Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Memphis / imerial lanes on summer to be razed
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 4:57 pm

apparently the bowling alley on summer has been sold to a land broker and will be razed soon. the 24 hour alley has been there since 1958 and the elderly owner has decided to sell. Summer Avenue is losing its rusty lustre. pats pizza, pop tunes, red lobster, k mart, market basket, admiral bimbo: all gone. at least they still got paris theatre and leahy
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 5:24 pm

I tried to do a photo shoot in their last summer- they were just like, "No!"

I was like, "I'll pay you 400 for an hour."

NO!
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 6:27 pm

they turned down the 40 Grams folks who wanted to film there, too.

Dammit! We coulda bought that thing and cleaned up. Bar, bowling, bands, Jack Stands coffee...

wargh!

NO NO NO! Was this in the paper?
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 7:00 pm

pats pizza, pop tunes, red lobster, k mart, market basket, admiral bimbo
Yeah, I'm kinda bummed about losing some of this stuff on Summer. Luckily, there's still a whole bunch of cool places, but...
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 7:23 pm

well, yeah, summer is still memphis, i lived a block off of it fur years. but as soon as the summer place lounge, shirleys and edo's is gone, aint much gonna be left. that carriage mall anitque house has a cool tea room. i like to go in there and hang out with the geriatrics. There aint too many cool places left on Summer. I hear Lotus is real good. Havent been there. Charlies meat market.

Hasn't been in the paper yet. There is a guy at imperial who has worked there since 4 months after it opened!!!
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 7:28 pm

can i buy an alley from 'em before they destroy it?
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 7:59 pm

Watch all the lanes go for $6.75 a pop, too. Just like my Skeeball machines...
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 8:21 pm

That was one of the coolest places left in town. A damn shame.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 8:46 pm

I think the worst is when " Sweets 4x4" lounge shut down. That place was fun!

And J.S. is right. They'll probably sell those lanes for dirt cheap. Probably to the asshole who bought the skeeball machines from the libertyland auction. You know, the cock who STILL won't call me back!
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 9:05 pm

CURSES!! This is BAD!
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 10:22 pm

where is dee when we need here?

jk.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 10:44 pm

I knew once the ramitinn shut down the fun was over . still its time to make FUN
frozen milk jugs bowled at empty milk jugs in there parkin lot
Im cereal as POST TOASTIES!!!!!
CMON lets goooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 10:50 pm

where is dee when we need here?

Great minds think alike, elle.

I was not aware that Edo was closed. The sign is still there ...

It's been downhill for summer since the totem pole of oil cans was removed from the old Auto Shack (how old-school is "auto shack"?).
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 10:55 pm

Edo ain't closed.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 1:44 am

yeah there open. getchya a bro boat. they got em fur cheap in fridays playbook
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 3:19 am

goner bowling night soon?
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 12:31 pm

Shit, that place is frikkin' great! What a shame! The Summer drive-in will be next! When we went bowling at Imperial Lanes a few years back, Jim Cole reckoned it hadn't changed since he was a kid!

The no photos rule is weird, eh? They were, like, "sure" back in '02, then real hardasses when we took of our our wedding guests up there last year - frequented by crims, or just stoopid management?

Ever since my first Memphis visit, back in 97, stuff's been disappearing at a rate of knots - I can't believe that the next time we hit town (working on it!), there'll be no Imperial Lanes, Two-Way Inn, or the Fairgrounds ...

Really, really fucking sad ...

Never mind, I'm gonna go home and cook me and Nadia a big fucking Irish steak each, which we'll cover in Dancing Pigs sauce, cos a mate of mine just brought me two bottles back! Yaay!
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 12:23 am

goner bowlin a MUST!!!!
kinda like ROCK N BOWL
LETS WORK ON THIS
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 12:27 am

The Summer drive-in will be next

When that happens, I will become a terrorist.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 5:59 am

But hey, at least "Ricky Motel" is still there (granted, not actually on Summer, but close enough).
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:01 pm

A close friend that I've lost touch with worked at Imperial his first and second years of college....5 - 12 pm shift every Friday and Saturday night. It doesn't get much more antiquated while still in operation...I loved that place. Bowled a few rounds with the lady recently. The bathrooms are terrifying. And so is my hangover.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:04 pm

I asked the manager if they had Wi-Fi. He trapped me behind the pins. It was torture!
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:34 pm

"WI FI? What the heck is that? We still have rotary phones! GET HIM!"
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 7:57 pm

Dont forget the razing of the Royal Oaks AKA "The Tomb of a Tanner"
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 8:27 am

here the story on the closings...
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/StoryLead.aspx?id=93680

a strip mall? Arent there enough vacant properties on Summer for a strip mall? There's a whole shopping center right at the corner of Summer and Whitestation!
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 8:34 am

Not that I want it all to go the "strip mall way", but Summer Ave. is endless opportunity way. I'll plant that roaster's on that street, eventually.
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 10:00 pm

Strike! No Chance for a Spare

JULY 26, 2006 - 11:32 AM

Off to bowling, girls!

The oldest and fanciest bowling alley in Memphis is scheduled to be demolished and replaced with a strip shopping center.

Imperial Lanes opened in 1958 at 4700 Summer. Along with its sister center, Cherokee Lanes on Lamar, it offered bowlers considerably more upscale surroundings and with 50 lanes, more bowling than any other place around town.

According to the Web site of the Memphis Area United States Bowling Congress, at one time, Imperial had "one of the finest sit-down restaurants in the entire city, complete with chefs, waitresses, and menu ordering. Many leagues had their end-of-year banquet there. The restaurant was closed in 1968 for a very odd reason no parking. Imperial was so busy that, unless you got there early, you had to park in an adjoining lot or on Summer Avenue."

In recent years, however, bowling alleys have added newfangled scoring machines and "cosmic" bowling using glow-in-the-dark pins and balls. Imperial had none of that; in fact, it didn't even offer automatic scoring.

The bowling equipment will be auctioned off. There is no definite date for demolition.

For photos of Imperial Lanes in its heyday, and a tribute to a Memphis landmark, go here:

http://www.memphisbowling.org/news_imperial_closing.html
Posted: Jul 26, 2006 10:04 pm

i don't want this to happen.

still, i love the word "razed."
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 5:16 am

Ok, two questions:

Where in the hell was the restaurant located? Did they already tear that part down years ago? I was in recently, and the only spot I can imagine would be next to and behind the snack counter (decent burger, better milkshake).

And what is inside of those decorative concrete enclosures on the front of the building? Old patio for the restaurant?

Otherwise, very sad situation.
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 5:25 am

inside the decorative enclosures was where they used to have the kiddie area - my parents used to send me there when they leagued it back in the late 70's...oy!
Posted: Jul 27, 2006 5:26 am | Edited by: boohyah

old restaurant area-

Wasn't it where they had indoor putt-putt?
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 5:37 pm

the deal went south. Imperial Lanes to remain open!!! fur now.
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 5:39 pm

hooray!
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 5:42 pm

we went out for jt's b'day in august and they weren't selling beer, kind of sucked, wonder if they will continue
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 7:03 pm

Wasn't it where they had indoor putt-putt?

Wow! I seem to remember that.
Posted: Oct 27, 2006 10:27 pm

they don't sell no beer! that's why they live so long.
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 3:15 am

now this is fucked up. they're systematically destroyin alla the bowlin alleys in america. i ain't got none around where i live.an my granmotherwas a ladies champ in the fifties. she had trophies all over the place an a lotta country records but i digress...bowlin rules!!!
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 4:30 am

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! First Royal Oakes, Then the Admiral and now Imperial? Indoor miniature golf seemed futuristic to me, I didnt care too much for the bowling but putt-puttin' indoors was rad. I always got a great laugh from the mutts and butts next door.

Whats next? Berclair Baptist?
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 4:35 am

Whats next? Berclair Baptist?

If that were to go, we will have lost the church with the funniest weekly message signs in all of Memphis.

d, what the fuck you doin' over here?
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 4:58 am

I grew up at berclair before they went all chinese and bros. Bill got voted out.
They were clever...remember "Remember the fourth but forget the fith" Took the time to show patriotic faith. I took communion there and the wine was substituted with grapee juice. I grew up in High Point so it was just an unfortunantly short ride to summer. Berclair turned my Grandfather democrat and , as he ages, raving mad.
Posted: Oct 28, 2006 5:19 pm

Does that goth dude still work there? The guy with the Christie's Cabaret shirt who smoked with the ashtray that had a skeleton guy holding a rose, and who glued model cars together all night long? I think he's friends with that Mrs. Fletcher band.

I remember bowling there after work at the Deli at 4 AM. I'll miss that place, knowing it won't be there much longer.
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 5:19 pm

Now THAT'S a bit of good news! Mebbe it'll still be standin' next spring, cos we're now planning to celebrate our secoind wedding anniversary with y'all ...
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®