Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Earles and other Memphians who do not freq the ???? section query
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 3:37 pm

What DVDs have you rented of late that you have been into? I need to crank up the use of the Netflix account again.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 4:18 pm

Everything Is Illumniated

i loved that movie.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 5:15 pm

Posted: Aug 13, 2006 7:49 pm

Liked: Fallen Angel -Gram Parsons documentary-pretty good
Little Britain- Vol.1 &2 ( 2 is better)
I rented William Eggleston in the Real Word,40 Shades of Blueand Stoned but I can't recommend them.
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 11:33 pm

Robot Chicken
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 12:07 am

i have wanted to see everything is illuminated for quite some time, ever since i first saw a preview for it on the fated dvd. however, every time i go to rent movies, everything is illuminated is always out. even when i went in today, it was out. i finally am getting around to watching a history of violence tonight. i know, i'm a slacker. i also picked up the documentary protocols of zion.

the robot chicken dvd is hilarious. it's great for people with a.d.d. i love it.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 12:11 am

Elle, Britney probably still has the copy of everything is illuminated.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 12:43 am

I didn't like 40 Shades of Blue. I think it's worth watching, but I didn't like it. Maybe I didn't like it even more after hearing the "Director's Cut." It was awful with "well, here my inspriration was blah blah blah, and here my inspriaration with blah."

I've been on a chick flick tear. Very strange for me. Watched The Family Stone and Elizabethtown. Elizabethtown was only cool because I like whats-her-name and they had a big scene shot at Earnestine and Hazel's! The "Behind the Scenes" at E and H was cool.
Also watched Brokeback Mountain...which (thrash me!) I loved.
And, "Stoned"...an awful movie about Brian Jones.

I can't really recommend anything I've seen (out of 12 movies!) lately...
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 1:15 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

I watched "Humoresque" starring Joan Crawford today. It was pretty good; she really got on my nerves in this role, however. I think I had hyped it up in my mind as I have been waiting for years to see it. "Mildred Pierce" is still #1 for her.

We have "Carandiru" and "Rise" (or is it "Rize"?) to watch next.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 1:20 am

Mildred Pierce is great, but I think my favorite Joan Crawford is "The Women". If you've never seen that I HIGHLY recommend it.
Also something called "Susan and God" (Anita Loos screenplay). A resounding endorsement of Atheism!
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 2:01 am

Here's what I recommend...some more than others (new film, DVD, On Demand, Netflix, and rent-ables): Brick, The Proposition, Running Scared, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Strangers With Candy, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 3:57 am

I liked recently (all netflix)- The Matador, The Flaming Lips: The Fearless Freaks, Syriana, Cabin Fever, Mean Creek, Long Hot Summer, Oldboy (great), Match Point, Inside Man, Sky High
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:05 am

Oh yeah, I On-Demanded The Matador last night and really liked it.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:57 am

he Flaming Lips: The Fearless Freaks

This could only have been good if they made it 10 years ago.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 5:13 am

hmmm i wanted to see syriana when it first came out in the theatre, but all my friends told me not to see it, so i've passed on it several times. i wanna rent match point too, but my bf isn't a woody allen fan at all, so that'll have to be for me to watch on my own. i saw a preview for brick and i'm pretty intrigued. however, they were out of that today too. grrrr.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 8:09 am

Check out:

-V for Vendetta
-Wonder Showzen Season 1
-Thank You For Smoking
-Rubin And Ed

...and as far as youtube videos go...I've really been into this one:

Posted: Aug 14, 2006 3:36 pm

Oldboy and The Matador brought the goods, yes.

hey Brit lemme borrow your Everything is Illuminated.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:39 pm

Oldboy. Holy shit. This movie was fucked.

The Holy Mountain. I've been re-watching this movie a lot showing in-the-dark friends what they've been missing.

Hard Ticket To Hawaii. Might be the greatest movie of all time. Seriously.

Air Bud 4: The Reckoning.

Arrested Development. Seen it before. See it again. Season 3 comes out, in like, a week.

Squid And The Whale. Can't necessarily recomend it, but it's definitely something to watch.

Carnivale Season 2. It comes to an end abruptly. It suffered the same fate as Arrested Dev.

Santa Sangre. Another Alejandero Jorodowsky film. Like Psycho, but better.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 4:59 pm

Most of Fearless Freaks is pre-1995, and quite good.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 5:14 pm

What is Fearless Freaks? Oh wait, I see, Flaming Lips. I saw them in 1988 where they just looked like a bunch of hair amongst ridiculous amounts of dry ice (so much you tasted it for hours afterward) and "weird lights".

I liked Oldboy, for the most part. A lot of these suggestions are ones I haev forgotten about or never heard of, which is good.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:08 pm

Fearless Freaks was great!
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 6:54 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

I just watched New York Doll this morning and loved it . Sad though. We watched The Good Earth this weekend.
Yes,it's white people portraying Asians but it was 1937 Hollywood and it's still a great movie.
Posted: Aug 14, 2006 7:08 pm

New York Doll is great.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 5:19 am

Hubie, he reminds me of Dancing Jimmy. Anyone remember this local icon?
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:24 am

dancing jimmy: "I'M A BEER-O!"
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 6:02 pm

That guy is a regular at Wet Willies and all around Beale. He's much much more affable than dancing james.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 9:52 pm

i saw the lips last week in cleveland and left after 6 songs. it was terrible.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 10:11 pm

That guy is a regular at Wet Willies and all around Beale. He's much much more affable than dancing james.

Uh, is he one of the ghosts on Beale? I'm pretty sure Dancin' Jimmy croaked.
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 11:29 pm

indeed: he dead.
Posted: Aug 20, 2006 2:08 am

V for Vendetta is really good.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®