Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Damn.....Harry Nicholas dead
Posted: Sep 29, 2006 7:32 pm

Got hit by a car....in the paper today. Sorry if this has already been posted....I been out of the loop for a few days.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/article/0,2845,MCA_25340_502 9068,00.html

Owner of Harry's Detour killed by car
A.J. Wolfe/The Commercial Appeal

Beloved restaurateur Harry Nicholas overcame adversity to celebrate his comeback in the local eatery scene.

Story Tools
E-mail this story | Print

By Pamela Perkins
Contact
September 29, 2006
Harry Nicholas was a beloved restaurateur whose life was as adventurous and his heart as warm as the fare at his establishments.
Mr. Nicholas, chef and co-owner of Harry's Detour, was struck by a car late Saturday and died early Thursday at the Regional Medical Center at Memphis. He was 54.

Memorial services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Wilson Chapel at Christ United Methodist Church. Memorial Park Funeral Home has charge.
The accident is under investigation, said Memphis traffic Maj. Ray Hopkins.

But preliminary findings indicate Mr. Nicholas was walking across Poplar near Auburndale when he was struck by an eastbound 1993 Subaru. Witnesses told police that the area was dimly lit. No one has been charged.

Mr. Nicholas is known for the unusual but harmonious concoctions at his restaurants. He called his style "American eclectic," influenced by many of the 70 restaurants he worked at during his travels across the nation.

His dishes reflected his personality, said restaurant co-owner and friend Charles Gross.

"Harry was truly creative. You know how they say when Mozart used to write music, it was all done in his head? ... When Harry would create a recipe it was the same way. There wasn't any trial and error. When it was done in his head it was done," Gross said.

He battled alcoholism and an arthritic disorder from which he recovered before opening Harry's On Teur in 1989. It was in business for about six years.

In March 1998, he pleaded guilty to aggravated assault for stabbing a neighbor during an altercation a couple of years earlier. He ran out of money and spent 16 months in jail, where he went through a drug and alcohol rehabilitation program.

"You can't really regret that stuff 'cause it all had to get you to where you are," Mr. Nicholas once told The Commercial Appeal. "I think God has a plan for all of us."

He was released in September 1999 and joined a Bible study group the next day. And he made a comeback.

He opened Harry's Detour on Cooper in 2001 to phenomenal success and another Harry's Detour on South Main in 2002.

Friends and family said they will miss his tender heart. "From childhood, he just had a special place for people in need, the innocent," said his brother Martin Nicholas of Sugarland, Texas.

Mr. Nicholas also leaves two sisters, Joan Nicholas of Memphis and Nancy Howell of Pascagoula, Miss.

The family requests that any memorials be sent to the Church Health Center or a charity of the donor's choice.
Posted: Sep 29, 2006 7:39 pm

Now that guy knew how to make good sammich'. RIP.
Posted: Sep 29, 2006 8:01 pm

Damn. Damn. Damn.

My dad is going to really freak. They were friends/AA buddies.
Posted: Sep 29, 2006 9:18 pm

that really sucks. R.I.P., Harry.
Posted: Sep 30, 2006 2:51 am

Yeah we all came across the article quite by accident today at work. We were shocked. To have struggled so much and get struck down when he can finally enjoy himself and what he loved.
Posted: Sep 30, 2006 2:19 pm

That sucks. Pedestrians in Memphis must always be on guard. In fact, I've been wanting to name my new band "SUV Killers" because I've nearly had several wrecks when they block my view in traffic. Sorry Harry.
Posted: Sep 30, 2006 6:10 pm

What really sucks with the SUV Killers is when some 5'2" housewivery is driving them and she can barely see out the windows...and she is chatting away on her cell. This also goes for the contractors in their Ford 350s chatting away on their cells, looking for addresses and being totally oblivious to any and all others.
Posted: Sep 30, 2006 10:31 pm

Let's not forget moron peds who don't realize that slow moving traffic, in fact, moving.
Sorry - went to the UM/UT tailgate last night. When I was leaving this morning I was amazed at how many people walked into a traffic jam, evidently assuming that the cars weren't moving at all.
Posted: Sep 30, 2006 11:46 pm

Yeah, that is indeed annoying. Believe me, I can go on about unaware peds or arrogant cyclists all day long...but in the end, cars are worse.
Posted: Oct 1, 2006 3:19 pm

Man, that is such a shame.
Harry was always so damn cool to me.

Godspeed, Harry!
Posted: Oct 1, 2006 9:28 pm

What were the details of the accident?
Posted: Feb 10, 2017 6:29 am

Reading this after doing a search to see whatever happened to////Sad Sad ending! Our loss!

Just thinking og Harry and Harry's Detour that was on Madison. I always thought he use "On Teur" and "Deteur" as titles using a play on spelling.

He used to have private limited dining and fix a full course meal. I think he lost the first restaurant and the owner (i guess partner) brought in another chef. Harry was so talented, no one could cook like him.
Posted: Feb 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Yeah, sad. Sherman and I were getting Shangri-la going when Harry first got his spot on Madison going... he was wild-eyed but a hell of a cook. RIP.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®