Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Reason # ? why I hate my neighborhood!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 3:37 pm

..While leaving my house to get in my car yesterday, a man pulled up in a truck and said he needed water because his radiator was overheating. When we walked around to the side of the house to fill a bucket up, he pulled a semi-automatic pistol out from a under a mechanics rag.

He then told me to lie face down in the back yard while he went and found some rope to tie me up with, which he did.

While threatning to shoot me if I looked at him( I had already seen him anyway), he proceeded to empty my back pockets, then kick me over on my back and empty the front ones.

I then had to go through my keys while tied up on my stomach, trying to find the one for the house, all while he's saying if I don't hurry up he will shoot me.

Well. to spare you any boring details, for the next 6-8 minutes I was on the ground tied up while he went through the house robbing me of my things. Last thing he came out and said to me was that he was leaving and his partner was staying behind and if I tried to leave he would kill me.

I waited about a minute or two and after getting the rope untied from my left wrist, I made myself get up and haul ass over the central air unit and six foot fence. ( there was no partner after all)

Oddly enough there were police across the street answering another call, so I ran over and got them. I'm sure I looked crazy covered in dirt from lying on the ground and with rope tied to my arms.

Anyway, crime respone unit showed up and dusted for prints. He has my keys to my van, yvonnes truck, the house, everything. So now all the locks on the vehicles and house have to be changed. It makes a person very mad.

I'm not dead, and whatever he stole can be replaced.

It makes me sick that I was trying to help somebody and this is what happened. This town has gone to shit, and especially that neighborhood.

Everybody just be careful and watch your backs and yards when you get home because I think this guy had been scoping the place out for awhile.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 3:43 pm

Godamn that is way way fucked up. How old was this fucker and where do you live?? Yeah man...that some serious bullshit. I dont give handouts anymore and pretty much just ignore any motherfucker that asked me for anything. Its gonna come down to some wild west type shit where everyone totes a gun on their person and get drawn often. Thats nutso man and Im glad your ok...shit!!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 3:49 pm

Shit ,Jerry ,I am so sorry this happened to you. I'm utterly disgusted by this. All the Memphis cheerleaders can go fuck themselves. This town is absolute shit and anybody wanting to come here even for a visit is fucking crazy.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:00 pm

Man, Jerry, that's is rough. It makes no sense. People who say, "funny, i've lived here forever and nothing's happened" don't have a clue. When it happens to you it fucking shakes you up. It makes me really sad b/c I like living here but everybody I fucking know has a story at this point. Is it to much to ask to live in a safe place? I mean, really, is it too much?
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:00 pm

last summer crime got pretty fucking scary, but this year seems soo much more violent...
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:05 pm

Jerry ,where is your neighborhood?
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:25 pm | Edited by: dangerouspinkie

that is fucked up! sorry jerry.

however, rumpleforeskin, to say that even coming to memphis for a visit means you're crazy is pretty fucking crazy.

jerry your neighborhood seems like it's really having so many troubles even for memphis. where is it?
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:43 pm

rumpleforeskin, to say that even coming to memphis for a visit means you're crazy is pretty fucking crazy.
I think too much of my friends to have them risk their lives where thugs roam the streets with impunity. I shudder when I see those ignorant tourists wandering around the areas around Graceland ,not knowing the danger. Yesterday on the news when I saw the cops crawling through storm drains and sewers to catch a home invader, I wished that they had just flooded the tunnels with firehoses to drown the fucker like the greasy rat he was.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:46 pm

that really sucks. glad yer alive. fuck the memphis criminal element, the cops who dont shit and our governement who is a joke. move to burlison. move anywhere. its safer.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:49 pm

I understand what rumple is saying....ya ever see the tourists and obvioulsy out of towner families wandering around the trolley stop at Cleveland and Madison at night, just oblivious to the fact of whats around the corner?
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:59 pm

yeah, i don't help anybody i don't know well. i tell my wife not to even answer the door unless she's expecting someone. it's sad when you don't even want to let someone use your phone. but i'd rather be a jerk than shot or robbed.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:09 pm

It's a sad day when you can't give a guy helping hand. Jerry, don't beat yourself up for what you did b/c hey, you're a nice guy and your guard was down. The most important thing is you are o.k..

You're very lucky you're not injured or dead. You were smart not to fight or run your mouth. There is a third option to "fight or flight" and that is playing possum. It's an effective survival instinct. You handled an awful situation very intellegently and in doing so you saved your own life.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:10 pm

yow jerry, that's fucking shitty. glad it wasn't worse. these idiots think / know they can get away with this kinda shit. goners under the gun week. fuck.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:13 pm

Sorry to hear that Jerry, but I'm glad to hear that you are alright!

Rumple, out of curiousity, if you hate it here so much, why are you still here? Its probably time to check out another city.

I guess I am one of the cheerleaders, because I say that the city is still awesome despite the criminal element.

I also think the cops do a great job, especially under Crews. They just need a lot more cops, and dumbasses need to stop abusing the 911 system.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:25 pm

if you hate it here so much, why are you still here? Its probably time to check out another city.
Well , if you must know, because of family committments, I am stuck here. Otherwise ,I would take my ass to Idaho ,Montana or even Utah in a second.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:29 pm

I live at Peabody and Somerville. And the guy was around 30-32. You want to hear something funny?

He had the nerve to apologize to me while tying me up. Fucker
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:30 pm

Believe it or not,I CAN remember when Memphis was a great place to live. But that was over 30 years ago. It certainly ain't like that now. Ask JerrryD or Brown sound how they feel about
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:32 pm

Hemant, out of curiosity, have you ever or a family member ever been held up at gunpoint, assaulted or robbed?

If you have and still have such a positive view of the city, then that's great, I applaud you. However, for me, having been assaulted and robbed, I see Memphis through a different, albeit very frustrating lens. Frustrating b/e on the one hand I love it here yet I see it as a very harsh and scary place. You might ask, why not leave? Well, job, solidly lower middle class income, family, friends all make this home. I just want the city I love to be safer.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:48 pm

Ths is awful and terrifying. How far West on Peabody is Somerville?

Things obviously gots to change and I am sure you all are very afraid and isolated, but if the things you love about Memphis are worth it enough to stay, you can try to do something other than being on lockdown in your own homes. I left, not because of violence, but because of the status quo of accepting poverty and pretty much everything negative about Memphis...so change is gonna be hard and something that many people/citizens must commit to doing. I suppose it could be argued that that "ho hum" attitude of keeping the status quo has led to the violence and rampant robbing and burglaring to get what they want/need.

Or you can move--it is a choice too, of course. I am really sad this is all happening there.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:03 pm

Well, channel 30 just showed up and filmed a story about it that will be on between 5 & 6 tonight. Check it out if you're near a t.v.

I guess that's on between Martin and Girlfriends.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:10 pm | Edited by: lemissa

It's also drugs and gangs, gangs, gangs. The kids that clobbered and robbed my friends and me in my front yard at the beginning of the summer were part of a gang initiation. They luckily got caught b/c I called the cops and they saw the two kids in a car around the corner and ended up having a five mile car chase through south memphis at 100mph. After their car crashed they ran out of the car an one kid shot at a cop. Ends up they had car jacked four cars the night before and in one car the cops found an arsenal of AK-47s and sawed-off shot guns. We were lucky they didn't shoot us. They are 16 and 17.

I ended up testifying against one of the kids in Juvinile Court in a hearing to determine if he would be tried as an adult. Well, the judge decided woul be tried as an adult and he set his bond at 100k. It was very gratifying to get this kid behind bars but it was sad, the whole scene at JC was just so fucking sad. Whew.

I'm all for doing what I can to make Memphis better, b/c like I said, I love memphis and I love my house. If there is one small thing I can do as a citizen to ease poverty and crime I will. Sure, I volunteer here and there, I vote, I'm involved in with my neighborhood assoc. and I'm not living scared behind close doors. Other than that, I'm not sure what I can do. I have no desire to shut down, become bitter or to be 'ho hum'.

As a social worker who has dealt with these kids over and over, what do you suggest as the most effective thing the 'ordinary citizen' can do, Fiery?
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:16 pm

Jerry! I am glad you're ok!!!

That sucks! I used to live across the street - 12 years ago...that neighborhood is pretty sketchy! Be careful!
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:19 pm

what do you suggest as the most effective thing the 'ordinary citizen' can do

Shoot them
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:30 pm

Wire, please. Crime here is a disease, like a cancer that has spread throughout the entire city. If you were to 'shoot em' you'd have to kill thousands and thousands of people. And then what about the 11-12 year olds that are getting primed nows to be intiiated in a few years, just like their older brothers, their dads and their uncles? I guess we should just nip those little rug rats in the bud now, huh?

Honestly, when I think of the scale of the inept city government, the under staffed police department and the poverty in this town my head wants to explode. Fucking nuts.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:54 pm

I'm not suggesting shooting someone for throwing signs, spraypainting, shoplifting, selling crack.
I am absolutely suggesting shooting someone who is robbing people, assaulting people, murdering people.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 6:58 pm

I'm part of the exodus. I've lived in Memphis all my life and am fed up. The government has been twisted fur years, the cops do not do shit and do not give me this understaffed excuse, the crime is practically everywhere and our so called leaders are not. Commute vs. crime??? Hmmmm, not a very tough choice.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:04 pm

Oh, no, for me living in the Memphis suburbs isn't an option. (No offense, Sugardaddy, if you live in the suburbs.)

If I were to get the point where I'd actually pack the moving truck, I'd head much further away than that.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 7:13 pm

If there is one small thing I can do as a citizen to ease poverty and crime I will. Sure, I volunteer here and there, I vote, I'm involved in with my neighborhood assoc. and I'm not living scared behind close doors. Other than that, I'm not sure what I can do. I have no desire to shut down, become bitter or to be 'ho hum'.

You are doing more than a lot of people already. It is a hard call and I do not know all the answers. There is a city planning program at U of M that actually knows a lot on how groups should organize against city government to get the things they need/want to improve their quality of life. They often do work with MIFA on community improvement projects. This is a long fight and it will feel like a fight. Obviously I am not gonna be of the stripe that just gets bitter, but I understand being angry. But sometimes anger turns to inaction and surrender and to surrender to these assholes (from city guv on down to the gangs) is fucked up.

But I am not living there anymore, so I empathize with all the feelings.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 8:43 pm | Edited by: sherman

Sorry to hear about that Jerry. Glad you're ok!

Seems like Memphis streets are as desperate as they've ever been lately...lots of folks staggering in between cars on streets. I think Memphis needs a giuliani-type offensive. Start with code enforcement and work neighborhood to neighborhood. That won't solve all the problems but it will give the citizens who do care some hope that change is coming. What other city (besides d-troit) lets weeds go on abandoned lots, burned out houses empty, etc. Hey, Mayor, do you ever drive through this city?

http://www.saferdowntownmemphis.com/whoweare.html

That's just a couple of people who got fed up about crime and did something. Frankly, I'm tired of the crime but I'm probably more tired of whiners like Rumps who simply criticize and don't do anything.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 8:48 pm

Oh, no, for me living in the Memphis suburbs isn't an option. (No offense, Sugardaddy, if you live in the suburbs.)

If I were to get the point where I'd actually pack the moving truck, I'd head much further away than that

oh i am. tipton county. burlison, tn pop. 443. in fact i currently do not live too far from where jerry's terrible incident happened. peabody and cleveland, which by the way two houses were broken into within a week of each other recently.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:19 pm

My family home is Peabody & Rozelle. I cringe thinking of the relative ease of getting into that place. I am hoping they finally put storm doors across the front of the house. There are doors rather than windows across the whole bottom floor. I will have to call my aunt pronto.

Burlison? Do you know anyone out there or are you going all country man on us?
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:37 pm

Fuck you sherman ,you goddam sissy ass carpetbagger.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:40 pm

Sherman ,what constructive things do you do besides suck alex chilton's cock?
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:42 pm

Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:45 pm

HO-LEE SHIT. I just called you and Yvonne but got your voice mail. If y'all need anything, let me know.

Personally, I would have no compunction whatsoever about posting up on the roof with a rifle and picking off anybody who gets close to your door for the next couple of evenings.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 9:49 pm | Edited by: Mark Rochambeaux

Death squads, anyone?

Peabody and Somerville is pretty frightening, though ...
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:03 pm

Burlison? Do you know anyone out there or are you going all country man on us?

i always wanted to be a farmer
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:05 pm

I think Memphis needs a giuliani-type offensive. Start with code enforcement and work neighborhood to neighborhood.

all the cool kids I know that lived in NYC during the 90's would scoff, but Sherman's ABSOLUTLEY on the mark here.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:08 pm

Seriously, rump, you've been on this board about 2 months and all you do is make snarky, negative comments. I went back & looked at your posts & you're constant nihilstic negativity makes it sound like you are a drooling 14 year-old moron who just discovered the internet. When your dad finds out you've been using his computer, you're gonna get it. If you are actually over the age of 14, re-read your posts and realize what a negative jerk you come across as before you post any more. I don't think there are many folks here who want to read your negative crap any more. If you don't like Memphis, leave. If you can't leave, then do something about Memphis to improve it. If you can't do either, then shut the fuck up.

What I do is none of your business. I'll tell you what I don't do...sit around on an internet board all day and bitch and moan about how shitty Memphis is and how great it was 30 years ago.

Seriously, fuck off.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:08 pm

all the cool kids I know that lived in NYC during the 90's would scoff, but Sherman's ABSOLUTLEY on the mark here

Yeah, I have friends that fit that mold too, but now that they are getting older and having kids they sure are glad New York is safer.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:34 pm

Make that bald headed sissy ass carpetbagger. Signed snarky Seriously, fuck off. Last time I looked it said Goner Board not ShangriLame board . I have just as much right to post as you do AND I 'm not so sure you represent the majority opinion. Until they ban me here ,I will express my own opinion just like everybody else here does. It seems to you as though anybody that doesn't think like you is backwards and negative. Now go back and soak in your algae encrusted fartwater sensory deprivation tank that I'm sure you still have in the back somewhere. Your brain is already softened enough though.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:38 pm

It may be channel 24 between 5 & 6. Now keep in mind that I didn't shower today, so I look kind of rough. I had to do some re-enactments that were kiind of silly. I hope they show them.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:39 pm

not to defend rump, i think his personal comments were a bit off color, but there is a lot of negative crap/whiners on here. a lot of positive stuff too. venting on the goner board maybe therapeutical to some folks. i do know that if memphis did not have one of the highest crime rates in the country, there probably wouldnt be this thread. also, i believe i read in the CA today that we are the 8th angriest city in the country. might be something to that
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:50 pm

ShangriLame board

fuck you
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:55 pm

And thanks everybody for your support. It was a terrifying incident that I would not wish on my worst enemy.

Yes, I'll still help people in need out, I'll just be a little bit more careful.

And Sherman, you're absolutely right.

Okay, I have to go watch myself on the news.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 11:06 pm | Edited by: hemant

Hemant, out of curiosity, have you ever or a family member ever been held up at gunpoint, assaulted or robbed?

Yeah, my sister got robbed at gunpoint in NYC last year. And I am the only guy I knew in Philly who did not get robbed... I left in 1998 before it was my turn. Its really terrible, and I hope I don't sound like it is something that should be accepted as part of Memphs.

However, with the exception of about 3 major cities, every US city has seen a very large crime spike. So its not just something particular to Memphis. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-07-30-police-summit_x.htm

Moving to the suburbs may help you, but more than anything, the city needs good people moving in looking out for eachother, not just themselves.

I am a big believer in the broken window theory and I think that the city needs to boost Code enforcement. It really needs to be a 24/7 department under the supervision of the police department with fines that grow exponentially for repeat offenses.

looking forward to the news story Jerry! Eyewitness news is handsdown the best news station
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 11:42 pm

been robbed at gunpoint in memphis, houston and detroit. my feelings continue to be the same. crime sucks and makes me so mad it makes me fucking crazy. however it does not make me want to leave memphis in the least. if it makes somebody else want to leave, i don't blame them in the least. but to say you wouldn't even let your friends come to memphis is still about the stupidest thing i've ever heard. but it goes with a lot of rumple's comments, so i guess hyperbole and insults is just his way of communicating. whatev. i think hemant's idea has a lot of merit. there is a lot to working on infrastructure in order to help. nothing is a perfect fix, but that doesn't mean we should all just leave the city to turn into a John Carpenter movie. those who want to can make plenty of difference and we can have plenty of fun. hope mississippi's good to you sugar, you'll be missed at casa de curry! my friend al moved down to his great aunt's land when she passed in coldwater, and has been broken into there as much as anyone i know in memphis. the world is a very tough place. look out for each other folks.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 11:43 pm

I had to do some re-enactments that were kiind of silly. I hope they show them.

This was my first question of you when I heard you did the news.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 11:44 pm

I'm sorry that happened, jerryd, and glad you're okay. I have been arm robbed in a very frightening way, and my child and his father were arm robbed at the cemetary, of all places. My ex owns a jewelry store downtown, and was arm robbed last year...they threw bleach in his face and then started smashing cabinets with a gun to his head the whole time. Pistol whipped him, too.
I still love Memphis. I think lemissa has had some good things to say in this thread.
Honestly, when I think of the scale of the inept city government, the under staffed police department and the poverty in this town my head wants to explode. Fucking nuts.
All these things are part of the problem. I don't know the solution...but I sure know that Willie doesn't give a fuck.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 11:48 pm

My ex owns a jewelry store downtown, and was arm robbed last year...they threw bleach in his face and then started smashing cabinets with a gun to his head the whole time. Pistol whipped him, too.

Was this the store on S. Main across from the NBC-come-Suntrust building?
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:00 am

Yep, one and the same. It was horribly, horribly frightening. He couldn't see (bleach in his face) and they wanted the tape from the surveillence cameras. They thought he was fucking with them when he said he couldn't get it. They took the whole VCR, and dumped it down near Court Square. While they were doing this, he escaped onto the roof of the building and started screaming for help. He had pushed the security button, but it took police a few minutes to show up. The police have the perpetrators on tape, they are way identifiable from their tattoos. Nothing has happened.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:01 am

Oh yeah, to the people who have personally called me and asked me this question, I will give the answer out to everybody....

NO! THIS TIME IT WAS NOT A HOOKER WHO ROBBED ME!!!

That was years ago.

Both times.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:05 am

"Shit! Carlos is coming!!!!"

Bye bye bicycle.

The greatest story ever told.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:15 am

YAY! On the Eyewitness 24 webpage!

Robbers Find Tricky Ways To Rip You Off
Posted: 8/16/2006 4:35:47 PM

Video

The bad guys are pretending to be good guys and taking advantage of innocent victims. Robbers are catching people off guard in order to steal their money.

If you are sitting in your car or walking down the street and someone asks you for a phone or for help be careful.

One Midtown man was robbed when a bad guy asked him for water for his car's radiator. When the man grabbed a bucket and starting filling it up, he was robbed.

On Mud Island, a couple going to a party was robbed when a man approached them and asked to borrow a phone.

An elderly woman was robbed at her home in Hickory Hill when a man showed up at the door and said he had a package for a relative. When she opened the door, he barged in.

Be careful when someone asks to borrow your phones, your lighter or anything.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:18 am

Yeah, fuck that little cock teasing bicycle thief and the just straight up hooker thief that robbed me on Elvis Presley.

AAAHHHH! Those were the days
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:21 am

Jerry fucking rules.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:22 am

Damn! Eric was not kidding re: the ridiculous propensity of "props" used in news stories in Memphis! That story had the reporter using at least 10 props, including a switchblade to her own neck! EEK! At least you got to do your own stunts, Jerry.

The anchor even mentioned "Davidson's neighborhood" after the clip!
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:32 am

I don't know the solution...but I sure know that Willie doesn't give a fuck.

Definitely true...2008 can't come soon enough. I just hope that there is one competent opponent
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:38 am

Does Willie still have his security patrol? Fuck that dude. I am hopeful he will live many years to see the history "books" slam his reign.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:52 am

i'm really sorry to hear about that, jerry. it's just getting scarier and scarier every day around here.

this recent spike in crime is just insane. between gang violence and houses getting broken into and cars stolen and being held up at gunpoint, this city has just gone fucking berserk. they really need to crack down on this and neighborhood watches that are FOR REAL AND ON POINT, not just lip service, need to happen. at all hours. not just during the daylight and early sundown hours. the police doing their "blue crush" shit need to not worry so much about writing damn tickets and worry more about shady shit going down. PATROLLING!
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:52 am

Willie has it all...security patrols, baby mamas, prize fight bouts, a "reign"....
I've never forgiven him for when he let the grass grow waist high in Overton Park, and said "fuck the city's parks" just to get his (tax increase) way.
The mayor is notably absent from all the reportage about the lawlessness in the streets. Where the hell did "the buck stops here" go?
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 1:11 am

Is this stuff constantly on the news? I never really see it when I look at the CA page, so unless it happens to someone that posts here, I can't get a true read on how the city is reacting.

If the news is on top of this, some serious organizing of peoples rich and poor need to come together for a loud protest, either at a City Council meeting or directly go down to the mayor's office during the day and catch him sleepin'. This sort of thing goes on and while the cynics out there may ask, "Well, what good will THAT do..." well, it makes things more uncomfortable for those in power when they can't just assume that everyone will let them continue to go by biz as usual anymore.

I am telling you, MIFA may be a good place to start if you don't wanna do this all ragtag style. They are so connected at so many levels.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 1:17 am

Fiery, the interdenominational ministers had a "prayer rally" a couple of months back. And, the rap guys had some kind of "rap for peace" rally at the Civil Rights museum.
Obviously, that ain't cutting it. Willie may have been at the prayer rally, but I don't think so...
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 2:59 am

Well, if the thugs would just refrain...
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 3:02 am

hope mississippi's good to you sugar, you'll be missed at casa de curry! my friend al moved down to his great aunt's land when she passed in coldwater, and has been broken into there as much as anyone i know in memphis.

i'll still be in the volunteer state. tipton county. will be livin' off Turkey Scratch road. don't git much more cuntry than that yall

p.s. anyone wanna buy a 88 ford f150 git in touch. $1000.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 3:43 am | Edited by: lemissa

2008 may as well be ten years away - or atleast feels like ten years away. Urgh.

I live in Glenview which is an old established black neighborhood south of Lamar, just south of Cooper Young btw McLean and S. Pkwy. Most of the neighborhood are old folks that bought homes here during white flight in the 60s.

The neighborhood is organized. There's a neighborhood association and even our street has a group that meets for the "needs" of Foster Ave. We were asked by a neighbor if we could host a gathering of the Foster Ave group for some politicians to come and speak to the residents before the elections. So a few Friday nights ago my husband and I had in our living room Bill Gibbons, three judges and Bob Patterson (tax assessor) and about 15 neighbors, most of whom were over the age of 75. It was surreal.

A lot of what went down was pure hand shaking, but when it got to crime one thing they said over and over is call the cops, call the cops, call the cops. If there is repeated petty theft by the same crackhead over and over, just keep calling the cops. The jail is so over populated, they only give these guys 'tickets' but if they appear in court a certain amount of times then they'll go to jail. Before that it's repeated slaps on the wrist. Istn't that fucked up?

They didn't get into much about violent crime b/c it rarely happens in this neighborhood. I'm not sure why but this is a really low crime pocket, what happened to me was a fluke. (Actually, the whole carjacking part of these kid;s crime spree happened in Germantown, UofM, Midtown and Millington. They went totally nutso on Memphis that night.)

Anyway, even if those politicians are ineffectual at least they came and heard a few Memphis residents. It did demonstrate some type of an attempt to connect with their constituency. Sure they were looking for votes, but they also were part of the conversation.

I wanted to ask Gibbons about the relationship btw the Mayor's office and the DA's office but I didn't.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:02 am

That question needs to be asked. Some sort of leverage needs to be established against the mayor's office and the city council...I am not sure of exactly where the true power lies in Memphis. Who has control over the budget? Things are done differently here. Obviously there is need for more cops for patrol and the money needs to be allocated to that. The police chief may be more quiet than is needed as he is likely appointed by Willie and doesn't wanna rock the boat. However, if the council and the citizens keep piping up...this will hopefully be something they cannot ignore.

Sure, it is easy for me to say out here but one of the main reasons things out here are the way they are is because of all the loudmouth hippie ass liberals who aren't embarrassed to cause scenes.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:50 am

Man, it must suck to be you Rumpleforeskin.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:59 am

one of the main reasons things out here are the way they are is because of all the loudmouth hippie ass liberals who aren't embarrassed to cause scenes.

same w/ NY too - depending on where you live - replace loudmouth hippie w/ loudmouth bohemian
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 7:40 am

I haven't quite figured out the funding cycles/circles yet (I'm leaving that to Hemant and that's why he's getting my campaign donations), but the code thing, which I feel is integrally related to crime goes down like this--at least in my experience, and, if you've heard this before, sorry to bore you, but it still irks me to this day, as nothing has changed in the last 8 years that I have been paying attention to this stuff. In fact, it has gotten much worse, comically even--despite the awesome efforts of Judge Potter in the environmental court, a virtual army of one--but, I digress...Here's the deal: as told to me 2nd-hand when we were intimately working with the city on fixing a most-assuredly fucked neighborhood...the man in charge of enforcing code (look under Director of Neighborhoods...this man is now retired, and he was the good guy--happened to be a black man) would not do so on a poor neighborhood because of the fear of backlash from poor people in the complaints-turned-into-negative votes dept. "We can't just all of a sudden enforce code wholesale. People will go nuts." Well, this is what you get from an administration with no political spine to enforce code. The people who suffer the most are the people lemissa talks about--the ones most invested in their neighborhood who have watched as slumlords get free reign and their property values (& most usually in these cases, their life savings are in their property) diminish. This is (one of many reasons) why Herenton has to go. He has no interest in (fixing) these neighborhoods. The only excuse I allow him is that Rout bankrupted the city by giving well-heeled developers free reign on extending city services by developing further east at discounted rates for too long and causing the city to be unable to afford to cover all the new areas with services. While this is history at this point, he could be doing much more if he weren't so distracted doing...actually, does anyone know what he has been doing?????

Fixing this problem would take a minor spine and major interest in the city. Short run pain for long run gain for the whole city as well as for the black & white (& whoever) property owners. Fuck these lame slum lords. Take their property in tax court and re-sell it to MIFA or the Community Foundation.

Hire 400 more police/inspectors and put them on every bad corner working the problem areas 24/7 for 2 years. (16 million dollars for a payback of 50 million or more in property value increases as well as a much safer city) The lazy-ass criminals will move to places like Tipton County so fast it will make Memphis wheels spin. Could make a great triple 6 video...Shit, Willie, how tough could it be to do this?????
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 7:57 am

The lazy-ass criminals will move to places like Tipton County so fast it will make Memphis wheels spin.

gawd i hope not. I don't want to move again. ha ha ha
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 9:12 am

Totally sorry, Jerry.
Didn't see you on the 5-6, but checked the 24eyewitnes site, and saw the story. Yep. Sick of news "props".

Rumpleforeskin needs to get out a little.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 9:15 am

And, Luke, if you're ever brave enough (I wouldn't blame you if you didn't respond), tell your tale of crazy kidnapping circa '95.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 12:54 pm

loudmouth hippie ass liberals who aren't embarrassed to cause scenes

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 3:41 pm

Who has control over the budget?

Mayor's office creates the budget, council has to approve it.

I once spoke to Carol Chumney about why code enforcement has been ineffective, and she just said that it was the responsibility of the mayor. Although she is correct, I was disappointed by her answer because I wanted her to use her politcal position to urge the mayor to beef up code enforcement and demand that more money be included in the budget for hiring of code enforecement officers. All of our elected politicians are so short sighted...

Code enforcement really does not cost the city anything because it fills the coffers immediately through fines, and raises property tax revenues in the long run. Plus crime drops, and civic pride grows. Currently, there's barely any incentive for absentee property owners to cut the grass or maintain their property. Our street in Rozelle Annesdale had several neglected boarded up homes where the property owners didn't maintain the property but wanted to hang on to the property hoping that it would fetch cooper young prices one day. In the meantime, the boarded up homes became havens for crackheads and thugs.

Sherman, you are right about Larry Potter being the one man army. We're screwed if he ever steps down.

I also have a lot of respect for the current police chief, Godwin. He is very visible, and his initiatives seem to be working.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 4:56 pm

Yep, one and the same. It was horribly, horribly frightening. He couldn't see (bleach in his face) and they wanted the tape from the surveillence cameras. They thought he was fucking with them when he said he couldn't get it. They took the whole VCR, and dumped it down near Court Square. While they were doing this, he escaped onto the roof of the building and started screaming for help. He had pushed the security button, but it took police a few minutes to show up. The police have the perpetrators on tape, they are way identifiable from their tattoos. Nothing has happened.

Okay, yea. I saw the (almost) whole thing go down when I was walking back to my office across the street. That was shit was pretty intense.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:38 pm

to my office across the street.

heyradio where do you work? NBC building? I was working in brinkley plaza last year when that happened......
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:40 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Well, this is what you get from an administration with no political spine to enforce code.

I just read sherman and hemant's posts on this situation and am AGHAST, I tell you. How fucking pathetic. For all the smack I talk on Portland (much deservedly), this place would never accept this...in fact, they are TOO up on doing things by the book here! At this stage, nearly every inch of the city is being redeveloped and rehabbed...while this is ultimately going to continue to mean increased county crime issues as criminals get pushed out to the county that doesn't have the resources to deal with the new problems, Portland is sitting pretty. Wow, Memphis.

Where the FUCK is the local media on this? Print media as I cannot see the Prop Masters being able to find appropriate concrete items to tell the tale.
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 5:49 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

This model (Dudley Street Initiative) was one of the things we studied at UT re: community organizing to improve the community.

http://www.dsni.org/

http://comm-org.wisc.edu/papers98/tulloss.htm
Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:01 pm

heyradio where do you work? NBC building?

Indeed, or the Suncrust building now.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 2:24 am

i seen you on tv last night! too bad it was fucking jenny diprizio on the case - THE WORST NEWS REPORTER ON MEMPHIS TV. i woulda put quotes around reporter but thought that might fuck it up in case anyone googled "worst news reporter" "memphis." we are so glad bill curry's dog bit her. she sucks. mike matthews rules.

actually she's the worst this memphis news junkie has ever seen. she sucks. she sucks. she sucks.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 2:48 am

Yeah, that was a little disturbing to watch. They cut out a lot ( which I knew they would) and left in that stupid part at the end. I looked like that had just happened. My personal stylist was off yesterday.

I'm not a big news watcher, so when she showed up at my house, I had no idea who she was.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 3:02 am

So, break it down for me, I didn't see the show. You get tied-up & jacked with a semi-automatic weapon, then a tv crew comes down and axes you to re-enact what must surely be the worst thing that ever happened to you?

Good god, this is news? I hope you got union scale at least.

Shouldn't they at least have some not ready for prime time players to do the re-enactments?
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 3:12 am

I just had to re-enact the filling up of the bucket, and then walk her through the back yard explaining what happened.

When they came up to the house and told me what was going on, I expected to see some large black guy they had just pulled off the street to play my attacker jump out of their van.

I wonder who would have played me?
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 3:12 am

That would have been Ms. DiPrizio...I was a little stunned to see her allow you to do your own stunt with the bucket, esp. after I saw her sick a knife to her throat.
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 7:31 am

we are so glad bill curry's dog bit her.
WHAT?????

I hate that prop-monger! Good for doggie!
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 3:25 pm

yeah, i was hoping her hand would slip while she "pretended" to slit her own throat on that clip.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®