Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / jack stands: home coffee roasting
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:07 am | Edited by: lemissa

I thought of you while checking out this Memphis food/wine blog I like. He makes this technique look very easy.

http://www.see-sip-taste-hear.blogspot.com/
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:22 am

"Your house may smell like roasted coffee. Some people don't like it, but I think it's a plus"
Me, too.
I've done this, but I like a heavy roast. more than 20 roasts in the popcorn popper, though, you're running the risk of fire from the oils (unless you clean completely after each roast - bad incident on my part).
I prefer air roasting to pan roasting, though.

I got a new way! And I agree with his Yirgacheffe selection. That's what I roast for Goner.

Thanks, lemissa! More people should roast!!!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:23 am

How do you air roast???

How much can you do at a time at home?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:31 am

We used to do 1-2 lbs at a time in a super air roaster. I tried to buy the machine for around 7 grand. Cooked it at 530 degrees, though. Then, dumped into a pan that sucked the air down at around 50 mph. BRILLIANT machine.
I got a new set of devices.

Some in the "coffee community" argue over "slow-roast" machines and "air roast" machines. Both have their own cool qualities. However, once a slow-roast is going, you can't clean your machine untill the end of the day.
This might sound picky, but, if I got 10 lbs of mexican altura going through a slow roast, you DO NOT want me to put your special order Hawaiian Kona single lb through the machine after. All the oils mix at a high temp, and you get mediocre "infused" with your "great".
Slow roast is good in single batch, though.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 3:45 am

And, to your point, lemissa, it is easy. And, yes, you can do exactly as he says. "Second crack" is most important; that is the beginning of a "French Roast", end of a "Vieniese Roast". Just clean after every use, and NEVER attempt an "Italian Roast" with that machine.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:16 am

Jack, your house must smell like Heaven..........
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:18 am

It does.
I'm coming by Wednesday. I took the day off to do some shoppin'.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:24 am

It does.
When I roast, anyway.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 7:26 am

mmmmm. so, ok, i never understood exactly what the difference was between french and italian roasts, other than the obvious one of taste. so it takes more roasting time to get the beans up to an italian roast than it does a french roast? is that the difference? and what do you have to have to acheive an italian roast if you can't use an air popper, because i LOVE italian roast the absolute best.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 1:23 pm

and here's me sittin' here at work drinking Folgers.......
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 2:38 pm

is that the difference?
Italian roast is as close to burning the beans as you can get, without burning them. It maximizes the amount of oil extracted from the bean.
Beans look black, and should be almost "dripping" with oil (which is why you don't want to do this in a popcorn popper).

and here's me sittin' here at work drinking Folgers.......
Next time I make up a batch for Eric and Zac, I'll make you some, too!
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:01 pm

is that why a french roast tastes almost stronger than italian roast? is the oil still infused in the bean what determines the strength of flavor?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:21 pm

Actually, strength is determined by two factors: amount and fine-ness of grind, but more strength is mainly determined from the later. Both French and Italian roasts have enough oil released at their respective roasting stages to make espresso.
Think of a coffee ground as a little serving plate of the oils, flavors and tanins (you can actually apply this analogy to most cooking) that make up coffee. When the hot water passes through coarse grinds, it only "washes off" whatever is on the surface of the server plate; therefore, the finer the grind, more surface area is exposed, and will make a "stronger" concentration of oils, flavors and tanins to water. And, obviously, if you add more coffee to your filter you will do the same.
Overall, I prefer a dark french roast to italian, because it's right there at the edge of burning, with a little less bitterness. As for espresso, I do prefer the Italian roast, because water passes through the grounds for a short period of time, leaving most of the bitterness still "stuck" to the "serving plate".
But, overall, coffee is like music and is completely subjective to each person's experience. People like what they like, and there ain't nothing wrong with that.
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 5:29 pm

Hot diddley! Jack, when we hit town over NYE, you gotta show me how to do this, and lemme taste some of yer roasts!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®