Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 4:23 pm

the begining of the saga...

I go to the Uhaul facilty a 1/2 mile from my house(Union and Danny Thomas) to pick up a truck I reserved.
they tell me "YOUR TRUCK" (I havent rented it yet, how is it MY truck") had its battery stolen from it last night. I say "Well, put a new battery in it" "we cant do that" WTF!!!!???#1
"give me another truck"
"those trucks are for our other customers"WTF??!!?#2
"we sent your reservation to another Uhaul facility..the one on N. WATKINS(about 12 miles away)"
I tell them "you charge by the mile, this is going to cost me about $30 extra"
"sorry, this is NOT OUR PROBLEM" WTF!!!???#3

I call the other Uhaul facility..."we have no reservation for you"WTF!!??#4
but we have a truck that came in to be repaired and it is finished, do you want this one?" i say "If it is road worthy and functional, I will take it"
I go up there and rent the truck.
AS I PULL OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY OF THE UHAUL FACILTY IT BREAKS DOWN ABOUT 200 YARDS DOWN THE ROAD.
naturally, I walk back to the Uhaul facility and tell them this. They say "SORRY, THIS IS NOT OUR PROBLEM(WTF!!!???!) YOU HAVE TO CALL ROADSIDE ASSITANCE"
I ask, since I just was given an obviously poorly repaired truck, how come you cant give me another truck"
SORRY, THOSE TRUCKS ARE FOR OUR OTHER CUSTOMERS(I AM GETTING SICK OF THIS FUCKING PHRASE) also a "mechanic" has to determine if the truck is repairable, if it is you have to wait until thie truck is repaired, if it isnt repairable, the mechanic makes the decision to give you antoher truck.
the mechanic is there and he wont even look me in the eye. But, he can only be "dispatched" by roadside assitance. I am in the fucking twilight zone, "THE TRUCK IS NOT OUR PROBLEM??!!?!?"
So, following their stupid protocol, I call roadside assitance and the lady on the other end (who I have to add, can barely speak english-not that there is anything wrong with that per se, but in this situation/job I believe it is imperative that the person be able to this)asks me where the truck is. I tell her "southbound on N.Watikins, 200 yards from the Uhaul facility"
she responds
"Sir, I need a more SPECIFIC location so the mechanic can find you"
I tell her, I cannot give her a MORE SPECIFIC location, in fact the "Mechanic" can see the truck from the parking lot"
Sir, I need a more specific location.
this goes back and forth about a dozen times to the point where i start yelling.
I am in the fucking Twilight Zone. A more specific location? this is fucking insane.
Also, the lady asks me 3 TIMES if the truck was loaded. I am being a smart ass and tell her "I dont live at the Uhaul facility, did you not listen to me when I said I only had the truck about 2 MINUTES before it broke down???"
Then I am told it will be about 4 to 6 hours before the Uhaul mechanic(who is sitting down behind the register jawing on a cell phone) can come look at the truck!!!!!" WTF#3873
I am wits end, I am enraged beyond belief. since I have paid for the Damage waiver, I am thinking about walking across the street to the liquor store and buying some everclear and fire-bombing this truck. I reconsider.
Finally after making the employees nervous with my enraged 6'5" 250 lb self, they FINALLY(the truck broke down 2 hours ago) fucking let me out of the contract and let me leave with no charges on my card. The truck is finally not MY RESPONSIBILTY, even though I only had the truck for about 2 minutes.
This was the most insane situation I have ever been in in all my life.

I go to Penske where I get a truck that only has 1500 miles on it, a powered liftgate(a godsend) and in which the cab looks like the cockpit of a 747. This thing was pimp.

Motherfuck a Uhaul.
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 4:48 pm

FUck both Ryder and Uhaul. The last time we got a Uhaul the dickhead was 15 minutes late to open his flybynight car sales/Uhaul rental shop and didn't even apologize. Then when we resisted buying the insurance he decided to dick us over even more, ignoring us when it was time to go get the truck and helping out this cutie pie emo couple who kissed his ass.

Then when we returned (we had literally driven about 2.5 miles TOTAL) and filled the tank up just in case he pulls a dick move...he says, "This tank is not where it needs to be. You need to put more gas in it." He was totally smirking.

I ended up calling Uhaul to complain about this jackass and you know what I got? $20 in Uhaul gift cards to use "on my next rental". HA!!!!

It would take me a year to tell my Ryder story but it was MUCH worse.
Sorry about your experience--Penske forever!!!!
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 4:50 pm

eric, sounds like you should have gone over the liquor store, bought some everclear and drank that shit. what a fiasco!
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 4:51 pm

Yeah, man. Sorry. If it makes you feel any better, it reads a hell of a lot funnier than it probably was for you.
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 4:58 pm

e
i thought you found someone on craigs list to move ya fur $200. i used 2 men and a truck and they showed up with 3 men and a truck and it ran me like $350
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 5:19 pm

Same thing happened to me at this UHAUL in May. I think it's their s.o.p. While I was broken down, some guy pulled over and told me the same thing happened to him with that same truck 2 days earlier. Call the better business bureau.
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 5:26 pm

Say hi to Daninja if still works there
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 5:26 pm

e
i thought you found someone on craigs list to move ya fur $200. i used 2 men and a truck and they showed up with 3 men and a truck and it ran me like $350

I just found dudes to load and unload on Craigs list, I had to get my own truck.

also it cost a ittle more because we were loading from two different locations
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 8:22 pm

u-haul stores are a haven of misery. I have never seen so many angry people in one place in my life.
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 9:26 pm

It's because they don't own the vehicles. All those places are franchises with an national fleet of vans. Since your local doesn't own the vehicle, they don't give a shit if it doesn't work, shows up, or you get what you reserved. Similar situation with car rental places, only they sometimes will lease a fleet from a dealer and they then get very persnickety about damage as they have to eat anything more than cosmetic when it comes time to trade up.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 7:57 am

U-Haul is a terrifying crap shoot. I was with Sherman during that ridiculous afternoon, and flew to DC to help Dunlap move back to Memphis, in which a U-Haul was invlolved. The Ford F-700 never broke 60 MPH, and we had hills. It exhaust farted, whined, and generally scared the living shit out of us the entire way. Fuck U-Haul, indeed.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 3:46 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

As stated, Ryder is no better so stay away from them as well. We almost went coasting off the Mississippi River bridge in St. Louis when our steering went out. Somehow we made it across and had enough in it to coast right up a ramp in a completely scary hood the likes of which need never be seen by two new wave looking girls returning to the South after "much time away".

That was only after two flat tires and other broken down parts that added 2 days to what should have been a max 3.5 day trip.

The St. Louis Ryder guy who picked us up was happy to know I was from Memphis though as "Al Green, a man of God, is from there" and then he proceeded to ask us if we had "found Jesus" and when we hemmed and hawed out of that one he says with a big grin, "Hey man, Jesus is cool, he don't cramp your style!"
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 4:15 pm

Similar situation with car rental places

Not with all car rental places. Enterprise owns their cars.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 4:17 pm

They lease too. Otherwise, it's a complete washout.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 4:58 pm

They lease too. Otherwise, it's a complete washout.

Who, Enterprise? Not true.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 5:06 pm

I stand corrected.

Most of the other places do lease because it's a fantastic overhead to own your own fleet because you have to constantly unload cars over 25K mileage. Usually, the only places that own their own are the wrent-a-wrecks. Franchises have to pay to be a franchise on top of sharing in the national fleet, or they have to make deals with local car dealerships. But back to the topic, no shared interest in resources makes for piss poor attitude towards customer service.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 5:37 pm

I worked at Enterprise for 3 years, and I learned WAY more that I ever wanted to know about the car rental business.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 5:59 pm

Oh, please upgrade me from my manual economy for $4 more per day. No? Oh, you're gonna give me that upgrade for free? Sweet. What's that about the insurance waiver? You don't think my car insurance covers rentals? Not my credit card either? Okay, I'll take it. No, I don't need to do a damage inspection, I trust you.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:11 pm

What does anyone know about Payless Car Rentals??? We are using them in Florida for a few days and they are insanely cheap...I think we got stuck with a KIA.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 6:15 pm

KIAs aren't bad, especially if you aren't paying more than 25 a day. They won't break down but feel like a toy.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 8:42 pm

KIAs aren't bad, especially if you aren't paying more than 25 a day. They won't break down but feel like a toy.

We had KIAs at Enterprise and I fucking hated them. Those little fuckers broke down a lot for us. They weren't as bad as some others, but still not good. I would have preferred a fleet of all Toyotas - they were the best.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:03 pm

I think we are actually paying like $19 a day for the lil bug-like KIA. We need it to get us some distances though so I am gonna be pissed off if that thing breaks down. We have to drive from Tampa up to the "Nature Coast" and then down and all around St. Pete on multiple days. Hmmmm. Maybe I will get the upgrade!
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:05 pm

2 dutch girls drove from miami to memphis for gonerfest... didn't realize how far it was! that's a trek! don't know if they got stuck in a kia...
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 9:38 pm

Maybe I will get the upgrade!

If you find something to complain about they will give you the free update (at least Enterprise would). If you want good complaint ideas, let me know. It's all about knowing how to play their game.

miami to memphis

Damn, they have me beat. I only drove about 10.5 hours.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 12:53 am

Almost the same thing happened to me about six months ago.
I rented a truck at the Union store. Drove to the house I was moving from. Loaded the truck with ALL my furniture, clothes, boxes, EVERYTHING!! I get in the truck to drive the half mile trip to my new house and the truck won't start.
So, I call the Uhaul store. Not their problem they say. Call roadside assistance. Turns out the roaside assistance number is somewhere in India (probably), and they don't know where the hell Central Gardens is, much less Memphis. Spent untold hours on the phone with these people until a mechanic comes out. He decides it's a dead battery and tells me that this happens all the time because bums sleep in the back of the trucks and leave the doors cracked, which runs the battery down. Ah, Memphis!
He won't let any of my friends try to jump off the truck and tells me I have to UNLOAD the truck and move the stuff back in to my old house and wait until the next day for another truck.
When I went to pay after everything was taken care of they had the nerve to try to charge me extra for having the truck over night.
I am not sure when I have been so angry.
Fuck a bunch of UHaul is right.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 1:45 am

While we're at it, can we say FUCK OUTSOURCING TO INDIA???? I have blown my top twice in a month because of that shit (Sallie Mae and United Airlines). You would think it is eventually so bad for business that it impacts the bottom line they are so obviously desperate to save.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 6:16 am

U-Haul had our Amanda all signed up to rent her a trailer to pull her stuff up to New York. At the last minute, they said they wouldn't because she drives a Ford Explorer and they had a tire issue two million years ago. It is now U-Haul's policy to not lease trailers to those who own vehicles that were the scapegoats of Firestone tire problems.
Posted: Oct 5, 2006 11:39 pm

While we're at it, can we say FUCK OUTSOURCING TO INDIA????

You fucking said it!!!

Typical call to Dell service line:" Rip dip dip dip dip. Werlcome to dell. May I please have yur service number"?

That's all I can ever understand. I was so pissed off about them not adding my dvd burner, as requested before shipping, that I gave up on it after an hour and a half on the phone. I could not understand what was going on. I expected Alan Funt to jump out and tell me I was on some candid camera and people were geting their jollies watching me scream and punch myself in the head.

So FUCK UHAUL and DELL!!!
Posted: Oct 6, 2006 1:49 am

Ha! I had the same exact experience with Dell when mine started dying a slow, miserable death 2 years into its existence.

I recently had to make reservations on United for January for us and our cats to fly in the cabin. OhmyGAWD. I had vouchers for the tix and I also needed to find out what dimensions for the pet carriers were the United limits to fit under the seats. These Indians had no idea what I was saying if it took them off the most basic script and they would put me on hold every 3 minutes to probably ask the 23 year old American supervisor what to do and then come back and give me some obviously incorrect answer, i.e. "Dee carriers rrrr 80 inchiz by 78 inchiz maam." I ended up going out to the airport and waiting in line for an hour just to deal with a native english speaker.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 2:45 pm

I once drove one of those crappy U-Haul trucks from Birmingham, Alabama to Jackson, Mississippi. Bad brakes, very poor stearing (I could move the steering wheel back and forth and the truck would go down the road.) It was pouring down rain too. That drive sucked and would never do it again.

I would of called the rental office, and whne they told me to call "Roadside assistance", I would say FOR THEM to call roadside assistance. I am the customer. The truck you gave me should be in working order, period.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®