Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Memphis 1992 - Who Are You?
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 8:25 pm

Posted: Sep 13, 2006 8:34 pm

Holy fuck!
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 8:54 pm

WHAT??????

I cannot wait to get home to get audio on this.

"Katherine Greenwood 18 Years Old" AWWWW!
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 8:56 pm

How embarrasing..
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 8:57 pm

Taintskins!
Buddy!
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 9:17 pm

Was that Myron Lowery doing the interview/report?
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 9:17 pm

"what are you gonna do about jesus?"
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 9:22 pm

buncha hippies!!!!
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 9:27 pm

gaaa, I remember what a scandal this caused back in the day! can't believe it was as recent as '92, we look like babies! love how the punk and hippie crap is all mixed up -- and did the news have to pay for co-opting the who?
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 9:29 pm

I ordered a cheese quesadilla from the Babylon in '92 and they still haven't made it yet.

love how the punk and hippie crap is all mixed up

We're all in this together, man...

I believe thats actual footage of the Memphis Creep himself!
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 9:34 pm

"grow out of it"?
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 9:35 pm

"former punk rocker"
"former punk rocker"
"former punk rocker"

oh man!
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 9:38 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

That was the Babylon Cafe scene for most of that, but the hippie vibe was so prominent that they seamlessly cut to 60's Woodstock footage. Most punks are just hippies in a leather jackets, anyway. GISM was right. That is the most normal, regular guy looking I've ever seen Angerhead in that report.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 10:41 pm

I saw the news cameras setting up at the Babylon Cafe, and went straight to the beer store. I ain't gonna be on no goddamn news if I can help it. That shit was stupid!
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 10:54 pm

this is funny for someone NOT from Memphis to see. you guys really do look like babies!!!! i like how they made it seem like punk was more of an epidemic than anything, bringing in the shrinks and shit. ha! that's great. thanks for sharing.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 10:58 pm

Posted: Sep 13, 2006 11:03 pm

Makes my stomach churn! I'm glad Seessel's bought that property!
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 11:06 pm

"they have no life, they have no future"
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 11:07 pm

WHERE did Brent get that awful t shirt???

And I cannot believe how hippified the scene was then...I don't remember it that way, but I was in Oakland then.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 11:17 pm

That had a little to do with my bad attitude (aside from the mass amounts of wiskey). Liberals make me kinda upset because they get caught up in this groupthink bullshit and don't even care because they ARE the "counter culture". Hippies always bothered me .
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 12:06 am

That dude from Mid South Hospital was a hack if I have EVER seen one! I can't believe this guy was a credentialed therapist...or was he? See the rehab thread for stories about this place.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 12:37 am

I ordered a cheese quesadilla from the Babylon in '92 and they still haven't made it yet.

Sherm, that is really goddamn funny! Leila Leinberg musta been workin.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 12:52 am

Wow. That was some fucked up shit.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 1:13 am | Edited by: eric o

my, that man has a creepy little ponytail.

actually 2 out of the 3 creeps i was thinking about for the M.C. are in that video!

[poor phantom surfers being thrust into the middle of all that hippie punk action!]
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 1:29 am

The highlight of this whole video is Brent's meat-free mullet.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 1:30 am

or Brent's voice. he sounds 13. it's awesome.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:01 am

He looks like a pretty girl too--I had no idea he ever looked so beeyoutiful!!!!
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 3:39 am

He IS a 13 year old girl! And he wore that rediculus shirt EVERYDAY!

Brent rules! The "scene" really wasn't so hippified, they just decided to shoot at babylon cafe that day. They wanted to come to the Man With Gun house but our lawyers advised against it....
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:43 am

...and just last night I was reminiscing to Katherine about the time Naropa swung around on that ceiling fan @ Old Zinnies kicking yuppies/frat boys in the head.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:44 am

I am gonna have to clown my roommate for wearin' a beret!
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:49 am

You room with Todd?
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:03 am

This makes me glad that Im not 3 years older...
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:11 am

Buddy would have loooooovvved you back then. Regardless of age.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:12 am

are you talkin about the kangol? cause they never sent me mine for dropping out of the punk scene. i feel ripped off.
buddy douglas is on their saying he knows hundreds of kids.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:15 am

Indeed. Feel I need to point out again his "business partner" was hit by a car walking across the street. I point this out for no good reason.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:18 am

i think if buddy and dee had joined forces, thered still be a libertyland.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:37 am

wouldn't be surprised if there aren't still bodies UNDER liberty-land.
y'know buddy d was working at the pawn shoppe across the street...
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:56 am

Holy shit that is great.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 6:23 am

are you talkin about the kangol? cause they never sent me mine for dropping out of the punk scene. i feel ripped off.

no, I know what a kangol is....
bass player for taintskins.....
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 6:37 am

you know, as silly as those pieces were and as silly it was all made out to be, that was probably the very last era that punk/hardcore/whatever was seen as a subculture or a deviance...the fact that they even had to consult(as dipshit as they were) therapists and stuff to "explain" it...it was still seen as a kind of threat to "normal" folks...but in 2006 hippies are still a menace to taste everywhere

they should have gone to the pink house, that would have been a little too real for TV5, but I guess 92 was a few months too late for that anyway
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 7:54 am

I remember going to Lollapalooza '93 in Nashville and walking by Buddy's jewelry table. I had on a Simpletones t-shirt, which was my free coupon for some flirtation disguised as "I'm from Memphis, too!!" You know, if you're going to be a perv, try not to look exactly like the common idea of a perv.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 2:33 pm

a dvd issue of this would be great, with commentary from all the participants, perhaps including joe birch.

robt gardner wearing a tie looks totally outta place!

crazed jessie playing bongos! awesome!

is that cap-wearin' jared shrinking into the background at the start of the first episode? at a fetchin bones show????

hilarious.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 3:28 pm

life was hard in the vegan sub-group.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 3:31 pm

promoting violence and all.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 4:02 pm

Fetchin Bones!!! I was trying my damnedest to remember that bands name. All I could think of was BBQ Killers, but I think they were too "cool" to ever look like that idiot.

And did anyone else catch that fake "catch" in Buddy's throat, like the predicament of all these sad, "bored" kids was going to break him up?
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:36 pm

This city is infested with meat-eating drug users.

Time for some RAID!!!

*Typo. 1991 not 1999.*
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 5:39 pm

that was awesome!!! Its so weird to watch that while wearing a suit in a law office.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 6:10 pm

bonus points for whomever can dig up the Commercial Appeal article about the Antenna entitled "The Attitude Zone."

I can not wait to get this w. audio.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 7:24 pm

1999? That date on the Raid vid has got to be wrong. Antenna was long gone by 1999. Am I wrong?
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 7:53 pm | Edited by: Vinyl Ritchie

1999? That date on the Raid vid has got to be wrong. Antenna was long gone by 1999. Am I wrong?

No, youre not wrong, it had be gone for about 5 years(?) I though it closed in 94.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 8:04 pm

it closed in '94. by '95 martin, the soundman, re-opened it as "the void." then, in '96 chris walker tried to re-open as either the antenna (again) or maybe it was even called barristers east or something. also, by '99 most of raid were on drugs.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 8:06 pm

Is Andy Kampora still bible-thumping????
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 8:39 pm

Did RAID do a reunion or somethin in 99? I saw Steve Lovit in NYC a few months ago and we had beers and laughed about the olden days but he did not mention this show....
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 8:41 pm

Steve Lovit

I still remember the days of Steve walking around the neighborhood in a black headband with hot pink "MOTLEY CRUE" embazoned on the front...
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 8:42 pm

That would have been 5th or 6th grade...
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 9:06 pm

also, by '99 most of raid were on drugs.

yeah, by '93 Steve Lovit turned into a cigar chompin' wiggerese speakin' hip hop dude-all house of pain style.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 9:23 pm

Posted: Sep 14, 2006 9:36 pm

wow, Mikey, it looks like the cast of Decline of Western Civilization Part II vomited their logos all over your back!

I cracked up when Steve Lovett turned into a wigger/burn out. remembe when Youth of Today turned into Krishnas, and they brought the Hare Krishna crew to town?

whatever happened to Lee, the stinkiest gutter punk of em all?
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 10:44 pm

Lee lives in Ashville N.C. along with alot of other people YOU know,along with my favorite Joey Boren, and dtrain's favorite Cameron Henson.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 10:45 pm

lee kilo lives in the northwest now. so does steve lovett, actually. the latter is a father of three and runs a successful non-profit environmental organization.

the funny thing about that segment is that almost all of the kids interviewed are from upper middle class, if not upper class, suburban families.

ray cappo from youth of today did become a krishna and started a terrible band called shelter(which i listened to at the time, i was young).he brought that krishna crew to town and they stayed at raid's bass players apt. on southern by the u of m. they chanted, played finger cymbals, burned incense, made good food and generally tried to talk disenfranchised young straight edge kids into following them. weird.

where is jay jay now? remember faust? that band also featured dj jason sims and justin reimert(?) from breaking point.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 10:45 pm | Edited by: jbh

my bad. jeff gunn has the more recent info on lee.

hey jeff, did you see joey here about three weeks ago? i saw him at ike's and he said he wouldn't be staying long.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 11:01 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Is Andy Kampora still bible-thumping????

I don't know about Andy, but Matt was involved with Christian camps all around the world in the late 90's. I lost touch with him, but I don't think Christianity was a phase for the Camporas. It was a life-changing experience for them. They had a pretty good church supply biz going on around the time of this interview.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 11:45 pm

Yes I saw him.He drank scotch, and discussed the furnature making craft. I drank bourbon, and listened.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 11:52 pm

Hey dtrain, that looks like my biology folder from 7th grade.
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 11:53 pm

Except with much better taste.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 1:59 am

Thank you Jeff! However, thats not really my back....
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 2:53 am

I didn't know Lee had gone back to Asheville. That is quite the scene there now. Much preferable for him than out here I am sure. He was really disgusted with it out here last I saw him.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 3:22 am

They had a great seitan reuben at the Babylon.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 5:58 am

That backtat picture was my main MySpace pic for a while, until I get sick of idiots messaging me....."You didn't really do that, did you?"

Yeah, I did that. That's me.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 6:14 am

where is jay jay now? r

my bf ran into justin not too long ago and he said that this is what jay jay was doing in florida:

http://www.kultovazazel.com

http://www.myspace.com/kultovazazel
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 6:27 am

I could be wrong, but I want to say I remember hearing Jay Jay went down to FL with Justin Reimer, and never came back. I'll ask Justin.
Posted: Sep 15, 2006 7:00 am

I wish I was still young and stupid.
Or maybe not.
Either way it was fun.
And now we can laugh.
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 9:26 pm

ray cappo from youth of today did become a krishna and started a terrible band called shelter

i thought shelter eventually fell out with raid after a streetfight over the krishnas eating dairy.
steve told me this but may have been messing with me like he used to do.
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 5:03 am

I only went to babylon once. don't remeber anything about it but stevan lazich pointing out the Salvador Dali tarot cards he wanted beneath a glass case.

i remember seeing like 1 or 2 of these when they aired but couldnt stay up that late to see the others. school night. ha!

those show flyers are great. More!More!
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 5:23 pm

I can still hear Buddy lisping the words "Diecast System"
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 7:02 pm

Now somebody needs to post Mike Federline calling Kurt Loder "Kurt Lode in his Pants" on Youtube.
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 10:16 pm

This city is infested with meat-eating drug users.

Time for some RAID!!!

*Typo. 1991 not 1999.*
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 11:43 am

dear lord, the 90's...

"LSD is frowned upon..."
pussies, that was the 90's for me!
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Whoah, thanks for that Nation of Shemp thing. I had forgotten I was in one of the two most promising young bands in Memphis ... according to Buddy.
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 6:52 pm

The reporter called it 'the lifestyle' -- hahahaha!

That punk/hippy exterior was just a cover for being hardcore swingers!
Posted: Sep 18, 2006 8:14 pm

Wow! Die Caste System...haven't heard that name in A LONG time...
The bio is halarious! Flick Flack Bick Back..Go to Hell I-Raq!
Posted: Sep 19, 2006 7:56 am | Edited by: peepstemple

average gas price in 1992 about $1.30
average price for punk rock show $5.00

average gas price in 2006 about $$2.60
average price for punk rock show $5.00
Posted: Sep 19, 2006 3:45 pm

getting head on the mezzanine @ Barristers...priceless.
Posted: Sep 19, 2006 8:31 pm

SEXY TIME!
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 4:01 am

nation of sheep- homeless benefit show - saturday feb. 16, 1991

warehouse off of broad street

die caste system
fuct
roy food
(featuring roy berry on drums w/ empty 12 pack box on his head)
raid
t'aint skins
pure blood
threshold of pain
stank buhg
headsmen
pause

jp goodwin was still punk rock. not hardline.

lots of violence ensued.
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 4:36 am

WORD!
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 6:12 pm

Pretty sure he went hardline before '92.

"Throw another bottle in front of that horse, JP!"
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 7:46 pm | Edited by: jbh

saturday feb. 16, 1991
and who cares, right?
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 7:50 pm

Yeah, you right.
Posted: Jan 27, 2007 4:09 am

well this is an old thread, but it's somewhat new to me....anyway, i'm trying to find old antenna friends. email me directly if you get around to reading this. -BRYAN TILLERY subalpine2000@yahoo.com
and if you're bored, there are some old pics here:
URL
Posted: Jan 27, 2007 7:45 pm

Stupid Bullshit! No wonder I resented going to Rock shows back then. I didn't know I hated liberals yet. Now I try to ignore them by drinking and tuning them out.
Posted: Jan 27, 2007 11:10 pm

lots of violence ensued.
i believe you started it miss linda.
Posted: Jan 28, 2007 1:53 am

Man, that's what all the Lawrence/KC bands looked/sounded like when I was in HS. No wonder why Screeching Weasel was such an attractive alternative. *shudder*

Was that one band at the end (after the Jesus guy) singing about "jelly"???
Fuck that nonsense. Everyone knows good punk songs are about Beluga whales, pelicans and condors.
Posted: Jan 28, 2007 8:17 pm

Eat That Rat, Ape Man Hop,& Weasel Face.
Posted: Jan 28, 2007 8:18 pm

SLUG!
Posted: Jan 28, 2007 8:24 pm

Even better.Republicans know how to Rock-N-Roll.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 3:54 am

I can't remember if I saw JB or JP get cracked over the head with a beer bottle in front of the Antenna.

I do know JB was the first boy I ever had in my bedroom when I was in 7th grade....
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 3:57 am

JP had a bottle cracked over his head. He was also "pile-drived" on a Tennis Court in G-town. His head split right down the mohawk.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 3:57 am

pile-driven?
whatever.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 3:58 am

Looked like it hurt. A lot.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 3:41 pm

ouch
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 4:01 pm

so proud of my forefathers
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 6:27 pm

so i was just on the wikiepdia page for Raid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_(band)

and they refer to One Way as \"christian metalcore\" -- i would never have considered them metalcore but they were a \'christian\' band? i didnt notice

(i lived in arkansas but went to antenna shows from 86-90 - then moved to the bay area like most the other pUnX in little rock)
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 7:12 pm

if my comrades and I were born 15 years earlier none of you would be here today, as natural selection dictates that we probably would have eaten you long ago, or driven you into hiding. you're all a valuable part of memphis' current ecosystem, but rest assured that yours was the last generation in which the babylon cafes and jay jays* of memphis' alternative youth culture would be allowed to proliferate or reach adulthood, spawn the java cabanas of today, or turn in to old creeps. Obviously not everything and everyone documented in this video is around today, but their legacy is felt. Never again! I've seen what life was like before me and I've been scared into doing whatever it takes to maintain order. Today's message of love will come not with glazed over smiling faces, open arms and drum circles, but with fire, crippling social anxiety, broken condoms, obsessive compulsiveness and drum circles.

*"jay jay" used here as a thing rather than a specific person, as I have never met "jay jay."
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 8:06 pm

the real question is will you and your comrades still be around in 15 years.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 8:15 pm

if we're not we're taking the whole galaxy with us
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 8:27 pm

i'd give us 15 weeks at least

miracles happen
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 8:10 pm

Stupid Hippies.
Posted: Feb 5, 2007 9:55 pm

Today's message of love will come not with glazed over smiling faces, open arms and drum circles, but with fire, crippling social anxiety, broken condoms, obsessive compulsiveness and drum circles.

Every once in a while I kinda wish I was 23 again.
Most days I don't, though.
Posted: Feb 6, 2007 1:20 am

I can't remember if I saw JB or JP get cracked over the head with a beer bottle in front of the Antenna.

i didn't get cracked w/ a beer bottle, the pavement got cracked w/ my head. i left in an ambulance.

I do know JB was the first boy I ever had in my bedroom when I was in 7th grade....

i was drinking ALOT during that time. and money was involved.
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 5:35 pm

Yeah, and you still owe me 82.50
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 8:08 pm

i told you, i don't carry change.
Posted: Feb 7, 2007 8:51 pm

you had a roll of dimes that night
Posted: Feb 8, 2007 1:31 am

A roll of DIMES! Whoo-Hoo!
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 1:27 am

Grow out of it... really??? have yall grown out of it yet????
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 8:24 am

Kol's going to spearhead a reissue project based on forgotten Memphis tunes from '88 - '05. I hope, at least. Cassette only.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 8:03 pm

Can I do a cover of "Manchild" by AngerHead?
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 4:44 pm

Can I do a cover of "fuck you, you stupid faggots. fuck you!" by Jeffrey Ames Gunn?

HEE=HAWW!
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 4:57 pm

i would like to do a spoken word piece, entitled "next time i go to the fair in a big group, i'm goin by mySELF."
also, by jeffrey aimes gunn.
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 10:09 pm

OH my god...I can't believe that was memphis...Yikes. Those hippies made everything memphis just look really bad for a minute. Fuck, that was some melting pot o piss. I think I saw Jack Stands like 4 times.

Hee-Haw
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 10:13 pm

Fuckin tree huggers....
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 10:50 pm

I think I saw Jack Stands like 4 times.

You did not, sir!
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 5:50 am

K-9 Arts doing that same riff over and over and over while whirling around......
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 8:52 am | Edited by: willmcelroy

Every once in a while I kinda wish I was 23 again.
Most days I don't, though.

I'm not even 21 yet. the death march has just begun.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®