Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Is there a Statute of Limitation on Traffic Tickets in TN?
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 7:15 pm

I got one for going down the wrong way of a one way street. It was complete & total bullshit because I was pulling a trailor and had no other way of turning around except to pull in the parking lot of said one way. The cop was a dick and put me in the car because he thought he could get me on DUI. It took like an hour but I passed the breathelizer fine. Fucker still ticketed me though. This was in Nashville a number of years ago. Still TENN so I'm posting this here. Anybody know?
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 7:15 pm

Oh yeah, I never paid it.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 7:28 pm

My guess would be a no, but is your license in TN? If not, then it may not affect that. What it could affect is your credit (as my husband found out and is now paying his dues on 2 tickets that eventually accumulated court costs and then went to collections).
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 7:32 pm

I live in Mississippi
I still have a Louisanna license
and the ticket was in TN

I tried to get a Mississippi license but they said I had a ticket in TN (that was last year and the ticket was 3 years ago). So I kept my LA license and it's still good so I thought I'd wait it out. Maybe I should at least check on it.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 7:52 pm

you probably have a warrant since you didn't pay the ticket. depending on the type of ticket, you may have to "surrender" yourself, be booked and released and then pay a court fee.

if there is no warrant, you can probably get my friend the lawyer (for a small fee)to have it set on the calendar and then dismissed.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 8:14 pm

Here in OR, once he didn't show up to court, they fined him and attached court costs and once that wasn't paid, it went to the State which suspended his license and sent the total off the collections where it eventually ended up getting paid off. Don't mess around...some states have Amnesty Day where you can go in a clear that sort of thing up easy.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 9:57 pm

they do have an amnesty day here in memphis, not so sure about nashville. but you should call and find out when it is if they do have one. they're not going to come get you because they have more important things to worry about (usually). you may be able to just send in money to them. usually that is all they're after. just call in from a payphone or a friend's phone or whatever so they don't have your number to call you back and then ask what you can do to clear it up. they're not going to arrest you since it is a minor charge. they may have a warrant out, but they don't even know where the hell to come get you, so unless you get pulled over and it shows up that your license is suspended, you're in the clear til it gets paid.

they're not wanting you to go to jail or to come in or anything. usually, they just want your money. at least that's the case with almost every state that i've dealt with. i've had this happen to me with so many tickets, it's insane. tennessee, mississippi, louisiana, illinois, and kentucky. sometimes they'll even let you do a correspondence driver's ed course to get the ticket off your record. i did that with kentucky! hahah.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 10:07 pm

You've driven on the wrong side of the road in that many states?
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 10:12 pm | Edited by: elle

no, i am a chronic speeder with a foot made of lead. i can't help it. i drive fast. i was going 102 trying to outrun a tornado in illinois when the dumbfuck cop pulled me over. i was like "uh you do know there is a tornado warning, right?" and he still gave me a ticket. that one was so expensive. eeeeek. that dumb shit came out in the pouring rain in a poncho just to give me a ticket. grrrr.
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 4:30 am

i had lived in chicago, sold my van to someone who got many parking tickets in the city before it was transfered into his name, in the mean time i had moved to colorado and then portland, no problems with changing licenses, eventually i moved back to chi (ten yrs later) still had tickets on the book couldn't get license in ill, visited my mom in michigan and got one, moved to memphis transfered no problem. what i'm getting at is that there seems to be no communication between states
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 11:52 am

I have two tickets from 1999. I owe the city of Memphis $362.50.

My information is from 2000, but I called the city about the tickets and asked if there was a bench warrant for my arrest for non payment and I was told that the city of Memphis does not issue warrants for minor traffic violations.

I had a Mississippi drivers license when I incurred the tickets in Memphis. I lived in Mississippi for almost one year, left the area for a time, then went and got my Mississippi license renewed in March of 2001. As far as I was concerned, as long as I drove in Mississippi, I was cool, but I had to be extra cautious and cool in Tennessee.

Mississippi is the only state where I totally blew off a traffic ticket. Got it in Marshall County (forgot the issuing agency, wish I knew.) The law used to be in Mississippi that it was legal to drive without insurance as long as you dont cause a traffic accident. if you do, it is illegal to have insurance.

I have a bench warrant in Clark Co. Nevada for $365 dollars for a wreckless driving offense in early 1993. Spent the night in jail for that stunt. Left Las Vegas, came back to Tennessee, traded my Nevada license for a Tennessee one. About six months later, i was in a minor traffic accident in Kennett, Missouri. I was nervous when I gave the cop my D.L. but the warrant in Nevada did not show up. In the clear, with the arresting agency 1500 miles away with no idea where I went.

Like Bruce said, there is very little communication between states, even from border states like Tennessee and Mississippi. I am sure in the Age after 9/11 that all these different agencies are communicating at a much smoother level.

Senor
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:18 pm

I got a ticket for something--tail light out?--in Knoxville about 11 years ago and never paid it. So far, it hasn't come up when I've renewed my license or anything.
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 5:38 pm

ncic doesn't usually catch traffic stuff, but it does ususally catch felonies
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 12:15 am

statute of limitations for parking tickets is 1 year.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 2:11 am

hahah. parking tickets. god only knows that i have had enough of those...shit.

i get them all the time parking right by campus on the street. the no parking zones around there are so arbitrary and it doesn't make any sense. no rhyme or reason, so i just park where i feel like it without being an asshole and blocking pathways or crosswalks. i got them a lot living downtown. that stupid meter maid whorebasket that would come out there at 7:45 in the morning and start writing tickets made me angry. i got into it with her too many times to count because i was coming outside to move my car while she was writing a ticket before 8am when it starts being illegal to park there without paying.

i think it's b.s. to have to pay to park a stupid car anyway in memphis. if they would make the public transportation system worth a flying flip, i wouldn't need a stupid space to park a car downtown or near campus.
Posted: Aug 21, 2019 6:10 pm

I got a speeding ticket in TN on my TN dL. Now I have a NY license. I never paid the TN speeding ticket. It happened in Cumberland Cty. Just wondering if I should take care of it just in case. It's been two years.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®