Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Booing the mayor is racist.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 2:07 pm

Yep.. thats what he thinks.

http://www.wreg.com/global/story.asp?s=5442097
(granted, the story is from over-dramatic news correspondent Mike Matthews).

You can already see how he's going to spin this next mayoral race if chumney runs.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:53 pm

"African Americans, quite frankly, looked at what happened with disdain,"

Like "they" give a shit about his ass either.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 4:27 pm

It's probably not racist, but it was definitely done in bad taste and at the wrong place and time.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 4:52 pm

I didn't see it, but from what I have read, this man does not deserve the minimum of respect. I believe his actions have deserved the disdain in this case.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 5:15 pm

Hollywood Herenton doesn't give two shits about you or yer "racist" ass.
Bad taste? Wrong place wrong time? I think not.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 5:18 pm

It's probably not racist, but it was definitely done in bad taste and at the wrong place and time.

It wasn't a funeral. He was presenting the key to the city to a fucking pop star.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 5:35 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

You know what is in bad taste? A MAYOR boxing Joe Frazier. In 2006. That he is even spending time training for this debacle while Memphis continues to fall apart in so many ways is a fucking shame and he deserves to be publically humilitated on national television in any way possible.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 6:06 pm

Carol Chumney is Jon Benet Ramsey. And the President of the United States!
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 7:17 pm

I boo the President every day.
I sure do hate them honkeys.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 9:09 pm

but it was definitely done in bad taste and at the wrong place and time.
I totally agree with Uptight white (never thought I would say that) that it was in bad taste, and it wasn't the time or place for it. I think it makes Memphians seem like the audience from the Jerry Springer show. What was supposed to be positive publicity for the city turned into an embarrassment...the audience stooped to the level of the politicians.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 9:35 pm

i can see how a black man getting booed by a bunch of white folks would take that as racist. however he isnt just any black man. he needs to understand that.he's a public official.

ever watched "question time" where tony blair gets grilled by the house of commons? he gets booed all the time on international television and he's the fuckin prime minister.

Carol Chumney is Jon Benet Ramsey
it's true.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 9:38 pm

grilled by the house of commons

I used to love to watch Parliament. Looked like a wrestling match would break out any minute.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 10:05 pm

I'm sure all of you who think booing Mayor Herenton was inappropriate would think it's doubly bad for the rooty-poot president of a banana republic to call the POTUS a "devil" and an "alcoholic" in front of a bunch of blacks, right?
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 10:23 pm

I used to love to watch Parliament

i saw them at memphis in may years ago. they didnt bring the mothership so i was disappointed. fishbone opened. skynard was playing at the same time i think.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 11:49 pm

I think not[i][i]
[/i][/i]
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 11:50 pm

why ya movin?
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 11:51 pm

caus I cant type!
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 12:23 am

i don't think booing mayor herenton is inappropriate, nor do i think that hugo chavez is a turd for saying the president is the devil.

who cares. freedom of speech. the president does suck. although chavez saying it is kinda like the pot calling the kettle black, but he can say whatever he wants. our president calls other world leaders names on a pretty normal basis himself, usually with no real validity to what he says. so fuck him.

i just am waiting for the u.s. to invade venezuela. i somehow think that situation would be nothing short of nightmarish. we'd get fucked on that one and nuclear war would ensue. ww3, on the forreal.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 12:43 am

You know what is in bad taste? A MAYOR boxing Joe Frazier. In 2006.

AMEN!!! I hate that Memphis was shown on national TV in a bad light. But, you know what? That jerk needs more booing. His ego is telling him it's racist. Because by gawd he's a great mayor.... yeah right.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 1:37 am

Maybe my opinion is rooted in being in the Peoples Republic of Portland for the last almost 7 years and I didn't see the actual incident, but I just don't see what happened as reflecting badly on Memphis. It should tell people outside of Memphis that there is a REAL problem. I am actually proud to hear that people were not all hung up on being Gracious as Usual. The consituents of Memphis think he is a joke and he needs to feel it. His ego is so massive the only way he ever will is when he is publicly shamed in front of an audience he feels he doesn't control.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 5:05 am

there is a real problem. the bigger problem is that no one goes out and votes against him in the city elections. if that was the case, he probably wouldn't be mayor anymore. there are just too many lazy ass people in the actual city limits who don't go out and vote against him. and there are actually no candidates worth a shit to endorse anymore either. if we had a decent candidate to pick from and no fear of repercussions from the remaining sector of his cronies who would still be in office as well, maybe things would change. he has too much of almost a boss crump type of hold on so many of the members of government around here, including mlg&w.

i don't know if anything would happen good for the city until we would have year after year after year of mayors trying to do something good for the city. but good luck with that, memphis seems to be a hotbed of corruption on so many levels. we're about to be in a lot of shit owing money back to fed cuz of that stupid parking garage b.s. with the grizz. to the tune of 6.3 million buckos. so our city is gonna go for broke on that stupid forum that was just a redundancy in space anyway. we already had plenty enough arena space anyway and their stupid contract situation where there is a no compete clause with any of the grizz games has the other venues essentially rendered useless and all venues outside of the city are benefitting instead, shooting memphis in the foot.

this city makes my head hurt sometimes when it comes to use of public and federal funds. what the city administration currently deems as important should be subject of public debate, but there are too few of people asking any questions or making herenton responsible for his misuse and misdirection of money.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 5:21 am

It should tell people outside of Memphis that there is a REAL problem.

Whats the point of telling people outside that there is a real problem? Dissuading further national promotional events? ..all the citizens know there is a problem...and we're the only ones who can do anything about it.

Maybe I'm just old and backwards, but I don't see the benefit of airing dirty laundry to the world
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 5:24 am

actually I know I am old and backwards... I think booing is always wrong
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 6:49 am

How can the news be so sure those people weren't booing Justin Timberlake too? I see him as a big embarassment to Memphis too.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 3:08 pm

ustin Timberlake too? I see him as a big embarassment to Memphis too.

c'mon man. he's bringing sexy back. and stax too.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 5:18 pm

Maybe I'm just old and backwards, but I don't see the benefit of airing dirty laundry to the world

Aw, you are just polite, nothing wrong with that. I'd never boo the guy in that situation either, but it doesn't make Memphis as a city "look bad". It really doesn't. I guess it would have been just as or more effective for the entire audience to go completely silent too. Booing a mayor on a morning show is not going to dissuade more national events from coming to Memphis. In fact, people are likely not even thinking about it outside of Memphis at this point anyway.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 6:46 pm

I was yelling Boo-urns.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 8:19 pm

I would have been booing Timberlake....Herrington just deserves a crowd of people giving him the finger, and maybe a big bag of flaming dogshit aimed towards his Pumpkin sized head.
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 11:48 pm

actually I know I am old and backwards... I think booing is always wrong

Not always. I was booing Tommy Lee last year at the Motley Crue show when he was strapped to a wire and flying back and forth above the stage looking like a total faggot while playing some long, drawn out solo drum set. On bongos, no less!
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 2:09 am

booing the bongos?
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 3:56 am

you know what's fucked up? when your best friend from college that you haven't hung out with in 4 years can't come visit you b/c her boyfriend is a fucking racist. THAT's what's fucked up.
Posted: Sep 25, 2006 3:41 pm

I totally agree with Uptight white (never thought I would say that) that it was in bad taste, and it wasn't the time or place for it. I think it makes Memphians seem like the audience from the Jerry Springer show. What was supposed to be positive publicity for the city turned into an embarrassment...the audience stooped to the level of the politicians.

I don't think its in bad taste at all. I am glad the citizens did something rather than just being nice. Last I checked we pay his salary, if we are not happy with his performance, let the fucker know. He's a friggin crackhead. If anyone is embarrassed it should be Hollywood Herenton.
And uhhh, Hemant, the audience did not stoop to the level of politicians. Booing is hardly political. And let's not lump ALL politicians in here. There are some good ones....are there?
Springer was a mayor.
Posted: Oct 1, 2006 6:27 pm

Don't you guys have any OTHER black people that might want to be mayor?
Posted: Oct 1, 2006 9:19 pm

Screw the mayor, he was conspicuously silent when Ophelia got caught subverting the election process (which is the oldest trick in the book:
take a poll, figure how much you'll lose by, get names off headstones,= the dead matter more than the living). What? You guys didn't know that? Herenton is in because the dead matter more than the living, doesn't matter how many of you vote, there are always more dead than living.
What's pathetic is that no one caught that SOONER.Let's see shacked up, knocked up woman, fessed up, boxin Frazier, 2nd highest violent crime rate in the US(last years figures, this years are double, see where that puts us).
I could care less about any remark made at anytime about Big Willy the Pimp or the whole "pimp circus" racist or not, those politicos count because they forced themselves on you. makes my butt hurt just thinking about it.
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 3:55 pm

you forgot "cracksmoker"
it is common knowledge, our mayor was in rehab at a time when his city needed him the most: Hurricane Elvis
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 4:02 pm

our mayor was in rehab when his city needed him the most: Hurricane Elvis

I thought I remembered reading he was in Little Rock for some kind of fund raiser at the time?
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 4:03 pm

But if there are juicy details of rehab, please, deliver the goods!
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 4:51 pm

yeah, fundraiser in little rock is what they wanted you to believe.
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 4:52 pm

i don't know which is lamer: rehab or oh, I've committed to this fund raiser out of state. Ya'll clear the trees without me.
Posted: Oct 2, 2006 4:55 pm

I distinctly remember a quote somewhere along the lines of "I got my cellphone, they can call me if they need something."
Posted: Oct 3, 2006 8:04 pm

"I got my cellphone, they can call me if they need something."

Sounds like my typical "Jet out of work an hour early" excuse.
Posted: Oct 4, 2006 1:41 am

King Willie explains why there is so much animosity toward him:

"I'm 6 feet 6 -- tall, dark and handsome. I intimidate some of these people."
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®