Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / the woodruff-fontaine house.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 11:31 pm

i got an internship at the woodruff-fontaine house in victorian village at 680 adams. currently, it is the only house open for tours since the mallory-neely and mageveny house are closed to the public.

built in 1871, the woodruff-fontaine house is a prime example of french victorian architecture and design. the house is filled with donated victorian era furniture and paintings, as well as many examples of clothing from the time, changed out each season. coming up in a couple of months, the house will be changed over to celebrate the holiday season.

it is said that one area of the house is haunted by the weeping ghost of mollie woodruff, whose husband perished in the house due to illness incurred during a boating trip and whose 2 infants died soon after birth. several people have experienced strange occurences in this area of the house, ranging from hearing weeping to feeling a presence in the room to a feeling a chill to actually seeing a figure wandering.

i am working both in the giftshop and as a docent. i am giving my first tour this friday! :) it's $10 per adult, $8 per student, $6 per senior citizen, and free for children under 6.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 11:40 pm

congratulations! i've been meaning to go down there. that's an intersting part of the city.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:48 am

way to go, Elle! Back in olden times I cut the grass at designer Eldridge's Wright's home across the street. We were featured in Southern Living. Ha-ha! Do you get to dress in period costume when you give the tours? That would be fun. Sounds like a fun job. On our store's MySpace page, one of our friends is all about haunted houses and buildings in Memphis. If you want I could introduce you. They probably have lots of info on the legends of the house. Do you know why the other two houses no longer open to the public?
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 3:47 am

thanks!

no, i don't get to dress in period costume, but i do get to help with changing of the exhibits and decorating, which will be really neat.

i think i know who you're talking about with the haunted memphis page. caryn, right? i should probably ask her some questions to see if she has any info, 'cause that would be neat.

the other two houses just don't have the funding and the city owns the property they're on. same with the WF house, and their lease is coming up in 2009. it's really difficult anymore to get the city itself to help out with it. they seem rather disinterested in it. the state doesn't really have a lot of money to put into it either. it's mostly done through very nice people who want to preserve culture in this city. it's sad that the mageveny and mallory-neely houses are no longer open to the public. they're pretty amazing as well. i was fortunate enough to get to view all of the houses when i was quite younger, but would love to see them again.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:21 pm

I love those places, but all i see is Charles Addams cartoons. i want Uncle Fester to be out on the roof every time i pass victorian village.
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 5:38 pm

hahahah!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®