That's like shooting a YouTube short and demanding play on Turner Classic Movies -- I'm not saying one's "better" than the other, they're just entirely different aesthetics...
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 7:14 pm

clear channel is here to stay, as terrifying as it is. i think our college radio station is even receiving corporate underwriting from them, although i haven't let that change what we play (we just have to mind the fcc regulations a bit more). memphis music can get a good response anywhere (it has here), as long as people are willing to play it and bands are willing to make albums with at least one song that doesn't have the word "fuck" in it multiple times.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 7:55 pm

This sunday night on WEVL...Monsiuer Jeffery Evans will be on from 6-8pm before Jeremy's show. That's 4 solid hours of radio!

The Memphis Beat...I've been doing the Memphis Beat show for 6 weeks and I love it. Still getting in the swing of things. My format as far as current Memphis bands go for the time being is...playing bands with new releases and bands that have shows coming up. I don't pick favorites or friends. This is not a strict format either. I've enjoyed playing a lot of stuff from the last 10 years. I don't think I was asked to do the show because I have a copy of every current Memphis band's CD either. There was so much great music made in town that never got airplay when it came out. Weither it was an old gospel tune,a garage band,rockabilly, blues, etc. There is no need for "Mustang Sally or Green Onions" anymore. They got their airplay. I think this is how a show called "Memphis Beat" show be. Memphis music of all genres, from the past and present. I hate when a great record is forgotten. I love trying to find an older Memphis tune to mix into a new one. Trying to play only current stuff is so limited. There just aren't as many bands in town as there use to be.
If anyone wants to give me a CD for airplay I will gladly take it and try my hardest to play it. Especially when you have a show coming up. It's only one hour a week so it would be impossible to play everything. I think a show like this is very important. In 40 years, I'd love to turn on the radio and still hear the Boston Chinks or Kazalok or Rat Traps or Final Solutions or Six String Jets or the Sonsabitches, etc. and not just hear current bands.

As far as 103, 98.1, and 92.9 goes...local bands ain't paying their bills. Bigtime labels are. Personally, I wouldn't sweat being played on those stations unless you are..."trying to make it." Stick to stations like WEVL who are run by people who understand the struggle because they are part of it.
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 11:14 pm

Any band who plays in public and puts out a record is "trying to make it" and should welcome any radio play they receive. Unfortunately, wevl doesn't have the listenership or utilize the airwaves enough to allow Memphis bands to "make it" in this small market. It is a shame that good Memphis music is not played at the expense of dreck on commercial radio. I couldn't agree more with Golightly. When has Memphis radio, outside of wevl/wlyx, been fun since rick dees left town?
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 12:04 am

Any band who plays in public and puts out a record is "trying to make it"

I disagree. Not everyone who makes music is trying to get a big label deal. When I said "trying to make it" that meant bands that put out music and play shows with the sole purpose of making money. Some people still make music as a creative outlet and well...just because they love it.
I could make a ton of money DJing top 40 hits, commercial rap, and doing weddings playing the YMCA and Macarena but, that's not why I DJ. Just because you are in a band who records...doesn't mean you are trying to make a living off it.
Gary & The Various Textures turn down deals all the time. It's because you can't put a price on the magic they create.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 12:07 am

We agree to disagree. People make records to sell them or else your job would be to give them away. That doesn't pay much.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 4:58 am

rock 103 did a gary and the various textures "rock block" during drivetime. and gave gary a handjob.
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 5:04 am

hee=haw!
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 3:29 am

I can't shake off Sherman's comment about the Sunday slots of 103 and FM 100 being just above WLOK, an a.m. station. While I know very little about the workings of the music industry and the new roles radio stations play in getting bands kick-started, I do remember the days of Rick Dees at WHBQ and the soul stations WDIA and WLOK. Sunday nights were the best for these stations. They had comedy and some really great plays of local groups. All three stations promoted the bands and had them on for interviews.

FM radio only really got its start in the late 70s. I remember when ROCK103 first came on. It was mindblowing to everyone that a station would play tracks off an album and not just from a 45 single hit. But that was all on a nationwide level. All these FM stations got their grassroots beginnings from paying the tolls at the AM level.

AM radio, I think, could be the place to start. If Goner, Makeshift, Easley, and the rest got together to present an AM station with their idea of a weekly show promoting local talent, it might not be the fastest way to get exposure, but it could be the surest.
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 5:42 pm

jenny are you on 88.3? if so which program and do you spin vinyl?
Posted: Oct 20, 2006 6:56 pm

The college station here, though it could be improved as far as its hours and distance of broadcast, is on AM. It has easily the most interesting radio in Portland.
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 1:34 am | Edited by: jenny

yes, our show (i co-host) is called hang the dj, and it's on 88.3 on wednesday mornings from 8-10. and yes, we play a lot of records, as challenging as operating semi-complex machinery is for me. we had an all-memphis show a few weeks ago, people actually called in to find out who 3 or 4 of the bands were. it was really exciting. do you live in murfreesboro???
our myspace is www.myspace.com/hangthedjradio
Posted: Oct 21, 2006 1:46 am | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

Is "In the Studio" with Redbeard still on Sunday nights?
Posted: Oct 26, 2006 12:54 am

Posted: Nov 8, 2006 5:35 am

As someone who has an absolute front seat to the entire 103 "great unsigned" program, I'll explain it the best I can. The only way to get a song played on the program is to send your disc directly to Dennis and Ric (not Spencer). They listen to every disc that comes in and usually within 5 seconds of playing the song, they make a quick, probably irrational, decision on whether or not to play it. So if it doesn't tickle their fancy in the first 30 seconds, it's not going to be played. It has to be within their personal taste too... and they're not going to shows to see bands like the Chinks or Six String Jets play. I'm not sure if either of those bands have sent in CDs, but I can imagine what Dennis and Ric's reaction would be. The program is definitely done for their personal gain, and they have no serious interest in local music. They're clueless about the local music scene, yet they think they're at the forefront because of their 3 hour program. It's all done to make CC more money and to give publicity/self gratification to its hosts.
Posted: Nov 8, 2006 5:48 am | Edited by: sherman

I listened to about 10 minutes of their show two weeks ago. They spent the whole time talking about how chicks could send in a promo picture with their cd and they could stare at the chick's tits. That show ain't gonna help anyone.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®