Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / FINALLY! the weather...
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 3:24 pm

It is just freaking lovely out there right now. North winds, overcast, and 69 degrees. I can breathe! I checked the 10 day and there's not a 90 degree temp in sight. September 1st is my favorite day of the year. That's the day that you know that there is hope that the hell of Memphis summer will abate a bit sometime during that month!
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 4:14 pm

Yeah it changed here today too...but Fall here is the chilly temps combined with pouring rain and soupy grey skies. It is the most depressing day of the year to me because you realize that the 3 days that were actually hot enough to swim in the rivers are behind you and summer is basically done for the next 9 months. Some people really love it because it starts looking like some medieval forest land where you expect gnomes and such to pop out in front of your car, but I hate gnomes.

Luckily I have only 4.5 months left!

(Alisa--we are staying overnight in Memphis--we are shipping everything rather than taking a UHaul so hanging out will occur)
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 5:28 pm

I've always thought I'd love the weather out there. I absolutely hate the heat, hate summer and love rain.
It'll be great to hang, fiery!
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 5:53 pm

It can be really striking. I work on a big hill covered in huge old growth pine trees and there is always a fog line over them when I come to work every morning. But after awhile, the charm fades away--at least it does if you are a sun worshipper and like to wear clothes like soft suede shoes, cotton dresses etc...you always have to weather protect everything you own. I still have a closet full of dresses I used to wear in Memphis--I can't wait to wear them again!
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 5:57 pm

Yep, Alisa, It's been pretty great! And I'm off tomorrow to enjoy it!
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 9:44 pm

beautiful weather! love it! can't wait til i am outta class and get to go skating in it tonight! :)
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 3:54 am

what is this "weather" of which you speak?
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 3:54 am

Exactly, TK. Exactly.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:21 am

beautiful weather, but it brought out a copperhead in my midtown yard... on the small side, but he was coiled on my freshly mowed lawn -- I almost stepped on em, jumped right out of my converse low tops when I realized what was moving. yardman whacked him with the shovel, then cut his head off with a pocketknife...
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:24 am

beautiful weather, but it brought out a copperhead in my midtown yard... on the small side, but he was coiled on my freshly mowed lawn -- I almost stepped on em, jumped right out of my converse low tops when I realized what was moving. yardman whacked him with the shovel, then cut his head off with a pocketknife...

Thank you, South, for beautiful short stories like these.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:27 am

if only Gus Cannon (r.i.p.) were my yardman!

I do have Memphis Slim's lil bro (a Chatmon, no less) living next door to me...
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:29 am

Andria, separate those phrases whith a few "Enter" button hits, and you'll rival Randall Jarrel's "Death of a Turret Ball Gunner".
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:36 am

fierydrunk Are you moving back to Memphis?
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:42 am

Death of a Young Copperhead

From a drowsy doze beneath the earth, I fell into the Yard,
And unfettered stalked the fresh-mown grass.
A threatening foot, and me about to strike,
I woke to the whoosh of a shovel coming down.
Head severed, my body flopped, until belly-up, I was thrown into the trash.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:46 am

Happy for the demise of the copperhead. That is what killed my beloved cat, MonkeyBoy.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:47 am

Beautiful, A. Fucking beautiful
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:49 am

thanky...

what I love about the title of Alisa's thread is that it's such a memphis thing to say -- and we all say it every spring, when the cold finally leaves, and then again every fall, with the same exhausted sigh -- I love the weather here, but there are so few months when it is really PERFECT!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:52 am

October is perfect in Memphis.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 5:02 am

Beautiful, A. Fucking beautiful

I concur. And, and then again every fall, with the same exhausted sigh --
This too!

Copperhead story made me skeered to venture into the back 40, though...and heaven knows I need to!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 5:06 pm

Thanky goodnesll lil' A didn't get bit by a copperhead!

I've been walking every morning at 7am all summer and this morning I noticed the light is is starting to change too. I love love love that moment after a long glaring hot summer when it cools off and you can see the changes in the light. Maybe it's just me, but when the humidity breaks everything is more in focus - literally. Or maybe the heat this summer made me even more of a kook and the cool weather brings with it a bit of sanity. Anyway, I think Memphis has incredible light in the fall and I do believe this morning it shifted, emperically speaking and all.

It's time start heading down to the river for sunsets.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 5:10 pm

it's time to go camping, dammit. now who's gonna drive me and Elle to michigan??? m t millionare is starting to get antsy.......
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 5:32 pm

Maybe it's just me, but when the humidity breaks everything is more in focus - literally.

It is not just you. I spend a lot of the summer hiding indoors...drinking too much and gaining a lot of weight. I can't think straight, or breathe. When the weather shifts it's like I become myself again. Fall is absolutely beautiful here.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 5:34 pm

it's time to go camping, dammit. now who's gonna drive me and Elle to michigan??? m t millionare is starting to get antsy.......

Dude. Camping ain't 'til October.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 5:50 pm

dude, camping is whenever i get the itch and the weather is cooperating. i haven't been camping for over a year and it's making me crazy. i need me some outdoors.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 6:00 pm

We're going to the Little Red to trout fish later in September. I'm excited, but it's going to be a little more family togetherness than I bargained for. Started out it was my cousin, her husband, their four kids, me and my three. Mother decided she wanted to come, and is bringing my brother and his two hoodlums, uh, sons. My family hasn't been in the same room for longer than 3 or 4 hours since...well, never. Whew boy.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 6:37 pm

fierydrunk Are you moving back to Memphis?

Nope. St. Petersburg FL. But we'll be much closer and totally intend to be up there more for family's sake.

And, y'all just wait! You KNOW September will give you at least one more hot as hades blast!!! That "Ah it is finally Fall (but it is still August)!" stuff is sooooooo Memphian too! October is indeed the finest month...then you know you are headed for those great days every day.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 6:46 pm

It's ALWAYS time for camping in Michigan (well, not in the winter really). It's nice and breezy by Lake Michigan...here, check this link again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoffmaster_State_Park
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 6:50 pm

Talk about nice weather.... I'll be in St Louis this weekend for the Cardinals/ Pirates game, and they're forecasting 80 degrees for a high and mid 60's for a low. Woo Hoo!!!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 7:02 pm

it was 71 degrees according to the first south sign on madison last night when i was out rollerskating around. :) lovely weather! LOVELY!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 7:34 pm

You KNOW September will give you at least one more hot as hades blast!!!

Which is why camping ain't until October.
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 7:55 pm

It's ALWAYS time for camping in Michigan

quit tempting me, m t!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 9:04 pm

quit tempting me, m t!

Sorry. I understand, who would want to camp here?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®