Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / Boycott Quetzel
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 11:51 pm

Quetzel. it's the new san francisco themed coffee shop on union. so I was forced into early retirement because I didnt respond properly to the obnoxious, grab ass owner. The dude talks a lot of trash about Memphis - "cheese eating christians", "disgusting people, poor taste" (true), bunch of shit. anyways please dont go there. the dude's a prick. and definitely dont work there. he harasses the kitchen and steals tip jar money from the baristas.

we dont need your yuppie queer haven in this town
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:26 am

isn't your high point on union now?
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:29 am

I saw that high point last night, while searching for an open post office.
I wanna roast their coffee.

There was a thread way back about Quetzal coming to Memphis, somewhere...
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:30 am

Q: The Winged Serpent. Great movie.
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:34 am

he should include himself in the "poor taste" department if he has anything to do with the Shitty-Amsterdam-club music that is blasting in there...godawful bad Electro Samba with even worse techno accompainment, euro-trash bullshit...thats some bad taste.
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:38 am

Larry Cohen! Great Michael Moriarty role.

And I KNEW there would be problems with this Quetzal spot. Car=pet=bagg=ers. Jack--it is your chance.
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:43 am

Fuck it, it's across the street from work. I could use an iced latte right about now ...
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 3:54 am

but they have the sangria and the margaritas with sangria in them......
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 8:01 am

One breakfast there, some months ago....

Verdict: Terrible.
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 12:25 am

jager and a iced mocha and theres a kitty in the kitchen that gives 1/2&1/2 i take my coffee kitty free.i guess i'd rather pay $2.00 for a thimble of crack coffee at otherlands.mapco has great ambience and is aesthetically sufficient.
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 5:21 am

every time i go to otherlands,i feel wrong for financing that womans bad folk art collection and secret v.c. andrews library.
id feel better about where my $ was going if you did start roasting beans,j.s.
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 3:11 pm

No kidding.

secret v.c. andrews library.

Who keeps these gems secret????? I am convinced these novels only intent was to create a generation of girls with incest fantasies.
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 4:57 pm

VC Andrews kept a generation of girls who had outgrown Judy Blume and Sweet Valley High reading...the publishing company continued to out novels by Andrews even after she had passed away written by ghostwriters.
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 6:33 pm

I am way too old for Sweet Valley High and read the first two VC Andrews novels because my MOTHER had them and I had already devoured her Danielle Steel and The Joy of Sex. Maybe I am unusual for a "girl", but there were plenty of other books interesting to me for just regular old reasons (like being GOOD--even to a, jeez, girl) and my other unusual girl friends. VC Andrews was/is pap.
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 6:42 pm

rachel--i apologize for the snarkiness, but that is a big assumption that always drives me crazy (that all preteen & teen girls read is Judy Blume and VC Andrews and Sweet Valley High and Telenovels). That is total bullshit--a lot of girls were and are reading all kinds of things at that age. Sure, chick lit is popular but women read a hell of a lot more than that shit.
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 6:52 pm

usually if i'm drivin for coffee i'll go the OTHER WAY instead of goin to the otherland.that uptight bitch that owns the place needs to get some OTHER plan for a menu as in yeah i'll have the 4 dollar eggo for starts with a salmon plate and a cup of scoffee. gimmee a fuckin break and not a 3 dollar kit kat bar either.
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 7:32 pm

Otherlands always makes your clothes and hair smell like burnt bagels even if you are only in there for 5 minutes.

Oh, Jack?
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 8:41 pm

The air roaster I wanted got sold (loved that machine, but really, it was a bitch with maintenance and 3-phase 220W electric bill to be running all day; and it was LOUD).
Working on a new method of roasting, actually. I still Pan roast, but I'm trying to develop a variation of air roasting. Once I get the consistency right, I'll probably start moving forward...
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 9:56 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

rachel--i apologize for the snarkiness

I didn't read it that way...

My reading habits growing up were admittedly not unique

Judly Blume led to SVH, then on to VC Andrews at around 11 or 12...then on to Stephen King, Anne Rice, The Sleeping Beauty trilogy, Henry Miller, Burroughs, Bukowski, Kerouac, Paglia, you know, the obvious...

Now I enjoy Gaiman and Horby without blinking an eye...But I've also probably read more Derrida than any person on this board (I took a class with Alan Bass, his editor, at The New School, I even got to meet him at the premiere of terrible documentary about his life)...

Reading is reading, it's always better to do it than not.

We now return you to our originally scheduled program, "Boycott Quetzel!"
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 12:22 am

OK, good, I just got my trigger pulled by what I presumed to be more of that age old assumption of what girls "do". Back then (early junior high), I read literally everything from Glamour Magazine to VC Andrews to Daphne duMaurier to Jane Austen to Penthouse Forum to Vogue Magazine to Danielle Steel to any other trash paperback my mom had...in other words, anything I could get my mitts on.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 1:34 am

I must be a freak. Or, well, older.
I've never read any chick lit...it's boring to me. SE Hinton was my chick lit. When I was a kid I was scrounging the Bartlett library for biographies, the Beats, Salinger, SE Hinton, and "now" poetry.
The librarian started out saying "Honey, that's the adult section" but finally just left me alone.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 2:21 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

Oh yeah, SE HINTON. Salinger was high school. I also started getting into nonfiction in high school (still my favorite) too. Bios and Autobios in junior high--"Little Girl Lost" and whatever the Lauren Bacall one was. Oh and that book about the crazy loon who was pretending (and fooling everyone) to be Anastasia, the future Czarina. I loved that kind of crap. Do books about fashion designers count? I also read all the emo sports stories in Sports Illustrated.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 2:22 am

Oh...and don't forget TRUE CRIME. My first was 'The Stranger Beside Me' by Dame Ann Rule.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 2:25 am

I still love Vonnegut, but cringe everytime someone annouces they've discovered their "carass."
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 4:42 am

they discovered two of em out by the mall of memphis.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 6:44 am

Ahh, Judy Blume. I never touched SVH but lawd did I snarf some Judy back in the day. Thank Maude too, since that was pretty much my sex ed.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 6:56 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

Blume.
Fourth Grade Nothing was good
Superfudge a letdown.
Blubber, well, fat girl in suburb Jersey with asian friend. Not so much.
Later, I ventured out to John Fitzgerald's "The Great Brain" series (tales of Catholics in Mormon Utah).
I never saw any book lead further than "Bunnicula", by Dorothy Howe. I mea, c'mon. A dog and a cat solve a mystery about a vampire bunny? Yes.

So ends my grade school novel experience. I read a bunch of other shit later. But never V.C. Andrews. Chick book.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 6:59 am

Cleary with Ralph and the Motorcycle Mouse I recall as being pretty good, too.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 8:59 am

I have fond memories of A Wrinkle in Time...
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 3:57 pm

Beverly Cleary was better than Blume--Ramona the Pest? Ellen Tibbetts? FUNNY shit. she was from Portland and the neighborhood I live IN (barely--we are the "ghetto block" they don't claim) was where she got all the names for Ramona's neighborhood. Cleary may have lived there too, I dunno. I really liked the original illustrations in her books too. They changed them in the 70's and they were crappy.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 4:13 pm

When I was real little I was way into "The Borrowers" series. Also, Nancy Drew. Loved A Wrinkle in Time, too (still have my little girl copy!)
Read a bunch of plays and drama in HS (drama club kid). Also, bios of more actors than I can name. Went on an old Hollywood kick for a couple of years and know tons about obscure 20s and 30s actors.
I didn't get into true crime until I was in my 20s. Read so much of it that I finally creeped myself out, and haven't read any in a long time.

Now it's still mostly bios and English mysteries.
I've just never been real fond of fiction, even when I was young. Course I've read all the fiction you're "supposed" to read...

Thread officially hijacked. Sorry! Boycott Quetzels!
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 5:39 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

$2.00 for a thimble of crack coffee at otherlands

You ain't lyin. It's rocket fuel.

Quetzel sounds gay, grab ass or no.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 7:22 pm

I'll have coffee at otherlands, but I have a hard time eating there after I ordered a bagel and the girl fixing it wiped her hands on her jeans that I don't think had been washed ever, even by the previous owner(s). I was really grossed out, I mean her jeans were nas-tay.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 8:17 pm

For Blume, I preffered Deenie, Forever, and Are you there God?...

I must, I must, I must...

JS, please tell me you read these....
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 8:28 pm

I glanced through Are you there God, 'cause I heard there were dirty parts...
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 8:39 pm

Forever was my first sex book...
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 9:14 pm

Its been FOREVER since you posted something interesting. get up, go outside, meet the firey ball in the sdky known as the sun.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 9:22 pm | Edited by: elle

i liked judy blume, but then ended up skipping the v.c. andrews. i think maybe i read one of her books and was pretty much unimpressed, and that was when i was in the proper age bracket. i read whatever i could get my hands on, but mostly stuff my mom had or some historical fiction. i really was into steinbeck. admittedly, still am into steinbeck. still like to read bukowski too when i am in bitter, drunk mode, which is a lot of the time. but mostly read historical or philosophical texts.

derrida is great. probably haven't read as much as you have though, rachel. one of my fav profs from u of m actually studied under him for awhile. same guy wrote a bio on sartre too. pretty neat stuff.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 9:23 pm

Its been FOREVER since you posted something interesting. get up, go outside, meet the firey ball in the sdky known as the sun.

are you talking to me?
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 9:25 pm

Sartre. Now you're talkin'...
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 11:31 pm

still like to read bukowski too when i am in bitter, drunk mode,

Weirdly, Bukowski makes me feel all happy. I like to read him too when I feel bad, but because it makes me feel better. Like, way better.
I guess misery loves company, eh?
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 11:38 pm

yall can talk about whatever you want as it is not at Quetzel.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 11:38 pm

as long,
I mean
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 11:45 pm

I guess misery loves company, eh?

my favorite of his is a poem called "alone with everybody"...however it does not make me feel better except in the fact that maybe someone else does feel the same way. heh.
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 12:36 am

I read a few Bukowski books at the same time I read my first Raymond Carver books. Raymond Carver wins hands down. I mean, B is good but I always associate him with Carver now and Carver was just so much better. This was early 20's reading.

And yes, boycott Quetzal! I would have boycotted Otherland's long ago when I lived there due to the snotty service, lecherous middle aged men who hang out there every day and burnt bagel smell, but I am an espresso addict and honestly, they do a pretty good job most of the time. After getting spoiled out here we went there when home for a few days a coupla years back and Otherlands satisfied.
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 1:43 am

don't boycott Otherlands...

go see great live music there on Friday and Saturday nights!!

everyone has been super nice!
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 4:09 am | Edited by: dirtywhite

when i was in third or fourth grade my bookbag,a hefty sack,broke revealing a childrens book called "What to do When Your Parents say,'Clean up Your Room!!!'", Blubber,Catcher in the Rye,an open pack of vantage ultra-lights,a bunch of cracker wrappers and some rat traps.
as for otherlands,the people who work there ARE super nice,but the owner is seriously incompetent as far as dealing w/the public and would be better suited for work at mlg+w where she could sit in her folk arty cubicle reading flowers in the attic.
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 5:11 am

i like the people who work at otherlands now. a lot of my friends have worked there over the past 10 years so i haven't ever had snotty service.

lecherous middle aged men who hang out there every day

oh lord. don't even get me started on that...*shiver*
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 5:15 pm

My snotty service came from one or two particular people, the rest over the years were fine, if a little incompetent here and there.

And, all coffee shops have the lecherous men component, so it isn't fair that I pick on Otherlands really. Bit there is something really ewwww about the Midtown Memphis middle aged men.
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 6:25 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

I would have boycotted Otherland's long ago when I lived there due to the snotty service

I get the "you're not from around here, are ya" look, but no rudeness. I always get my coffee to go, so whatever happens in the social microcosm of coffee shops doesn't faze. I'll go to a chain with a strictly enforced code of employee cheerfulness before I'll subsidize attitude from too cool people working a counter anywhere.
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 6:36 pm

I'll go to a chain with a strictly enforced code of employee cheerfulness before I'll subsidize attitude from too cool people working a counter anywhere.

Yeah, that is what you say until you get hooked on the crack that is excellently roasted, fresh, fine coffee. I used to laugh too...until I got hooked. Then I dealt with the snottiest counter people in town until they finally broke and they give me freebies all the time and nothing but smiles. Memphis doesn't have true crack coffee...yet (ah hum--JACK). I did resort to Starbucks in Mt. Pleasant, SC and it wasn't bad, but they don't even pull fresh shots, they have these premeasured pod thingees as they don't trust those smiley teenagers to be a real "barista".
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 7:50 pm

ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS INSTATE A GONER BOYCOTT OF QUETZEL>>>>>>>>>>>>WHAT HAPPENED>>>>>AAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHHA
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 7:57 pm

premeasured pod thingees
I detest those. There is an art and logic to tamping the grinds.
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 8:02 pm

And it's coming, firey, I assure you. Just gotta kill off some debt first (I hate you, Sallie Mae).
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 8:17 pm

There is an art and logic to tamping the grinds.

Yup. And you MUST have freshly ground coffee (like that minute) to get good crema! Don't they get it?
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 8:19 pm

precisely.
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 8:28 pm

ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS INSTATE A GONER BOYCOTT OF QUETZEL>>>>>>>>>>>>WHAT HAPPENED>>>>>AAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHHA

what always happens...
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 9:45 pm

Is there anywhere in town to get Cuban-style coffee? I loooooooooove that stuff ....
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 10:02 pm

Holy shit. Cafe con Leche RULESSSSSSSSSS!! You know you can approximate that by adding sugar to the espresso in the shot basket. And use condensed milk as the leche. YUM!!!!
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 10:05 pm

True cafe cubano has sugar sprayed on the beans right after roasting to make a sweet glaze. But fiery is right about the substitution if you can't find it...
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 4:34 pm

Does anyone roast good cafe cubano anywhere? Natch, no one out here does. In fact, people would probably turn their nose up in their air and say, "Hmph. This is not TRUE coffee. And anything using the Cuban name is an affront to our brothers and sisters in Cuba who are most definitely NOT being involved in free trade and the betterment of their coffee fields by us, the benevolent American caffiene cognoscenti."
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 4:56 pm

dude, I just can not seem to get into coffee...

I drank a Starbucks "Iced Coffee Light" this morning and now I'm all jittery and can't concentrate...only three stories due by 3PM... GREAT!
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 6:17 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Do you not drink it everyday? If not, don't start at this point.

Once you are addicted, you have to have it to even function right in the AM. It is worse than nicotine.
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 7:49 pm

nope...i'm back to normal now, but that sucked. I guess I shouldn't have downed in all in one gulp.
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 7:57 pm

Yeah, good idea, but the iced coffees are delectable. I am at a point where I just wake up a little bit more after 2 shots of espresso--it barely phases me, but I must have it to even think about driving to work.
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 8:55 pm

the boycott is going strong! keep it up!!!

(it is my belief that time spent on this post discussing things other than the subject is actually time spent away from that San Fran implanted tumor.)
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 8:58 pm

I haven't been since it opened. But ever since you started the boycott, I refuse to go because of you! That, and I haven't been anywhere near there...
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 9:07 pm

Memphis is the right place to do an easy boycott, esp. of a business from California. Just start one nasty rumor--true or half-true--and it will get around faster than a wildfire. Try being a teenage girl in Memphis and going out with someone's boyfriend accidentally (or not), you will basically have "SLUT!" plastered across every D Canale billboard in the metro area.
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 10:39 pm

I'm not honoring the boycott cuz the place is about 50 yards from where I'm sitting, and their iced lattes kick ass. sorry ...
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 11:28 pm

I live 50 yards from Quetzal, and I will support said boycott...its like going into a really lame Amsterdam Coffee Shop, but there is no hash menu.
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 12:28 am

Yeah, but you hate everything, Vinyl.
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 3:54 am

boycott all coffeeshops go to the store get a pound of foldgers invite your suto intellectual buds over "hmmph" and listen to simon and garfunkel till theres nothin but silence in your head "ENLIGHTENMENT" and your shakin so hard from the feinee that you begin to write BAD poetry.i can see it now call it the cheap route coffee shop.or just go to coles on fri bring a coffee maker of your preference and listen to him play the auto harp and eat bee pollen i'm sure he has a copy of kerouac somewhere get out there on the road fri at coles.thats what he wants quetzall sucks coles coffee shop is a marvel and he doesn't charge for some kinda fru fru fuck you drink.
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 5:27 am

you're a suto
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 6:08 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

get a pound of foldgers

Abe. No. Never.
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 8:52 am

lesson: quetzel was strategically placed. feel good target market, feel reeeeeeeeel good.
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 4:51 pm

Yeah, but you hate everything, Vinyl.

not true, I have gone on record as loving the Deli Mexicana known as Las Tortugas, Italy, Latin recordings of the 60s and 70s, hash, I love so many things I am like a freakin' one person freakin' love in...
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 5:20 pm

coffe shop assholes annoy me worse than surly barflies, people begging for change and door-to-door home alarm system salemen. What the fuck are you doing sitting around all day sipping your fucking $6 dollar coffee? Put down that copy of Das Kapital you're pretending to read and go to work, you sanctimonious prick. And wash your fucking hair.

(my friends that read this forum and frequent Othelrands, or whatever other gay area coffee shop are excused, because I know y'all are just cruising for coffe shop whores. be they male or female.)
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 5:53 pm

yeah, i think this has been covered before, I don't get people that hang out at coffee shops.

but it's cool - whatever...

I once did a photo shoot with Ron Frankiln, at the Arcade (can you believe it?) and he had some philosophy book (can't remmeber which one, but it was an obvious one) that he insisted on having t on the table during the photo. I didn't say anything, because he's a cool guy, but I thought it made the pic no more original than photographing a guy with a mohawk and a leather jacket sitting on the curb onAvenue A.

here's the pic we settled on:

http://www.rachelandthecity.com/Gallery/coppermine/albums/Red%20Cross/ normal_cafeboy_2.jpg

BTW, I did see a kid once with a mohawk and a leather jacket in the esat village begging for money. I just laughed and winked at him, then I said - wow - how retro!
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 6:00 pm

That book looks like a cup of coffee to me
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 6:12 pm

yeah, that's why I said, "we settled on this one" - should have added we moved him from the table to the counter.
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 6:13 pm

GREAT pic too
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 6:15 pm

That is exactly where Shrews took videos of me, himself and a few others "snorting" lines of sugar for his portfolio--and look where that got him (I'm sure it didn't make it in)!!!
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 6:53 pm

next time make him pony up the real deal!

tell him you're a method snorter!
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 7:21 pm

Yeah, right--I just have one phrase in response, "Juvenile Weed". Anyone who recalls this particular, um, strain and incident in Memphis videomaking/Shrews history will know what I am saying.
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 12:16 am

your a cuto i'm a pluto toodalootow somoto /fino solutio yayo can't waito
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 12:20 am

Deli Mexicana known as Las Tortugas

That place is fucking amazing. Too bad it's further out than Shelby Farms.
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 1:19 am

Deli Mexicana known as Las Tortugas

I'm gonna have to check that out ...
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 1:29 am

where it at? i go way out.
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 1:54 am

All the way out by the Dry Tortugas ...
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 2:08 am | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

where it at

Half a block from my pediatrician, near the corner of Germantown Pkwy and Wolf River or some shit that sounds like it's out of a D&D adventure -across the street from a Chick-Fil-A.

Here is my pediatricians address:
[a href="http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?address=1255%20S%20Germanto wn%20Rd&city=Germantown&state=TN&zipcode=38138%2d2227&country=US&title =%3cb%3e1255%20S%20Germantown%20Rd%3c%2fb%3e%3cbr%20%2f%3e%20Germantow n%2c%20TN%2038138%2d2227%2c%20%20US&cid=lfmaplink2&name="]Map of <b>1255 S Germantown Rd</b><br /> Germantown, TN 38138-2227, US[/a]
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 2:09 am

Damn, the Internet has AIDS.
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 3:06 am

first laugh out loud of the day

thanks.
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 4:48 am

Hey RumplePeeBrain,

Your ID is not funny. Look how funny mine is. How does it feel to be so unfunny?
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 3:37 pm

the best part of wakin up is COFFEE AT YOUR HOUSE and a bag of bagels for $3 bucks do you know how many bagels are in that bag ALOT thats right ALOT.
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 4:57 pm

deli mexi cana...too hungry to drive
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 6:42 am

i worked at otherlands for months and it was equally the most awesome and most miserable experience of my life. the aforementioned evil hippie boss and sleazy porch dudes were responsible for the misery.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 8:12 am

Ok, I've got a good one about that portly irritant with the poodle. He's one of the more miserable porch barnacles at Otherlands, of the type that never seems to go home or have a job, or life. I get the three overly round ones confused, as they seem to share the same bad habits, like butting into your conversations and talking really loud so that everyone is up to date on, say, their shitty taste(s) in movies. So the one with the poodle:

He came into the Deli one early evening, in '01 or so, when I was getting a headstart on the boozing. He brought the poodle in and put it on a stool. Then he went to the bathroom, leaving that stupid kinky-haired, eating-and-shitting-machine to be fawned over by easy-to-please patrons and maybe an employee or two. He returned from the crapper, I waited about ten minutes, then I called the Deli with my cell. I told them that I was a disgusted patron that just witnessed a "big guy" washing his dog in the men's room sink. They said, "nuh uh!!!" I said "uh huh!!!" I felt a big giggle coming on, so I had to hang up.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 8:19 am

And I find the service to be hilarious, it doesn't even get on my nerves anymore. I feel that the business owner probably allowed this behavior for years due to a strong customer base and slight monopoly on the market in that neighborhood. In fact, I got the feeling that the business owner was sort of proud of the trademark snotty attitudes. Now, it's a different story I feel. They are losing customers, hence the gut-busting offer to volunteer "comments" that's tacked up near the register. This is just guesswork.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 8:22 am

ha!

poodle dude always paints hideous watercolors of otherlands female patrons he finds attractive, then gives them away to the ladies, who tend to be polite about it but are clearly horrified. i wonder how many of his "pieces" are lying beneath the otherlands porch, after having been hastily shoved through the cracks of the floor boards.
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 8:27 am

I did a similar picture with lines of sugar onthe table at Sun studio for my unreleased solo record with Roy, Scott Bomar,Trixie etc...Taken by Jeff Evans. If I can find it, I'll post it....Funny stuff!
Posted: Jul 29, 2006 9:56 pm

boycott poodles in general and old me n who use droolin colors. jesus i am utterly appauled by this so called man ostrascize him from the planet.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 1:59 am

poodle dude always paints hideous watercolors of otherlands female patrons he finds attractive, then gives them away to the ladies, who tend to be polite about it but are clearly horrified

NUN-UH!!!
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 2:02 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

And dtrain--he and Brooke Prudhomme actually had video of this (along with some other very classic 1998 "bits" starring myself, Earles, Shrews, Brooke, Megan Reilly, Gina Barker, Heather Belz, Dunlap, Matthew Johnson and godknowswhoelse)...I'd give my eyeteeth for that tape right now.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 2:58 am

That's the one in which I was driving the minivan around midtown, beer in hand (hanging out of window), yelling "HAVE YOU SEEN MY WIFE?!?!?! WHERE IS MY WIFE!?!?!?!" at people working in their yards. Seeing as how Brooke's father is my mom's accountant, I was surprised one day by my mom saying, "I hear there's an interesting video tape of you and your friends driving around Mr. Prudhomme's minivan." I think that Brooke left the tape in the camera or something, and returned it to her dad.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 3:02 am

Brooke left the tape in the camera or something, and returned it to her dad.

BONER!!!!!!
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 3:17 am

A stiffy.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 3:22 am

Oh god. Megan actually was "The Wife" at one point and I swear I thought this one couple (this was July 4th and plenty of people were in their yards that day) was going to call the fucking cops on us/Earles for domestic violence. Rolling Rock bottles were rolling around the floor of the minivan cos Earles kept downing them and tossing em back like he was "The Redneck Abusive Alcoholic Husband." He was feeling it.

Megan actually got mad at Brooke eventually and THREW THE TAPE IN THE GARBAGE. I let her have it to this day for that.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 3:31 am

re: poodle guy and his "artwork"- YES.

months. of. misery.
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 3:57 am

A stiffy.

Dude! You're supposed to be at a Redbirds game with your mom! You stood us up for orchestral Styx to sit at home and post on the Goner Board -BUSTED!

I actually meant "BONER!" in the squeaky-clean 50s context as in "bone-headed move".
Posted: Jul 30, 2006 9:03 am

Sam,

FYI..

Here was afternoon schedule:

3:00 - 4:45: got some work done
5:30: Mom picked up Candace and myself, drove to Redbirds game
5:55 - 8:30: Sat in air-conditioned box/balcony with mom's co-workers, watching game, eating stadium-catered food, drinking beer, dropping acid
8:55 - 10:00: got more work done
10:15: went to show at hi-tone

I'm just CYA'in it, if you get my zipper-drift.
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 3:53 am

i think everyone should go to starbucks on union, because they let "cadillac" lee brown sit out front on the patio, as long as he wants, pretty as he pleases.
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 4:22 am | Edited by: SAMBEAUX

It's cool Andy. We didn't go either because the lady selling tickets at the Botanic Garden was such a bitch. Boycott Dennis DeYoung!

CYA'
Coverin' Your Ass?
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 4:26 am

that's CYA
Posted: Jul 31, 2006 6:21 pm

Ah-ha!

A possible reason for all the lecherous fools at cafes nationwide:

read and weep.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/31/business/31men.html?ex=1155009600&en =05ee0dcfefad812b&ei=5070
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 3:57 am

Not to spread scurrilous rumors on message boards, or anything, but I heard one of the Quetzal guys got deported. Is this true?
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 4:03 am

How would I know? I'm boycotting them, apparently.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 5:44 am

gah. the guys sitting at otherlands scare me. i had one grab my ass at a show at the deli and then look at me in that creepy weirdo eerie sort of way every time thereafter. then i had one of the guys that happens to also be married stalk me on myspace for awhile after robin and i saw him sitting there on the porch the day after the rockening. creeeeeeepy.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 5:59 am

Not me, robin, the other robin....
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:00 am

yeah the other robin who posts as robin. hahah. am i gonna have to start calling you jack stands again?! hahah.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 8:57 am

sounds like the republic cofee owner
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 9:30 am

nah. i met that guy too. robin and i were talking about how we missed going to republic and he said that he used to run the place and he just got tired of it. i miss the lentil soup from republic and the fact that it was open late.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 3:22 pm

The Portland version of the Otherlands patio is the Dishman Community Center pool. I have been going there a lot lately and it is frightening. Yesterday this hairy middle aged man wearing a long gold chain was twisting and turning and hanging over the side of the spa tub (which is off to the side of the massive indoor pool) ogling females over every point of the life span...he had this weird grin on his face.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:39 pm

Wait a minute, are you telling me there are two dudes named Robin that have managed coffee stores in Memphis? I'm calling Ripley's.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:56 pm

no, the other robin is a girl. not robin from the guacos who worked at republic at one point too. this robin is one of my best friends and lives in boston now. :)
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 4:52 am

the republic dude is a fucking scumbag piece of shit. FYI.

robin- i never managed otherlands, just worked there. i lived in memphis almost all my life up until december. i guess you would probably know my face if you saw me, and i would probably know you if i saw you. c'est la memphis!

one of the porch dudes grabbed my ass at melange (pre-dish) one night, and one of my co-workers snotted into his latte in solidarity. revenge is sweet.

lesson--- never fuck with people who make your food.
Posted: Aug 7, 2006 3:07 pm

my boycott has ended vicariously....

Mark and Joe of the Marked Men needed a caffiene fix before heading to the hi-tone. I sheepishly said, "there is a coffee shop at the end of the block...when you go out my door turn right and you can see it." I felt like I sold out.

dang.
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 6:33 pm | Edited by: Will

A+ classic thread
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 9:01 pm

reading is gay.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 2:25 pm

But, to be honest, Quetzal does suck.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®